PDA

View Full Version : The Thread Where We Answer The Onion AV Club Q&A Questions

SoulDischarge
03-17-2012, 09:57 AM
So every Friday, the A.V. Club has someone ask a question to their staff about something relating to pop culture. It can often lead to some interesting conversations. I thought it would be fun if we started answering the questions posted every week amongst ourselves since we're all pop culture dorks as well. Here's a link to the latest one: http://www.avclub.com/articles/bands-you-love-but-wouldnt-see-live,70942/

So. What band do you like but would never pay money to see live?

bmack86
03-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Kiss. I love them and would love to see that live show, but I'd never pay the money, and they'll never play a festival where I'd see them. Same for Van Halen.

zircona1
03-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna say The Who. I've only recently fallen for their music - Who's Next doesn't have a bad song on it - but I wouldn't pay to see just Daltrey and Townshend.

zenidogx
03-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, there's that Beach Boys reunion I'd like to see but wouldn't dare spend cash on.

And now that The Black Keys are big, I can't imagine myself paying to see them at an arena. I've only ever seen them at festivals before Brothers came out and Brothers is my favorite album of theirs.

icedKeg
03-17-2012, 12:07 PM
The Beach Boys come to mind for sure. I mean, they're 70 and I doubt their songs sound similar to the recordings I grew up hearing. It would probably be a snoooooze fest.

Grandma
03-17-2012, 12:17 PM
about 90% of electronic acts

rasooli
03-17-2012, 12:35 PM
The Verve or Prince

malcolmjamalawesome
03-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Great thread. The answer is Danzig.

Mugwog
03-17-2012, 01:55 PM
So. What band do you like but would never pay money to see live?

For all purposes of nostalgia - Aerosmith

And I hope they would play "Amazing"

Alchemy
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I think most of the bands I listened to in the 90s are bands that I like but wouldn't pay money to see them. Mostly because I only like them now for the strange and pleasurable nostalgia that arises from listening to them. I'm thinking of bands like Fastball, No Doubt, and even junk like Korn, Staind, and Disturbed. (Though, I might even turn down those last three bands if it were free, not because I wouldn't want to hear them, but because I don't want to be near their present-day fans.)

rasooli
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Also Local H

JustSteve
03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Kiss. I love them and would love to see that live show, but I'd never pay the money, and they'll never play a festival where I'd see them. Same for Van Halen.

seen them a few times and have never had to pay. was totally worth it.

SoulDischarge
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Past two weeks:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/entertainment-that-made-you-sick,71311/

In Peter Biskind’s Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, there’s a great anecdote: Some studio execs attend a screening of The Exorcist, anxious (perhaps understandably) about the film’s prospects. Midway through the screening, an audience member jumps from her seat, runs up the aisle, and throws up in a trashcan at the back of the auditorium. It was then, the story goes, that Warners knew it might have a hit. Prodded by the recent discussion of Dead Alive and its memorable “pudding scene,” I’d ask what moments in movies and TV have caused you genuine physical nausea, whether from anxiety about the characters/situation, cinematic style (looking at you, von Trier), or just sheer oopy-goopiness. —Andrew

http://www.avclub.com/articles/avqa-mandatory-popculture-tattoos,71652/

Congress has passed a law requiring all people to get a pop-culture-related tattoo. What would you get and why? Me, I would get the typeface from Rubber Soul, my favorite album. —Andrew

As for the first question, I've endured a lot of gross out cinema, so it's hard to really think of anything having much of an effect on me anymore, but I kind of have to agree with that scene from Monty Python's Meaning Of Life. I saw it as a kid and it stuck with me in a bad way to the point where every fat person I saw in a movie after that for a short period of time made me feel kind of disturbed.

I've kind of always wanted to cover of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures across my back. It's the only tattoo idea I've ever wanted for a long period of time. Not just because I like Joy Division or that album, I just like the simplicity of the design and would claim it represented my love of music and sound in general. I also like that it's supposedly soundwaves taken from outer space.

Courtney
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I had to walk out of Straw Dogs (the original 1970s version) when I first saw it at a screening at LACMA, because I found it so upsetting.

I'm going to have to think about the tattoo question.

Miroir Noir
03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
1) Solondz's Happiness. The last scene with the kid and the dog. My god.

