PDA

View Full Version : U.S. VIRGIN FESTIVAL

SometimesNJ
03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't know if this is being discussed anywhere else on the board..but the initial lineup for the Virgin Fest in Baltimore was just announced. Police, Pumpkins, and Beasties..same weekend as Lollapalooza..which is odd. Last year it was the last weekend in September.

This is great news..but I'm still holdin out for the Lolla lineup.

http://www.virginfestival.com/2007/index.html

ediger
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see the Beastie Boys.

sddoctor
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't know if this is being discussed anywhere else on the board..but the initial lineup for the Virgin Fest in Baltimore was just announced. Police, Pumpkins, and Beasties..same weekend as Lollapalooza..which is odd. Last year it was the last weekend in September.

This is great news..but I'm still holdin out for the Lolla lineup.

http://www.virginfestival.com/2007/index.html

They moved the dates to August to accomodate The Police.

SometimesNJ
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
They moved the dates to August to accomodate The Police.

oh is that right? i guess that makes sense..especially if they're just doin a summer tour.

wanmonei
03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
smashing pumpkin... mmmm

ThomThom
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
That kind of makes it obvious that the Pumpkins are playing Lolla now, since it is confirmed that they will be in the States that weekend.

sddoctor
03-22-2007, 02:10 PM
it's also been said, somewhere, perhaps billboard.com, that some artists are definitely playing both fesitvals.

Tylerdurden31
03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
damnit...i've really been wanting to see the police...

well...if lolla sucks...i'm off to baltimore...plus it's a lot closer

bartelby
03-22-2007, 03:08 PM
i doubt SP will do lolla now...

ED GEIN
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM

I bet they still do. I remember last year Kanye performed at the San Diego Street Scene and flew to Chicago for Lolla the very next day. It is still very much in the realm of possibility.

sddoctor
03-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I bet they still do. I remember last year Kanye performed at the San Diego Street Scene and flew to Chicago for Lolla the very next day. It is still very much in the realm of possibility.

I forgot about Street Scene. Is that going on this same weekend? If so, it's gonna be a shallow pool for available artists that weekend.

ThunderInTheSky
03-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Why wouldnt they do Lollapalooza? Its in their hometown! Thats the best place for them to play.

woogie846
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow, those are some big names.

suprefan
03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I read on the Police tour website that they were playing at Pimlico but nothign else. Man this is gonna be nuts. And yeah no Pumpkins for Lolla now..

Boourns
03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
So aren't Virgin, Lolla, and Street Scene all on the same weekend this year? I'm guessing Street Scene will be the weakest.

Alchemy
03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
How is V-Fest usually set up? Fields with stages also? Just less stages?

SometimesNJ
03-22-2007, 06:11 PM
How is V-Fest usually set up? Fields with stages also? Just less stages?

this is only the 2nd annual show and being that this year it's 2 days, it may be setup differently..but last year there was one main stage (chili peppers, the who, killers, etc.), one small stage on the other side of the infield (flips, brazilian girls, clap your hands), and then a large dj tent (tiesto, etc.)..they also had other tents with activities and areas to chill out

after goin to bonnaroo, v fest seemed pretty lame..but this year sounds pretty sweet so far

Alchemy
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
this is only the 2nd annual show and being that this year it's 2 days, it may be setup differently..but last year there was one main stage (chili peppers, the who, killers, etc.), one small stage on the other side of the infield (flips, brazilian girls, clap your hands), and then a large dj tent (tiesto, etc.)..they also had other tents with activities and areas to chill out

after goin to bonnaroo, v fest seemed pretty lame..but this year sounds pretty sweet so far

I am not expecting much. I am sure this year's Coachella will wipe out all festivals. And I am sure it won't be better than the past Coachellas and Lollapalooza I have seen... But I want to see The Police and The Smashing Pumpkins, so it'll do.

I am kind of hoping that it gets some of the bands Coachella missed though. Mew? Badly Drawn Boy?

I have my doubts though.

suprefan
03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
This is gonna be a rough weekend. Only in America do 3 festivals conflict and make the amount of bands available slim to none. Share the wealth and make everyone happy ya know? Having Lolla and Street Scene the same weekend just happend and wasnt the worst thing. But moving Virgin because the Police made them move to work with tour plans is just plain booty kissing and all about money. At least in Europe the bands are spread out over the summer and you can see them a few times in different countries.

menikmati
03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
SP ain't doing lolla

menikmati
03-22-2007, 06:44 PM
with SP and the Police and Beasties playing that weekend....lolla has its work cut out, but it might have something special in store (besides the already confirmed headliners PJ and Daft)...hmm maybe....nah.

bartelby
03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
i'm hoping for radiohead....i realize its not too likely but i'm hopin anyways!

