PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Crowd

rocks.off
04-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I've been watching the live webcasts and have been a bit disappointed by the audiences. It feels like a lot of great artists are having trouble provoking a reaction from the crowd. And it's not for lack of talent or great music, the crowds just watch stonily and then it's the sound of 70,000 people each with one hand clapping.

Does anyone else get this feeling? Or is it just tough to capture the atmosphere on camera?

halfeatensausage
04-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I agree. Watching the webcast, I've noticed this pretty much across the board. It seemed like people barely moved or even head-bobbed for bands like Refused, Jetpacks, Radiohead, Shins, which were all great sets.

narek23
04-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I saw people moshing and jumping around for Refused the whole time, can't comment on the others

Dogvolta
04-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Is it just me or is there something awkward about judging a crowd by watching a webcast from a computer...?

clleadz
04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
omg so awkward

rocks.off
04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't think it's awkward. I'd just like to know what kind of vibe it'll be when I attend the second weekend. Having never been to Coachella before, I'm just hoping it'll be crazy like a European festival with a lot of fan participation/appreciation.

cheesehead004
04-15-2012, 03:25 PM
buzzcocks/refused are the only acts that i thought had good crowds

djbionik
04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Make it happen. Feeling it out loud is contagious. C'mon, we've all seen the dancing guy at sasquatch.

grannock
04-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Coachella has a very subdued crowd. If you want to get rowdy i suggest going elsewhere.

rocks.off
04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Oh, I will enjoy myself loudly and enthusiastically, and my friend is a the British equivalent to the Sasquatch guy. So, I'm gonna enjoy myself either way.

I just hope everybody is in the same spirit for weekend 2.

djbionik
04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Coachella has a very subdued crowd. If you want to get rowdy i suggest going elsewhere.

Wow, I bet you're just a riot with your friends.

I don't suggest going elsewhere. I suggest avoiding very sad Eyores.

loubque
04-15-2012, 05:56 PM
I feel like the first weekend crowd will have people who want to be sen whereas the second weekend will be people just having fun.

LiquidL
04-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Make it happen. Feeling it out loud is contagious. C'mon, we've all seen the dancing guy at sasquatch.

That dude was an ace!

Apex17
04-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Thats what happens when you get a bunch of hipsters together.

WhyTheLongFace
04-15-2012, 07:42 PM
A$AP had an enthusiastic crowd to say the least

SepaGroove
04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
The crowds that I watched on the webcast for Saturday and today were much better than Friday. It had to have been the rainy weather.

adammm
04-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Oh, I will enjoy myself loudly and enthusiastically, and my friend is a the British equivalent to the Sasquatch guy. So, I'm gonna enjoy myself either way.

I just hope everybody is in the same spirit for weekend 2.

I will join you

zach1
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZeNu9JlKE
9:14 sums it up pretty well.

bobsters
04-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Thats what happens when you get a bunch of hipsters together.

unfortunately :l

citizenerased
04-15-2012, 11:20 PM
sounds like Black Lips had a good crowd.

flicchic8100
04-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Hipsters are too busy trying to be cool, but the true is, no one cares :blah
unfortunately :l

That70sdesperado
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Refused had a REALLY intense, hard-moshing crowd. Maybe it didn't appear so on the webcast, but that shit was VERY wild.

grichsgang
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
sounds like Black Lips had a good crowd.
To say the least.

Also had good crowds at GIVERS, Grouplove, Madness, Hives, fIREHOSE, First Aid Kit.

Crowds were smaller for a lot of acts. Squeeze barely filled half the tent, I bellied up to the stage for Madness and no one was there to see LA club legends, fIREHOSE. Could that many have been at Sahara?

frizzlefry
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I wondered how big the crowd for Madness was, that's a shame. Many of the bigger names that I was looking for ended up having relatively tiny crowds and nearly all of these shows had the best audience I've ever seen. I don't know if Beirut, Madness, The Black Angels, Modeselektor, and Explosions in the Sky were part of the broadcast but all of these would have been great examples of either a highly energetic or completely grateful crowd. Acts like Radiohead are going to obviously have those fans that are just waiting for Creep and just text or chat with other dipshits because they don't have anything better to do or forgot about Guetta.