2) The quill pen from the cover of Funeral.

zircona1
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
1. Sweet Movie, specifically the banquet scene.

2. Does it have to be from something already established in the culture? Because I have a music project/band and I have a logo, so I'd do that.

algunz
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
1. The fight scene in the first Bourne where the assasin ends up jumping out the window.

2. I have a lot of choices for the tattoo. Would it have to be current pop-culture?

Alchemy
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I've never had nausea from a movie, but when it released, I wanted out of the theater for Alien Resurrection.

And if I had to get a pop culture tattoo, I'd get a small Bluth Banana tattooed on the back of my neck, with maybe in small print, "There's always money in the banana stand."

PotVsKtl
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
1. Sweet Movie, specifically the banquet scene..

Same answer. I watched this for a college course and half the room left.

I have a tattoo of the Crass logo so I am exempt from pop mandates.

GeezrRckr
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
^where's that tatt?

1) The gnarly scenes in Irreversible (you know the ones I speak of). But, I now have a morbid curiousity about Sweet Movie. DLing now.
2) it would be this on my left shoulder. Wait, right under my left wrist (so I could see it more easily).
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=24070067

Mugwog
03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
1) Pet cemetery where the kid cuts the heel of the old man, always gets me

2) As an NIN fan also I'd get a barcode on my body somewhere with NIN visible within the bar code, feeling very Yesr Zero-esque

TomAz
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
1. A number of Disney films I had to watch when my children were much younger caused me to suffer from Post Melodramatic Stress Disorder.

2. http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5672417943_b41ecea2bd.jpg

HotHamWater
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
1) I can think of two reactions that stand out. When I was a little kid, the "Thriller" video used to make me cry and run out of the room. Also, in "Meet Joe Black," the scene in which Brad Pitt(?) gets hit by a bus was kind of jarring because it was out of nowhere.

2) I have a pop-culture tattoo on my left calf. It's the Radiohead bear logo, with the lyric "Hey, man, slow down slow down..." above it and "Idiot, slow down slow down" below it. That's the chorus to my favorite song of all time, "The Tourist." It also represents the thing I enjoy the most (music), and sort of a mantra I always try to keep in mind. I really don't know of any other pop-culture tatts I would get.

algunz
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
1) Pet cemetery where the kid cuts the heel of the old man, always gets me

I thought of this one too.

PotVsKtl
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
^where's that tatt?

http://filipinofreethinkers.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/doll-where-did-he-touch-you-child-abuse-creepy.jpg

algunz
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
To answer the first question - The Eagles

ods..
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
1. Sweet Movie, specifically the banquet scene.

2. Does it have to be from something already established in the culture? Because I have a music project/band and I have a logo, so I'd do that.

1. I was gonna say Sweet Movie. Disturbing as fuck... that or Holy Mountain would be my choice.

2. Probably like an Alex Grey design or something if that counts. Or maybe the DSOTM prism on my forearm if we're going as cheese/pop-culture as we can haha.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I thought I was going to have a heart attack the first time I saw 21 Grams. I could not believe how much i was being affected by a movie.

HowToDisappear
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
The only time a movie has made me nauseous (and that was after the fact) was the morning after I saw Alien. I fixed myself a nice plate of over easy eggs, I started to eat, and then started thinking of poor John Hurt's last supper with the Nostromo crew and its unfortunate result. I had to push the plate away and hurriedly leave the room. (I admit, that film pretty much blew us away; we'd never seen anything like that in the theater before.)

But for sheer shock/horror/upset value, yes those scenes in Irreversible do it for me, too.

Not a fan of tattoos, and can't think of a single thing I'd want indelibly placed on my body.

Vasoline Groove
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah, the first thing that came to mind was the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible. That shit was fucked.

algunz
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Or the mouth on the curb in American History X.

If I was to get something truly pop-culture on my skin, I might go with one of Keith Harring's characters.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
The "Jesus Wept" scene in Hell Raiser

Bill The Cat and/or Opus. Might do it without a federal mandate.

nathanfairchild
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
the scene in Signs where the alien walks across on the tv terrified me the first time i saw it (i was 11)

for a tattoo i'd like the moon face with the spaceship in it's eye from A Trip to the Moon.

Miroir Noir
03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
the scene in Signs where the alien walks across on the tv terrified me the first time i saw it (i was 11).
Jesus Christ that makes me feel old.

