PDA

View Full Version : why do YOU hate tiesto?

rkawar
03-28-2007, 12:47 AM
i think he's good and i like his stuff. I have like 20 of his albums and I think they are really jammin. But it seems like his popularity level is ridiculously low?

but why?

boarderwoozel3
03-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Wear a nice shirt during his set. That'll get him some respect.

Or not. Whatever works...

xbnmx
03-28-2007, 01:09 AM
His popularity level is huge, he's the biggest DJ in the world. It's just populare to hate him amongst elitist and scensters as it is with anyone on top.

rivetbutt
03-28-2007, 02:27 AM
he's an easy target to hate. personally i like PvD better in the battle of the POP TRANCE LORDZ, but with success come resentment. i'd rather hate on some shitty underground band personally :)

Alchemy
03-28-2007, 05:02 AM
I think Tiesto is alright. I'm not too big a fan of trance, but he's alright. I would definatly not mind seeing his set, especially coming from the main stage. That should be interesting.

shotglass75
03-28-2007, 05:04 AM
I saw a dvd of Tiesto (never seen him live) and he just seemed like an arrogant prick on stage. His music really wasn't THAT good and he had a bad haircut. Though, I am looking forard to his set. I think being in the mix (pun intended) with 50,000 other people could be a good time.

unknown
03-28-2007, 05:39 AM
geeez! you got the impression that he's an arrogant prick? I always got the impression that he's having a blast. I've seen interviews with him and it seems to me that he is just a normal guy loving what he's doing and happy he has this opportunity. I like Tiesto. I find his CD's to be fun to jam to. The songs he's produced are just EH to me but his live sets are fun to listen to. I want to catch his set, but not sure if my brother will be down to catch it. And the energy will be a good time - except if there is an abudance of pacifiers, glow sticks, or people sitting on the floor massaging each other. They don't still do that, do they?

scoop49er
03-28-2007, 05:52 AM
i saw one of his dvd's as well. hes not bad. its hard for me to listen through a whole set of his stuff but he's got some good stuff and i know my girl will want to dance so we will check out a part of his set.

shotglass75
03-28-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm sure he will be fun at night on the main stage and there will probably a bunch of people in the same state of mind that I will be in so that's a plus. From the DVD I saw it just seemed like he thought he was king of shit mountain. I dunno? Anyways, I'm not counting him out.

psychic friend
03-28-2007, 07:36 AM
el_LVfoDC-I

orbit
03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Tiesto is the gateway to electronic music for most people, i used to like some of the Magik series, but after them his productions fell down IMO.
I know some people who dont like him because they/we are not into that music, epic/melodic/whatever trance, and not because he is on top or he is the most popular dj. Ive seen him once and it wasnt a party, it was a very entertaining concert with good organization, good show production, but I didnt like the music. I'm not a big fan but from what Ive heard of his music it hasnt changed much since years ago.

I dont hate him, I just dont like when people call him 'The BEST DJ' as a fact. Besides that I have the impression he began to get that status thanks to another people productions. Ive seen a couple of tracklists where say 'Tiesto - xxxxx' as he would have make that song, but it was not his! I dont know if he knew about that beforehand, but at least he should be honest recognizing another people productions. Actually, how many people think that 'Adagio for Strings' is a Tiesto's production?

I dont think he's arrogant either, at least Ive never seen that. Ive seen Oakenfold being an arrogant prick

Senor Cardgage
03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Dance music for sorority girls.
Boring tracks from a dead-ass genre.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-28-2007, 08:04 AM
1) he plays trance
2) the jesus pose

shoegazer76
03-28-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't understand why he needs such an elaborate studio to make the music he does. I could make that shit with a computer & fruity loops.

brycerosen
03-28-2007, 08:12 AM
hes good, way better than pvd but when a good artist gets very popular elitist pricks will hate on them, just like all those fucks are talkin shit about the chili peppers

HEADSTRUCK
03-28-2007, 08:16 AM
he plays trance....yep its that simple

shotglass75
03-28-2007, 08:17 AM
It's that Jesus pose that made me think he was an arrogant prick. And yeah, trance is kinda um...well... lame

Sci-Fi
03-28-2007, 08:29 AM
yep its trance.

orbit
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
2) the jesus pose

Which one?

