PDA

View Full Version : Cell Charge

stacymm5
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Second timer here, but first time camper. So I thought I'd ask what the best way to charge my phone for the weekend would be. I have one of those little USB adapters that hook in to the cigarette lighter, but with three people and one car I don't want to drain the battery. Or is that even possible? What would some veterans recommend?

Thanks for the help!

flowbee
03-15-2012, 08:15 PM
This is pretty cool, and cheap, and you will get premium quality sun power at Coachella

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/d0bc/?cpg=froogle

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/d0bc_pico_solar_charger.jpg

bemerritt
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Extra battery. There are also quite a few charging stations.

omerta
03-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Last year, there was a tent with lots of power sockets somewhere between gobi-mojave-sahara.

scenicworld
03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Turn off your phones at night and when you and your group are all together (or if you don't think you'll be needing it for an hour or more) to conserve the battery. Get a battery pack or a solar charger to charge while you're at camp and use your car battery only to charge the battery pack. If worse comes to worst, use your car to charge them but start your car occasionally (as long as your exhaust isn't into someone's tent or sitting area).

DirtyPistol
03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Last year was my first camping. We didn't use the car for any AC, tunes, etc. so it was zero problem charging phones with car charger adapters. It also charges phones without having to start anything up. Guess you just have to be sure you have a decent car battery. For some reason going and waiting by one of those charging stations sounds super boring to me when I can be having fun at the campsite or roaming around?

loopy
03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Also the charging tents, while convenient, take a really long time due to everyone charging. Most are comfortable with leaving their phones there but some aren't, and if you're not, then you'll have to sit there a good 2-3 hours to get a decent charge on it. I got lucky last year and sat in the arcade for a little bit with my charger before getting kicked out.

Pea
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Clearance rack at K-Mart. 8 bucks. Bam.

http://static.norwichcamping.co.uk.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/product-images/c/h/charger.jpg

hools
03-18-2012, 11:38 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a7JcjkA6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-PPS3US0001-Powerhouse-Universal-Mini-USB/dp/B00586WOG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332095784&sr=8-1

i don't know just how powerful these are but it'll definitely have you set for the weekend on your own phone.

billtino
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
turn off wifi and satellite tracker when not needed to extend battery life too. helps my pos droidx.

TomAz
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.tnetnoc.com/hotelimages/146/9146/2631759-Embassy-Suites-Palm-Desert-Suite-14.jpg

amyzzz
03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Make sure to disable alerts if you play any games like Word with Friends.

sonofhal
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Watch the bands and stop playing with your phone. It'll last all weekend.

baily
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
just put the damn thing on airplane mode until you need it....it's not like you need every f'n tweet and text that's going on.

you should be able to go all weekend if you leave it on airplane mode then turn off airplane mode for calls and texts...unless you're one of those facebook retards who needs the world to know you are taking a shit, going to a concert, eating lunch and butt fucking your buddy with aidz.

KickerConspiracy
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I have the mophie and it works great. Admittedly, it's more for heavy use during the day. It might not last three days.

GuyInTucson
03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Tom wins.

soursour
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
just put the damn thing on airplane mode until you need it....it's not like you need every f'n tweet and text that's going on.

you should be able to go all weekend if you leave it on airplane mode then turn off airplane mode for calls and texts...unless you're one of those facebook retards who needs the world to know you are taking a shit, going to a concert, eating lunch and butt fucking your buddy with aidz.

Why even bring a phone if you're just going to basically disable it all weekend so no one can get ahold of you?

SepaGroove
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.tnetnoc.com/hotelimages/146/9146/2631759-Embassy-Suites-Palm-Desert-Suite-14.jpg

This is where I'll be charging my phone, sleeping comfortably, and getting a good breakfast everyday while I recharge.

DirtyPistol
03-20-2012, 05:19 PM
This is where I'll be charging my phone, sleeping comfortably, and getting a good breakfast everyday while I recharge.

