PDA

View Full Version : To Anyone Who Doesn't Girl Talk

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Watch this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xxXs6LW30)

Then go slap yourself for being an idiot.

And have fun watching The Frames or The Fratelis or some other shit while I'm rawking my fucking face off.

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
i bet he is using a program like trakkter....THATS WEAK...i could teach anyone of u fucks to play the same set in 15mins...i am not kidding...

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
i bet he is using a program like trakkter....THATS WEAK...i could teach anyone of u fucks to play the same set in 15mins

Funny...I don't see HEADSTRUCK on the lineup.

Let's see your skills, bro.

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 10:04 PM
hey bro u wanna download some of my shit.....go to
www.betterbreakbeatbureau.com

Mr.Nipples
03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
hey bro u wanna download some of my shit.....go to
www.betterbreakbeatbureau.com

weak

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
i am telling that program that he is using matches beats and measures for u....all he is doing is clicking...i have props for people that r doing something EVEN if i dont like their music but i got nothing for someone that just clicks a mouse....unless they are using a program like ableton live or reason....

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
weak

did u download any of my stuff and listen?
didnt think so

fober
03-21-2007, 10:26 PM
I wish I could get paid to dance around my laptop.

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I wish I could get paid to dance around my laptop.

thank u

Benis23
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
girl talk blows. everybody knows it

cloud9
03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
i wily be twathing headtruk while eve byody watching girls talk haha am just kidign cuz i sdont even ahbet a tirkcet ye t but stil that wyh i am tryin to seay i would still wath headtruck hehe :dumbo

J~$$$
03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Thats was pathetic.....the best part was the flashdancer dancing on the side of the stage. 1984 IS LONG FUCKFACE!!!!

OMG CLOUD9!!!

jackstraw94086
03-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Girl Talk needs to jump around and act like a goofball to get people excited enough to forget he's just a mashup artist. Z-Trip does the same schtick, but he doesn't jump around because he's too busy trying to manipulate the music himself.

HEADSTRUCK,
your track's not bad, but IMO you need to shave a bit of low end off your kick (unless it's the mp3 encoding fucking it up). The kick should should hit you in the chest, bassline in the gut. That DJ Thrasher track under yours is a great example. The kick is a little crisper and the bassline is well below it where it should be. Have you played that on a big system? It would seem to me that the drums would overpower all else. Some 16th notes here and there wouldn't hurt either. It's good though.

Mr.Nipples
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
didnt think so

yes i did...opinion already stated.

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
HEADSTRUCK,
your track's not bad, but IMO you need to shave a bit of low end off your kick (unless it's the mp3 encoding fucking it up). The kick should should hit you in the chest, bassline in the gut. That DJ Thrasher track under yours is a great example. The kick is a little crisper and the bassline is well below it where it should be. Have you played that on a big system? It would seem to me that the drums would overpower all else. Some 16th notes here and there wouldn't hurt either. It's good though.

i dont know if its the mp3 or not cause i cant listen to it since the comp i am on has no speakers but thanks for the input. i have played on some pretty big systems (nothing like what coachella woould be). the biggest show i have ever done is about 5k. adjustments are made to what i am playing on so it all depends but the mastering job on that is a little on the heavy end due to where it was done. thats awhole another story though. thanks though bro, i wasnt trying to say i should be playing instead of girl talk just paointing out the fact he is just clicking a mouse.

DeltaSigChi4
03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Girl Talk is undoubtedly the biggest pile of manure that will be at Coachella.

Jack's Mannequin has nothing on him.

E

DeltaSigChi4
03-21-2007, 11:50 PM
weak

yes i did...opinion already stated.

Do you have a link to your work, you dickless mamabicho?

E

Mr.Nipples
03-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Do you have a link to your work, you dickless mamabicho?

E

no...i dont put my music on the internet...scalper.

BlueDevil50
03-22-2007, 12:35 AM
i dont understand all that hate for girltalk...its FUN music. he's turning the shit on the radio into something people can dance to and have fun. everyone that hates on him probably listens to SOME kind of "shit". if you hate him so much, just dont go. so much bitchin on these boards!

ThunderInTheSky
03-22-2007, 04:54 AM
didnt think so

I know a few thousand people in Austin who would disagree, he had everyone dancin at SxSw. Listen to Night Ripper that album jams!

ThunderInTheSky
03-22-2007, 04:55 AM
[QUOTE=DeltaSigChi4;110613]Do you have a link to your work, you dickless mamabicho?

E[/QUOTE

Your oppinion shouldnt matter here you scalper

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I know a few thousand people in Austin who would disagree, he had everyone dancin at SxSw. Listen to Night Ripper that album jams!

its not the fact that its not good or that u cant dance to it. its the ft thats hes a jukebox and coachella should not pay $$$ for that

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-22-2007, 07:21 AM
didnt think so

I did, actually. Seems like "The Next Logical Step" for you should be to quit spending so much time pimping your shitty website on message boards and spend more time practicing, because that shit is W.E.A.K.

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I did, actually. Seems like "The Next Logical Step" for you should be to quit spending so much time pimping your shitty website on message boards and spend more time practicing, because that shit is W.E.A.K.

haha..for one its not MY website for 2 the only time i spent "pimping" my website was to u when u asked....just cause i dont "play" cause thats what girl talk does push play some ghetto funk dont ,ean shit to me bro. i take what u say as meaningless due to the fact that u like girl talk....nuff said

yolowo
03-22-2007, 08:07 AM
all Daft Punk did was click a mouse. all their songs are based on samples. it was still fun/great, wasn't it?

girl talk makes music on a computer with samples. thats how he performs it live. this isn't 1995. there's no point in debating whether it's valid as a performance or not.

hangthedj112
03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Girl Talk is undoubtedly the biggest pile of manure that will be at Coachella.

Jack's Mannequin has nothing on him.

E

Not true, you're attending Coachella.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-22-2007, 09:05 AM
show me a video of a girl talk show and i will show you a lot of white indie rock fans dancing around a laptop to poorly phrased mashups

Mr.Nipples
03-22-2007, 09:14 AM
go get a computer with garage band, find a drum loop, find some vocals and layer them over eachother. if you have a basic sense of rhythm it really isnt that hard to do what girl talk is doing.

ToddThaGod
03-22-2007, 09:34 AM
i lost respect for girl-talk now after seeing that

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
show me a video of a girl talk show and i will show you a lot of white indie rock fans dancing around a laptop to poorly phrased mashups

Why with the stereotypical generalizations? In the same vein, I could say show me a trick daddy concert and I'll show you a bunch of black gangbangers nodding their heads to CrapRap.

If you don't like Girl Talk (or any music for that matter), just say so- no need to bring out the race card. If you have a problem with "white indie rock fans" you're probably going to the worng concert.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-22-2007, 09:48 AM
white is a state of mind

omg wtf bbq
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
i do like him but it seems he plays the same setlist everywhere he goes...

disgustipated
03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Talentless...but if people want to spend their money watching this jerk-offf jump around, so be it...

www.yhbtm.com

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
i do like him but it seems he plays the same setlist everywhere he goes...

everything about him is lazy right down to the sweatpants he's been wearing (seriously, who the fuck wears sweatpant on stage? That's not "indie", it's just ugly. Put on some fucking clothes before going on stage. He was wearing the same shit in the Be The Riot footage). I he were truly a mashup virtuoso (for whatever that would be worth anyway) he'd mix it up a bit more.

You can fairly easily rig up a juggle template an any midi controller and create a more interesting performance than his, but he doesn't. All he does is glance at his laptop screen every few minutes and apparently just fires the next clip (if he's even doing that). I don't think it's a mystery how everyone with a single ounce of recognition of what it takes to make that music hates him. His album took a bit of effort to create, but he gives live EDM performers a bad name. He's the embodiment of all the idiots EDM detractors' complaints.

All the idiots who defend Girl Talk can't seem to understand the difference between fun music and integrity. Nobody's saying his music (read: others' music) isn't catchy. Sure, it may be fun to dance to for indie kids who have never heard decent hip hop before, but if you closed your eyes you could replace him with itunes and hardly know the difference. So nobody's saying you can't enjoy yourself at Girl Talk's how. Just quit going on like he's so talented or that he's such an original act.

matsuolost
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
serioulsy shut up dude
do you see him claiming to be an EDM performer?
right you don't
that's because he isn't. he's just like a party performer
tiesto and paul van dyk should do just fine with you huh

fober
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
There's a thin line nowadays between sampling other's music in order to make your own and mash-ups.

Girl Talk would need his passport and 3 visas to get anywhere near the former side of the line.

Note: I am not saying there is no talent required. You have to understand and be capable of the fundamentals of dj-ing. Throw in some creativity and there you go. It's just too gimicky to work on an album.

As far as the live shows go, you know where else you see people dancing around a guy with laptop mixing other people's music? EVERY CLUB IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE OF ALL TIME FOREVER

ediger
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
serioulsy shut up dude
right you don't

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/r0s3y/th_vagisil.jpg

omg wtf bbq
03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
everything about him is lazy right down to the sweatpants he's been wearing (seriously, who the fuck wears sweatpant on stage? That's not "indie", it's just ugly. Put on some fucking clothes before going on stage. He was wearing the same shit in the Be The Riot footage). I he were truly a mashup virtuoso (for whatever that would be worth anyway) he'd mix it up a bit more.

You can fairly easily rig up a juggle template an any midi controller and create a more interesting performance than his, but he doesn't. All he does is glance at his laptop screen every few minutes and apparently just fires the next clip (if he's even doing that). I don't think it's a mystery how everyone with a single ounce of recognition of what it takes to make that music hates him. His album took a bit of effort to create, but he gives live EDM performers a bad name. He's the embodiment of all the idiots EDM detractors' complaints.

All the idiots who defend Girl Talk can't seem to understand the difference between fun music and integrity. Nobody's saying his music (read: others' music) isn't catchy. Sure, it may be fun to dance to for indie kids who have never heard decent hip hop before, but if you closed your eyes you could replace him with itunes and hardly know the difference. So nobody's saying you can't enjoy yourself at Girl Talk's how. Just quit going on like he's so talented or that he's such an original act.

$$$$$

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
serioulsy shut up dude
right you don't

seriously, fuck off your damn self.
he absolutely IS an EDM performer. Have you ever even heard his first album? Did you even know he had one? It's a damn IDM album, and not a very good one. The guy never had enough time to become a great IDM producer/performer, and while he was paying the bills it looks he started dicking around with more pure mashups and people liked them. He made an album of them and it caught fire. Now a bunch of indie kids who don't know jack shit (i.e. ones who show their ignorance as to what an EDM performer is). You don't have to be a trance artist to perform EDM. He's mashing up audio clips with some sort of sequencer program. You can get offended and think anyone know knows what he's doing is just being pretentious, but it doesn't make Girl Talk any more talented or relevant. Reverse pretense is an ugly indie snob trick.

