PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt friday sold out??

theaenimatool
03-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I dont understand?? While RATM might be the most amazing moment I experience at Coachella, friday has the most consistently awesome lineup...by that i mean the most good bands in a single day (in my opinion of course)
OBSERVE:
SONIC FUCKIN YOUTH
CIRCA SURVIVE (dont hate)
SILVERSUN PICKUPS
COMEDIANS OF COMEDY
BJORK
GOGOL BORDELLO
BUSDRIVER
PEEPING TOM
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN

i fuckin KNOW im gonna have to miss some of these because theres so much shit i have to see.

anyway, my main question is, while friday is OBVIOUSLY much better than saturday (while good and does include the arcade fire and the decemberists!!, it IS the weakest lineup of the 3, with the weakest headliner (rhcp)), why is saturday sold out and not friday??

anyone agree?

ps. less than a month away, i cant believe it!!! best weekend of my life.

matsuolost
03-29-2007, 12:30 AM
albeit the headliners suck. saturday is far more consistent but whatever

crazzz2007
03-29-2007, 12:34 AM
I dont understand?? While RATM might be the most amazing moment I experience at Coachella, friday has the most consistently awesome lineup...by that i mean the most good bands in a single day (in my opinion of course)
OBSERVE:
SONIC FUCKIN YOUTH
CIRCA SURVIVE (dont hate)
SILVERSUN PICKUPS
COMEDIANS OF COMEDY
BJORK
GOGOL BORDELLO
BUSDRIVER
PEEPING TOM
JESUS AND MARY CHAIN

i fuckin KNOW im gonna have to miss some of these because theres so much shit i have to see.

anyway, my main question is, while friday is OBVIOUSLY much better than saturday (while good and does include the arcade fire and the decemberists!!, it IS the weakest lineup of the 3, with the weakest headliner (rhcp)), why is saturday sold out and not friday??

anyone agree?

ps. less than a month away, i cant believe it!!! best weekend of my life.

cause it's friday, that's why. people work. in order to go on friday, you have to take the day off. not everyone can do so.

see, logic never hurt anyone. use it.

Mivsy
03-29-2007, 12:56 AM
I completely disagree with the first post. Friday is by far the weakest in my opinion - only about 4 sets I want to see compared to around 10 on the other 2 days. Here's hoping for a few Friday additions.

Boourns
03-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Sunday is definitely the weakest. Out of necessity, I guess, because that day will be completely overrun by Rage fans anyway.

Not everyone can take Friday (and sometimes Thursday too) off work and school, that's why.

krunchy
03-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Yeah I think the work thing applies, but a lot of people who are coming from overseas aren't even bothering to go to friday. I think these people are on something that is affecting their good judgment, but that's just me. I am rather glad its not sold out though, more incentive to add some great stuff to the lineup.

Daft Fro
03-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Honestly, I think all 3 days are fucking great, and are all equal except Sunday having RATM, being the strongest headliner out of the other 2.

Other than that, my percentage of acts I want to see are all pretty balanced on each day, in one way or another.

shotglass75
03-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Honestly I think Thursday is the weakest. There is no one good playing compared to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'll probably just go those days anyways.

jayce
03-29-2007, 06:13 AM
people want to dance
saturday is dance night

TESTIFYTHIS
03-29-2007, 07:37 AM
one word....Bajork

gaypalmsprings
03-29-2007, 07:41 AM
when you look at the list of acts, Friday is the shortest

SFChrissy
03-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I hope it doesn't sell out that will mean I get that much closer to the stage for Stephen Marley!!!

grain
03-29-2007, 08:33 AM
i still think there's a top tier act or two to be added. probably going to be a really late add.

but i don't mind if it's not sold out on friday either...more room to run and make grass angels

fober
03-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah, there's not much going on Friday.

And I'm a pretty big Faithless fan.