Bus McRider
04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
St. Vincent and Beats Antique had great crowds

citizenerased
04-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't know if Beirut, Madness, The Black Angels, Modeselektor, and Explosions in the Sky were part of the broadcast but all of these would have been great examples of either a highly energetic or completely grateful crowd. .
yeah these were all streamed but holy shit... l would've been going insane these guys were so good.

anonimouse
04-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't think it's awkward. I'd just like to know what kind of vibe it'll be when I attend the second weekend. Having never been to Coachella before, I'm just hoping it'll be crazy like a European festival with a lot of fan participation/appreciation.

its going to be over 100 degrees next weekend. lets see how excited you are when you are trying to keep ahead of heat stroke :)

aphrael
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM
its going to be over 100 degrees next weekend. lets see how excited you are when you are trying to keep ahead of heat stroke :)

Last year, on Saturday, I moshed for trampled by turtles and gogol bordello.

i couldn't dance at laidback luke; i was wiped out and ended up having to curl up on the grass next to the sahara and wait for my body to eb responsive again.

aphrael
04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
The crowds that I watched on the webcast for Saturday and today were much better than Friday. It had to have been the rainy weather.

anything outside, it was hard to get down for on friday, because it was COLD. on the other hand, the crowds were light across the board (eg, lots of people just stayed home), so it was easy to get into the middle of crowds in the tents and dance up a storm.

Tongue_Punch
04-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Lots of douchy bags this year.

theGold
04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
You can't judge a crowd by a webcast... You just cant! The Coachella crowd has always been pretty cool imo. I think west coasters get a bad rap for being alof and unenthusiastic, but people are just more relaxed. Everybody was in their own little zone, weirding out, and embracing each other. A lot of really sweet, accepting people.

Trick Loves The Kids
04-16-2012, 05:28 PM
So many fucking party bros this year.

kneuller
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I watched from home this weekend and I thought the crowds looked fine. Refused, The Weeknd, A$AP, M83, and the Growlers all seemed like they had active crowds. People were losing their minds for The Weeknd.

I know I would have gone apeshit for ATDI.

aphrael
04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
The AWOLNATION crowd was surprisingly energetic, although for some reason a pit never formed.

aphrael
04-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I watched from home this weekend and I thought the crowds looked fine. Refused, The Weeknd, A$AP, M83, and the Growlers all seemed like they had active crowds. People were losing their minds for The Weeknd.

I know I would have gone apeshit for ATDI.

M83 was packed. Easily the densest crowd I was in all weekend.

CitizenJ
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Good crowds: M83, St. Vincent, Childish Gambino, Fitz and the Tantrums, Tune-yards, Radiohead, wallpaper.

Weak crowds: Gotye (people wanted 1 song, then 1/3 of the crowd left), Beirut (A bunch of zombies, lots of teenagers which surprised me), the shins, ATDI (read: Dr. Dre fans)

The madness crowd was good, but seemed very skewed to the older crowd at coachella. There were a lot of people in the 30s to 50s range around me, only show like that.

CitizenJ
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
So many fucking party bros this year.

Brochella was in full effect this year. I Always forget how few music lovers there are in comparison to frat bros looking to party. Had a group of them camping near by talking about body shots, beer bongs, and just playing awful Sahara tent music all weekend long. It did crack me up once when I heard the bros talking about how much they wanted to see Gotye.

RodFed1993
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Certain artists like the Shins, Beirut, Andrew Bird, etc can't really be expected to have super enthusiastic crowds. I just stood and enjoyed the great music. However, I, too was quite disappointed in the frat bro to music enthusiast ratio this year. Some of the crowds at the Sahara were just awful.

someone
04-16-2012, 06:34 PM
People around us would not fucking shut up during Radiohead. One girl was screaming right next to me, just babbling nonsense. "THEY'RE LIKE THE BEATLES!" And the guy behind me talking about the jalapenos he ate while trying to pick up some boring Kiwi chick. Awful Radiohead crowd.