Boourns
03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Having three festivals the same weekend is, in fact, real shitty. Every year there are some bands that hit the festival circuit and everyone wants them, but this extreme competition is going to stretch them out too far and is going to leave, at best, two decent festivals and one shit one.

menikmati
03-22-2007, 06:49 PM
has it been confirmed street scene is taking place that same weekend? No. I would safely bet they're having it earlier (or maybe in late august, though bands are booked for reading/leeds during that time).

menikmati
03-22-2007, 06:51 PM
I still won't be surprised to see the Beasties play lolla though

That70sdesperado
03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Street Scene hasn't announced their dates yet. It still says August 4-5, which were the festival's dates last year, but Street Scene typically runs on a Friday or Saturday. I bet they move it to a week earlier. As for Lolla, well, they have their work cut out.

hangthedj112
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I could easily see Street Scene changing dates to accommodate a few bigger name artists. Their numbers have been dropping each year, pretty sure they try to get all the huge bands they can.

ThomThom
03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Why is everybody so content with the Pumpkins not playing their hometown's festival when they will be roughly a few states away from it on the same weekend, I remember Kanye doing street scene and Lolla in two consecutive days, I really do believe now more than before that the Lolla headliners will be Pearl Jam, Daft Punk, and the Pumpkins...this is simply because the Pumpkins are now confirmed to be in the US that weekend.

SometimesNJ
03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Why is everybody so content with the Pumpkins not playing their hometown's festival when they will be roughly a few states away from it on the same weekend, I remember Kanye doing street scene and Lolla in two consecutive days, I really do believe now more than before that the Lolla headliners will be Pearl Jam, Daft Punk, and the Pumpkins...this is simply because the Pumpkins are now confirmed to be in the US that weekend.

agreed. lolla also has one extra day..pumpkins could easilly play friday night with no other conflicting shows.

luckyface
03-23-2007, 01:44 AM
To all of you who are saying Street Scene might change dates, I think you are right. I did a search on Yahoo!, and look what came up under the description of the Street Scene site:

"September event transforming the streets of downtown San Diego."

C DUB YA
03-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Don't expect too much even with that headliner line-up. After all, it took Coachella a few years to iron out all their kinks. Lolla will prolly be the better bet, but we shall see. Lolla will def have MANY more bands to choose from, plus Baltimore ain't no Chicago.

Mind is now made up.

shotglass75
03-23-2007, 07:10 AM
I actually think you could get Beasties and Smashing Pumpkins to perform at both Virgin and Lolla. Carling Weekend in Europe has 2 fests being held on the same weekend. There is Leeds and Reading which pretty much have the same bands just playing on different nights. The line up may be sub par but it can be done
http://www.readingfestival.com/images/pix/reading2007.jpg

menikmati
03-23-2007, 08:06 AM
well the reading/leeds thing is different...it's basically the same festival, just being held twice for people in two different regions or something....it's the same exact lineup, just with different rotating days.....lolla/virgin is completely different...where it's two completely different festivals competing against each other and in seperate states.

shotglass75
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM
well the reading/leeds thing is different...it's basically the same festival, just being held twice for people in two different regions or something....it's the same exact lineup, just with different rotating days.....lolla/virgin is completely different...where it's two completely different festivals competing against each other and in seperate states.

I'll be honest with you I don't know that much about Reading/Leads. How far away from one another are the 2 fests? Plus if each band is pretty much on their own schedule they could certainly play 2 different Fests in the states the same weekend. Hop on a plane from Baltimore and get to Chicago in about 2 hours.

menikmati
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
from wiki:

In 1999 the festival gained another leg at Temple Newsam in Leeds, when it was clear that the Reading site was far too small to deal with the demand. Though the 1999 Leeds Festival ran a day behind the Reading leg, a system where the line up of Reading play Leeds the following day, with the bands from Leeds' opening day playing the final day in Reading, soon developed.

menikmati
03-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Also, since Virgin and Lolla festivals are owned and ran by seperate companies and competing against each other (AND being on the same weekend), I would think both are trying to get exclusive acts to bring crowds. I mean what's the point of getting the Pumpkins to play Virgin on a Sunday, if they just played lolla on friday? You're trying to attract a weekend crowd I would think. There has to be some type of exclusiveness of bands going on I think. With lolla tickets being a pass for all 3 days, I find it hard to believe that someone would purchase tickets for it to see pumpkins on that friday, and then wanna goto Baltimore to see them again on Sunday. That doesn't make sense to me.