This

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/generationtrance/jesus.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/generationtrance/tiesto.jpg

Or this

http://www.vectorwave.net/hawky/birth.jpg

OreoRabbit
03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
el_LVfoDC-I

HAHAHAHAHA

Was that what he was really saying?

Daft Fro
03-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Tiesto is okay. Emphasis on the "o" and the "kay". Decent. Average really. His sets are alright live, but there are other similar trance headliners who wipe the floor with him (Ferry Corsten anyone? =D)

But electronica wise, this year's lineup isn't too bad.

Faithless - (O.G. muthafuckas)
Felix da Housecat - (I've seen him probably 5 times now, he has thrown it down 4 out of those 5)
Evil Nine - (Great studio tracks, haven't seen them live, but I hear good things)
Paul van Dyk - (Solid, consistance, fun! ...think Tiesto, but somone who is worth his current recognition...)
DJ Heather - (One of Chi-town's hardest working Funky House DJs, househeads shall flock)
Infected Mushroom - (Get ready for some banging Israeli hard NRG yo~)

and of course, the highly anticpatied:
Digitalism
Justice
MSTRKRFT

...enough has been said about them, just go see them :P

as for the rest on the lineup, I can't speak for. Except Benny Benassi, I will not defend him, go nuts lol.

I'm probably not going to be spending too much time in the Sahara tent this year, just because I have seen 75% of the acts that will probably be in there.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Which one?

This

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/generationtrance/jesus.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/generationtrance/tiesto.jpg

Or this

http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/assets/aa_image/320/b/f/b/7/bfb7e47c6967e7b609a81cf61cf782747d7367db.jpghttp://www.rtl.nl/programma/yorinentertainment/components/cd/images/tiesto-concert282x186.jpg

http://www.truthnet.org/crucified%20christ.jpghttp://www.buzzlife.com/forums/image.php?u=2414&dateline=1153938894

amyzzz
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
hes good, way better than pvd but when a good artist gets very popular elitist pricks will hate on them, just like all those fucks are talkin shit about the chili peppersAnd all those pricks talking shit about Bjork. :thu

Trick Loves The Kids
03-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Which one?

This

Or this

the one where he walks out from behind the turntables to stand in front of the crowd and then puts his arms out like jesus or a bird

woogie846
03-28-2007, 11:04 AM
HAHAHAHAHA

Yes.

ragingdave
03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
but why?

One word...

Eurotrash.

summerkid
03-28-2007, 11:12 AM
hes good, way better than pvd but when a good artist gets very popular elitist pricks will hate on them, just like all those fucks are talkin shit about the chili peppers

a. I just don't like trance, that's why I don't like Tiesto. I don't like any trance artists.

b. Arcade Fire's album was number 2 on the charts that's pretty big, yet everyone loves them on here.

c. The Chili's lost their edge that's why people hate on them.

Senor Cardgage
03-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Trance is dance music for people that cant dance.
It also died several years ago.
If youre a big trance fan these days, theres a very good chance you drive a hot pink Honda Civic with 9 spoilers and are impressed when dickbags twirl glowsticks on strings. You also cant believe its not 1999 anymore.

I will say unequivocally that trance KILLED dance music. In SF, all the clubs jumped on that bandwagon. The result: real club culture was drowned and receded to the urban strongholds and most clubs went to playing bullshit mashups instead (ALSO dance music for people that cant dance)

Fuck trance and fuck Tiesto's Fisher Price EDM wanking.

ragingdave
03-28-2007, 11:34 AM
...and his Eurotrashness.

:dumbo :dumbo :dumbo

fober
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I hate him for his sexy.

thelastmejia
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
man this thread is weak, bunch of haters. hes not a bad dj hes not everyones cup of tea, but by no means is he trying to be jesus.

darthlaker
03-28-2007, 12:39 PM
OVERRATED!:blah

full.on.idle
03-28-2007, 12:50 PM
When Janelle got HOH on Big Brother 6, the cd she got in her goodie basket was Tiesto.

fober
03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
When Janelle got HOH on Big Brother 6, the cd she got in her goodie basket was Tiesto.