Go listen to your mediocre shit and we'll just laugh at you to ourselves. You don't have to complain so much.

and btw i can't fucking stand tiesto and PVD, and almost any trance in general. EDM is about more than a couple genres

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
As far as the live shows go, you know where else you see people dancing around a guy with laptop mixing other people's music? EVERY CLUB IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE OF ALL TIME FOREVER

bingo. I saw a some dude in an irish bar last saturday play a few fatboy slim and daft punk tunes and the bar was going nuts. The people in the crowd couldn't care less. They wouldn't have known if Girl Talk had cut in and started performing. I'm not faulting the douche at the bar for not having talent. He was doing exactly what was required of him, but he doesn't deserve to be fellated by a million indie kids either.

matsuolost
03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
ok fine

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Capital. good day to you, sir.

summerkid
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
jkyhqE_VOEE

how about we watch this instead? Its better. if you dont want to watch the whole thing than start it at the 3:30 mark or so.

full on idle
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Jackstraw94086 is hurting my feelings in this thread.

Also, that dj was a douche in that douchey douche bus pass stealing bar.

J~$$$
03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Tee-hee it sounds like a bully bar. HEYYYYY!!! THATS MY BUS PASS!!!

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
jkyhqE_VOEE

how about we watch this instead? Its better. if you dont want to watch the whole thing than start it at the 3:30 mark or so.

A Justice show would be infinitely more fun than Girl Talk, even though i'm not really into their stuff so much. It's always kind of deflating to watch a DJ perform on the internet instead of hearing one in the club, but that's generally what it looks like when the DJ's concentrating on what he's doing and not just firing a wired up audio clip and jumping around like a jackass.
His mixing was almost perfect (except when he forgot turn off his cue channel at just over one minute left). I'll bet the crowd couldn't give a shit or even know whether the DJ's were jumping around.

AEversW
03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
girl talk is the worst thing possibly ever.

yolowo
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
i never understand why people love to say "i hate ___ band, they're talentless, anyone could do that." you can have all of the talent and the world and make shitty music. you can also have no traditional talent and rock shit

regardless, i think girl talk has talent. listen to night ripper, tell me any other album that comes close to that in sample-based music. maybe some early things come on that level, the lessons by steinski or john oswald material. but other than that, night ripper is in it's own world

when girl talk performs live, he does music in the style of night ripper. if you're not into, that's cool, don't attend. but if you like that style of music, cool, get down with it. yes, he just uses a laptop. yes, he triggers samples on the fly. what more do you want? he makes music live just like what he releases. like every band.

just the fact that people are so love/hate about him is the best sign that he's actually doing something worthwhile.

i cant stand people who act like he somehow slipped on coachella, that he's doing something anyone can do but he got lucky. guess what, no one else did it. he did. you're all posting on the internet, and he's busy blowing the fuck up. his album is on the top album of the year lists from rolling stone, pitchfork, spin, blender, everywhere. wayne from the flaming lips nominated him for a shortlist award. he was the topic in a hearing on internet/music law on congress last month for crying out loud. do you think he just brainwashed everyone? i'm fine with people saying "i don't like ____," that's my preference. but i can't stand people saying "____ is bad, ____ is talentless, i can do what ______ did."

damn, quit hating, it's so annoying. guess what, you're on a message board, talking shit, you made it

woogie846
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
This thread is dying a very slow and painful death.

joebizz
03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Watch this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xxXs6LW30)

Then go slap yourself for being an idiot.

And have fun watching The Frames or The Fratelis or some other shit while I'm rawking my fucking face off.

Who the hell is this tool? Never heard of him, and I will never listen to it again. Mash up SUCKS! Especially when when done on a laptop. What ever happened to REAL D.J.'S? Oh yeah, D.J. Heather will be there.

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
A Justice show would be infinitely more fun than Girl Talk, even though i'm not really into their stuff so much. It's always kind of deflating to watch a DJ perform on the internet instead of hearing one in the club, but that's generally what it looks like when the DJ's concentrating on what he's doing and not just firing a wired up audio clip and jumping around like a jackass.
His mixing was almost perfect (except when he forgot turn off his cue channel at just over one minute left). I'll bet the crowd couldn't give a shit or even know whether the DJ's were jumping around.

nevermind...its not worth my time

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
i never understand why people love to say "i hate ___ band, they're talentless, anyone could do that." you can have all of the talent and the world and make shitty music. you can also have no traditional talent and rock shit

regardless, i think girl talk has talent. listen to night ripper, tell me any other album that comes close to that in sample-based music. maybe some early things come on that level, the lessons by steinski or john oswald material. but other than that, night ripper is in it's own world

when girl talk performs live, he does music in the style of night ripper. if you're not into, that's cool, don't attend. but if you like that style of music, cool, get down with it. yes, he just uses a laptop. yes, he triggers samples on the fly. what more do you want? he makes music live just like what he releases. like every band.

just the fact that people are so love/hate about him is the best sign that he's actually doing something worthwhile.

i cant stand people who act like he somehow slipped on coachella, that he's doing something anyone can do but he got lucky. guess what, no one else did it. he did. you're all posting on the internet, and he's busy blowing the fuck up. his album is on the top album of the year lists from rolling stone, pitchfork, spin, blender, everywhere. wayne from the flaming lips nominated him for a shortlist award. he was the topic in a hearing on internet/music law on congress last month for crying out loud. do you think he just brainwashed everyone? i'm fine with people saying "i don't like ____," that's my preference. but i can't stand people saying "____ is bad, ____ is talentless, i can do what ______ did."

damn, quit hating, it's so annoying. guess what, you're on a message board, talking shit, you made it

thanks for that, but being a pseudo-pretentious crabsnatch is completely unecessary.
This isn't just complete ingorance or indie grandstanding. This isn't a rash judgement in an effort to sound cool just for not liking what everyone else likes (like say, bashing the Strokes or something)

There are hundred of people that do what Girl Talk does, some in every town no doubt. The bootleg culture is not new. There are bootleg sites around the world where patrons post their wares and amuse each other, it was actually more popular about 5 years ago, and the reason it's waned is that it's kinda lame. I've heard countless bootlegs more amusing than his. Girl Talk is cutting and pasting other people's music together, and apparently not even elaborating on it that much when doing it "live". If he hadn't released an IDM album before Night Ripper I might even doubt he knows what a midi clip is.

Don't tell me to listen to Night Ripper, as if I'll somehow absorb your wisdom. I owned it almost almost a year before the coachella lineup was announced, when he offered it as a download because the CD pressing was delayed.

If you understood the difference between what he does and what a traditional producer does (i.e. crafting your own musical ideas from scratch instead of putting the mashing the crap like nelly vs the theme from The OC) I'd almost guarantee you'd have a different opinion of his stature and hype.

Nobody's saying Girl Talk's music isn't amusing. We're just saying that paying to see this guy perform is completely ridiculous. You're not hearing anything new. This shit is not that hard. the difference between him and the hordes of other bootleggers is that he had the balls to put out a whole album and appeal to a fan base who hadn't heard this kind of crap before.
I really wish you had some perspective on this.

I don't hate on laptop performers. I've seen some of the most amazing sets i've ever heard performed on laptops, and I know how it can be done improvisationally (and just plain better). When you're performing on a laptop and you don't have to worry about any turntable mechanics the bar is raised. the laptop is doing a lot of work for you, you're expected to take it to the next level. Girl Talk may as well just plug in his ipod. None of you would know the difference.

He did slip into coachella on hype. periodicals like Pitchfork, Spin, etc. are creaming over this guy because
A) they're too busy fellating themselves
B) they completely missed the bootleg craze years ago
C) They're smart enough to know that you people will cream over it and they feel the need to be at the forefront of the fad.

It's not a mystery. Please smack yourself for quoting pitchfork and spin for being good judges of quality.

And you're right. this is a message board. Talking shit is what it's for. You saying "oooh look at you, you're on a message board, you made it" makes you look incredibly stupid. none of us (well, most of us) are not saying we belong at coachella either. Give it up. Talk shit if you want to. Talking shit about people talking shit just for talking shit is beyond retarded(and yes I catch the irony of that sentence).

You're clueless

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 04:44 PM
nevermind...its not worth my time

what's not worth your time? Just mention whether or not you were going to bash justice

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
i was.....i am sorry....haha. i wasnt going to really bash him....i would check out justice though not girl talk but.........as a dj/producer/rave and club promoter i guess i just have a high standard set compared to the average electronic EDM fan. i have just givin up on trying to educate people here. the reason coachella books people like teisto and pvd or paul okenJOKE is because they draw a crowd not because they r talented. i have thrown 3 day "rave" partys that have only about 5k peeps that come with more talent then any edm acts here...besides RICHIE of course

jenni4
03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
I'll be at his show!! This looks awesome.

Mr.Nipples
03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
I'll be at his show!! This looks awesome.

see what you people did...

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 05:15 PM
see what you people did...

hahaha.....i was thinking the same thing

Alchemy
03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I compose music myself, and I work with some computer programs and electronic equipment.

It's true that what Girl Talk does is not very impressive, but I like listening to Girl Talk. To me, his set isn't a time to watch an artist. It's a time to have fun and dance, and that is all there is to Girl Talk.

It's just a fun place to be.

summerkid
03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
i was.....i am sorry....haha. i wasnt going to really bash him....i would check out justice though not girl talk but.........as a dj/producer/rave and club promoter i guess i just have a high standard set compared to the average electronic EDM fan. i have just givin up on trying to educate people here. the reason coachella books people like teisto and pvd or paul okenJOKE is because they draw a crowd not because they r talented. i have thrown 3 day "rave" partys that have only about 5k peeps that come with more talent then any edm acts here...besides RICHIE of course

what? do you not like electro or something?

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
what? do you not like electro or something?

it has nothing to do with elctro...i do like it...i play electro breaks and electro house......justice is fine...

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I compose music myself, and I work with some computer programs and electronic equipment.

It's true that what Girl Talk does is not very impressive, but I like listening to Girl Talk. To me, his set isn't a time to watch an artist. It's a time to have fun and dance, and that is all there is to Girl Talk.

THIS WAS MY POINT FROM POST 1

THANK YOU

joebizz
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
What happened to the turntable? When I was coming up in the scene(96) the D.J. was what made a party. When C.D. format came about, there was a virtual riot (no pun intended) because we all were schooled on vinyl being the end all, be all. In my opinion it still is. But, eventually it became mainstream. Last time I saw Farina, even he was spinning C.D.'s Which was fine with me, because he has proven himself over the years to be a master of vinyl. But all these up and coming D.J.'s I see are all about C.D.'s. They have NO training of the art of manipulating a vinyl record. Just count the BPM's add 'em up, press play. Any lame off the street is all of a sudden a "D.J.". It is an insult to us who have dedicated countless hours, and thousands of dollars on our collection. All my favorite record stores have closed because of this. Okay, sure, it's just another format, another tool to use.Fine. But no one seems to remember the good 'ol days of hunting the record store to get the hottest new track. They can just download it, burn it, and it will be at their local club that night.
Which brings me to Girl Talk.
Not only does this guy not even spin record nor C.D.'s, he is playing on a laptop? With a mouse? You have got to be kidding me. It's one thing to play your self produced music on a lapper. I've seen some great shows by artists who have produced their own music, and performed it on a lappie, but this guy does not even do that! Mash up? Who even gives a damn about mash up anymore? Actually I do know: Stupid young sorority girls who still think a good Michael Jackson remix is "so awesome"!

Patsonhisway
03-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I’ll give most music a go but im afraid I have been turned off electro due to the pathetic, preppy, pill popping pricks that make up its sub culture. I know generalising on any level isn’t a good thing but I have been to a handful of recent electro gigs and the crowds seem to be mostly full of private school kids who have no room for non edm. They just want a beat to complement their drugs and have limited themselves to listening to that genre alone. They will most likely end up changing their tastes to suit the mainstream trends.

