PDA

View Full Version : VIP...what does it really get you?

d money
04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Trying to decide if a VIP pass is worth it. Asides from getting to drink in a chained off area are there any other advantages to this? Inquiring minds really want to know.

socalguy100
04-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Not worth the extra money. You get access to the VIP areas, nicer bathrooms, less crowded bar. You don't get a better view of the stage though.

Riggins33
04-16-2012, 12:21 AM
You get free pizza...pizza partys.

tigermilkboy
04-16-2012, 06:49 AM
It makes your dick 1/4 inch bigger.

TomAz
04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Trying to decide if a VIP pass is worth it. Asides from getting to drink in a chained off area are there any other advantages to this? Inquiring minds really want to know.

Plusses:

- VIP parking is a lot closer than day parking and less crowded, and I never saw a line at the VIP entrance, so getting in and out is much easier. (If you're camping this is not an advantage, however).
- VIP lounges are a pleasant place to escape and recharge a bit during the day

Minuses:

- At night VIP lounges felt like some sort of alternative universe anti-Coachella where everyone is a douchebag and no one is interested in music.
- Bars get quite crowded in the evening

oldfart
04-16-2012, 08:51 AM
A lighter wallet

Buddha99
04-16-2012, 10:18 AM
The quick exit from VIP gets you to the In-N-Out drive-thru before closing time!

True dat!

TickleMeElmo
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Doesn't it get you into those barricaded-off areas like in the Sahara and Outdoor Theatre? I recall seeing several people's wristbands in their and all they had was a VIP wristband.

ballgame
04-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Doesn't it get you into those barricaded-off areas like in the Sahara and Outdoor Theatre? I recall seeing several people's wristbands in their and all they had was a VIP wristband.

Yea it seemed like they cornered off areas at the front right of the stage for VIP wristband people. For some reason i do not remember those on friday though.

TomAz
04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

No that area is for 'guests' or something. I understand that sometimes they let VIP in though. I didn't try.

ballgame
04-16-2012, 02:40 PM
No that area is for 'guests' or something. I understand that sometimes they let VIP in though. I didn't try.I saw people get to the photo area between the rail and the stage with XIII on the wristbands, is that what you are talking about?

dekelou
04-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Plusses:

- VIP parking is a lot closer than day parking and less crowded, and I never saw a line at the VIP entrance, so getting in and out is much easier. (If you're camping this is not an advantage, however).
- VIP lounges are a pleasant place to escape and recharge a bit during the day

Minuses:

- At night VIP lounges felt like some sort of alternative universe anti-Coachella where everyone is a douchebag and no one is interested in music.
- Bars get quite crowded in the evening

Access to the VIP entrance was not routinely available for those VIP that took the shuttles since some security wouldn't let you walk from the shuttles to the VIP entrance.

Totally agree with the anti-Coachella feeling, and the bars in the Rose Garden Sat night were fucking packed with dbags.

#1 reason for doing VIP is the bathrooms- there's almost never a line for the bathroom even at night. Works better on the Rose Garden side, so you're not blowing 15-20 minutes of a good set waiting in line.

Hawkings
04-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Even though last year it was only extra drink and restroom areas, I thought this year there was a small area cordoned off in front of main stage (and possibly other stages too) that VIP could get into. I was up against it during James.

JustSteve
04-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Nope, had to have a guest pass or above to get in there.

Originalbob
04-18-2012, 03:52 AM
It keeps you farther away from the AIDZ NEEDLEZ! Thank god for VIP!!!

magmazing
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
VIP wristband gets you:
- in the VIP parking lot
- Entrance to through the VIP entrance by the main stage
- Access to the VIP beverage garden by the main stage and the Rose garden by the Sahara

Guest Wristband gets you
- all of the above
- access to the fenced off viewing areas by the stages up front and to the side
- access backstage at the artist lounge where all their trailers are
- ability to go from stage to stage via the back so you're don't have to weave through thousands of people in the main grounds.

I like to refer to VIP as "vaguely important people"

Hayleymoo
04-21-2012, 12:38 AM
they take credit cards

seitron
04-21-2012, 04:10 PM
A feel-good-about-yourself facebook status.

indietron
04-21-2012, 04:31 PM
VIP wristband gets you:
- in the VIP parking lot

I thought you needed to purchase a VIP parking pass in addition to the VIP wristband? Does just having the wristband get you into the VIP parking?

magmazing
04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
I thought you needed to purchase a VIP parking pass in addition to the VIP wristband? Does just having the wristband get you into the VIP parking?