I don't know what this means, but I have a strange feeling if someone explains it to me, I'll actually be less of a human being for knowing.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
my theory based on observation is that there are 3 basic types of tiesto fans (in this country)

1) asians who only ever go to asian parties or hang out exclusively with other asians and follow the one guy in their clique who like's tiesto because they haven't been exposed to other electronic music.

2) white guys who are trying to fuck those asians

3) the rest

either way, you can bet tiesto's dance floor will be filled with huge pointy unbuttoned collars or sweat-soaked t-shirts accessorized with glowsticks and water bottles.

I call this the Oakenfold theory.

seriously though, the reason I don't like tiesto's music is basically the same reason Peter Griffin didn't like "The Godfather". It insists upon itself, Lois.

His brand of trance is self-indulgent. It is basically a bunch of long drawn out buildups. It seems as though the music itself is meant to hold your attention at all times and keep you focused on the DJ. Anyone who doesn't at least understand (even if you don't agree) how that could be an annoying property has probably hasn't seen much music other than epic trance shows.
I like house and breaks because the music is there to create excitement and get people moving, but not for its own sake. The DJ's not supposed to make his presence felt at all times.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
I've listened to one of Tiesto's CDs once, and that's the full extent of my Tiesto exposure, but I thought it was decent enough. I'm not really much of a dance expert; I'm only starting to figure out what trance is, and no one ever sent me the memo that trance is dead.

Someone enlighten me. Why does everyone hate trance? My sister doesn't like it because she says its too monotonous. I can definitely understand that. Is that pretty much the same for everyone?

Thehebrewhammer
03-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Tiesto bores me to tears.

unknown
03-28-2007, 02:28 PM

I don't know what this means, but I have a strange feeling if someone explains it to me, I'll actually be less of a human being for knowing.

I concur.

I have no clue what this means but I think it has something to do with television and I don't watch that shit.

phoenixsky
03-28-2007, 02:48 PM
seriously though, the reason I don't like tiesto's music is basically the same reason Peter Griffin didn't like "The Godfather". It insists upon itself, Lois.

His brand of trance is self-indulgent. It is basically a bunch of long drawn out buildups. It seems as though the music itself is meant to hold your attention at all times and keep you focused on the DJ. Anyone who doesn't at least understand (even if you don't agree) how that could be an annoying property has probably hasn't seen much music other than epic trance shows.
I like house and breaks because the music is there to create excitement and get people moving, but not for its own sake. The DJ's not supposed to make his presence felt at all times.

Word. So beautifully stated.

"YOU DON'T LIKE THE GODFATHER!?"

rivetbutt
03-28-2007, 03:10 PM
that was cool except admitting you like breaks... now that's the trash of electronica!

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
that was cool except admitting you like breaks... now that's the trash of electronica!

I completely understand how one could dislike breaks. There is crap in every genre and if you've not been exposed to more than the biggest names then really you'd never know what's good. "breaks" as a genre doesn't even really make sense anymore. There's a huge difference between tearout, progressive, midtempo, techfunk, etc. Watching a bad Crystal Method or Evil 9 show doesn't qualify someone to legitimately disparage breaks.

i'm not saying your particular opinion is misinformed, I'm actually hoping yours is. Can you elaborate on why you don't like it?

fober
03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Any genre that could possibly be graced by Hybrid is far from being trash.

full.on.idle
03-28-2007, 04:03 PM
I concur.

I have no clue what this means but I think it has something to do with television and I don't watch that shit.

u guys r cool lol

joebizz
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Daft Fro;118917]

DJ Heather - (One of Chi-town's hardest working Funky House DJs, househeads shall flock)

Yes we shall! Heather is, in my opinion the best D.J. there this year.

rkawar
03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
So it seems like people dont hate tiesto, they just dislike trance in general. That's cool then cuz taste in music differs, but i mean like if one person can find paul van dyke to be incredible and tiesto to be utter crap, that wouldnt make sense to me. i think tiesto is fabulous for his genre, and owns well deserved praise

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
no, my dislike for tiesto has nothing to do with trance, and is in fact quite personal.

He fucked my grandma and didn't call her back.

psychic friend
03-28-2007, 08:01 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

are you serious?

rage patton
03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
are you serious?