Listening only to this type of music is like having the world’s libraries at your fingertips and only “reading” the picture books.

Having said that im going to Coachella to enjoy a diverse range and I guess that could include some cheesy mash ups as well as overplayed ed“m”.

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
this just keeps going and going....

Patsonhisway
03-22-2007, 07:25 PM
yeh well there were a fair few unwanted oppinions allready. I thought 1 more cant hurt.

DeltaSigChi4
03-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Girl Talk is a terrorist.

He terrorizes those that prefer good music over whatever the hell it is that comes out of his Dell notebook when he presses once on the keyboard.

E

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 08:11 PM

I dj and produce(a little) myself in SF, I've played at the same shows acts like Icey, Stantons, Freestylers, Freq, etc., and and I've seen local acts blow them all away. I know where the bar is supposed to be. I'm not claiming by any means that Justice is the greatest shit out there, just that in comparison to Girl Talk they're at least legit and represent a lot more of what an electronic act is supposed to be, especially because they're playing much of their own music.

We all know why tiesto and pvd gets booked. It's much the same with any genre. You're not going to teach anyone anything useful. They like what they like.

full on idle
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
The new El-P is DOPE.

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 08:23 PM
What happened to the turntable? When I was coming up in the scene(96) the D.J. was what made a party. When C.D. format came about, there was a virtual riot (no pun intended) because we all were schooled on vinyl being the end all, be all. In my opinion it still is. But, eventually it became mainstream. Last time I saw Farina, even he was spinning C.D.'s Which was fine with me, because he has proven himself over the years to be a master of vinyl. But all these up and coming D.J.'s I see are all about C.D.'s. They have NO training of the art of manipulating a vinyl record. Just count the BPM's add 'em up, press play. Any lame off the street is all of a sudden a "D.J.". It is an insult to us who have dedicated countless hours, and thousands of dollars on our collection. All my favorite record stores have closed because of this. Okay, sure, it's just another format, another tool to use.Fine. But no one seems to remember the good 'ol days of hunting the record store to get the hottest new track. They can just download it, burn it, and it will be at their local club that night.
Which brings me to Girl Talk.
Not only does this guy not even spin record nor C.D.'s, he is playing on a laptop? With a mouse? You have got to be kidding me. It's one thing to play your self produced music on a lapper. I've seen some great shows by artists who have produced their own music, and performed it on a lappie, but this guy does not even do that! Mash up? Who even gives a damn about mash up anymore? Actually I do know: Stupid young sorority girls who still think a good Michael Jackson remix is "so awesome"!

(not to start a cd/vinyl debate, but... aw fuck it)

dude, even CD's are already becoming obsolete. Format does not define a DJ, it's about what comes out of the mixer. spinning vinyl only because of principle is retarded. vinyl distribution is expensive and it doesn't make sense in today anyway. The big distributors are going under. Technology made EDM a lot easier to make and accelerated the amount of music out there. Puttig it all out on vinyl isn't possible. Being able to easily remix or at least edit a track is a huge deal. In the past people used to be at the mercy of their 5 ton record bag, but now a dj can bring a month's worth of music in his pocket.

I'd agree that it's fucked up for some dj's to abuse the format and pre-pitch their tracks (with the possible exception of dnb acts so they can put together way more technically difficult sets than a vinyl dj could ever pull off) , but so what. A lot of vinyl purists around here tend to be house snobs with noses so high in the air that they can't even see in front of them.
What they don't understand is that the bar is raised when you go to CD. You're supposed to advance the art. On laptops the bar is raised even higher. That's what it's supposed to be about. If the dj's don't take advantage of the capabilities of CDs or laptops then by all means, make fun of them.

oh and btw, your comment about how a CDJ can "Just count the BPM's add 'em up, press play" is ludicrous. Have you ever used one? Half the time they're off by at least a couple BPM and are virtually worthless for beat matching. Maybe for house music they may work a little better but even the best BPM counters are shit for breaks. You still have to have an ear and it takes shitloads of practice to get it right(you may have caught on right away, but you have to remember you already know how to do it). Plus with real-time cue buttons and looping you can do some pretty cool shit.
Basically if you're familiar enough with your tracks in the first place the BPM counter is worthless.

jackstraw94086
03-22-2007, 08:40 PM

Scrubs sucks tonight so i'll weigh in yet again.

I agree with this for the most part, but the only real problem I have with Girl Talk being at coachella is the fact that you all are PAYING for him to be there. Sure you could just go listen to something else, but what if instead of GT they could have gotten someone original and talented to be there? Somebody's missing out.

I know, it's not a huge tragedy, but as long as we're all just talking why not bitch about it?

Here's how I think about it. Say I went to the theater because I heard there was a ton of hype about this new film maker. Then when I got to the theater I was subjected to a bunch of small clips of a bunch of cool movies (and a ton of really bad ones) spliced together, perhaps in creative ways, but still just other people's films. I'd be pissed if I had paid for that.

That's what I think of Girl Talk. A jukebox should only cost a nominal fee and it shouldn't get to keep the money.

rage patton
03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
That was the lamest thing I have ever seen. He is now a must miss.

Mr.Nipples
03-22-2007, 09:49 PM
i say we bottle him...

rage patton
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
i say we bottle him...

Agreed.
Wait... Im not even gonna waste my time.
But throw an extra one for me!

Mr.Nipples
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
im not going...

Askew
03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
my favorite part of that video is the intro that goes
"ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma---ma..."

Alchemy
03-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Scrubs sucks tonight so i'll weigh in yet again.

I agree with this for the most part, but the only real problem I have with Girl Talk being at coachella is the fact that you all are PAYING for him to be there. Sure you could just go listen to something else, but what if instead of GT they could have gotten someone original and talented to be there? Somebody's missing out.

I know, it's not a huge tragedy, but as long as we're all just talking why not bitch about it?

Here's how I think about it. Say I went to the theater because I heard there was a ton of hype about this new film maker. Then when I got to the theater I was subjected to a bunch of small clips of a bunch of cool movies (and a ton of really bad ones) spliced together, perhaps in creative ways, but still just other people's films. I'd be pissed if I had paid for that.

That's what I think of Girl Talk. A jukebox should only cost a nominal fee and it shouldn't get to keep the money.

I can understand that, but I don't mind. In fact, if Girl Talk survives conflicts, I would not mind checking him out. Girl Talk is a filler act, but some of the other acts I've paid for this year and the previous years were a lot more of a rip off than Girl Talk.

I doubt I will even be able to see Girl Talk, though. There are way too many good bands playing on Saturday. Girl Talk would have to open up the day.

yolowo
03-23-2007, 07:01 AM
if you're not into plunderphonics, i can understand not being into girl talk

but if you are, please let me know one other album on the level of "night ripper." or name any dj/producer doing live shows in the style of girl talk. again, if it's not your thing, that's cool, i'm not trying to convince you of anything. but as a fan of remixes/plunderphonics, girl talk has carved his own path. an album that is fun and flows seemlessly between so many genres, cramming in 250+ samples in 40 minutes. layering multiple tracks so quickly, it should sound like a trainwreck, but imo, he pulls it off. and live, he does the same thing. mixing, matching, cutting up, and layering. i know other people do it with turntables, etc. but girl talk honestly has his own style. it owes a bit to classic "mash up" style that was big 5 years ago, like 2 many DJ's, and diplo-style genre-crossing DJing but he's taken it to new terrain. even the guys from negativland, pioneers in this field, have applauded his album.

i'm a fan of laptop music, like venetian snares, kid 606, doormouse, and so on. i like music that is quick moving and editted precisely. that's what girl talk does. he's never claimed to be a true DJ. he's a laptop artist, it's not a new thing.

it's not like paying to seeing a jukebox. it's all based on other peoples' music, but the final product is something of it's own. most people that listen to Night Ripper and Girl Talk don't necessarily listen to the source material on it's own. they like to hear the new, manipulated, recontextualized material.

matsuolost
03-23-2007, 07:04 AM
only dj jester comes to mind

fober
03-23-2007, 07:19 AM
GIMMICKY

menikmati
03-23-2007, 07:33 AM
I would rather go back to my tent and sleep than catch Girl Talk's performance.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 07:40 AM
if you're not into plunderphonics, i can understand not being into girl talk

but if you are, please let me know one other album on the level of "night ripper." or name any dj/producer doing live shows in the style of girl talk. again, if it's not your thing, that's cool, i'm not trying to convince you of anything. but as a fan of remixes/plunderphonics, girl talk has carved his own path. an album that is fun and flows seemlessly between so many genres, cramming in 250+ samples in 40 minutes. layering multiple tracks so quickly, it should sound like a trainwreck, but imo, he pulls it off. and live, he does the same thing. mixing, matching, cutting up, and layering. i know other people do it with turntables, etc. but girl talk honestly has his own style. it owes a bit to classic "mash up" style that was big 5 years ago, like 2 many DJ's, and diplo-style genre-crossing DJing but he's taken it to new terrain. even the guys from negativland, pioneers in this field, have applauded his album.

i'm a fan of laptop music, like venetian snares, kid 606, doormouse, and so on. i like music that is quick moving and editted precisely. that's what girl talk does. he's never claimed to be a true DJ. he's a laptop artist, it's not a new thing.

it's not like paying to seeing a jukebox. it's all based on other peoples' music, but the final product is something of it's own. most people that listen to Night Ripper and Girl Talk don't necessarily listen to the source material on it's own. they like to hear the new, manipulated, recontextualized material.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything either, I'm just cracking up at the use of terms like "new terrain", "pioneers", and "recontextualized". You make it sound like these people are actually being innovative. And please don't ever mention GT and diplo/kid606 in the same post

seemless? wtf? it's the furthest thing I can possibly think of from seemless. The only thing seemless about it is the tempo matching, which the laptop does for him. Stylisticly the samples crash like jumbo jets in mid-air. you're funny.

what are you talking about how it "should sound like a trainwreck", but that he "pulls it off". Do you really think playing a laptop is like flipping records on a laptop and franticly adjusting your pitch? IT'S AUTOMATIC. The computer does that for him, and he's got all those samples wired up anyway. If he's not simply just letting his arrangment play without default then he's not very creative at improvising. I've heard portions of 3 sets now, they all suck. I think he intentionally tries to get himself kicked off stage just to create hype. That's the only way he seems to be able to do it.

And the reason there aren't many examples of big mashup artists like him in the past is that it's a bullshit genre and folks 5 years ago had more humility (and apparently naivety) than to think they could dupe audiences into thinking this was for real. The old sides like boomselection.info before it closed down had tons of shit better than GT. There are crews that are still around that throw better parties than a GT show today. Go here (http://www.bootiesf.com/bestofbootie_2005/)and follow some links to some decent bootleggers (ones with more than a 5 second attention span). There are perhaps not many who can cut and paste as much as GT can, but for fuck's sake why would you want to?

Again, I don't fault GT himself for any of this. He's a genius for being able to sell what he does. Good for him. A year from now people will look back and laugh.

DeltaSigChi4
03-23-2007, 07:45 AM
im not going...

Why do you post here then?

E

DeltaSigChi4
03-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I would rather go back to my tent and sleep than catch Girl Talk's performance.

