PDA

View Full Version : Arranging my own music festival

dwaynie
04-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Hey!

Has anybody ever arranged their own music festival, and can maybe give me some advice, some nice resources, planning material etc.?

Thanks in advance!

kieblerh
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

CoachellaVet09
04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Required Materials: An 8 figure income, connections to big names in the music industry, large plots of land

Suggested Materials: Good taste in Music (Hasn't stopped EDC from happening every year)

Mugwog
04-17-2012, 09:53 AM
save some money and dont piss anyone off

theGold
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
You'd have to already be a music industry insider to pull it off. Start now (A/R, production, management etc) and you may be able to pull something together in 10 years if youre good at what you do.

theGold
04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Also, start small. Veryyyy small, like a one night event in a small venue with local bands. Coachella wasn't always the monster it is today.

Taylor
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I would suggest watching Wayne's World 2.

ocbruin84
04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
search for my threads lol

Josesativa
04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
cocaine . lots and lots of cocaine

jaysocal
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Step 1: Lose lots of money during year 1.
Step 2: Skip a year
Step 3: Have Perry Farrell save your ass
Step 4: Sell out to a major publicly-traded company

Digitalstereo
04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
cocaine . lots and lots of cocaine

Adding to this: more cocaine.

Digitalstereo
04-17-2012, 11:40 PM
On a more serious note:
1. You need: Loads of dedication.

2. You need: Lots of money or sponsors/partners with legal bindings to rent top of the line sound systems and a sound and visual engineer(s).

4. You need: to find a suitable venue and security staff along with providing essential utilities to your event goers.

5. You need to obtain legal permits from the city and the fire department including working with police. (If you're doing this the legal way)

6. You need: To contact booking agents of professional entertainers or djs or what ever and prove to them that you mean business.

7. If everything works out fine and you manage to obtain all this: You need to become the supervisor of the event and make sure everything runs smooth. It's no fun to be honest. You really need to be on top of things when things go wrong; which they will.

EDIT: Forgot the most essential thing of all: Promoting your event efficiently and effectively. With out this you can book a great act, but if people don't know about it your event will fail. Promotion is not free and you need to have some one who knows about this help you out.

I'm in no way a professional or even a mediocre event organizer. This is what I've learned from talking to people in the industry and I sure as hell wish I had the money to throw people massive events but I don't so you may want to ask some one who has been doing this for a while.

Digitalstereo
04-17-2012, 11:51 PM
One final note: Have a budget. Don't over spend and don't underspend. Know the line between a quality vs crap vs going over the top. Going over the top isn't always the best way to go; it's knowing how to set your event to please every one.

Also the way your head lines are set up are also essential. Can't have no name dj finish the day for mr. mainstream dj or artist. Make sure you have people that can get the crowd going and will not kill the vibes. In other words have your musicians start them up with a good set then work them towards the gran finally.

Compare it to sex: Start too fast, you might just end the fun too soon and she won't be satisfied at all.

LiquidL
04-17-2012, 11:53 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

C'mon now don't laugh

Pipe dreams are made of this

CoachellaVet09
04-17-2012, 11:59 PM
On a more serious note:
1. You need: Loads of dedication.

2. You need: Lots of money or sponsors/partners with legal bindings to rent top of the line sound systems and a sound and visual engineer(s).

4. You need: to find a suitable venue and security staff along with providing essential utilities to your event goers.

5. You need to obtain legal permits from the city and the fire department including working with police. (If you're doing this the legal way)

6. You need: To contact booking agents of professional entertainers or djs or what ever and prove to them that you mean business.

7. If everything works out fine and you manage to obtain all this: You need to become the supervisor of the event and make sure everything runs smooth. It's no fun to be honest. You really need to be on top of things when things go wrong; which they will.

EDIT: Forgot the most essential thing of all: Promoting your event efficiently and effectively. With out this you can book a great act, but if people don't know about it your event will fail. Promotion is not free and you need to have some one who knows about this help you out.

I'm in no way a professional or even a mediocre event organizer. This is what I've learned from talking to people in the industry and I sure as hell wish I had the money to throw people massive events but I don't so you may want to ask some one who has been doing this for a while.

You liar, you literally learned all that from watching Wayne's World 2

Digitalstereo
04-18-2012, 12:32 AM
You liar, you literally learned all that from watching Wayne's World 2

May be... ... ... I'll just run away now.

Whittick
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
My mate runs a festival in the UK, he earns five figures and doesn't struggle.

shoegazer76
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Much of it is about connections & how much $$$$$$$$ you have. Finding every tax loophole helps also.