Haha. I hope not.
Thanks for posting that video. The second I saw this thread I was gonna look for that video again.
But as always, your one step ahead.
I dont really hate Tiesto actually. I would just rather watch MSTRKRFT/LCD/possible addition? headline the Saharah than watch Tiesto.
Everyone else I am going with (besides my girlfriend) say there are NOT missing Tiesto. To each their own.

Boourns
03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
my theory based on observation is that there are 3 basic types of tiesto fans (in this country)

1) asians who only ever go to asian parties or hang out exclusively with other asians and follow the one guy in their clique who like's tiesto because they haven't been exposed to other electronic music.

2) white guys who are trying to fuck those asians

3) the rest

either way, you can bet tiesto's dance floor will be filled with huge pointy unbuttoned collars or sweat-soaked t-shirts accessorized with glowsticks and water bottles.

So you're saying Asian girls like Tiesto? Okay, now I'll actually see him.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 08:21 PM
fuck yeah, I'll be there too!

infect ME
03-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't understand why he needs such an elaborate studio to make the music he does. I could make that shit with a computer & fruity loops.

Hmmm... That's pretty interesting. So is it just your oh so humble attitude that is stopping you from being a successful, world-renowned, wealthy DJ? Or do people just "not get you?" I'm not being a smart ass here, I'm just curious as to why you don't DJ for a living and are a millionare yet with a simple investment into a computer and fruity loops?

orbit
03-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Hmm, could you please explain why you think breaks is the trash of electronica? What have you listened that made you dont like it? DJ Icey? Baby Anne?

Look for this: Rogue Element, Madox, Stanton Warriors, Autobots, Santos, Lee Coombs old stuff. Listen. Think. Listen the no-straight 4/4. Syncopated beats.

What a beautiful sound!

braxtron
03-28-2007, 11:11 PM
First off: Hot asian girls are WAY HOT.

With that over with: Tiesto is what got me into electronic music, my gateway electronic, if you will. I loved his sound because of the way it captivates you and demands your attention...the same reason many of you hate him. I love that he keeps you hanging, wanting, lusting for a heavy bass and then that amazing feeling when he brings it back...Since finding him I have listened to countless DJs (often ones people post on these boards when saying why Tiesto sucks) and have found many DJs who I now respect and can't wait to see (such as MSTRKRFT). I've yet to go to an electronic show/club so I'm psyched to see Tiesto after only hearing him for so long. Maybe some day my taste will "evolve" and I will stop liking Tiesto, but until then I will continue to think he rocks, enjoy his music, and discover new DJs to rock out to.

Peace

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 11:36 PM
come on, dude, you can't grind your sub-chub into some skank's rear jean pocket to trance. What then is the point?

full on idle
03-28-2007, 11:44 PM
what's a sub chub? is that a side effect of dancing drugs?

with this, I am old school.

sigh.

And in response to the sub chub below me, yes, that's what I'm saying.

jjbaldwi
03-28-2007, 11:44 PM
cuz nobody gives a shit about techno unless they are on E! HA

Somewhat Damaged
03-28-2007, 11:47 PM
I still admire Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise: Panama mix CD, but his more recent mixes have been a bit of diminishing returns, to the point that I'm probably not going to get another CD of his. I remember meeting this really beautiful girl in Sahara at the end of the night in 2002 who said how awesome Tiesto's set was and I wished he hadn't conflicted with the Prodigy, so I'm glad he's finally back. Still, if I were to miss his set, I wouldn't be too terribly depressed -- a PvD set the following night would probably provide for a similar experience, albeit in the Sahara as opposed to at the main stage.

xbnmx
03-29-2007, 12:16 AM
come on, dude, you can't grind your sub-chub into some skank's rear jean pocket to trance. What then is the point?

Ding ding ding!

frijolesdelaolla
03-29-2007, 01:09 AM
I haven't listened to Tiesto but people who enjoy his music are (at least in my city) a gang of douche bags, therefore i don't have the least interest in listing to his set. But what do i know, i love grind core.

matsuolost
03-29-2007, 01:11 AM
I haven't listened to Tiesto but people who enjoy his music are (at least in my city) a gang of douche bags, therefore i don't have the least interest in listing to his set. But what do i know, i love grind core.

wtf your screename hahhhahahaha

instinct
03-29-2007, 03:31 AM
breaks is the trash of electronica..??

wow.. i don't even feel I have to respond to that..