starrdogg
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Also, since Virgin and Lolla festivals are owned and ran by seperate companies and competing against each other (AND being on the same weekend), I would think both are trying to get exclusive acts to bring crowds. I mean what's the point of getting the Pumpkins to play Virgin on a Sunday, if they just played lolla on friday? You're trying to attract a weekend crowd I would think. There has to be some type of exclusiveness of bands going on I think. With lolla tickets being a pass for all 3 days, I find it hard to believe that someone would purchase tickets for it to see pumpkins on that friday, and then wanna goto Baltimore to see them again on Sunday. That doesn't make sense to me.

I think you're somewhat missing the point here. I don't think most people are like us festival nuts on this board who would be willing to travel across the country for these shows. The average person is not likely choosing between Virgin and Lolla, as they are about 800 miles apart. They're going to the one closest to them or neither.

menikmati
03-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah but I don't see the point of two seperate festivals on the same weekend booking the same headliners. Originally I was thinking that either SP or Beastie Boys could of been playing lolla...but Lolla may be going for Pearl Jam, Daft Punk, and (White Stripes, NIN, Radiohead).

ewiggy
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
i'd like to point out that the reading/leeds logos are fucking terrible. that's all.

menikmati
03-23-2007, 08:47 AM
they always have been

Courtney
03-23-2007, 08:49 AM
It amazes me how much prettier the board members' own poster designs from the last the Create Your Own Festival contest are than some of the real posters floating around out there. Seriously, do these people even hire graphic designers? I'm starting to doubt.

luckyface
03-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Wow, I would be in heaven with that Reading/Leeds lineup. Angels and Airwaves AND Panice at the Disco on the same day?

Tylerdurden31
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, I would be in heaven with that Reading/Leeds lineup. Angels and Airwaves AND Panice at the Disco on the same day?

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

rage patton
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Ok...
So Vancouver V-Fest has My Chemical Romance, The Killer and AFI. (We had Muse, but they dropped out)
Toronto V-Fest has Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork and Interpol. Pretty decent.
And US V-Fest has The Police, The Smashing Pumpkins and The Beastie Boys!!! Thats not even fair to Vancouver. Ugh.
Whatever, Coachella is still the best line up I have seen :)

RockStr4Life
03-26-2007, 11:39 PM
That sucks after all the hype over Coachella getting Smashing Pumpkins that it didn't get it...but Coachella still has Rage...

luckyface
03-27-2007, 12:10 AM
That sucks after all the hype over Coachella getting Smashing Pumpkins that it didn't get it...but Coachella still has Rage...

It seems like every festival is getting the Pumpkins, except for Coachella.

goatparade
03-27-2007, 12:24 AM
oh my god!...that festival has Angels & airwaves and +44? I smell drammmma....lol

back4more
03-27-2007, 01:44 AM
I was hoping to go to Reading again this year, but the line up is pretty weak.

Incidentally, the first V festival to be held in Australia is on in Sydney this Saturday. Only one day but a top line up - Pixies, Beck, Groove Armada, Gnarls Barkley, The Rapture, Soulwax, 2manyDJS, Pet Shop Boys, Jarvis Cocker, and so on. It's gonna be tops. Nice little warm up for Coachella.

Boourns
03-27-2007, 01:55 AM
It's the jarV Festival

paulb
03-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Ok...
So Vancouver V-Fest has My Chemical Romance, The Killer and AFI. (We had Muse, but they dropped out)
Toronto V-Fest has Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork and Interpol. Pretty decent.
And US V-Fest has The Police, The Smashing Pumpkins and The Beastie Boys!!! Thats not even fair to Vancouver. Ugh.
Whatever, Coachella is still the best line up I have seen :)

Vancouver got the shittiest line up ever... Balitmore has the fuckin best without a doubt...beastie boys and smashing pumpkins!!! we got the police comin anyways, but seriously, we need SP and especially more Bboys!

rampaige
03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know what tickets might run for the Virgin Festival? I promised myself I would go to the first stateside opportunity to see Pumpkins. I really really hope they play Lolla though, if anything cause Chicago is at least in driving distance from me.

Has anyone been to Virgin? I'm sure it doesn't even begin to compare to Coachella, but there's got to be some good stuff about it, right?