PDA

View Full Version : Car Camping Setup

CeeInSoCal
03-30-2012, 11:13 PM
I haven't camped at Coachella since 2009, when the camping consisted of 8x8 spots for each person and involved lugging gear from the parking lot. With the 10x30 setup, is there any leeway in how you set up your spots? My friend and I each have a camping pass and will be arriving together. We would like to configure our sites together with the cars a certain way to leave us the maximum room for tents and shade structures. But it looks like from the pictures that they leave you no other option but to take up half your spot with your car at a particular angle. Is that the case?

Thanks!

DirtyPistol
03-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I haven't camped at Coachella since 2009, when the camping consisted of 8x8 spots for each person and involved lugging gear from the parking lot. With the 10x30 setup, is there any leeway in how you set up your spots? My friend and I each have a camping pass and will be arriving together. We would like to configure our sites together with the cars a certain way to leave us the maximum room for tents and shade structures. But it looks like from the pictures that they leave you no other option but to take up half your spot with your car at a particular angle. Is that the case?

Thanks!

There are a ton of threads in this area adressing this with lots of pictures and advice. Go check them out before the snark patrol shows up.

heyeric
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
That is the case.

The FAQ couldn't be any more clear...

http://i39.tinypic.com/35mmgrd.jpg

You can sometimes get away with parking the cars directly next to each other with no door space. Cars can't be parked at any other angle besides the way it's described on the site.

MissM
04-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Last year a group of five of us (more than five, but five vehicles) got through together and had epic car camping! We arranged our cars (one per spot) to give maximum usage of the space (this may mean parking WAY over on one side or another to create space between cars) and since mine was used for power I was able to park with the exhaust facing the "road" instead of the campsite (so we wouldn't fumigate our spot). Just be easy going and nice to the poor souls who are stuck with directing cars into the spots, and they'll be cool in return. :)

CitizenJ
04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
There was a a thread on "what to bring when car camping" and the first post had a huge list, anyone know where that is? couldn't find it.

MissM
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
IDK about that list, but I'll tell you what I brought:

FOR CAMP
Tents
Tarps (to line the bottom of the tents inside and out so no damage)
Air mattresses (with built in pumps AND separate battery operated pumps)
Sheets
Shower tent (PaHa Que, SOB is expensive though) - be sure to drain water towards walkway and NOT towards camp
Bucket for shower water; JetBoil to heat shower water; 2 5-gallon camp shower bags; tarp for under shower tent; batt powered shower pump -- note though that there ARE shower trailers, I brough this setup so we could shower on our own time
Coleman batt powered tent lights
Plastic reflector poles and caution tape to establish camp boundary (you get randoms wandering through if you don't do this)
Mallet
Power inverter for car
Small plastic trash cans (one for each tent room)
Extra batteries

FOR KITCHEN
Shade canopy 10x10 with screen walls for our food area
Huge Igloo coolers - 4 for drinks, 1 for cold food
Camp tables
Bag chairs
Batt powered christmas lights to string inside of 10x10
Folding laundry bag stand with kitchen garbage bags for campsite trash
IF you bring perishables, either only bring 1 day's worth OR make a schedule for buying/filling replacement ice OR get dry ice!!!
Bottle opener
Large ziplock bags. You MUST bag your shit once it's opened or you will have bugs. And toss trash daily or you will have bugs.
Hand sanitizer
Paper towels and paper plates
Plastic cups
Knives/forks/etc
CASES AND CASES of water!!! You WILL need water!!
Snacks
We had alcohol. You figure out how to bring it in (plastic bottles are allowed)
Can opener
Sharpie

FOR PERSONAL
Sunscreen
Soap/Shampoo/conditioner/razor/toothbrush/toothpaste/hair pick and brush/deoderant
Microfiber camp towels (NOT regular towels, they stay damp)
Flip flops (for wearing around camp and in showers)
Light jacket and/or sweatpants for at night
COMFY CLOTHES. It will get hot as hell during the day; tank tops and shorts are perfect
If you're a girl, bring extra hair ties and any "personal" items or medications you will need. Bring extras.
Sling bag to hold all your random crap accumulated throughout the day
Water bottle

tharris
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
IDK about that list, but I'll tell you what I brought:
JetBoil to heat shower water

They didn't give you any trouble about the JetBoil? I wanted to bring mine but they use a propane/butane blend that I thought wouldn't be allowed

yung_
04-04-2012, 08:47 AM
i read on the FAQ's I believe, that cooking devices that use propane, and not open fire, were allowed. (up to 5 gallons?) So I am assuming butane would be fine.

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Suposed to be only propane. Some security people check for it and some seem to not even see it.

moxie990
04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
to OP ... with only two cars you aren't going to be able to do much manuvering to create space just because of the simple fact that you only have two cars. Last year, I was with a group of 4 cars and once the guy parked us and moved on, we all jumped back in our cars and rearraigned what they had done. We kept them all facing the correct way (out towards road) but we moved the two outside cars as close as possible to the space's border and then moved the two middle cars as close as possible to the two outside cars (so we were left with a huge space in between the two middle cars). We set up two big tents in that area which saved us a ton of space in the "hang out" area. With only two spots though, you probably aren't going to be able to create that much room between your cars, but it's definitely still worth doing!

blackchango
04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Been waiting to post this link for a special occasion

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?38373-Car-camping-site-using-Google-Sketchup

CeeInSoCal
04-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. I have had to revise my sitemap a bit. I guess we will have to either put the cars as far apart as possible or as close together as possible to get a little more usable space. Won't be big enough for a shade structure, but I think we will have enough room anyway. Too bad we can't be more creative with parking to really maximize the space. Oh well - it is what it is. Can't wait to meet you all in the campground in one week!

MissM
04-11-2012, 02:42 AM
They didn't give you any trouble about the JetBoil? I wanted to bring mine but they use a propane/butane blend that I thought wouldn't be allowed

Nope, no problem at all! My canister wasn't huge, so I doubt they thought it was a problem. My guess is they don't want liquid fuel like gasoline or diesel or anything; self-contained packs seem to be ok.