*co-sign

E

HEADSTRUCK
03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=yolowo;112450]i'm a fan of laptop music, like venetian snares, kid 606, doormouse, and so on. i like music that is quick moving and editted precisely. that's what girl talk does. he's never claimed to be a true DJ. he's a laptop artist, it's not a new thing.
QUOTE]

thats funny u mentioned doormouse...have you ever seen him with josh when they do the "Doormanonymous" sets with josh on a drum set? thats badass, i grew up in the same town ass doormouse.

hangthedj112
03-23-2007, 08:30 AM
http://myspace-744.vo.llnwd.net/00832/44/79/832669744_l.jpg

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=jackstraw94086;112140]...but the only real problem I have with Girl Talk being at coachella is the fact that you all are PAYING for him to be there. Sure you could just go listen to something else...[QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? GT was on the original lineup. What we paid for was the headliners, everything else is just a bonus. I'm paying for him to be there as much as 180,000 other people are and I'll bet he's he's not getting $0.25 from each person Instead of you long-winded contradictory diatribes extolling your incredible music knowledge (which is quite impressive, by the way), how about this:

jackstraw94086:

I don't like Girl Talk. I will pass on that horrible shit. Have fun having fun while I slowly die in the early afternoon sun and jerk off to The Frames. BTW if you have fun at GT, you suck.

Or better yet, sit your pretentious ass on your couch for the weekend and think up some more insightful discourse about how we are all misinformed idiots who wouldn't know good music if it punched us in the face.

Genedefekt
03-23-2007, 08:39 AM
I'll be at Girl Talk's set purely for the spectacle of it all. I wanna see a bunch of white kids dance around like idiots, live. I'm happy to pay for that.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 09:01 AM
WTF are you talking about? GT was on the original lineup. What we paid for was the headliners, everything else is just a bonus. I'm paying for him to be there as much as 180,000 other people are and I'll bet he's he's not getting $0.25 from each person Instead of you long-winded contradictory diatribes extolling your incredible music knowledge (which is quite impressive, by the way), how about this:

jackstraw94086:

I don't like Girl Talk. I will pass on that horrible shit. Have fun having fun while I slowly die in the early afternoon sun and jerk off to The Frames. BTW if you have fun at GT, you suck.

Or better yet, sit your pretentious ass on your couch for the weekend and think up some more insightful discourse about how we are all misinformed idiots who wouldn't know good music if it punched us in the face.

point out what the fuck was contradictory, or better yet, go look up the word contradictory. "What we paid for was the headliners, everything else is just a bonus" has to go down as one of the most moronic things ever said on this board. You think the headliners are the only ones getting paid?
GT just out there for charity.

of course he's not getting a big portion of your ticket price, but he's getting some, genius. there's only so many acts that can show and regardless of whether it's about money or just space he's still in the way of someone with more talent who deserves to be there (not me, not you, not any other piece of shit hack you drool over, but somebody).

i'm not sure if you're a girl talk fan or are just under the delusion that you have something intelligent to say, but try and get this through your thick skull. This is a message board, retard. arguing about music is what it's for.
I'll bet the irony of your ridiculous accusation of pretense is completely lost on
you. I'm not making fun of everyone for being misinformed, just you. While you're doing a goofy arhythmical jig to GT's set i'll be somewhere listening to an artist perform.

Have a nice life. i'll bet it's fun droning through life in a mediocre stupor.

I'll be at Girl Talk's set purely for the spectacle of it all. I wanna see a bunch of white kids dance around like idiots, live. I'm happy to pay for that.
This much I can at least understand. I finally see some value to girl talk's set.

ToddThaGod
03-23-2007, 09:23 AM

lol i was thinking the same thing

yolowo
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
what are you talking about how it "should sound like a trainwreck", but that he "pulls it off". Do you really think playing a laptop is like flipping records on a laptop and franticly adjusting your pitch? IT'S AUTOMATIC. The computer does that for him, and he's got all those samples wired up anyway. If he's not simply just letting his arrangment play without default then he's not very creative at improvising. I've heard portions of 3 sets now, they all suck. I think he intentionally tries to get himself kicked off stage just to create hype. That's the only way he seems to be able to do it.

i'm not talking about skill level in a live context. it's the arrangements and ideas/concepts. personally, i'm not concerned so much with physical ability in the live setting. there are millions of spot-on beatles cover bands, that doesn't mean anything. it doesn't mean the band is not significant. it doesn't take anything away from their song-writing, performance, and/or music. good music, to me, isn't about physically doing/playing things that other people can't.

J~$$$
03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I would hire him to play my wedding.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
i'm not talking about skill level in a live context. it's the arrangements and ideas/concepts. personally, i'm not concerned so much with physical ability in the live setting. there are millions of spot-on beatles cover bands, that doesn't mean anything. it doesn't mean the band is not significant. it doesn't take anything away from their song-writing, performance, and/or music. good music, to me, isn't about physically doing/playing things that other people can't.

good music isn't just about live technical proficiency either, but it's got to be about something.

I don't mind seeing a producer just push a few buttons on stage if I know that he's spent months crafting his own unique sound and lots of time arranging that particular set (of course I'd be pissed if he did it the exact same way twice).

However, if you don't have the unique sound and composition skill then you can redeem it with live proficiency. i don't see either one from him. Maybe you've got fun music, and i've never said that nobody can enjoy GT's music, just that it's that you people are touting him as this genius when all he's really good at is cutting and pasting other people's work. The reason he's big is because he throws in some indie samples to make your hip hop more palletable. It gives everyone a piece of what they're familiar and comortable with and enough of something else to make them think they're being adventurous. it's like a closeted gay dude in denial buying a transvestite hooker or a shemale. GT is the ugly shemale of indie music. A little of everything, but not a great example of either and often poorly contrasted.

Genedefekt
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
(applause)

full on idle
03-23-2007, 09:59 AM
The reason he's big is because he throws in some indie samples to make your hip hop more palletable. It gives everyone a piece of what they're familiar and comortable with and enough of something else to make them think they're being adventurous.
You misrepresent most of the people around here when you fill in their opinions and their reasons for them.

I mean really, you're being insulting and superior.

I'm also rereading the thread to find out where people are "touting" GT as a genius.

Mr.Nipples
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Why do you post here then?

E

because i fucking can...thats why.

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
point out what the fuck was contradictory, or better yet, go look up the word contradictory. "What we paid for was the headliners, everything else is just a bonus" has to go down as one of the most moronic things ever said on this board. You think the headliners are the only ones getting paid?

of course he's not getting a big portion of your ticket price, but he's getting some, genius. there's only so many acts that can show and regardless of whether it's about money or just space he's still in the way of someone with more talent who deserves to be there (not me, not you, not any other piece of shit hack you drool over, but somebody).

i'm not sure if you're a girl talk fan or are just under the delusion that you have something intelligent to say, but try and get this through your thick skull. This is a message board, retard. arguing about music is what it's for.
I'll bet the irony of your ridiculous accusation of pretense is completely lost on
you. I'm not making fun of everyone for being misinformed, just you. While you're doing a goofy arhythmical jig to GT's set i'll be somewhere listening to an artist perform.

Have a nice life. i'll bet it's fun droning through life in a mediocre stupor.

This much I can at least understand. I finally see some value to girl talk's set.

""What we paid for was the headliners, everything else is just a bonus" has to go down as one of the most moronic things ever said on this board. You think the headliners are the only ones getting paid?

of course he's not getting a big portion of your ticket price, but he's getting some, genius."

Reading is fundamental, fuckstick. Did I say that only the headliners are getting paid? No. Did I say that GT was a charity case? No. What I did say is that you harping on how you cant believe people are paying to see GT is inane. I'm not paying to see GT, I'm paying to see Arcade Fire, Hot Chip, The Black Keys, LCD, etc. Being able to see GT, Silversun, Tapes 'n Tapes, Ratatat, etc. is a bonus. If you can't understand that logic, then you are beyond hope. Sorry I didn't put in " " marks to indicate to your feeble mind that I was speaking in generalities.

Contradictory: adj: 1. Some fucking douchebag saying that this is a forum for arguing about music, then going on a tirade when someone else argues against their POV. See: jackstraw94086

And I'd rather go through life in a mediocre stupor (whatever the fuck that is) than as an insufferable prick. Amazing how you can type so many fucking words with your head that far up your ass.

jackstraw94086
You misrepresent most of the people around here when you fill in their opinions and their reasons for them.

I mean really, you're being insulting and superior.

I'm also rereading the thread to find out where people are "touting" GT as a genius.

oh shut up. That was clearly my opinion of what why I think people are liking GT. It's not me putting words in everyone's mouth like you try to accuse me of. Give up the old "ooooh that's a cheap rhetorical trick" shit. You know damn well what I mean. grow some skin. i don't care if you or anybody or everybody likes him. It's not as if your tastes are empirically observable truths and I have to resort to dirty tricks and misdirection to challenge them.

And the people touting him as a genius is implied with all this stupid hype. I really don't feel as though this needs to be diagramed out or that people are so stupid as to need me to qualify every single sentence with "oh btw this is only my opinion". Can you really not figure that out?

yolowo
The reason he's big is because he throws in some indie samples to make your hip hop more palletable. It gives everyone a piece of what they're familiar and comortable with and enough of something else to make them think they're being adventurous. it's like a closeted gay dude in denial buying a transvestite hooker or a shemale. GT is the ugly shemale of indie music. A little of everything, but not a great example of either and often poorly contrasted.

GT samples hundreds of songs on his last album. I’d approximate 95% of those are Top 40 songs. Most of these artists have been sampled previously on major label hip hop releases. Not to state the obvious, but sampling other genres of music to make hip hop-related music has been going on forever. Off the top of my head, the only “indie” samples on that record are Neutral Milk Hotel, Sonic Youth, the Boredoms (from Chocolate Synthesizer, pretty obscure), LCD Sound System, and M.I.A. (already hip hop oriented). There are maybe a couple of others but not many more. This album is far from some sort of indie-guy making hip hop OK for Pitchfork readers. Just because Pitchfork gave it a good review doesn’t mean that this record was catered towards that crowd. I can’t believe the Pitchfork readers have actually gotten down with this sort of thing. Regardless, Girl Talk is all about pop. It’s not subversive, it’s actually very straight up.

I also didn't see anyone calling GT a genius. I just like his music.

full on idle
03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
It's not as if your tastes are empirically observable truths
So stop generalizing them! I like girl talk because it makes hip hop safe for me? Are you fucking kidding?

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
oh shut up. That was clearly my opinion of what why I think people are liking GT. It's not me putting words in everyone's mouth like you try to accuse me of. Give up the old "ooooh that's a cheap rhetorical trick" shit. You know damn well what I mean. grow some skin. i don't care if you or anybody or everybody likes him. It's not as if your tastes are empirically observable truths and I have to resort to dirty tricks and misdirection to challenge them.

And the people touting him as a genius is implied with all this stupid hype. I really don't feel as though this needs to be diagramed out or that people are so stupid as to need me to qualify every single sentence with "oh btw this is only my opinion". Can you really not figure that out?

I guess we'll all know who jackstraw is when we see the person standing at the edge of the GT show relentlessly booing and holding a sign saying "YOU ARE ALL FUCKING IDIOTS FOR PAYING TO SEE THIS LACK OF TALENT BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION."

hangthedj112
03-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm gonna have so much fan at Girl Talk's set. :dumbo

J~$$$
03-23-2007, 10:24 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 10:26 AM
""What we paid for was the headliners, everything else is just a bonus" has to go down as one of the most moronic things ever said on this board. You think the headliners are the only ones getting paid?

of course he's not getting a big portion of your ticket price, but he's getting some, genius."