Rynoo
04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
No joke. Some middle aged man during sweedish house Mafia told our group all glowing big time to take our rave elsewhere. Tried starting a fight until he saw there were 30 of us. So many douchebags during weekend one. And it felt like everyone showed up Sunday. It was so packed. Noticed a lot of heart rfid and marijuana looking rfid might have been the lake pass or whatever. But Sunday was full of non VIP or GA rfid tags

Stickjohn
04-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I see you met baily. He's harmless.

iamellyn
04-16-2012, 07:59 PM
There were so many more bros than hipsters this year. Just a sea of bros and frat boys. When they divided up the entrance into women and men lines, I realized what a huge sausage-fest this year was. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 3-to-1 men-to-women ratio.

My absolute favourite part was seeing these proud muscle men freeze their asses off at night in their sleeveless tank tops. Oh what a wonderful sight.

alyssaf12
04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
clap your hands Coachella, don't be a dick about it.

VigoTheCarpathian
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Everyone at Jeff Mangum was very moved and vocal.

The people, they want the good indie rock

Hawkings
04-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Noel G's crowd was subdued for sure, terrible, crowd for Madness was mellow, more people should have been skanking, but the crowd for Grouplove was all dancing so it depends i guess. I think alot of people that go don't know alot about most of the bands and are just showing up because they're 20 and heard Coachella is cool or something. Friday did seem like a light crowd, while Sunday was too crowded with definate solid douchy/bro representation.

Hawkings
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Brochella was in full effect this year. I Always forget how few music lovers there are in comparison to frat bros looking to party. Had a group of them camping near by talking about body shots, beer bongs, and just playing awful Sahara tent music all weekend long. It did crack me up once when I heard the bros talking about how much they wanted to see Gotye.

it seemed broey, i can't tell if was worse or is always like that and i forget

Hawkings
04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
And it felt like everyone showed up Sunday. It was so packed. Noticed a lot of heart rfid and marijuana looking rfid might have been the lake pass or whatever. But Sunday was full of non VIP or GA rfid tags did people just figure out how to sneak in Sunday and all show up or something ?!

iGz89
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't mind either of them as long as they're not douchebags. There are bros that are cool but also bros that are total douchebags that can only enjoy shows if they're fucked up. There are hipsters that are cool but also hipsters that are douchebags that can't show the slightest bit of enthusiasm for artists they apparently like.

There should be a crowd movement requirement with a minimum of swaying or head nodding.

"People don't dance no more. They just stand there like this. They cross their arms and stare you down and drink and moan and piss."

Mugwog
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
M83 crowd (near back of tent) was a lot of shoving jerks, one guy who kept bumping into people and being a loud ass, and just a lot of talkers. Did not help that M83 had such a low energy set and were late also.

Way too many kids (under 14-17 year olds) running around......

SepaGroove
04-16-2012, 09:03 PM
M83 crowd (near back of tent) was a lot of shoving jerks, one guy who kept bumping into people and being a loud ass, and just a lot of talkers. Did not help that M83 had such a low energy set and were late also.

Way too many kids (under 14-17 year olds) running around......

Shit. Not looking forward to that this weekend. And if people are saying there were a lot of bros I could only imagine what it'll be like this weekend with 4/20 on Friday.

Shit.

I'll just have to drink that much more so it doesn't bother me.

CoachellaVet09
04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Shit. Not looking forward to that this weekend. And if people are saying there were a lot of bros I could only imagine what it'll be like this weekend with 4/20 on Friday.

Shit.

I'll just have to drink that much more so it doesn't bother me.

Careful. Drink enough, and you might become a bro yourself :puke

SepaGroove
04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Careful. Drink enough, and you might become a bro yourself :puke

Considering your advice and because of it I'll be avoiding all Coors and Bud Light. I think I'll be ok as long as I stick to my strategy.