Guess I should have been more specific. you're allowed to step foot into the lot. People at the fences of the lot were looking at wristbands on the drive in so I'm guessing anyone without VIP wristbands would have to get out of the car before VIPs could drive into the VIP lot.

indietron
04-21-2012, 04:42 PM
I understand that, but I was told you needed to purchase a VIP parking pass in addition to the VIP wristband. Is that true? Or is the wristband simply enough?

nathanfairchild
04-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Access to the VIP entrance was not routinely available for those VIP that took the shuttles since some security wouldn't let you walk from the shuttles to the VIP entrance.

Totally agree with the anti-Coachella feeling, and the bars in the Rose Garden Sat night were fucking packed with dbags.

#1 reason for doing VIP is the bathrooms- there's almost never a line for the bathroom even at night. Works better on the Rose Garden side, so you're not blowing 15-20 minutes of a good set waiting in line.

i don't think i had to wait even once the entire weekend to use the bathrooms.

romanticizer
04-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Nor did I.

TomAz
04-21-2012, 09:41 PM
I understand that, but I was told you needed to purchase a VIP parking pass in addition to the VIP wristband. Is that true? Or is the wristband simply enough?

no you need a separate $100 VIP parking pass. Pulling into the lot:

Friday - they scanned my wristband
Saturday - they scanned the windshield sticker
Sunday - they just looked to make sure I had a VIP wristband, no scanning.

Go figure.

indietron
04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you sir.

magmazing
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
no you need a separate $100 VIP parking pass. Pulling into the lot:

Friday - they scanned my wristband
Saturday - they scanned the windshield sticker
Sunday - they just looked to make sure I had a VIP wristband, no scanning.

Go figure.

Odd. My VIP parking experience was this:
Friday - they just looked at the windshield pass
Saturday - they scanned the windshield pass
Sunday - they looked at wristbands and scanned the windshield pass

joshc
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah. In my experience, entry to the VIP lot was a little more strict each day. By the sixth day they were checking wristbands and scanning the decal.

Overall, getting in and out (to get In 'N Out) faster, having an area for the occasional retreat, the possibility of spotting minor celebrities, and getting access to few extra food/bar options are pretty minor and non-essential perks that were still pretty nice to have at peak temperatures or at the end of the night. Whether its worth the extra money probably depends on how much pain it will cause your personal finances.

BROKENDOLL
04-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Considering the change in demographics of the Sahara Tent, I'd say our VIP passes got me a place to dance where the only little pricks I had to deal with were the ones attached to rose bushes.

eimie
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
I just randomly posted this in another thread:

I had the (mis)fortune of sneaking into the Special Guests section (left front row of main stage) following the Santigold back-up dancing opportunity this past Sunday, and while it was unreal to be able to enjoy ATDI's set from the front row without being touched once (whereas I had been fearing for my safety the previous Sunday), it felt completely lame to be surrounded by people who were basically friends of insiders, spent no $ to get in, and really didn't care all that much about being there either. Upon realizing that, my guilt about having snuck in transformed into "damn right I earned my way here after actually paying for both weekends". Life isn't fair sometimes.

And inside that area, btw, I noticed that there were 2 different colored wristbands: Purple (with the <3) (which meant basically VIP + special left front section), and Yellow (all that + backstage).

GlitterArt
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I've done VIP 2 years in a row now. The shaded areas, comfortable sitting area behind the bar, cleaner bathrooms, and better food options make it worth every penny...at least I think so.

GlitterArt
04-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes, the VIP parking is extra.

lt.roast.a.botch
04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
I've done VIP 2 years in a row now. The shaded areas, comfortable sitting area behind the bar, cleaner bathrooms, and better food options make it worth every penny...at least I think so.

Impostors. A very important person would be appalled about these fringe benefits.

JustSteve
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I just randomly posted this in another thread:

I had the (mis)fortune of sneaking into the Special Guests section (left front row of main stage) following the Santigold back-up dancing opportunity this past Sunday, and while it was unreal to be able to enjoy ATDI's set from the front row without being touched once (whereas I had been fearing for my safety the previous Sunday), it felt completely lame to be surrounded by people who were basically friends of insiders, spent no $ to get in, and really didn't care all that much about being there either. Upon realizing that, my guilt about having snuck in transformed into "damn right I earned my way here after actually paying for both weekends". Life isn't fair sometimes.