Reading is fundamental, fuckstick. Did I say that only the headliners are getting paid? No. Did I say that GT was a charity case? No. What I did say is that you harping on how you cant believe people are paying to see GT is inane. I'm not paying to see GT, I'm paying to see Arcade Fire, Hot Chip, The Black Keys, LCD, etc. Being able to see GT, Silversun, Tapes 'n Tapes, Ratatat, etc. is a bonus. If you can't understand that logic, then you are beyond hope. Sorry I didn't put in " " marks to indicate to your feeble mind that I was speaking in generalities.

Contradictory: adj: 1. Some fucking douchebag saying that this is a forum for arguing about music, then going on a tirade when someone else argues against their POV. See: jackstraw94086

And I'd rather go through life in a mediocre stupor (whatever the fuck that is) than as an insufferable prick. Amazing how you can type so many fucking words with your head that far up your ass.

You said you're paying for the headliners, retard. I did read what you wrote. Of course I can comprehend that you understand the idea of the others acts being paid. You're so bad at this. You ARE paying for GT to perform at coachella when you bought your ticket, everybody is, moron. You can't decide how goldenvoice spends your money. Nothing is a "bonus". If you can't understand that logic then you're a fucking vegetable. GT is taking up a slot that someone else could have gotten.

Your stupidity is astounding. your contradiction accusation is absolutely hilarious and it doesn't surprise me how you don't understand your own irony. Get this through at least the first couple inches of your skull; I'm not calling you an hypocritical douche for disagreeing with me. I'm calling you a mental midget for choosing to call me out simply for arguing instead of challenging my opinion on GT.

i can handle people disagreeing with my taste in music, I'm not as new to this arguing thing as you are. However, that's not what you'e doing. Instead you chose to try and clown me simply for arguing on the internet. Did you really think i was going to hear someone say "um no you're wrong" and say "OK well that's that then. We're done". Once again, this is what a board is for fuckbrain. Are you even conscious? Are you typing this during recess?

You have temporarily taken over as the most retarded and inept person on this board. Congratulations. i think you may solidify your position with your next post.

I'll bet you have shitty taste in music (that's only a guess because you have yet to say anything related to the subject), you pretentious prick.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
fuck girl talk

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
I guess we'll all know who jackstraw is when we see the person standing at the edge of the GT show relentlessly booing and holding a sign saying "YOU ARE ALL FUCKING IDIOTS FOR PAYING TO SEE THIS LACK OF TALENT BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION."

right. that's what I'll be doing, genius.
shouldn't you be busy building up the nerve to ask someone to the prom or something?

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
So stop generalizing them! I like girl talk because it makes hip hop safe for me? Are you fucking kidding?

If the comment doen't apply to you then don't listen. Grow some skin.

full on idle
03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh please.

Is your suggestion that since I disagree with your assertions about people that like girl talk that I just not say anything? Just allow you to be insulting and overgeneralizing because to make an argument against you is to not have skin?

I don't care if you don't like Girl Talk. I don't care if you trash every track, beat, live performance, youtube video link, etc. featuring Girl Talk. I care when you start saying things about people that like it.

BECAUSE, jack, those assertions to not apply to me, they don't apply to any of my friends that also like girl talk. I'm not an indie douchebag. I'm not an EDM douchebag either.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
so I suppose that means that you believe the grow some skin comment is hypocritical.

get it straight. some of us enjoy this, not all of us get all broken up and personally offended by someone making fun of GT and their fans.

(notice I said 'not all of us' instead of nobody. Does that sit better with you or can i not even use the word "us"?)

EDIT:
ok so you edited your reponse so I'll elaborate as well.

Once again, if you don't believe what I'm saying applies to you then don't bother listening. You're getting offended because you're forcing yourself into my definition of a girl talk fan. If it fits you then that sucks for you. You can insult me if you want, but it would be more effective in a "you're wrong about GT because .... etc." if you don't want to insult me then don't say anything. Just crying because I called GT fans ignorant is stupid. you think I haven't been generalized as an EDM fan before? grow up.

J~$$$
03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/kanthack/440-funny-vanity-license-plate.jpg

full on idle
03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
so I suppose that means that you believe the grow some skin comment is hypocritical.
supposition, assumption, either way you're deciding what I'm thinking.

get it straight. some of us enjoy this, not all of us get all broken up and personally offended by someone making fun of GT and their fans.
Do you think I'm broken up? I'm sitting at goddamned reception waiting to go to lunch. I'm just defending myself as someone who likes the girl talk and is not an indie douchebag ignorant of hip hop, mainstream or underground.

(notice I said 'not all of us' instead of nobody. Does that sit better with you or can i not even use the word "us"?)
I swear to god I raised issue with that technique like two years ago and you still are bent about it, you're a fucking elephant.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I swear to god I raised issue with that technique like two years ago and you still are bent about it, you're a fucking elephant.

um let's see. maybe it's because you just fucking accused me of it again. So now I'm not allowed to remember shit after you wave it in front of me?

This thread sucks now.

chrislasf
03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
This thread sucked from the beginning. I think Girl Talk is fun. There might be a million other people out there who are capable of what he does and who do it better. But I dont care because Girl Talk is at Coachella and theyre not. I dont think he is a genius. He's awfully fun though.

Mr.Nipples
03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
please stop refering to girl talk as "GT"...

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh, you are waaaay to easy to rile up, but this is fun, so I'll continue...

"You ARE paying for GT to perform at coachella when you bought your ticket, everybody is, moron. You can't decide how goldenvoice spends your money. Nothing is a "bonus".

Really? Funny how I'm the moron but, despite repeated attempts to explain this, you still don't get it. Let me try speaking slowly and breaking it down for you:

The $ I spent to attend Coachella- Yes, all bands are getting paid a portion of it. The difference, you see, is that the way I look at it there are approximately forty bands I would pay money to see. Included in that number are bands like Interpol, Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, The Roots, Amy Winehouse, Hot Chip, Ghostface, etc. If these acts were playing their own show, tickets would run anywhere form $40-$60. Multiply that by six bands and *poof!* I've paid for my ticket. Just by seeing those six bands! Amazing huh? By my logic then, everything else is a bonus. I'm sure you already see my logic as tragically flawed and stupid, but then you have also spent at least six hours today trying to explain to people why Girl Talk is not workth seeing. Speaks volumes.

"I'm calling you a mental midget for choosing to call me out simply for arguing instead of challenging my opinion on GT"

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure I stated my opinion when I started this thread. You were the one who wrote a small book disagreeing with me. Get over yourself.

"I'm not as new to this arguing thing as you are."

Is debate team fun for you? If you bring home a medal next week, maybe mommy will bake you some special "Best Arguer" cookies!

"You have temporarily taken over as the most retarded and inept person on this board. Congratulations. i think you may solidify your position with your next post."

OOOHH REALLY??? ::crosses fingers::

Just because you said so, right? Sounds to me you care a whole lot more about what anonymous posters on the interwebs think about you than I do.

"I'll bet you have shitty taste in music"

Is that just your opinion, or is that a statement of fact? I get confused because it seems you have a hard time differentiating between the two when you're typing.

Like I said- Get over yourself. If you knew shit about shit, you would be doing something besides spending your days on concert chat board.

chrislasf
03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Come to think of it, I am pretty sure I caught Girl Talk at Be The Riottt because Jack said he was cool and did fun stuff.

full on idle
03-23-2007, 11:11 AM
maybe it's because you just fucking accused me of it again.
Where?

You're getting offended because you're forcing yourself into my definition of a girl talk fan. If it fits you then that sucks for you. You can insult me if you want, but it would be more effective in a "you're wrong about GT because .... etc."
I'm getting offended because you're making statements about girl talk fans that are insulting and I like the girl talk. I'm telling you it doesn't fit me. I don't want to insult you, you're my favorite, I'm just doing the same thing you're doing, arguing on the board. Plus NOWHERE did I say "you're wrong about GT" I said, "you're wrong about GT fans."

smooch

Mr.Nipples
03-23-2007, 11:13 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/souljah408/redneck1.jpg

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh, you are waaaay to easy to rile up, but this is fun, so I'll continue...

"You ARE paying for GT to perform at coachella when you bought your ticket, everybody is, moron. You can't decide how goldenvoice spends your money. Nothing is a "bonus".

Really? Funny how I'm the moron but, despite repeated attempts to explain this, you still don't get it. Let me try speaking slowly and breaking it down for you:

The $ I spent to attend Coachella- Yes, all bands are getting paid a portion of it. The difference, you see, is that the way I look at it there are approximately forty bands I would pay money to see. Included in that number are bands like Interpol, Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, The Roots, Amy Winehouse, Hot Chip, Ghostface, etc. If these acts were playing their own show, tickets would run anywhere form $40-$60. Multiply that by six bands and *poof!* I've paid for my ticket. Just by seeing those six bands! Amazing huh? By my logic then, everything else is a bonus. I'm sure you already see my logic as tragically flawed and stupid, but then you have also spent at least six hours today trying to explain to people why Girl Talk is not workth seeing. Speaks volumes.

"I'm calling you a mental midget for choosing to call me out simply for arguing instead of challenging my opinion on GT"

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure I stated my opinion when I started this thread. You were the one who wrote a small book disagreeing with me. Get over yourself.

"I'm not as new to this arguing thing as you are."

Is debate team fun for you? If you bring home a medal next week, maybe mommy will bake you some special "Best Arguer" cookies!

"You have temporarily taken over as the most retarded and inept person on this board. Congratulations. i think you may solidify your position with your next post."

OOOHH REALLY??? ::crosses fingers::

Just because you said so, right? Sounds to me you care a whole lot more about what anonymous posters on the interwebs think about you than I do.

"I'll bet you have shitty taste in music"

Is that just your opinion, or is that a statement of fact? I get confused because it seems you have a hard time differentiating between the two when you're typing.

Like I said- Get over yourself. If you knew shit about shit, you would be doing something besides spending your days on concert chat board.

K then. you're clearly not riled up. I'm sooooo raged right now I can't see.
watching you get all edgy because I make fun of your music is fun.

so anyway. When you spat at me you did so with no other substance than just making fun of me, you weren't defending GT (fuck off whoever doesn't like the abbreviation)

I get the concept of concert prices, douchmouth. I couldn't care less that you claim you'd have spent the $40-60 per concert to see all of those bands individally (which you're probably lying about anyway, you probably wouldn't). The plain fact of the matter is that you're still paying or someone to be there when that money could have brought someone more deserving. And I also said it's not purely about money, but also the time slot he's taking.
If you don't care then that's fine, but you're still not very smart.

and btw i love how you're trying to clown me for being verbose. Do you look at your posts when you're done? Put the gum away before trying to type.

p.s. when you just tried to make fun of me for being trying to be pretentious with the "i'll bet your taste in music sucks" you conveniently left off the very next sentence (which was "(that's only a guess because you have yet to say anything related to the subject)"). It was just a joke and a reference to how you choose to argue about arguing instead of the actual meat of the discussion

I'm not surprised you couldn't figure that out though. you probably didn't even continue reading. you're just steamed and formulating a response.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Come to think of it, I am pretty sure I caught Girl Talk at Be The Riottt because Jack said he was cool and did fun stuff.