BeaverCat
04-17-2012, 11:29 AM
People were trashy. Literally. Trash everywhere inside the venue and in the campgrounds. I don't remember prior years being this bad. Pick up after yourselves you inconsiderate degenerates.

Branham32
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I was at Weekend 1. The weather was absolutley amazing. Its going to be 105 degrees Sat and Sun. Stay hydrated!

someone
04-17-2012, 01:03 PM
People were trashy. Literally. Trash everywhere inside the venue and in the campgrounds. I don't remember prior years being this bad. Pick up after yourselves you inconsiderate degenerates.

2006 before the bottle recycling program was a million times worse with the trash.

Rolwolf
04-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I've been going since '06, and this was the first time I've ever been annoyed by the amount of too-cool-to-actually-enjoy-themselves hipsters. Seriously folks, it's ok to jump around, cheer for bands, or at least uncross your arms from time to time.

wompwomp
04-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I thought the crowds were mostly great! The Dre and Snoop crowd was rowdy as hell.

euphonicfiend
04-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't mind either of them as long as they're not douchebags. There are bros that are cool but also bros that are total douchebags that can only enjoy shows if they're fucked up. There are hipsters that are cool but also hipsters that are douchebags that can't show the slightest bit of enthusiasm for artists they apparently like.

There should be a crowd movement requirement with a minimum of swaying or head nodding.

"People don't dance no more. They just stand there like this. They cross their arms and stare you down and drink and moan and piss."

So excited to hear that live again! ^^

amyzzz
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
People went nuts during Arctic Monkeys. My kids almost got bumped by a mosh pit and my friend had a full blown panic attack and passes out near the Gobi after hurrying away from their set. :thu

theGold
04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Random question about bros since I don't know any personally- do they realize/embrace their bro-ness or do they deny it as hipsters do?

theGold
04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I've been going since '06, and this was the first time I've ever been annoyed by the amount of too-cool-to-actually-enjoy-themselves hipsters. Seriously folks, it's ok to jump around, cheer for bands, or at least uncross your arms from time to time.

But maybe people just want to watch? Sometimes I am too enthralled with a band or too busy observing their their stage presence to get crazy. Beats Antique comes to mind. I love them but had never seen them live, but i was just standing there staring. I was so into just watching and taking everything in. I literally didnt want to move or take my eyes off the stage.

The crowd at coachella never bothers me, it's the people too busy judging the crowd that are annoying.

Rolwolf
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Nope. When my group was collectively losing our shit to Pulp while a bunch of kids a decade younger than us crossed their arms, rolled their eyes, and literally scoffed when I made eye contact, we're not talking about serious music fans who are too enthralled to go crazy.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of people I met this year were just as fun and interesting as in years past, but this was also the first year I ever personally had some snooty kids give us the judgmental eye-roll for enjoying the hell out of a great set.

deanlnds
04-17-2012, 07:56 PM
i think the colder weather messed the crowds up on Friday and Saturday..it warmed up on Sunday and people starting going crazy...should be good this weekend...

theGold
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Nope. When my group was collectively losing our shit to Pulp while a bunch of kids a decade younger than us crossed their arms, rolled their eyes, and literally scoffed when I made eye contact, we're not talking about serious music fans who are too enthralled to go crazy.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of people I met this year were just as fun and interesting as in years past, but this was also the first year I ever personally had some snooty kids give us the judgmental eye-roll for enjoying the hell out of a great set.

Okay, yea. The judgemental eye rolling is what I was referring to as annoying and that pisses me off more than anything - luckily, i rarely see it. Just wanted to point out that not all of us stoic, crossed-arms audience members are "cooler than thou". My response when I am truly enjoyong music is to stand there like a slack-jawed idiot :)

ajax4747
04-17-2012, 10:02 PM
A lot of Douche...but thats expected. 75K of people only there for music will present copious amounts of douchbaggery! I personally didn't give a fuck and partied my ass off...no sense in worrying about clowns!

LiquidL
04-17-2012, 10:12 PM
The crowds have a minor effect on my enjoyment.

Lovin the forecast!
I am looking forward to a hotchella this weekend!