SoulDischarge
03-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, now that I think about it, I had a mild anxiety attack all afternoon after seeing Before The Devil Knows Your Dead in the theater. That is one misanthropic slice of drama. I don't know if the film caused the anxiety or if it was something going on in the background of my mind amplified by the bleak pessism of that film, but it seriously agitated the hell out of me.

HotHamWater
03-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind gave me anxiety. Is that cliche?

amyzzz
03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
IRREVERSIBLE GAY SEX CLUB scene. oh yeah and the rape scene. Gaspar Noe ftw.

amyzzz
03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
^where's that tatt?

1) The gnarly scenes in Irreversible (you know the ones I speak of). But, I now have a morbid curiousity about Sweet Movie. DLing now.
2) it would be this on my left shoulder. Wait, right under my left wrist (so I could see it more easily).
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=24070067
Oops. This is my answer. Sorry for the previous post.

Courtney
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I went back to the tattoo thread to see what tattoos with pop culture stuff I had posted because I liked, and these came up:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kxburwskNE1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

http://news.bmezine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lego-village-people.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DGmjKsBO0aE/SxkgYXVcg-I/AAAAAAAAE3Q/iU9W4TosqwA/s400/tumblr_kt4pje395w1qa0nd6o1_500.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/5165677994_20cc570c87_o.jpg

But I wouldn't actually get any of those personally. I guess I just don't really like pop culture tattoos, for myself.

caeden
03-31-2012, 01:01 AM
i wanna play...

1) the curb scene from american history x. that shit still stresses me out to this day

2) i'd get the atlanta braves "a" logo on my upper arm. most likely the left one

ods..
03-31-2012, 01:03 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kxburwskNE1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

I'd marry this girl

lol. not really. but that tattoo is hot

Wheres the beef?
03-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Past two weeks:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/entertainment-that-made-you-sick,71311/

In Peter Biskind’s Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, there’s a great anecdote: Some studio execs attend a screening of The Exorcist, anxious (perhaps understandably) about the film’s prospects. Midway through the screening, an audience member jumps from her seat, runs up the aisle, and throws up in a trashcan at the back of the auditorium. It was then, the story goes, that Warners knew it might have a hit. Prodded by the recent discussion of Dead Alive and its memorable “pudding scene,” I’d ask what moments in movies and TV have caused you genuine physical nausea, whether from anxiety about the characters/situation, cinematic style (looking at you, von Trier), or just sheer oopy-goopiness. —Andrew
[/url]

The Human Centipede
I haven't even seen it, but just knowing the plot of the movie was sufficient to enable my imagination to dwell on the subject just long enough to cause me to leave my desk at work at least three times.

bmack86
03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
1) All of Salo. Just for the idea that people could do that to others.

2) I have three tattoos I've been wanting to get. They are all (surprise...) music-related. First, I want the Black Flag bars. Second, the Neutral Milk Hotel flying phonograph. Third, and this is the one I'm most interested in getting, a cosmia moth flying towards a gas lantern with one of the two lines: either "Will you call me when you get there?" or "And I miss your precious heart."

rskapcat
03-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Third, and this is the one I'm most interested in getting, a cosmia moth flying towards a gas lantern with one of the two lines: either "Will you call me when you get there?" or "And I miss your precious heart."

I love this. Please do it. I vote for the latter quote.

guedita
03-31-2012, 09:37 AM
1. Requiem for a Dream. Everything about Ellen Burstyn's character in that.

2. 5654

Hannahrain
03-31-2012, 10:06 AM

2) I have three tattoos I've been wanting to get. They are all (surprise...) music-related. First, I want the Black Flag bars. Second, the Neutral Milk Hotel flying phonograph. Third, and this is the one I'm most interested in getting, a cosmia moth flying towards a gas lantern with one of the two lines: either "Will you call me when you get there?" or "And I miss your precious heart."

Becca is wrong. Get the first quote.

I don't remember ever actually turning a movie off due to nausea, but for some reason old-age prosthetics turn my stomach in much more than an I-don't-like-to-look-at-this sort of way. The old-Winona-Ryder scene in Edward Scissorhands makes me really uncomfortable. It's like a hoarse paper lady face prodded into the skin on top of somebody's left-out pudding. Eugh.