I admit I did think GT (GTGTGTGTGTGGGGGTTTTTT) was amusing catchy stuff, but never did I ever say that it was a meaningful live performance. Night Ripper as a collection of mashups is amusing. As an album for sale it's a crime, as a live performance it's a sham.

Had GT not been touring around charghing $15-$20 to see him I'd have no problem with him.

Him being reviewed and praised in (questionably)reputable music publication is baffling.

edit: I accidentally spelled out GT and had to fix it.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Where?

Here (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112657&postcount=94)

yolowo
03-23-2007, 11:27 AM
people pay money to see girl talk because 1) they like his music, 2) you get to hear the music live and loud, 3) people have fun and dance, 4) people meet people and get laid

everyone wins

get over it

summerkid
03-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I want to say I don't hate Girl Talk, I think it'd be a fun set and I'd check him out if he opened the Gobi, but that video that was posted was fucking terrible.

full on idle
03-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Jack,
I wasn't objecting to your use of "us" or "we" in that post, I was objecting to your generalization of the people that like girl talk. Maybe I'm not making sense, but I think I am.

hangthedj112
03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
For hating Girl Talk so much you sure have spent a lot of time arguing/bitching about him.

adamnikyo
03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
That's just what he does. But he's not the one who's riled up or cares, we are.

Mr.Nipples
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
good god...

HEADSTRUCK
03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
i think i have to poop

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
That's just what he does. But he's not the one who's riled up or cares, we are.

not everyone. only you. calm down.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 12:11 PM
For hating Girl Talk so much you sure have spent a lot of time arguing/bitching about him.

why not?

and if you're following i'm not hating GT. I'm hating on the people who think he's so great. GT himself my be the humblest guy on earth for all I know.

chrislasf
03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I also like Z-Trip very much.

Do I have bad taste?

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
good god, yes. How do you face yourself in the mirror, chris?

adamnikyo
03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
calm down.
I'm trying but I can't. I'm sorry.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm trying but I can't. I'm sorry.

the sun'll come ouuut tomorrow, but your bottom dollar that tomorrooowww, there'll be sun

Yablonowitz
03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
This thread sucks now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/yablonowitz/baby-crying.jpg

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 12:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/yablonowitz/baby-crying.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/sp.jpg

TheGunslinger138
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
All this fuss on a thread whose title doesn't even contain a proper verb. . . .

fober
03-23-2007, 01:17 PM
All this fuss on a thread whose title doesn't even contain a proper verb. . . .

"Girl Talk" is a verb now.

It's a synonym for "dancing around your laptop in your jammies."

brycerosen
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
cumon, this guy is clicking play. thats it. thats lame.

jackstraw94086
03-23-2007, 03:28 PM
people pay money to see girl talk because 1) they like his music, 2) you get to hear the music live and loud, 3) people have fun and dance, 4) people meet people and get laid

everyone wins

get over it

I just spotted this post for the first time and I must say I'm coming around your assessment of the value of a GT show. #1 is puzzling, but ok fine, #2 is questionable as far as being "live", #3 might be true, but #4 is just brilliant.
i hadn't thought about that. If you're at a GT show and find someone drunk enough to be enjoying themselves then sex is pretty much assured at that point. well played, sir. let's all get up on that stage and rub that sweaty dude till we find each other irresistable.

Alchemy
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
This thread needs to stop already. Don't you guys see? This is what Girl Talk wanted all along! People get confused about Girl Talk and its friends and foes, and chaos insues.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-23-2007, 05:02 PM
fuck girl talk and you will all agree when he stops being popular in a few months

Trick Loves The Kids
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
ghostface bitches

joebizz
03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
(not to start a cd/vinyl debate, but... aw fuck it)

dude, even CD's are already becoming obsolete. Format does not define a DJ, it's about what comes out of the mixer. spinning vinyl only because of principle is retarded. vinyl distribution is expensive and it doesn't make sense in today anyway. The big distributors are going under. Technology made EDM a lot easier to make and accelerated the amount of music out there. Puttig it all out on vinyl isn't possible. Being able to easily remix or at least edit a track is a huge deal. In the past people used to be at the mercy of their 5 ton record bag, but now a dj can bring a month's worth of music in his pocket.

I'd agree that it's fucked up for some dj's to abuse the format and pre-pitch their tracks (with the possible exception of dnb acts so they can put together way more technically difficult sets than a vinyl dj could ever pull off) , but so what. A lot of vinyl purists around here tend to be house snobs with noses so high in the air that they can't even see in front of them.
What they don't understand is that the bar is raised when you go to CD. You're supposed to advance the art. On laptops the bar is raised even higher. That's what it's supposed to be about. If the dj's don't take advantage of the capabilities of CDs or laptops then by all means, make fun of them.

oh and btw, your comment about how a CDJ can "Just count the BPM's add 'em up, press play" is ludicrous. Have you ever used one? Half the time they're off by at least a couple BPM and are virtually worthless for beat matching. Maybe for house music they may work a little better but even the best BPM counters are shit for breaks. You still have to have an ear and it takes shitloads of practice to get it right(you may have caught on right away, but you have to remember you already know how to do it). Plus with real-time cue buttons and looping you can do some pretty cool shit.
Basically if you're familiar enough with your tracks in the first place the BPM counter is worthless.

What comes out of a mixer defines a D.J.? You cannot be serious. You did not just say that. Oh, you did. Clearly, you are a new schooler. Spinning vinyl out of principle is retarded? You deserve a proper spanking, child. Yes, I have tried the Pioneer CD turntable, and it is child's play. No need for a needle skip. No need to worry about static build up. No dust on the needles. All these things that are eliminated. Cool. But you never learn the art of improvisation. How to overcome unexpected problems. It is similar to an oil painter on canvas to photoshop. One has soul, the other is predictable.
I understand that technology has some great advantages, but, if you cannot learn to draw, you cannot expect yourself to be Michaelangelo. You are just a Copy/Paste Push button jukebox.

full.on.idle
03-24-2007, 12:04 AM
oh it's been ba-rought.

DRUNKOFFBREASTMILK
03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
NHglp6rsyB8

full.on.idle
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
What a dick.

jackstraw94086
03-24-2007, 12:49 AM
What comes out of a mixer defines a D.J.? You cannot be serious. You did not just say that. Oh, you did. Clearly, you are a new schooler. Spinning vinyl out of principle is retarded? You deserve a proper spanking, child. Yes, I have tried the Pioneer CD turntable, and it is child's play. No need for a needle skip. No need to worry about static build up. No dust on the needles. All these things that are eliminated. Cool. But you never learn the art of improvisation. How to overcome unexpected problems. It is similar to an oil painter on canvas to photoshop. One has soul, the other is predictable.
I understand that technology has some great advantages, but, if you cannot learn to draw, you cannot expect yourself to be Michaelangelo. You are just a Copy/Paste Push button jukebox.

Holy shit, I've heard hundreds of vinyl nazis spew their crap, but yours is among the greatest I've ever heard. The funniest part is that I think deep down you know it too because your logic is so desperate. You covet the DJ status so much that you can't handle the influx of people putting you in your place and you're pissed that you're no longer a god behind the turntables. Toto's nipping at your heels, the curtain has been pulled, and it turns out you're just a floating head. It hurts, I know.
you think worrying about static buildup and needle skipping makes you talented? Are you really serious? Those comments right there are proof positive that you're full of yourself and not really concerned about playing music for other people. Nobody gives a flying fuck about the difficulties you're having up there (and it's not like they're a huge mystery either, get over yourself).

By far the most hilarious thing you've said thus far is that someone who doesn't spin vinyl hasn't learned the "art" of improvisation. I'm not kidding I laughed out loud at that. You think "improvisation" means avoiding technical problems? You've just painted yourself 50x the amateur you could possibly accuse anyone else of being. The fact is that you can improvise more (in a legitimate sense) on a digital turntable than you can with a vinyl record. You can't set several cue points on the fly and create loops. You just play what's on your record and let it spin for all it's worth unless you're a junglist or hip hop turntablist. I'm betting big money your'e a house DJ though. People who say what you do generally are.

It's about what you do with it, and if you have better technology you're expected to make better use of it. I believe you've used a pioneer CDJ, but I don't believe you've performed a set with a couple. They're far less forgiving of jerky movements than a heavy vinyl platter. You'd know this if you were telling the truth. I'm not saying it's harder or easier, just different. I doubt you've ever set real-time cue points and chopped a loop on the fly either. That's not that hard either, but good luck trying that shit on vinyl. Improvisation my ass.

I don't hate on any DJ for the format they're using, but if you insist that anyone who doesn't spin vinyl isn't a DJ then you're just ignorant. Almost without fail, people who say that are nobody's(and that's not even remotly suggesting that I'm somebody). The truth is you're looking around at all the big names in the business (not just the hyped ones, but the real production talent as well) and you're seeing most of them adapt and take advantage of new technology and take their performance to the next level. I've seen vinyl turntablists still put on ridiculously good shows, but most of them are acts big enough to press their own vinyl (something a any CDJ could do for themselves). However I suspect you're not one of those guys. I suspect you're just a guy how knows how gently place a needle on a platter (just like millions of people, talented and talentless before you). I'll bet You spend $10-$12 for a couple tracks, and then then play the the same way day in day out. How wonderful for you. Again, I know vinyl DJ's who are incredibly talented, but the most talented of them are not so pompous as to dismiss the hordes of people around them making their own damn music or their own remixes and burning them on CDs.

Tell us more about how much more "soul" you've got and much more of a "michaelangelo" you are. (I LOL'd)

You crack me up, you house junkies. Have a nice night, I hope your gig went well.

Psicosis
03-24-2007, 02:14 AM
GIMMICKY

.. describes about a fifth of the artists on the bill.

DeltaSigChi4
03-24-2007, 07:26 AM
.. describes about a fifth of the artists on the bill.

List them out, you douche.

Fucking girltalk fanboy bitch.

E

joebizz
03-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Holy shit, I've heard hundreds of vinyl nazis spew their crap, but yours is among the greatest I've ever heard. The funniest part is that I think deep down you know it too because your logic is so desperate. You covet the DJ status so much that you can't handle the influx of people putting you in your place and you're pissed that you're no longer a god behind the turntables. Toto's nipping at your heels, the curtain has been pulled, and it turns out you're just a floating head. It hurts, I know.
you think worrying about static buildup and needle skipping makes you talented? Are you really serious? Those comments right there are proof positive that you're full of yourself and not really concerned about playing music for other people. Nobody gives a flying fuck about the difficulties you're having up there (and it's not like they're a huge mystery either, get over yourself).

By far the most hilarious thing you've said thus far is that someone who doesn't spin vinyl hasn't learned the "art" of improvisation. I'm not kidding I laughed out loud at that. You think "improvisation" means avoiding technical problems? You've just painted yourself 50x the amateur you could possibly accuse anyone else of being. The fact is that you can improvise more (in a legitimate sense) on a digital turntable than you can with a vinyl record. You can't set several cue points on the fly and create loops. You just play what's on your record and let it spin for all it's worth unless you're a junglist or hip hop turntablist. I'm betting big money your'e a house DJ though. People who say what you do generally are.

