PDA

View Full Version : PLACEBO!?

fro-ed
03-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Right ive noticed on here that nobody ever mentions Placebo, i dont know whether its just they are not popular over in america or what? but i just feel they need the recognition for being one of the best bands around now, whats peoples opinion on them im interested to find out.

Risingson
03-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I saw they were playing and knew they sang "Pure Morning".. But didn't know any other songs, so I purchased their singles 96-04 album. Very nice! Can't wait to see them. Would have been nice to hear these songs earlier, but for some reason not played on the radio here.

fro-ed
03-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeh its shame they dont get played on the radio, i saw them last november and its the best show ive ever seen, newest album MEDS rocks as well man

suprefan
03-25-2007, 10:13 AM
I really like them and hope I can catch them but odds are it wont happen.

el chango
03-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I saw them last Sunday and they sucked. I've seen them live 5 times and every time they get worse...

Risingson
03-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh yea? Great I needed an excuse to get another cd. Let you know what I think later..

rage patton
03-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I really like everything they did pre-MEDS. I am very disapointed in that album. It doesnt have the same feel and emotion the old Placebo had. Nonetheless, I am so excited they are on the poster. That being said...

I really like them and hope I can catch them but odds are it wont happen.

I feel I am in the same boat here. I have a feeling they will be playing during Manu Chao and Rage on the outdoor stage.

Risingson
03-25-2007, 10:19 AM
I saw them last Sunday and they sucked. I've seen them live 5 times and every time they get worse...

What kind of venues? Seems like their sound would be great out doors. And why see something so many times you don't like? Were they opening up for someone else everytime??

ashtraygrl
03-25-2007, 10:27 AM
i've mentioned them on here, many times. they're one of the top reasons i'm going this year. i've been a fan for a long time. :)

i really hope they don't play opposite rage, because then i will miss rage. :(

Quentin
03-25-2007, 10:28 AM
They're actually one of the bands I'm most looking forward to see :D

el chango
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
What kind of venues? Seems like their sound would be great out doors. And why see something so many times you don't like? Were they opening up for someone else everytime??

I saw them at a 16000 person venue, a 50000 (outdoors) , a 3000 and twice at a 5000

The first time I bought my tickets, two times I got free tickets, another time it was at a festival and the last time I my brother wanted to go and I went with him.

The first 2 times it was great, but after that it seems they always play the same songs in the exact same way and even making the same moves and giving the same speeches

Krash_Kronic
03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I cant wait to see Placebo. they are a must see in my book. im seeing them 4 days before in SF. cant wait!!!

fro-ed
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
ill be really decided if placebo are on at the same time as rage because i love placebo but rage are brilliant

bballarl
03-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I think it is far more likely that Placebo and Manu Chao will conflict. I can't wait to see Placebo though, as long as they break out some older stuff. Meds was good, but not great.

Boourns
03-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I really want to see them, especially since they never fucking play America. And last time they did, it was opening for that pathetic Interpol cover band Editors Want Revenge. I just hope they aren't playing at the same time as Air, Rage, or Explosions in the Sky. I'm sure I'll be able to get my Lovefoxxx fixxx relatively early in the day, so no worries about CSS.

thelastgreatman
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Placebo playing at the same time as Manu/Rage would give me a nice excuse to avoid the throng of hosers at the Coachella stage. I'll pretty much go wherever I think there'll be a smaller contingent of white guys with dreadlocks.

TheWatcher
03-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Have never been disappointed by Placebo live. I'm a little bothered that they are on the same day as Rage, and I'll probably have to choose one or the other. Seems this always happens with "must see" bands -- I always have to miss some of them.

devachan
03-25-2007, 05:20 PM
They're ok.

Senor Cardgage
03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Listen to "Pure Morning" and imagine Dave Foley singing.

Just try it. Its fun.

petemoz
03-26-2007, 09:25 AM
They're playing in Providence next week!!!! I'll be there. And I'll be there again at Coachella!!!

As for them never playing here, um.. they've toured pretty much every album. Granted, sometimes co-headlining (SWR, Stabbing Westward). It may seem they never tour here because they're busy touring the WORLD.

amyzzz
03-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I think it is far more likely that Placebo and Manu Chao will conflict. I can't wait to see Placebo though, as long as they break out some older stuff. Meds was good, but not great.
If the schedule goes (main stage) Air--Manu Chao--RATM, and Placebo plays the outdoor stage during Manu Chao, I would be very happy with that (sorry Andrew).

Boourns
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
If the schedule goes (main stage) Air--Manu Chao--RATM, and Placebo plays the outdoor stage during Manu Chao, I would be very happy with that (sorry Andrew).

Seconded.

devachan
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Right. So I was just looking at the set list from the Coronet show 3/7 and it contains almost every song from Meds (20 songs old and new total). This is wayyy too heavy on new material. The set list must change for the U.S.

Or else.