Anyways.. I like Tiesto.. I like his produced albums and his mixed albums.. I just don't know if he should qualify as the "number one deejay in the world".. His skills are decent.. but I hear he gets a lot of help from sound engineers on his produced shit, and it sounds like total crap before they remix and master it.

betao
03-29-2007, 07:34 PM

I burst out laughing when I read that.

Ashiee
04-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Pretty sad that people that claim to enjoy music so much can't appreciate different types of music. If you don't like him fine, whatever, that's your gig. But at least respect him, because there's a lot of people that do like his music and don't appreciate the bashing you're giving him. I'm sure you wouldn't like people to talk shit on your favorite band or performer....why hate? I happen to have seen Tiesto quite a few times and I'm a very big fan of his. I'm not a candy raver, I don't do drugs I just think he's really talented. Just like I appreciate Interpol, Arcade Fire, Bjork and so on. Quite talking trash and enjoy that fact that you get to experience all different types of music under one venue...isn't that what Coachella is about??

BlueDevil50
04-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Pretty sad that people that claim to enjoy music so much can't appreciate different types of music. If you don't like him fine, whatever, that's your gig. But at least respect him, because there's a lot of people that do like his music and don't appreciate the bashing you're giving him. I'm sure you wouldn't like people to talk shit on your favorite band or performer....why hate? I happen to have seen Tiesto quite a few times and I'm a very big fan of his. I'm not a candy raver, I don't do drugs I just think he's really talented. Just like I appreciate Interpol, Arcade Fire, Bjork and so on. Quite talking trash and enjoy that fact that you get to experience all different types of music under one venue...isn't that what Coachella is about??

very well put...thats the exact same thoughts i had entering this board, especially since you pretty much HAVE to be open to hearing new music to go to coachella, cuz honestly a few years ago i wouldnt be able to know 70% of the bands that play at coachella. but having that open sense of music, ive grown to give acts a chance. i love tiesto. hes at the festival for a reason. i mean trash is trash(mainstream rap these days and horrid pop) but this isnt, we dont need to make threads talking shit. ive said it once and ill say it before, im sure someone that hates on something you like, probably likes some awful music too, but is too afraid to say so, or just thinks their music is waaaay trendier. haha its all love, learn it

yugen101
04-25-2007, 05:16 AM
cuz nobody gives a shit about techno unless they are on E! HA

Tiesto is not techno.

mindcq
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Im totally a electronic music snob. Ill admit it. But if it wasnt for tiesto and PVD and Armin Van Buren, our scene wouldnt be as big as it is. I grew up to chemical bros., crystal method, orbital, paul okenfold, tiesto, pvd(oldskool), bt (when he was trance), junkie Xl (staturday teenage kick), and the prodigy. If it wasnt for artist like this i would have never opened my mind up to more advanced dancemusic.

Tiesto is for the fresh men. Mstrkrft and Justice is for the alumni. You gotta crawl befroe you walk so tiesto listeners....pay close attention. shit is going to get real.

Tiesto is the gateway to electronic music for most people, i used to like some of the Magik series, but after them his productions fell down IMO.
I know some people who dont like him because they/we are not into that music, epic/melodic/whatever trance, and not because he is on top or he is the most popular dj. Ive seen him once and it wasnt a party, it was a very entertaining concert with good organization, good show production, but I didnt like the music. I'm not a big fan but from what Ive heard of his music it hasnt changed much since years ago.

I dont hate him, I just dont like when people call him 'The BEST DJ' as a fact. Besides that I have the impression he began to get that status thanks to another people productions. Ive seen a couple of tracklists where say 'Tiesto - xxxxx' as he would have make that song, but it was not his! I dont know if he knew about that beforehand, but at least he should be honest recognizing another people productions. Actually, how many people think that 'Adagio for Strings' is a Tiesto's production?

I dont think he's arrogant either, at least Ive never seen that. Ive seen Oakenfold being an arrogant prick

Bud Luster
04-25-2007, 03:30 PM
cuz Tiesto LOVES little boys.