It's about what you do with it, and if you have better technology you're expected to make better use of it. I believe you've used a pioneer CDJ, but I don't believe you've performed a set with a couple. They're far less forgiving of jerky movements than a heavy vinyl platter. You'd know this if you were telling the truth. I'm not saying it's harder or easier, just different. I doubt you've ever set real-time cue points and chopped a loop on the fly either. That's not that hard either, but good luck trying that shit on vinyl. Improvisation my ass.

I don't hate on any DJ for the format they're using, but if you insist that anyone who doesn't spin vinyl isn't a DJ then you're just ignorant. Almost without fail, people who say that are nobody's(and that's not even remotly suggesting that I'm somebody). The truth is you're looking around at all the big names in the business (not just the hyped ones, but the real production talent as well) and you're seeing most of them adapt and take advantage of new technology and take their performance to the next level. I've seen vinyl turntablists still put on ridiculously good shows, but most of them are acts big enough to press their own vinyl (something a any CDJ could do for themselves). However I suspect you're not one of those guys. I suspect you're just a guy how knows how gently place a needle on a platter (just like millions of people, talented and talentless before you). I'll bet You spend $10-$12 for a couple tracks, and then then play the the same way day in day out. How wonderful for you. Again, I know vinyl DJ's who are incredibly talented, but the most talented of them are not so pompous as to dismiss the hordes of people around them making their own damn music or their own remixes and burning them on CDs.

Tell us more about how much more "soul" you've got and much more of a "michaelangelo" you are. (I LOL'd)

You crack me up, you house junkies. Have a nice night, I hope your gig went well.

If you had actually read my original post, you would know I am not "anti C.D.". I recognize it as another weapon in your arsenal. I never said anything about dismissing a C.D.D.J. Don't put words in my mouth. My gripe is with the new kids coming up STRICTLY on C.D.'s, who walk in thinking they are the shit without even a week of learning how to spin. THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT. Believe me though, I'm not too worried about Toto nipping at my heels. We can agree to disagree. Also, just to clear things up house hater, I spin dub and trip hop.
Can we go back to bashing Girl Talk? Its more fun.
"This bores me. Anyone up for a game of basketball?- Prince

HEADSTRUCK
03-24-2007, 07:53 AM
i use both....
records have a better feel and i get off on that but i can produce my own tracks and play them on cd. plus with cds u can find shit u cant play otherwise.....they both will be around forever......

Trick Loves The Kids
03-24-2007, 09:57 AM
the format you use when djing ain't shit. if you're trying to get people to dance then do it with an ipod. plenty of DJs use laptops (and not vinyl emulation, just straight laptops) and are good at what they do. however they actually use the laptop to manipulate shit live as opposed to chopping it all up at home and hitting "play" on samples. you can be a good DJ with any format. i don't hate girl talk because he uses a laptop, i hate him because he uses a laptop poorly (headphone jack).

yolowo
03-24-2007, 02:26 PM
do you dislike bands that use non-expensive and/or non-wireless guitar? i'm into music, not equipment

don't know what gt uses, but there are wireless sound cards with 1/8" jacks that fit right into your computer. so it looks like you're using your headphone jack. m-audio has a few i know. seen bunches of laptop dudes rocking these lately

jackstraw94086
03-24-2007, 02:46 PM
If you had actually read my original post, you would know I am not "anti C.D.". I recognize it as another weapon in your arsenal. I never said anything about dismissing a C.D.D.J. Don't put words in my mouth. My gripe is with the new kids coming up STRICTLY on C.D.'s, who walk in thinking they are the shit without even a week of learning how to spin. THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT. Believe me though, I'm not too worried about Toto nipping at my heels. We can agree to disagree. Also, just to clear things up house hater, I spin dub and trip hop.
Can we go back to bashing Girl Talk? Its more fun.
"This bores me. Anyone up for a game of basketball?- Prince

I'll admit I'm probably projecting more of the generic vinyl purist shit on you, and my response wasn't truly personal. You personally may not be as bad as the hordes of a-holes that hate on anything new, but who knows. However, I did read your post and you did dismiss cd dj's. I'm not putting any words in your mouth. You disrespected folks who don't play vinyl under the assumption that they possibly couldn't and that they don't truly have the proper skill. I think it's nuts to assume that just because someone who hasn't bothered or needed to play vinyl hasn't "learned how to spin". Knowing how to operate a 1200 doesn't make you a DJ, not knowing how doesn't disqualify you. You can have a surgeon's hands on a vinyl turntable and still not be able to mix for shit. vinyl's not a big mystery or rite of passage (I know that's the main point we disagree on). If you don't have an ear for it you wouldn't be able to spin anything. Half my friends spin vinyl, the other half CDs. Most vinyl guys tend to eventually switch to CDs as they learn to produce or edit their own tracks, but I've even seen guys go from CDs to vinyl. I fully admit that vinyl has a more tactile feel to it, but the CD's have other advantages, and are not really any easier.

As far as people thinking they're the shit, well that sucks, but it's not limited to CDs and laptops. Some punk can go out right now and buy a bag of vinyl and think he's the shit.
CD's require the same basic skills, but while you don't have to worry about skipping or static, you can focus that attention

And I'm not a house hater. I dig a lot of house. In fact a lot of the big breaks artists are staring to create a lot of 4x4 tracks, and I'm all for it (although a ton of breaks purists aren't, there's pretentious assholes in every genre). My only problem with house is some of the DJ's themselves. They tend to be the most pretentious of all and the ones who generally hate on CDJ's.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-24-2007, 03:11 PM
mixing CDs is a little easier and more forgiving, actually.

do you dislike bands that use non-expensive and/or non-wireless guitar? i'm into music, not equipment

don't know what gt uses, but there are wireless sound cards with 1/8" jacks that fit right into your computer. so it looks like you're using your headphone jack. m-audio has a few i know. seen bunches of laptop dudes rocking these lately

i'm almost positive he just plugs in to his laptop's stock headphone port. and you missed my point entirely, i don't give a shit about equipment as long as you use it well. he has all the power of his laptop and he doesn't do anything with it.

jackstraw94086
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
mixing CDs is a little easier and more forgiving, actually.

and I disagree. you can be a tad clumsier when nudging a record and the inertia of the record and platter dampens your mistakes. With a pioneer cd platter you've got to be a bit more precise. Plus there are a lot of dangerous buttons on there that can fuck you royally if you're not careful.

i don't give a shit about equipment as long as you use it well. he has all the power of his laptop and he doesn't do anything with it.

This point I agree with. A laptop unlock the power to do a lot of cool things that he doesn't look like he's doing. Granted he doesn't necessarily need any external controllers to improvise, but the fact that the doesn't have any is somewhat suspicious. I've seen Tipper perform for extended periods without taking his hands off the keyboard and mouse, but I forgive him because nobody makes music like his (well hardly anyone), and he's got other gadgets up there like his turntable which he scratches the shit out of.

There are guys out there who have made mouseless templates for Live like this guy below that allow you to improvise and create more of a live feel.
Check out his demo (most of it is boring except at just over 5 minutes in where he actually demonstrates the juggling. I admit the scratching is kinda lame). He sells this custom template for like $20 or something
JH1Ko630Ytc

Trick Loves The Kids
03-24-2007, 04:51 PM
i see your point on the jog wheel but with vinyl you have to be able to release the record perfectly in time. i do agree about the many dangerous buttons on the CDJs though, those things are complicated. i don't have much experience with CDJs other than the 100 which doesn't have vinyl emulation so you may be completely right... let's just talk about mr. gillis.

i think the extent of his sample manipulation is hitting "play". I think he has all his samples chopped up before hand and all he does is layer them. i doubt he even does looping or anything like that, i mean he spends an awful lot of time away from the laptop during his set anyway. i don't know how much of his set is planned out in terms of progression but i'd say most of it. he doesn't have to worry about people not feeling his selection so he can set everything up in a row and just tick samples off as he plays them. not real tough.

Alchemy
03-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Some of you have been writing way too much in this thread. If only you used that power for good.

full.on.idle
03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
dangerous buttons!

Chicky Baby
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
wah wah, don't like him, don't go see him.

Mr.Nipples
03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
im going to be asking you ALOT of questions jack...

jackstraw94086
03-24-2007, 07:47 PM
im going to be asking you ALOT of questions jack...

about what?

and hey chicky baby, wah wah welcome to the internets.

Mr.Nipples
03-24-2007, 07:51 PM
just about production in general...ive just come to realize that im doing alot more work than i have to and i figured youd be a person to ask...ill pm you later

jackstraw94086
03-24-2007, 09:04 PM
k, but I'll tell you right now I don't know a whole lot, just some relative basics. I'm no expert by any stretch of the word, just a dabbler. I picked up a ton of useful stuff in a workshop I won a spot in that was taught by Bassnectar. That was fucking awesome and I learned a bunch. It was taught in Reason but most of the concepts are transferable to Live. Mostly I just use Live to put together mixes or do track edits (and usually even then my Live sessions degenerate into me getting drunk and playing with effects for a couple hours).

If I can't help you I'm at least good at finding resources to find what you're looking for.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
yeah that sounds like me, i'm like incapable of learning music theory so mostly i just do edits and shit in live and put them into serato.

really if you want to learn shit just bootleg a program and start fucking around with it. tutorials help but it's good to just get hands on experience.

woootcoachellababy!
03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
word to n00bs like me who didnt know who girl talk was. it is not the same as the iTunes Girl Talk. thats jazz. chek out the website or on youtube.

Psicosis
03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
List them out, you douche.

Fucking girltalk fanboy bitch.

I'm not going to take this thread anymore off topic then it already is.

Nice assumption that gimmicky equals bad too.

jackstraw94086
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm not going to take this thread anymore off topic then it already is.

Nice assumption that gimmicky equals bad too.

The word gimmicky when applied to music generally means some sort of novel device or abnormal style which masks a lack of true talent or substance.

So yes, gimmicky generally means bad.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
if your music is gimmick and you're not weird al then yous uck

Psicosis
03-25-2007, 09:29 PM
The word gimmicky when applied to music generally means some sort of novel device or abnormal style which masks a lack of true talent or substance.

See I'd class someone like the Polyphonic Spree as gimmicky for their unusual outfits and mass of band members, but that doesn't mean that they are untalented by any means, or that their music talents are masked by what they wear imo.

yolowo
03-26-2007, 06:14 AM
i think the extent of his sample manipulation is hitting "play". I think he has all his samples chopped up before hand and all he does is layer them. i doubt he even does looping or anything like that, i mean he spends an awful lot of time away from the laptop during his set anyway. i don't know how much of his set is planned out in terms of progression but i'd say most of it. he doesn't have to worry about people not feeling his selection so he can set everything up in a row and just tick samples off as he plays them. not real tough.

i'm pretty sure the samples are all chopped up before hand too but it's loop-based and he seems to cue everything up live. when he leaves the computer, the same parts loop over and over. his live show is definitely not as precise as his album, it has a more hands-on feel. i don't think what he does in the live setting is difficult in the physical sense but it's about the preparation needed for it. getting some guitar center superstars to cover any band isn't really that tough, but the real value/skill is in the original arrangement/songwriting from the band. he puts together these arrangements/mixes/cut-ups and then performs them live. very similar to a band writing a song and performing it live. i could care less about level of difficulty in performing it. i'm not a huge joe satriani fan or anything.

if you're not into his tunes, i can't argue about that. but as far as the live show goes, i think it's about as live as it could be. it's great to hear it in a loud setting where you can dance with people, and he tries out plenty of new material that's not on Night Ripper. if you're a fan, seeing him is a chance to check out a preview of some future release material, plus the remix work he's done for Beck and other people.

joebizz
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=Trick Loves The Kids;114039]mixing CDs is a little easier and more forgiving, actually.