And inside that area, btw, I noticed that there were 2 different colored wristbands: Purple (with the <3) (which meant basically VIP + special left front section), and Yellow (all that + backstage).

the wristband with the heart also allowed backstage access, artist compound access, etc. way more access than "vip'. also, a majority of those passes are paid for by the people wearing them or someone they know who paid for them, there are hardly any comps anymore.

you didn't earn your way there any more than most of us in there. cool how you are able to judge so many just by looking at them, dumbass. i have been making my way out there for 9 years in a row, spend a lot of time, money, and effort to do so, and even risk what is left of my health to be there. tell me i don't care as much as anyone else on those polo fields.

TomAz
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I know someone who was given a <3 wristband and didn't go backstage or anything at all like that because she was chicken.

JustSteve
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
biggest benefit? golf cart rides to all the stages.

TomAz
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Tell your buddy I want one of those next year. lol

GaragePoet
04-27-2012, 05:34 PM
damn, those "guest" sections seemed pretty huge, i just assumed they were VIP, which i thought was kinda cool, but still don't know if it would persuade me to upgrade next year. were there ever very many "guests" occupying those spaces or were they mostly swaths of unoccupied prime real estate?

JustSteve
04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
definitely filled up at night, there was plenty of room during the day.

phosh
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
the wristband with the heart also allowed backstage access, artist compound access, etc. way more access than "vip'. also, a majority of those passes are paid for by the people wearing them or someone they know who paid for them, there are hardly any comps anymore.

you didn't earn your way there any more than most of us in there. cool how you are able to judge so many just by looking at them, dumbass. i have been making my way out there for 9 years in a row, spend a lot of time, money, and effort to do so, and even risk what is left of my health to be there. tell me i don't care as much as anyone else on those polo fields.

so do you pretty much have to have an insider hook to get one of the heart or plus access wristbands? I would be interested to see how much one would be.

frazzles
05-02-2012, 01:26 AM
I know someone who was given a <3 wristband and didn't go backstage or anything at all like that because she was chicken.

lulz

sonofhal
05-02-2012, 01:37 AM
so do you pretty much have to have an insider hook to get one of the heart or plus access wristbands? I would be interested to see how much one would be.

Don't you get them with the Safari tent package?

ThatGirl
05-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Don't you get them with the Safari tent package?

Yes you do. It's an Artist level pass.

gmfortner
05-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes you do. It's an Artist level pass.

They advertise Safari (S) as Artist level (A), but it's really not. It is actually equivalent to Artist Guest (Heart) pass. The only real difference is the Artists can actually get between the front rail and the photographers pit area. Other than that you have access to pretty much everything. In fact we actually got to walk the festival grounds on Thursday night while they were still setting up.

kbest3
04-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Question: there seem to be some restaurants only located in VIP areas, does that mean only VIP people can order from them? Is this a dumb question?

nathanfairchild
04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Yes

microcuts
04-08-2014, 11:11 PM
i don't think i had to wait even once the entire weekend to use the bathrooms.

Seriously. This x100. I'm always hearing about these awful lines to use bathrooms. Is it just the women's ones? I have never, ever had to wait more than approximately 40 seconds to use a bathroom at Coachella in the <10 years that I've been going. Usually it's instantaneous.

homersexual
04-09-2014, 05:33 AM
Seriously. This x100. I'm always hearing about these awful lines to use bathrooms. Is it just the women's ones? I have never, ever had to wait more than approximately 40 seconds to use a bathroom at Coachella in the <10 years that I've been going. Usually it's instantaneous.

The only place I've seen bathroom lines were near the Sahara tent and Mojave. Those are definitely the most nasty bathrooms imo. VIP restrooms are ALWAYS clean. GA restrooms are hit or miss depending on the location and time of day.

Ciindyshines
04-09-2014, 02:38 PM
I won VIP passes for this upcoming Coachella 2014, weekend 2. Will I be able to get into the cut-off area that's closer to the stage?

Eddie S.
04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
I won VIP passes for this upcoming Coachella 2014, weekend 2. Will I be able to get into the cut-off area that's closer to the stage?

No.