PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the campgrounds?

a3s1g1
03-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Fully aware that this post will inevitably result in a snarkfest, I posit the question nonetheless:

We're thinking of heading back from Coachella on Sunday night, either during or after Snoop & Dre...with car camping (which we haven't done before), can you just leave Sunday night? Or do they not let you start moving cars around until Monday morning?

Couldn't find that exact information on the site, just this:

Onsite camping opens Thursday, April 12, 2012, at 9:00am and closes on Monday, April 16, 2012 at noon. Early arrival is highly recommended. Cars can check in at 9am on Thursday until 2am, and starting at 9am FRI-Sun (until 11PM). 24 hours for pedestrians.

which doesn't answer my question...and searching the boards proved fruitless.

Thanks in advance.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
You can leave camping any time you want to but you just cannot come back in.

blueduck
03-23-2012, 02:57 PM
bad idea | traffic

a3s1g1
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
bad idea | traffic

right, but our original plan was to leave Monday. Now that one of us has to be at work Monday morning (ew) we have to readjust, traffic or not.

ReveurConstant
03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I think I read somewhere that you can leave early from car camping if you tell security, and they will help guide your vehicle out of the grounds.

LetThereBeLight
03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
I saw people leave early last year.

aphrael
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
One thing to beware of is that often, right when the festival ends for the day, you can't leave the campgrounds, because of the way the roads are configured for people leaving the festival. IIRC you have to wait ~2 hrs or so after the end of the festival day.

Which means that if you're going to do this you need to duck out before the barricades go up.

kvnty
03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
I left on Sunday last year, and the security couldn't have been any nicer about it. Drove right out and didn't have any traffic at all (though it was earlier in the day).

psychic friend
03-23-2012, 04:01 PM
When the festival is ending, several thousand pedestrians are weaving through the grounds to get to their cars. they wont let car campers out during that time. dont plan on trying to leave until after 2am.

SeantheJeweler
03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
What about leaving during the day?? We have a large group for car camping with 6 spots and we have one person who has to leave Saturday (stupid I know but it's their money) and we figured he could just drive on out. I saw people doing it the last 2 years and everyone around them was overjoyed they left a large open spot for them! We don't mind either!

ods..
03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
When the festival is ending, several thousand pedestrians are weaving through the grounds to get to their cars. they wont let car campers out during that time. dont plan on trying to leave until after 2am.

Hm. :/ What time will they not allow car campers to leave do you think? I think I'm going to try to leave sunday night...

What if I left my spot during the day Sunday, and then parked in the regular day parking lots? Would that be possible? I imagine it would be. What do you think though, PF?

a3s1g1
03-24-2012, 10:00 AM

okay, thank you for that. Appreciate it.

funlovingmonkey
04-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I had the same question, so if I wanted to catch Dre & Snoop then I would likely only be able to leave at 2am?

Does anyone know how bad traffic might be if I wanted to get to Palm Springs for an early flight? I have to get there at 4am at the latest. Google says 36 min drive so traffic would have to be pretty bad.