PDA

View Full Version : Staying in Palm Springs

molocono
01-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi there!
How far is the drive from Palm Springs to the venue? Is it a pain in ass drive?

Peabs42177
01-23-2007, 08:09 AM
About twenty minutes or so, and it's not bad at all.

scoop49er
01-23-2007, 08:15 AM
im staying in plam springs as well and from what im getting from everyone, as long as you leave early 10-11am you will be fine getting there. the trip back is a pain but thats expected. some people have said they have left around 1pm and didnt get in till 445pm. so we shall see.

scoop49er
01-23-2007, 08:16 AM
plam? jesus i need to spell check! lol

I_am_138
01-23-2007, 05:25 PM
It's more like 45+ minutes. You guys are nuts who say 20. I used to live there. If your hotel is near a freeway entrance in Palm Springs it's closer, but you have to take TONS of surface streets even if you get on the freeway. If you give us an address I can tell you the fastest route. Mapquest doesn't know shit half the time.

Gersh
01-30-2007, 06:25 PM
It's more like 45+ minutes. You guys are nuts who say 20. I used to live there. If your hotel is near a freeway entrance in Palm Springs it's closer, but you have to take TONS of surface streets even if you get on the freeway. If you give us an address I can tell you the fastest route. Mapquest doesn't know shit half the time.

I'm staying at the 'A Place in the Sun' hotel in Palm Springs.... I used mapquest and it says 35 minutes... know a quicker way? Thanks!

A Place in the Sun

www.aplaceinthesunhotel.com
754 E San Lorenzo Rd
Palm Springs, CA 92264

gaypalmsprings
01-30-2007, 06:46 PM
35 minutes without traffic. throw in 50,000 people or so, & add a few minutes to your commute. add a few dozen squad cars with orange cone traffic barriers, etc. maybe a couple hours if you catch bad traffic flow.

Avoid traffic by arriving a tad early & leaving a tad early.

If not, find a guy named Tad. Say hello to him for me. :lool

Adam2uBer
01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
On a regular day with no traffic...from on ramp to off ramp it takes about 20-30 minutes. Then from the freeway to the venue is about an additional 5-10 minutes.
BUT!!!!!
With the festival being in town...maybe 30+ on the freeway then about an hour+ getting to the venue since the traffic gets all cluttered within 2 or 3 blocks from the venue.

windscreen
01-31-2007, 07:29 AM
I stay in Palm Springs also, normally its no big deal HOWEVER, last year Sunday it took us 3 hours to get to parking. Expect the same on any day that sells out...and if it does i highly recommend going early.

smitt12
01-31-2007, 07:41 AM
From the Hilton Resort in Palm Springs? It's on Tahquitz Canyon Way.

amyzzz
01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
im staying in plam springs as well and from what im getting from everyone, as long as you leave early 10-11am you will be fine getting there. the trip back is a pain but thats expected. some people have said they have left around 1pm and didnt get in till 445pm. so we shall see.
Hey, that was me! On Saturday in 05. Yes, leave early and you should have no problem.

Miasmom
01-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I live literallly right down the street from the venue, every year i tell people to bypass the main off ramps (Monrore , jackson, jefferson) take 86S, exit Ave 52 and go thru the city of Coachella. i belive parking is off of 52nd. It's been easier that way in the past.

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
make sure you really know where you're going. the post above who talked about the surface streets is right. since coachella kinda forces you to leave the festival in a certain way, you want to be sure you know how to get back to your place. we were lost for an hour in palm springs in 2004. and that was quite hellish after the 2 hours it took just to leave the parking lot.

GirlFromMars
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
It's not usually that long. Except when theres traffic. And usually around coachella fest. time there is.

Legendary Lil
02-01-2007, 04:59 AM
We're from the UK and are camping at the festival however we're planning on staying in Palm Springs on the Wednesday night before the festival and the Monday night afterwards. Anyone have any tips on where to stay? Also getting to and from the festival as we won't be driving.

scoop49er
02-01-2007, 07:53 AM
we are gonna make palm springs on the 26th so i think that night we will take a little tour of indio just to scope out the place. i like to be prepared so i think ill check it out just to get familiar.. :)

~fab81~
02-12-2007, 02:49 AM
i read somewhere that theres a shuttle from palm springs to coachella... do ya think its a better idea to leave wayyyy early and get a taxi? or just try to find out more on the shuttle thingy? anyone know where in palm springs the shuttle is from?

xxfxx

KiwiCoachella
02-12-2007, 04:32 AM
i read somewhere that theres a shuttle from palm springs to coachella... do ya think its a better idea to leave wayyyy early and get a taxi? or just try to find out more on the shuttle thingy? anyone know where in palm springs the shuttle is from?

xxfxx

Are you sure? I thought there is no shuttles from the festival to palm springs but I could be wrong...

And you could leave wayyyy early and get a cheap(er) taxi but then you'd miss out on all the headline acts! I see you're coming all the way from the UK so if I was you i'd be willing to fork out a couple extra bucks to take in the full awesomeness of coachella.