I also will give an honorable mention to the episode of My Strange Addiction with the lady who is addicted to drinking and bathing in her own urine. The whole thing is terrifying, but there's a scene where she talks about how she likes to leave it out for a few weeks and then demonstrates using the old stale urine in in an eye cup that is particularly harrowing.

I guess urban legends are pop culture. I'd get a jagged abdominal scar with hints of frostbite in the kidney area. Or, more earnestly, maybe one of the original Quentin Blake illustrations from Matilda. Shit was formative.

zircona1
03-31-2012, 11:00 AM

Yep. I had a hard time eating dinner after watching that.

zenidogx
03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
My pop culture tattoo would be the cover art for Hissing Fauna. I'd splatter that on my back. It would be a painfully long process, but it would look cool.

Miroir Noir
05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Re-booting now that April is over. What music do you listen to when you are mad (http://www.avclub.com/articles/music-when-youre-mad,73467/)?

This is an easy one for me: nothing. I can't focus or listen to music when I am genuinely angry (which, fortunately, doesn't happen all that often). I could make a hell of a "when I'm feeling sad" playlist, but I've got nothing for anger.

amyzzz
05-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Re-booting now that April is over. What music do you listen to when you are mad (http://www.avclub.com/articles/music-when-youre-mad,73467/)?

This is an easy one for me: nothing. I can't focus or listen to music when I am genuinely angry (which, fortunately, doesn't happen all that often). I could make a hell of a "when I'm feeling sad" playlist, but I've got nothing for anger.
NIN.

Mugwog
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
NIN.

Pretty much

Alchemy
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
There was a time in my life when I was experiencing a combination of anger and sadness. In that time, I listened heavily to Mew's And the Glass Handed Kites for some reason (it wasn't the first I had heard it), and I also started to get familiar with The Smiths (via hits compilations). Both of them were very therapeutic.

algunz
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
We need another question.

I need a diversion, desperately.

amyzzz
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Smiths are good too. Good call, Tim. I prefer the first two albums: The Smiths and Meat Is Murder for anger. (sorry in advance, TomAZ)

algunz
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
When I'm mad, I don't listen to music.

Boourns
05-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't see live: Anyone whose ticket price is too high ($75 is my limit, and that's reserved for the likes of Radiohead, Pulp, etc). Or anyone that plays venues I'm not willing to deal with (arenas, anywhere but the pit at the Greek). This one's really a temporary situation, but it has resulted in me skipping some shows: acts with one album playing a venue larger than the Fonda and a ticket price that's over $25. In short, too many to list, really.
Nausea: Irreversible, Enter the Void
Tattoo: Radiohead bear
Angry: I don't listen to anything

SoulDischarge
05-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Finally thought of something for that anger question.

o5cFIqu2MgM

SoulDischarge
05-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Last week's question. Will probably revisit a bunch we missed.

I was rereading the Sandman book The Kindly Ones, and Neil Gaiman discusses at the end how the book raises answerable questions that will remain unanswered, because, to paraphrase, it is the mystery that lingers, not the explanation. What pop-culture mystery have you spent the most time wondering about, or been the most curious about? What is your pet theory, if you have one? And if you could have the creator give you the definitive answer, would you want it? My personal example is one Gaiman himself raises, namely, who were Loki and Puck working for in The Kindly Ones when they kidnapped Daniel? Try as I might, I have no pet theory about that, and yes, I would love a detailed answer, mystery be damned. —Mike

SoulDischarge
05-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Like most of these, I'd have to thing a lot more about it. But the video for Radiohead's "Just" is a fun one.

cutterbutter
05-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Band I like and would never pay to see live: Simon and Garfunkel. Their voices could never live up to my expectations and love for their music. And The Who, who are a top 5 favorite band of all time for me but its not the same with just the two of them and hired guns, even though Starkey is a beast.

Pop culture tattoo: I've toyed with getting Leeloo's tattoo from The Fifth Element for some time. Besides it being one of my favorite movies and a cool reference, there are a few personal reasons especially remembering watching it with my Dad loads. And I generally like what it stands for.
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2008/10/5thelement.jpg
Or the Sigur Ros ( ) but I dont think those fat curvy album cover ones look good anywhere on me. But a pair of parenthesis on a wrist would be cool i think.