Other than Bjork, no one on Friday could sell out a big show on their own (Interpol maybe?).

algunz
03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm looking most forward to Friday. Not just because of the acts, but there will be fewer people. Maybe not a remarkable amount to notice too much, but being that I've been every year and the crowds have just been getting bigger and bigger I look forward to even just a few less.

charlie1
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
a lot of people who are coming from overseas aren't even bothering to go to friday. I think these people are on something that is affecting their good judgment, but that's just me.

Hey! I'm comin on Friday! Don't tar us all with the same brush. No way i'd miss that mad bitch Bjork! She's stormin!

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out why people have such a problem with her, and i've come to the conclusion that they are THICK.

And, probably a little scared...... Mongolian throat singers take a bit of getting used to, but they're like Guinness, an acquired taste....

dontfeedthebird
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Not saying anything about RATM, but I'm going to have loads of spare time on Sunday.

FakePlasticMe
03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
You are all insane. With the exception of Arcade Fire on Saturday, Friday is by far the best day. The workday theory has to be the reason, because the headliners for the weekend suck balls. Red Hot Chili Peppers? Tiesto? Manu Chao? Paul van Dyk? Crazy ass Rage idiots? No thanks...

Not to say there aren't some great smaller bands playing over the weekend, but overall Friday reigns supreme.

suprefan
03-29-2007, 09:29 AM
What she said.

Hi Gina.... :waves:

Pixiessp
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm going to the Saturday show only and I wish I could go
on Friday but the two people I'm traveling with have to work.
The reason Friday isn't sold out has to be due to the fact that
people have jobs and can't get time off. Why else would they miss such
a great day of performers.

Silversun Pickups
Sonic Youth
Interpol
Felix Da Housecat
Jesus and Mary Chain
Brazilian Girls
Amy Winehouse

mchertron
03-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Friday is good but some people are just willing to pay for the days with the most bands , saturday and sunday. soon they will be adding more to friday , sahara tent headliner and more , this will then be sold out . coachella has a whole strategy on how to hype the festival up and than make sure its all sold out. This is also a long term strategy for future coachellas and its working.
i think we will see a lot of surprises at the start of april.

fac429
03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I agree that Friday is the strongest day. There are scattered acts on Saturday and Sunday that are interesting, but Friday is the only day that looked good enough for me to break out my wallet...

amdux
03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Bjork is like a solar eclipse....an otherworldly experience that many primitives don't understand and may actually be scared of, thinking god has punished them by blotting out the sun and creating churches and towers to the sky to try and erase the moon, which they actually believe is god's hand, or making sacrifices in god's name, or whomever or whatever they believe, so that their respective deity takes pity or gratitude on them and gives them the sun back for their crops and such

that is why friday isn't sold out

:afu

dontfeedthebird
03-29-2007, 09:54 AM
So wait. Because most people work and can't make it regardless of the lineup, is that why we shouldn't expect surprise additions?

(And I mean, Madonna/Kanye additions.)

Lt. Dangel
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
No offense to Golden Voice or whoever the hell else is profitting from Coachella, but THANK GOD Friday will have less people. IMHO Coachella is too crowded. Im going Friday ONLY for that simple reason, plus Sunday is likely to be annoying AND crowded.

rage patton
03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
You are all insane. With the exception of Arcade Fire on Saturday, Friday is by far the best day. The workday theory has to be the reason, because the headliners for the weekend suck balls. Red Hot Chili Peppers? Tiesto? Manu Chao? Paul van Dyk? Crazy ass Rage idiots? No thanks...

Putting Manu Chao in that list invalidates your entire post.
Anyways, on Friday, I only have 2 must see acts. Gogol Bordello and Peeping Tom. I also wanna check out Stephen Marley, Interpol and Bjork. But if I have to miss those ones... oh well. So only 2 must sees.
On Saturday and Sunday I have about 73659641 must see acts each day. And I KNOW some of them will conflict.
Besides Rage, I feel Saturday has the best line up. However, due to Rage, Sunday is the day I am most looking forward too.
To sell it out... additions will be needed. Im betting Friday will have a big Saharah act added (The Prodigy? Prince?). Also, Im hoping for act to demote the Arctic Monkeys.