01. Infra Red (Meds)
02. Meds (Meds)
03. Because I Want You (Meds)
04. Drag (Meds)
05. Sleeping With Ghosts (Sleeping with Ghosts)
06. I Know (Placebo)
07. Song to Say Goodbye (Meds)
08. Follow The Cops Back Home (Meds)
09. Every You Every Me (Without You I'm Nothing)
10. Special Needs (Sleeping with Ghosts)
11. One Of A Kind (Meds)
12. Without You Iím Nothing (Without You I'm Nothing)
13. Bionic (Placebo)
14. Special K (Black Market Music)
15. The Bitter End (Sleeping with Ghosts)
16. Running Up That Hill/Deal with God (Sleeping with Ghosts)
17. Taste In Men (Black Market Music)
18. Twenty Years (Once More with Feeling)
19. Blind (Meds)
20. Space Monkey (Meds)

tomaz or philthebeastie opinions not needed

TickleMeElmo
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure during their last US tour, they played mostly new material from Meds, which kinda sucks since while Meds is a decent album, I think their older stuff is better.

Boourns
03-29-2007, 09:11 PM
No "Passive Aggressive" or "My Sweet Prince"? Lame.

rage patton
03-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Ugh. So much new material.
Wait... no Pure Morning!?!? Whats up with up that?
I will probably go watch the end of thier set. It has more older stuff.

devachan
03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure during their last US tour, they played mostly new material from Meds, which kinda sucks since while Meds is a decent album, I think their older stuff is better.

Completely agreed. The U.S. tour starts around 4/1 so maybe the set list will change.

I didn't even notice that Pure Morning wasn't played. Jesus. How depressing.

kreutz2112
03-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Wrong thread, but I am listening to Placebo right now "36 Degrees"

Bulletproof
04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Placebo is my excuse for going to Coachella this year.

And I love the set list from the Coronet.

It would be nice to see them play Nancy Boy or 36 Degrees.

I don't see why the band doesn't play as much BMM live..It's such a great album.

BTW, they were awesome on their tour last year.

*Holds up Brian's guitar pick with pride*

thelastgreatman
04-01-2007, 05:54 PM
They had better fucking play My Sweet Prince or I'll be one unhappy ex-junkie.

corbo
04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
is it just me or do the decemberists sound exactly the same as placebo?
they both sound like whiny little fags.

oh and i like placebo better than the decemberists

Michelle
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
never seen them live. i am trying to see if i should see them additionally here a week before coachella...

rage patton
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
is it just me or do the decemberists sound exactly the same as placebo?
they both sound like whiny little fags.

oh and i like placebo better than the decemberists

Its just you. Decemberists sound nothing like Placebo. If your listening to anything off of Meds by Placebo... put it down. And listen to thier early stuff.

corbo
04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
the only cd ive listened to is "without you im nothing"
and then recently i listened to Dicemberists' picaresque (sp?).
you cant tell me there arent similarities in the voice of the lead singers.

beerbyatch
04-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Sounds nothing like Decemberists and I've seen both live, though PLacebo more times than Decemberists. Placebo is generally much more rockn while Decemberists are more indie/intricate. ANd I don't see Decemberists singing as much about drugs as does/did Placebo...

Both will put on fun shows-just different veins.... And I miss Pure Morning too, but they might pull it out for this show, just to hook all the newbies. Their cover of 20th Century boy would be fun to see, and I really hope for Running up that Hill!

whomod
04-02-2007, 07:59 AM
I've been into Placebo since I 1st caught one of their gigs over at the Whisky A Go-Go (during their 'Without You I'm Nothing' promotion). I've been a big fan of theirs ever since. Whoever said they suck onstage doesn't know what he/she's talking about. They're one of the best live acts i've seen, and i've seen a lot.

I'll have to say though that i'm not a fan of their latest CD, "Meds". If they stick to material from their first 3 CD's, or their greatest hits, it'd be a far better show.

petemoz
04-06-2007, 05:38 AM
I was at that Whiskey gig too. That was the first time I caught them as well and have been a huge fan since.

As for songs they'll play, I saw them last night in Providence RI so at least they're playing older songs now, unlike the last US tour. Here is what they played:

Infra-red
Meds
Because I Want You
Drag
Soulmates
I Know
Bionic
Song to Say Goodbye
Follow the Cops Back Home
Every Me Every You
Special Needs
One of a Kind
Without You I’m Nothing
Bitter End
Special K
Running Up That Hill

RockStr4Life
04-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Placebo are in my top 5 acts to see for sure

matsuolost
04-06-2007, 05:43 PM
no this picture??????????????

rage patton
04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Dammit!
Still no Pure Monring?

matsuolost
04-06-2007, 06:41 PM
their myspace says COACHELLA SECOND STAGE
so outdoor for placebo

here's to hoping they go against manu chao since i already saw him

Boourns
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Placebo vs Manu Chao would be fine with me.

Shyeviolett
04-07-2007, 03:37 PM
They had better fucking play My Sweet Prince or I'll be one unhappy ex-junkie.

Haha, I love that song too. I love Meds though so I wont be too pissed if they play a lot of new stuff...