PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on sleeping in your car?

salutemysharts
03-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Our group is massive, so to make the most of our camping areas some of us are considering sleeping in our cars/suvs instead of pitching tents. any campers care to share their experiences with sleeping in their cars? good/bad? any recommendations?

Vic Viper
03-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Our group is massive, so to make the most of our camping areas some of us are considering sleeping in our cars/suvs instead of pitching tents. any campers care to share their experiences with sleeping in their cars? good/bad? any recommendations?
windows down and/or doors open unless you feel like getting up at 6:30 every morning.

wstsidela
03-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Don't do it. It makes too much sense.

FWIW I stay in my truck. Eff that sleeping on the ground like an animal shit!!

salutemysharts
03-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Hahaha do you sleep in the bed of your truck or actually inside? I factored in the heat aspect just not so damn early in the morning.

wstsidela
03-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Inside. I put a pop-up shelter over the cab & bed to keep out the sun.

Riggins33
03-30-2012, 01:09 AM
I slept in my car for two years, shits aight if ya have to. Keep ya head up and stack that paper.

Neighborhood Creep
03-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Juat make sure your wife donest find out

Goatchella
03-30-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm gonna sleep in my ride. Got an air mattress designed for my model jeep, open up the back hatch and hang a tapestry over. Canopy over the jeep and mesh walls all around to keep out the sun and the wooks.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-30-2012, 08:36 AM
...Got an air mattress designed for my model jeep...

What is this? A Jeep for ants? How can we be expected to camp at Coachella... if we can't even fit inside the car?

ENluv12
03-30-2012, 08:37 AM
What is this? A Jeep for ants? How can we be expected to camp at Coachella... if we can't even fit inside the car?

It has to be at least............. 3 x bigger than this!

Vic Viper
03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmeluwJpic1qc63sno1_500.jpg

moxie990
03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Last year my group camped next to these two chicks from England who came with NOTHING except themselves and their rental car. I respected their efforts of just winging it, but they said that sleeping in their car sucked. If you don't have a truck or some way of making it more comfortable than just reclining your seat all the way back, I'd suggest you don't do it. It's obviously possible, but they were hating their lives by Saturday. We offered up some space in our site, but they didn't even have a blanket to throw on the ground to sleep on.

On the contrary to that, one guy in our group had a truck and he put an air mattress in the bed of his truck (had a cap on it) and he just left his tailgate open and slept in there and he loved it.

So if you can make it comfy, go for it and leave a window or something open, but if you're thinking of just sleeping in your actual car seat, do more!

Robin
03-30-2012, 08:47 AM
I slept in the passenger seat of a Corolla last year. It was alright. A bit uncomfortable on the legs since I couldn't straighten them out.
This year, I have a Honda Pilot to sleep in. It's going to be glorious!

Goatchella
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/tntinucci/2012/5c533f7c.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/tntinucci/2012/27a54ff4.jpg

The actual matress is 6 foot and squeezes where ever it can with tail gate closed or hangs out a couple inches with it open, which it would be. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and sleep in a fetal position. Prob 5' when I lay down. Me and my Gf are both small I guess.

4ft x 6 ft is more than enough space to sleep. On an air matress with sheets and pillows, inside the jeep and covered with sun shade, canopy and tapestry. Will be more comfortable than most.

Ps a twin bed is 39" x 75"

amma_sol
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
one of my campmates slept in the car last year and she didn't have a good night sleep at all. (she was sleeping in my yaris so it was fairly small but she is a little Asian girl). It gets hot in the car before the tents so she was always up before anyone else. Plus side of this, she got to the shower before there were any lines. But she is bringing a tent this year so my guessing is... it wasn't worth the space saved.

MidnightSIX
03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
windows down and/or doors open unless you feel like getting up at 6:30 every morning.

^this. The heat outside is awful think about what a microwave your car will be.

I'd say do it if you have a hatchback or some sort of car with enough space where you can stretch your legs a bit (and i dont mean by pulling back the seat, that shit doesn't cut it). If you don't you'll be alright for the first few nights, but with all the walking and standing you'll be doing... man you're back will not be happy with you by late sat + sunday

Goatchella
03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a huge open backed SUV

The solar generator I have will allow me to put a timer on a 26" box fan. My jeep will be a wind tunnel right as the sun comes up. Then I will start a pot of coffee or cubensis tea and take a cool shower with my running water.
I will sip my tea in my lovesac and enjoy some bluegrass music while everyone else suffers.

Neighborhood Creep
03-30-2012, 10:06 AM
lol

Goatchella
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Sounds great huh??
You can cuddle if you want. I'll start a fight with Chew on purpose and we can spoon

Courtney
03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
That actually does sound pretty ideal.

I would imagine that having a canopy over the car would help. Or, if that's not possible, then just draping some reflective emergency blankets over the roof.

Goatchella
03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
I'll have canopy over my whole site 10x10 ( x3) mesh shade around the whole thing, a reflective window shade in the drivers window, tinted back windows and a steal your face tapestry behind the mesh in front of the car...

I'm used to mimosas and air conditioningchella. So I gotta come proper. The solar power, my racks on my jeep and an endless budget make this possible.

My whole motto is fuck it...hit the polo fields and blow my whole budget!!

GuyInTucson
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmeluwJpic1qc63sno1_500.jpg

The Spruce Moose!

Goatchella
That actually does sound pretty ideal.

I would imagine that having a canopy over the car would help. Or, if that's not possible, then just draping some reflective emergency blankets over the roof.

Have you seen the trial run thread court dahg?
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?52555-Campsite-trial-run

muzikrazed
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
If you were going to sleep in your car with the trunk open, won't your battery die? is there some way to keep the hatch back open and the battery alive?

JustSteve
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
maybe disconnect the battery? have had a couple cars where only the back light came on when the hatch was open and it was possible to turn it off.

Goatchella
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Zactly^^

julioflapc
03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
How about the heat?

Cactuskev
03-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I've slept in the back of my SUV for the past three and it's been great. I cut out some pieces of cardboard that fit perfectly inside all the windows to block the light and then cracked the sunroof and windows for ventilation.

It stayed nice and cool in there until mid morning, plus you get the added bonus of having more of a sound barrier than a tent provides.

taco goes to coachella
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Back of my truck last year and for every year ever to come. Brought 3 thin sheets of 3/8" plywood. two to form a triangle over the bed, and one on the bottom to cover the bed grooves. Covered the bottom with a carpet remnant and was super cozy using a sleeping bag and thin air cushion. Was SO nice to have all the room in my space.