Foppie
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Saturday for President! I made a list of each days artist that I would pay to see headline. Saturday has something like 23 where Friday is at a more manageable 17. Either way tough decisions will be made.

Boourns
03-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Not to say there aren't some great smaller bands playing over the weekend, but overall Friday reigns supreme.

I approve this message.

Phunkevil
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I hope there are enough diaper stands set up for all you cry babies. If you don't like an artist, don't watch them. Wow! It's really THAT simple!

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
tilly and the wall son

junior30
03-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Anyone who isn't excited for Manu Chao neds to be castrated immediately.

Boourns
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, multi-lingual Bob Marley wannabes are the best!

mistdevil
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
one word....Bajork

please respect and spell her name right,
BJORK RULES > RATM, RHCP

mburbey
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Bjork is like a solar eclipse....an otherworldly experience that many primitives don't understand and may actually be scared of, thinking god has punished them by blotting out the sun and creating churches and towers to the sky to try and erase the moon, which they actually believe is god's hand, or making sacrifices in god's name, or whomever or whatever they believe, so that their respective deity takes pity or gratitude on them and gives them the sun back for their crops and such

that is why friday isn't sold out

:afu

Exactly! Superstitious fools!

I, personally, am taking off Thursday, Friday and Monday and having to sell shit on ebay to do it. But that's how I pay for my tattoos, too, so I'm just spending tattoo money on my Coachella vacation.

mburbey
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
please respect and spell her name right,
BJORK RULES > RATM, RHCP

Some people think it's "cute" to misprounce her name like this.

Kill them.

fober
03-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Some people think it's "cute" to misprounce her name like this.

Kill them.

Yeah seriously. How could anyone possibly "misprounce" this:

Bj÷rk Gu­mundsdˇttir

thelastgreatman
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Friday being by far the best day kinda fucks my recreational activities. If Friday was Sunday it would be perfect, I'd save up my brain's chemicals for Interpol and Bjork and just get destroyed. Saturday and Sunday really require being in an ethereal state of mind just to be able to get interested in the headlines. Rock and a hardplace, dammit.

firesuite
03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I think this discussion about which day is the "weakest" is interesting. I don't find any of these days to be weak. They all possess a multiple number of artists that are at the top of their game, in terms of musicianship, relevance, and innovation...

Just because you don't like a band doesn't mean you can't appreciate them. The tolerance for tastes other than your own makes you an appreciative and open-minded individual, in all walks of life... which I thought was a characteristic of the majority of the type of person that would attend Coachella. It definitely used to be.

This constant bickering and putting others down for their personal passions and opinions is awkward and confusing, being on the message board of a festival that largely represents the counter-culture of thinkers, philosophers, and artists.

The antithesis of the entire aim of this gathering.

Am I too "old" for understanding this, and out of place at only 23 years old?

Crazy. I hope not.

PS Those of you that missed the point can safely use the response "it's a message board, we all have different opinions".

invisiblerobots
03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah seriously. How could anyone possibly "misprounce" this:

Bj÷rk Gu­mundsdˇttir

From the Bj÷rk FAQ:

So how am I supposed to be pronouncing her name then?

A2.3

You should pronounce her name as "Byerk". However, you will probably find that many British and American TV and radio personalities will call her "Beyork", which (of course) is wrong. Because many people foolishly think of her as "Beyork", you will quite often have to revert to this pronunciation when asking for Bjork items in shops for example, otherwise they might not know who you are talking about.

Bjork herself says that she does not mind that people always mis-pronounce her name. I'm sure that if she *did* mind, she could quite easily have set everyone straight a long time ago if she had really wanted to.

Gid's Note: To actually hear Bjork speak, download the file Bjorktalk.zip on ftp.uwp.edu where Bjork actually speaks her name several times. I also have a sound clip of her saying her sirname if anybody wants it.

