PDA

View Full Version : First time car camper..what is enough open space in the spot?

KORNfed
03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
SSSSOOOOOOOOO!!!! I am hoping to get some expert car campers to answer my question. So the spot is 10'x30'. My tent would take up 10'x16' and my car would take up 6'x14'. Is 4'x14' a good enough open space? If it's not recommended, I would take my smaller tent, but I just want to walk around in my large tent for some privacy once in a while, ya know. I also measured the space and it's quite small, but I figure not everyone stays at the spot all the time. I'm so confused.

hools
03-16-2012, 01:14 PM
i would prefer going with a small tent and have a nice canopy/shade setup. tents trap in so much heat during the day, you couldn't really 'chill' in them

s0nn3
03-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Ditch the tent if at all possible... if you must have a tent, go as small as possible. You won't be in it for the majority of the time. Canopies are the way to go IMO. When its time to sleep, I just throw down a moving blanket and a sleeping bag on top of that. In the morning roll it up, throw it in the back of my truck and open a beer. If its privacy you want, hang tarps or sheets from the sides of the canopy, BOOM large tent. Protip - Fold the moving blanket in half and drape it over ice chests to block them from sun and further insulate them.

Goatchella
03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I like that last bit.

Mugwog
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Get a $20 easy up, some weights for the poles and tapestries. Tapestries are your friend! They breathe easily, you can also go crazy and test your camp ground setup in a 10x30 space

Vic Viper
03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
you need a smaller tent, 10 x 16 for one person is insane. you will not be "walking around in your tent for some privacy" for any period of time if the sun is out. your tent will be measurably warmer and less comfortable than standing in direct sunlight.

KORNfed
03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Thank you guys!! You guys made it sound a lot better with what I should do. I will take my small tent and ezup. I just wanted to hear some opinions and they were great!!