Movie that makes me sick: Requiem for A Dream. One of the most powerful movie experiences Ive ever had, but I will never revisit it. O and schindler's lists. I know more then 1 girl who likes putting it on so she can ball her eyes out. Theraputic for them I guess... I felt bad for being related to other humans after watching it. Masterfully constructed though.

Music when I'm angry: I guess if I want to get the anger out I'll put on any general punk and go on a run. But if I need to relax because something is bother me I just put on Sigur Ros or acoustic folk stuff I enjoy and float away.

Pop culture mystery: I really like how they did the whole "sudden black screen" for the series finale of The Sopranos but I'd sure like to know what happens. If Tony gets mowed down or anything crazed. Or just a general continuation of those characters but it certainly had run its amazing course when it bowed out.

Hannahrain
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Last week's question. Will probably revisit a bunch we missed.

I was rereading the Sandman book The Kindly Ones, and Neil Gaiman discusses at the end how the book raises answerable questions that will remain unanswered, because, to paraphrase, it is the mystery that lingers, not the explanation. What pop-culture mystery have you spent the most time wondering about, or been the most curious about? What is your pet theory, if you have one? And if you could have the creator give you the definitive answer, would you want it? My personal example is one Gaiman himself raises, namely, who were Loki and Puck working for in The Kindly Ones when they kidnapped Daniel? Try as I might, I have no pet theory about that, and yes, I would love a detailed answer, mystery be damned. —Mike

I want to know what happened to the Mary Celeste. I need closure.

Miroir Noir
05-17-2012, 08:08 AM
The pop culture mystery I've spent the most time on is Mulholland Dr., and by that, I basically mean the whole thing.

bmack86
05-17-2012, 08:15 AM
I want three definitive answers, all from Infinite Jest:

1) What exactly happened to Hal? Is it the drug? Is it delayed psychosis? Is he having a mental breakdown? Did he see the Jest?

2) What exactly is Joelle's physical deformity? Is it what she says, or is it P.G.O.A.T.-ism?

3) What the hell is the Infinite Jest (film)?

And I know if I were to have been able to ask DFW about it, he wouldn't have told me. But it might have turned into a fun conversation.

Alchemy
05-17-2012, 08:17 AM
All I want to know is this: Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

zircona1
05-17-2012, 08:18 AM
In Pulp Fiction, what's in the briefcase?

SoulDischarge
05-19-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.avclub.com/articles/happiest-sad-songs,75311/

Our own Claire Zulkey asks: I was listening to ABBA’s “Super Trouper” the other day and thinking about how in spite of the happy, xylophone-laden tune, the lyrics reveal a song about loneliness (“I was sick and tired of everything when I called you last night from Glasgow / All I do is eat and sleep and sing / Wishin’ every show was the last show”). John Lennon was also great at writing pleasant-sounding songs that revealed depressive, even violent lyrics: “Help,” “I’m A Loser,” “I’ll Cry Instead,” “Run For Your Life.” In some ways, I prefer the complexity of a cheerful-sounding unhappy song to the mopiness of a sad ballad. What are some of your favorite uptempo songs with dark lyrics?

The first thing that comes to mind is "Blessed State" by Wire, which is somewhere at the top of my favorites by them. It's bouncy, poppy and light as air, but the lyrics are barely contained sarcastic seething rage given just enough ambiguity to make it sound like it could be some dippy optimistic love letter to humanity until you get to lines like "Loved in the flesh, but butchered in the mind." It's somewhat similar to the slightly less deceptively bitter Devo hit "Beautiful World," a song I always found hilarious for ending up in a fucking Target ad, taken at face value of course.

_XBz4nq31Yw

56u6g0POvo0

ods..
05-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Prince - "Sister" came to mind immediately. Such a weird song, but so catchy and good. (not available on youtube, but I found a link for grooveshark) http://grooveshark.com/s/Sister/32qJBv?src=5

I was only 16 but I guess that's no excuse
My sister was 32, lovely, and loose
She don't wear no underwear
She says it only gets in her hair
And it's got a funny way of stoppin' the juice
My sister never made love to anyone else but me
She's the reason for my, uh, sexuality
She showed me where it's supposed to go
A blow job doesn't mean blow
Incest is everything it's said to be
Oh, sister
Don't put me on the street again