Her surname is pronounced as "Gwithemundsdotter". This is a very difficult sound to describe in English text. It was sounded to my ears recently by an Icelander that lives close to me, but I'm an Englishman who struggles just as much with Icelandic pronunciation as anyone else, so I would welcome any other native Icelander to correct me if I'm wrong.

crazzz2007
03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Saturday and Sunday really require being in an ethereal state of mind just to be able to get interested in the headlines. Rock and a hardplace, dammit.

wtf???? who gives a shit about the headlines when there are so many fucking incredible acts playing all 3 days? If you can't enjoy the saturday and sunday lineups, then i feel really sorry for you. maybe coachella just aint your thing.

rage patton
03-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Worst post ever.
Too bad he has very few reggea sounding songs and his voice sounds nothing like Bob Marley's.
Therefore, your post has no relevance.

cbrl23
03-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Have you seen him live?

Sounds nothing like Bob Marley and is not really reggae.

5CFDPPX7ZAM

rage patton
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Have you seen him live?

5CFDPPX7ZAM

Deju Vu. Weird. I have a feeling I have said this before...

Thanks for backing up my point with a video though. Not great sound quality, but it definately proves he is not a reggae artists and he sounds nothing like Bob Marley.

luckyface
03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Have you seen him live?

5CFDPPX7ZAM

Wow, I want to puncture my eardrums after listening to that. F-ing terrible.

rage patton
03-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Wow, I want to puncture my eardrums after listening to that. F-ing terrible.

Yeah, that video does have terrible quality. That is NOT representative of Manu Chao's sound though. Find some better video clips or download some of his songs, and give him a second chance.

giomaniac
03-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Yes, stay in home or working...I want Bjork only for ME!!!!!!!

Ooooops...I need talk with my boss to see if he it's going give me the all weekend free. :rotfl

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
once again, tilly and the wall bitches.

crazzz2007
03-30-2007, 12:02 AM
even if friday doesn't sell out, it will be very close to a sellout. trust me, people who are looking forward to a less crowded day on friday are going to be sort of disappointed.

Boourns
03-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, weren't 40,000 3 day passes sold? Even if a lot of those tickets are in ebay hell, some single day tickets have been purchased as well.

cbrl23
03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry for the horrible video...but I was there and it brings good memories, guess that only works for me, and I could post one of his music videos but is not the same as the live show...but we are talking about Friday here, and I have to agree most of us have to work and I rather have Monday off, So I don't have to drive Sunday night.

alpharuin
03-30-2007, 01:00 PM
A good amount of people have school/work on Friday, thus less people are able to attend Friday.

MannyMacabre
03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
bjork is the only reason why im going that day. aside from sonic youth and interpol.

miscorrections
03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
i'm just skipping class on friday to go. sonic youth/jamc are too good to pass up.
plus i wanted the full experience.

rage patton
03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone who wouldnt skip school or work for this, doesnt deserve to go!

alpharuin
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
i'm just skipping class on friday to go. sonic youth/jamc are too good to pass up.
plus i wanted the full experience.

Exactly what I'm doing. :)

dualmoodswings
03-30-2007, 04:30 PM

You're a fuckin idiot, seriously, if you don't know this guy's work, don't write.

amyzzz
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm taking the entire week off that is leading up to coachella, plus the Monday afterwards.

McFearless
03-30-2007, 07:49 PM
For me Friday is all about Circa Survive and Arctic Monkeys...

Michelle
03-30-2007, 08:57 PM

AGREED COMPLETELY! i am leaving work on wednesday and not returning until tuesday. i don't care. coachella is the best thing in my life. i wouldn't put anything ahead of it.

Michelle
03-30-2007, 09:00 PM
and as far as the main topic of this thread, i think the tents are going to be sick and well worth the money. david guetta, benny benassi, and faithless. come on. that is going to be ridiculous!!

matsuolost
03-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Have you seen him live?

5CFDPPX7ZAM

HEY i was at that show!
and believe it or not it was the 2nd best last year right next to daft

kroqken
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I see no weak days in the lineup. there really is something for everyone. All of you complainers should rush out and buy Warped Tour tickets.

gaypalmsprings
04-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Everyone will be too tired to attend Friday because they will have been up all night watching Crowded House in Pomona.