~fab81~
02-12-2007, 04:51 AM
yes... i think we will get there way early in the morning, and probably leave really late at night so that we can catch all the headlines...

how much do you think a taxi is likely to cost? roughly... just to get a general idea.

xxfxx

KiwiCoachella
02-12-2007, 05:24 AM
yes... i think we will get there way early in the morning, and probably leave really late at night so that we can catch all the headlines...

how much do you think a taxi is likely to cost? roughly... just to get a general idea.

xxfxx

well from palm springs to the festival grounds is about 25 miles I think and it takes 20-30 mins on a good day.

However with the ridiculous amounts of traffic that will surely be on the roads following the close of each day I'd guess you'd be looking at a 1 to 2 hour drive so a taxi just wouldn't be worth it.

Possible solutions: rent a car, maybe split up the cost if you're going with others to coachella. Or just arrange/hitch a ride. There will be heaps of peeps travelling to Palm springs and being the attractive young lass that you are, I'm sure you'll have no trouble whatsoever finangling a ride from someone :)

~fab81~
02-12-2007, 05:34 AM
awww what a helpful reply...

welllllll as neither of us drive, we'll have to arrange something. if everyone is as helpful as you guys, im sure it wont take much working out.

*sigh* america is just toooooo big!!

xxfxx

minus_blindfold
02-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Me and 3 friends are staying in the Wyndham in Palm Springs for a night (on Tahquitz Canyon Way or whatever its called).... anybody else crashing there on saturday night? PARTAYYYYY

Fixer808
02-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Make sure you reserve early. My friends and I went with NO planning for 2001. We stayed at a Motel 6 in Mojave and drove in in the morning, got there before parking opened, somehow.

On the way out, we passed sign after sign along the highway saying No Vacancy. Eventually we drove for 3 or 4 hours to Victorville. It should have taken 2 hours, but stopping at places, and heavy fog in the mountains slowed us down.

Sure, we should have planned better, but we were just dumb 20 year olds!

Philthy
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I'll be driving to and from Palm Springs each day. Should have room for 2.

fever55
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM

fever55
02-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Janglngjack
02-14-2007, 10:08 PM
I live 2 hours away, but love that my Grandparent's have a place that's less then 10 mins away.... makes the weekend a very inexpensive trip!!

Mctommy
02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
also... if you can, park as close to an exit as you can when you park in the festival.

in 02, I parked literally RIGHT IN front of the entrance to the grounds (less than 70 yards away)

When we left, we just sat in the car drinking for an extra hour because traffic was insane.

Fixer808
02-15-2007, 07:49 PM
That would, of course, have been WATER you were drinking in your car... right?

NeverMyopic
02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I live literallly right down the street from the venue, every year i tell people to bypass the main off ramps (Monrore , jackson, jefferson) take 86S, exit Ave 52 and go thru the city of Coachella. i belive parking is off of 52nd. It's been easier that way in the past.

That is where I usually park - after I take my "secret route" to bypass all the traffic and cops (or actually go by them). This was coming from Palm Springs last year, and Lake Cahuilla camping the previous 4. It is a little bit of a longer walk, but you can park right away, and when you leave at night, you get out of the parking lot within 20 minutes. Then there is little hassle getting to the 111, back into Palm Springs. I'm doing the same route this year.

roscoemule
02-16-2007, 07:29 AM
We're from the UK and are camping at the festival however we're planning on staying in Palm Springs on the Wednesday night before the festival and the Monday night afterwards. Anyone have any tips on where to stay? Also getting to and from the festival as we won't be driving.

2 places I'd recommend would be:

The Orbit-In - very cool mid century modern hotel (orbitin.com)
The Movie Colony Hotel - very nice (moviecolonyhotel.com)

If those don't work or are too $$$, just try Orbitz.com and put in your criteria. Everyone (except the gay B&Bs) jack up their prices during that period, so don't be surprised at the prices. Good luck.

gaypalmsprings
02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
If you don't mind being gay or lesbian for the weekend, there are 40 gay & lesbian resorts in & around Palm Springs. One in particular charges $35/night for 2 people to tent, but it's for men only.

Paisleyy
02-18-2007, 09:51 PM
i live in palm springs, & it's never taken us more than fourty minutes to get there. it really depends on traffic, which usually gets heavier the closer you get to the festival. it's close enough.

toolisbomb
02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm going w/ my boyfriend, but we don't have a car. A friend is going as well but he's camping, so we may be renting out a condo..if he drops us off on Thursday night and picks us up on Monday, what are the chances that we'll be able to find rides to and from the festival grounds?

minus_blindfold
02-19-2007, 08:14 AM
were staying at the Wyndham in Palm Springs... what I figure is we can leave bright and early in a taxi and if we catch a buttload of traffic right near Polo Field we can just get out and walk the rest of the way instead of wasting our money on the taxi.

disgustipated
02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I rented a house in South Palm Springs last year...It took around an hour-hour and a half each day, but we left at 10-10:30.