Eh, I'd easily rather stay in the campground. This will be my 6th Coachella and I've stayed in super nice houses, hotels, and last year camped for the first time. Hands down camping was the best time I've had. You are already at possibly the best musical festival in the world surrounded by fun like minded people, why leave?

I loved being able to chill out, cook up some tasty food, listen to music and have some drinks before and after the actual festival everyday. The campground is a ridiculously good time with the afterpartying at your own camp, the roller rink, or anywhere else you can make new friends. I also got sick of having to travel to and from accommodations everyday, it can be a complete pain in the ass. I can see it both ways but sorry, I'll leave the rest of the year to stay at a hotel and relax.

Goatchella
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm going to melt the campgrounds

SepaGroove
03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Eh, I'd easily rather stay in the campground. This will be my 6th Coachella and I've stayed in super nice houses, hotels, and last year camped for the first time. Hands down camping was the best time I've had. You are already at possibly the best musical festival in the world surrounded by fun like minded people, why leave?

I loved being able to chill out, cook up some tasty food, listen to music and have some drinks before and after the actual festival everyday. The campground is a ridiculously good time with the afterpartying at your own camp, the roller rink, or anywhere else you can make new friends. I also got sick of having to travel to and from accommodations everyday, it can be a complete pain in the ass. I can see it both ways but sorry, I'll leave the rest of the year to stay at a hotel and relax.

I would prefer to camp as well, but I have the girlfriend and her friend with me this year. We'll be spending most of our time before and after the festival at the campgrounds, since I have about 20 friends that are camping. But we'll be taking a taxi back to our hotel every night around 3 a.m. and getting a great nights sleep, and the next day I'll be listening to my friends talk about how hung over and tired they are.

:)

brycerosen
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Watch the bands and stop playing with your phone. It'll last all weekend.

agreed, cell phones barely work at coachella anyways, i find it hillarious hearing people yell "Were in the sahara!!!!! in the middle !!!!! the middle!!!!"

just wear a cheap digital watch for set times and if you want to meet up be diligent, other that that leave your phone at the campsite off unless you need it

eimie
04-10-2012, 03:30 AM
My friend actually witnessed a guy stealing a phone from the charging station last year, so I wouldn't recommend leaving your phone unattended, especially if it's a smart phone.

nessahhh
04-12-2012, 02:39 AM
So I hear there are inputs in the free shower areas (from another thread), truth?

jefferie
04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
So I hear there are inputs in the free shower areas (from another thread), truth?
There was by my showers last year but if you try to charge your phone there security will chase you away even if the showers are closed.

Majour
04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
1. Buy 3 extra cell phone batteries--one for each day--from eBay or Amazon. Usually very cheap, and if you have an iPhone just purchase a third party rechargeable battery pack that attaches to the bottom.

2. When you're sleeping, shut it down completely. The sun and camp noise will be your alarm clock.

3. Bring your cell into the venue, plus an extra battery to throw in if you need to. Calling friends and taking photos/vids might deplete your cell when you want to use it most later in the night.

4. All other times close out the background apps, turn down the brightness and switch on Airplane Mode.

I did this and never had to worry about re-charge stations. If you're camping with a group, the portable battery (mentioned above) is the way to go. Usually under $70 and it'll come out of the box 80% charged. Make sure you plug it in for a few hrs at home b4 coming to Coachella and you should be set to charge phones for several people the entire weekend.

They typically include two outlets in the back of the unit, and some even have air compressors for flat tires and cables to jump start your car post-coachella (saw a lot of people in need of this)

core787
04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I got this thing and it worked great. It charged my girlfriends and my phone up a few times before having to be recharged with an inverted connected to the cigarette lighter. http://www.amazon.com/Incredicharge-I-11000-External-11000mAh-Blackberry/dp/B006YJEBGK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334769821&sr=8-2

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Cellphones shmelphones