Evaneezer
04-12-2007, 08:57 PM
because the only group worthwhile is Digitalism

Krash_Kronic
04-12-2007, 10:52 PM
in my opinion the only reason saturday sold out is because Tiesto is closing out the main stage. believe it or not but people want to see Tiesto

rage patton
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
in my opinion the only reason saturday sold out is because Tiesto is closing out the main stage. believe it or not but people want to see Tiesto

I think the combo of RHCP, The Arcade Fire and Tiesto sold out Saturday. Not just Tiesto.

because the only group worthwhile is Digitalism

There are so many things wrong with this post... I dont even know where to begin.

whomod
04-12-2007, 11:45 PM

Realy.

Honestly, whatever happened to youthful rebellion? Rock & Roll? Damn the man?

If my boss lets me?? Really, f**k your boss. Anyone who is going to attend Coachella soley on the goodwill of your boss or teacher really needs a lesson in sticking it to the man.

Xrawrthatboy
04-13-2007, 12:16 AM
once again, tilly and the wall bitches.

i will be there front and center. if im not, watch out for flying elbows.

but back to the point..
why isnt friday sold out?
because the KROQ kids:
-dont care for Bjork and Interpol
-thought "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dance Floor" got played out
-have never heard of either Sonic Youth (aside from an appearance on the simpsons) or Jesus and Mary Chain.
(FAWK YEAH RHCP/RATM!!!)

psycobetabuckdown
04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Realy.

Honestly, whatever happened to youthful rebellion? Rock & Roll? Damn the man?

If my boss lets me?? Really, f**k your boss. Anyone who is going to attend Coachella soley on the goodwill of your boss or teacher really needs a lesson in sticking it to the man.

I just told my boss today that I had to go to my cousin's cotillion (18th birthday celebration) in LA from Thursday through Saturday (I'm from the bay).

Anyone else give some badass excuses to skip work?

Xrawrthatboy
04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
I just told my boss today that I had to go to my cousin's cotillion (18th birthday celebration) in LA from Thursday through Saturday (I'm from the bay).

Anyone else give some badass excuses to skip work?

the gravity in your bed will be too strong to let you up for the three days.
using that one for school on friday, but then again they cant fire me from school.

Wheres the beef?
04-13-2007, 11:46 PM
people want to dance
saturday is dance night

Ahem to that!

suprefan
04-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Ahem to that!

Amen you mean.

airguitarvet
04-14-2007, 05:40 AM
best thread ever

woogie846
04-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Not saying anything about RATM, but I'm going to have loads of spare time on Sunday.

Same.

I happen to love Friday. Bjork, Interpol, JAMC, Jarvis Cocker, Sonic Youth, Silversun Pickups, Gogol Bordello, Rufus Wainwright, Of Montreal...sounds pretty good to me.

DeltaSigChi4
04-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Reason: Bjork sucks.

E

mandelbaum
04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
So wait. Because most people work and can't make it regardless of the lineup, is that why we shouldn't expect surprise additions?

(And I mean, Madonna/Kanye additions.)

Is anyone else sick of people talking about additions?

R3d Snapper
04-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Is anyone else sick of people talking about additions?

No, its part of the fun

M Sparks
04-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Everyone will be too tired to attend Friday because they will have been up all night watching Crowded House in Pomona.

??? They are in Tempe on Thursday the 26th.

Boourns
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it's the Jesus and Mary Chain that will play Pomona on the 26th. Crowded House on the 27th. Hey now, hey now.

take meta mars
04-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Fridays going to be awesome.
Saturday is going to be awesome.
Sunday is going to be awesome.

rage patton
04-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah, it's the Jesus and Mary Chain that will play Pomona on the 26th. Crowded House on the 27th. Hey now, hey now.

Dont dreeeeeeeeeeam its over!

This man speaks the truth!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Finally someone who isn't bitching about one of the days!!