Thank you Trick.
Out.

jackstraw94086
03-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Thank you Trick.
Out.

did your gig go well tonight? When is your album coming out?

Out.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-26-2007, 11:08 PM
i could care less about level of difficulty in performing it. i'm not a huge joe satriani fan or anything.

actually i agree 100%. bangalter could've been checking his e-mail last year and i wouldn't have given a fuck.

jackstraw94086
03-26-2007, 11:21 PM
actually i agree 100%. bangalter could've been checking his e-mail last year and i wouldn't have given a fuck.

I think most of us agree on this point. However, the notion of excusing the technical proficiency of a live performance usually applies to those who are writing unique material. I've already stated that I don't care how much effort a live performer puts in on stage if I couldn't hear the same shit at home. Gillis is a different beast though.

He's great if he's in the back of a bar that you didn't have to pay a cover to get into.

M Sparks
03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I would suggest he gets a taller equipment rack, or he's going to have back problems later in life.

M Sparks
03-27-2007, 10:01 AM
girl talk makes music on a computer with samples. thats how he performs it live. this isn't 1995. there's no point in debating whether it's valid as a performance or not.

Ha...in 1995, I was in a band that was all computer based except for one guitarist. The bands we used to open for all thought we were nuts because we actually had a computer onstage. They all used DAT tapes, and we were lugging around "portable" computers running Cakewalk through racks of equipment. For some reason, we felt like we were more legitimate musicians. I suppose it didn't matter to the audience. (Although we could vary our setlist as we went, and the other bands were pretty locked in.)

On the other hand, the whole reason I was asked to join the band was because the singer originally stood behind the equipment the whole time, and people said it was "boring" watching a guy fiddle with computers. I took over the tech spot, but even I threw in extra percussion and live sample triggering, because I felt stupid just leaning over a computer. So I guess that's changed.

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
don't worry he won't be performing much longer.

yolowo
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
he's been at it for the past 7 years, i think he'll be alright

Trick Loves The Kids
03-27-2007, 11:54 AM
he's been at it for the past 7 years, i think he'll be alright

6 of those years was playing glitch showcases for 20 people

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 12:30 PM

thank you, but this guy hasn't read the previous posts, he'll probably skip this one too.

Secret Diary had a some mashups in it too, but more abstract and entertaining. it wasn't until night ripper that nerds went apeshit.

DanMonk
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
clearly you guys have never played girl talk. it is way more than just "pushing play" and dancing around a lab top!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/boardgamegeek/images/pic76398.jpg

It is all about having a good time and partying...

Plus if people want to see him and are willing to pay money then why should coachella not pay a "jukebox" to play music!

yolowo
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM

exactly, dude has paid his dues.

secret diary came out in 2001. his second album was totally on the
hyper-mash up tip that he's doing now, which dropped in 2003. it was a
bit more beat-driven, but around that time, he was already playing
Night Ripper style music at live shows. and his shows have always been
nuts. i saw him at the warhol museum in 2003, and he had a full
choreographed dance squad with him.

what's wrong with a musicians/bands sound developing over time anyway?

i don't think this sudden rise in popularity is gonna slow him down,
considering he's used to touring around to basement parties across the country/world for no money. i think it's awesome to see people work in
the underground music scene for so long and for it to pay off.

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 02:27 PM
what's wrong with a musicians/bands sound developing over time anyway?

There's nothing wrong with a musician's sound developing over time, but this guy's sound disappeared and was replaced by everyone else's sound. It's really not that creative.

and don't pretend like he's the hardest working man in the underground. I find it hard to believe he was touring around the world before this. pitchfork quoted him as saying he worked as a programmer for a medical supplies company and screwed around with mashups in spare time. There are countless people who actually do tirelessly tour while simultaneosly produce their own music.

Mr.Nipples
03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
clearly you guys have never played girl talk. it is way more than just "pushing play" and dancing around a lab top!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/boardgamegeek/images/pic76398.jpg

It is all about having a good time and partying...

Plus if people want to see him and are willing to pay money then why should coachella not pay a "jukebox" to play music!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

yolowo
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with a musician's sound developing over time, but this guy's sound disappeared and was replaced by everyone else's sound. It's really not that creative.

and don't pretend like he's the hardest working man in the underground. I find it hard to believe he was touring around the world before this. pitchfork quoted him as saying he worked as a programmer for a medical supplies company and screwed around with mashups in spare time. There are countless people who actually do tirelessly tour while simultaneosly produce their own music.

who else has produced an album like Night Ripper? i'm really interested. thousands of samples layered together. very few straight-up mash-ups, always evolving and layering up to 5 sources at a time. i'm a big fan of sample-based music, as far back as the 70's and 80's stuff, with john oswald (inventer of plunderphonics) and negativland, and this album totally stands out to me. diplo and steinski are the only people who really come close, but this material is totally different.

who performs live and plays no track un-altered, 45-60 minutes of remixes? i love diplo, flossy, etc, but those guys go up there and play remixes and songs by tons of other people and blend them together. they're good at it, but when you see girl talk, everything is a remix/mash-up/cut-up of his own. it's always songs layered and cut up together. it's never a straight-up song. the only other people doing stuff like that are people like jason forrest, v/vm, dj shawdow, and so on. you can't deny that girl talk sounds a lot different from those artists, he has his own style. you can love it / hate it, but it's obviously his own sound. definitely influenced by classic mash-ups but who else has taken it this far?

you only knowing about girl talk through pitchfork is a great sign that you don't follow US underground electronic music. he did his first tour in the summer of 2002, all over the US, with pittsburgh electronic people, called Circuits of Steel. he's done AT LEAST 4 nationwide tours since 2002, plus some dates in japan. he's been a very common name in underground sample-ish electronic music / glitch / breakcore for a long time.

Sexecutioner
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
so i just downloaded night ripper after reading all this bs. jesus, its not even that great. like somebody else said in this thread, its like an album for ADD kids. i mean, its cool how he mixes different genres into the same song, but for gods sake, can you hold it for longer than 5 seconds before switching to the next mashup? its like overload. it would be cool if i had the attention span of a 5 year old. reminds me of this tweaker i knew who would listen to about 30 seconds of a song before switching to the next song...over and over again.

it would be really cool if he actually matched the song timing on his own, but supposedly the software does it all for him? not that impressive then if thats the case. anybody could take a bunch of songs they like, throw it into the computer to mash it up for them, then play it on a stage and jump around. gay.

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
who else has produced an album like Night Ripper? i'm really interested. thousands of samples layered together. very few straight-up mash-ups, always evolving and layering up to 5 sources at a time. i'm a big fan of sample-based music, as far back as the 70's and 80's stuff, with john oswald (inventer of plunderphonics) and negativland, and this album totally stands out to me. diplo and steinski are the only people who really come close, but this material is totally different.

who performs live and plays no track un-altered, 45-60 minutes of remixes? i love diplo, flossy, etc, but those guys go up there and play remixes and songs by tons of other people and blend them together. they're good at it, but when you see girl talk, everything is a remix/mash-up/cut-up of his own. it's always songs layered and cut up together. it's never a straight-up song. the only other people doing stuff like that are people like jason forrest, v/vm, dj shawdow, and so on. you can't deny that girl talk sounds a lot different from those artists, he has his own style. you can love it / hate it, but it's obviously his own sound. definitely influenced by classic mash-ups but who else has taken it this far?

you only knowing about girl talk through pitchfork is a great sign that you don't follow US underground electronic music. he did his first tour in the summer of 2002, all over the US, with pittsburgh electronic people, called Circuits of Steel. he's done AT LEAST 4 nationwide tours since 2002, plus some dates in japan. he's been a very common name in underground sample-ish electronic music / glitch / breakcore for a long time.

Jesus christ, it's not "sample-based music" it's just samples. You want to kow who else has produced an album exactly like night ripper? nobody I know of has produced something exactly like it. It's because the music is not that interesting. It's not. There wasn't that much demand for it before now. The mashup culture flowed and ebbed because it kinda sucks as a staple. girl talk struck lightening, good for him. there may be a small nitche for it in the future but you know it's days of coachella type exposure are numbered.

I believe you when you say you like it. I don't doubt that you know lots about this crap, but how the fuck do you deduce that I only knew about girl talk through pitchfork? i only said pitchfork quoted him. How does that mean "i never heard about him before that?" Are you retarded? I was forwarded a sample from night ripper a year ago and found secret diary before the album night ripper was released. I found it somewhat amusing, but ultimately shallow. I've watched the hype build and it's very amusing. If you don't believe I follow underground electronica in this country you are very much mistaken. Please do tell me more about glitch, I'd love to hear you expound on your vast knowledge. what city are you in? If you had any real notion of underground you'd realize that by definition it's generally a local thing. Otherwise it's not "underground". I find it fucking hilarous as you make it seem as though you have this universal knowledge of "underground" as if that were even possible. Legit glitch artists out here who mash up hip hop with truly unique style and beats like Kraddy and Edit have been here for years. Just about every weekend I'm either at, participating in or helping produce underground electonica shows. I don't take it seriously, but I know the effort those good ones put in and the talent it takes. i haven't seen girl talk perform in SF before he was a superstar, people may find him amusing once, but not twice.

I love this quote of yours right here:

i love diplo, flossy, etc, but those guys go up there and play remixes and songs by tons of other people and blend them together.
LOLLERAMA dude. Are you schizophrenic and arguing with yourself? those guys are also playing their OWN music.

here's another that had me rolling:

you can't deny that girl talk sounds a lot different from those artists, he has his own style. you can love it / hate it, but it's obviously his own sound. definitely influenced by classic mash-ups but who else has taken it this far?

i don't deny that girl talk sound different than the artists you've mentioned. ya know why? because he sounds like the myriad of artists he's fucking sampling. I also love how you ask who else as "taken it this far" as if it's actually going somewhere.

joebizz
03-27-2007, 05:14 PM
did your gig go well tonight? When is your album coming out?

Out.

My gig went fantastic! But it was on Sat. night.
Yeah, my new album drops in June. It's gonna be called" Jackstraw is my fucking hero".

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 05:17 PM
My gig went fantastic! But it was on Sat. night.
Yeah, my new album drops in June. It's gonna be called" Jackstraw is my fucking hero".

awesome. can't wait to download it.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
i think the real point we're all missing is ghostface and the roots bitches

joebizz
03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't forget about El-P!

yolowo
03-27-2007, 05:28 PM
dude. Are you schizophrenic and arguing with yourself? those guys are also playing their OWN music.

cool man, i'm really done with this. i'm not claiming any superior knowledge underground electronic music, but i have heard of girl talk for a number of years now. if it came off like that, i didn't mean it too. you just made it sound like you've never heard of him prior to all of this hype. and i am pretty sure he's played some tigerbeat6 parties in the past in oakland. he's down with a number of those artists.

i'm a big edit fan by the way. love all of that tigerbeat6 noise too, mochipet and 606 and so on.

on the other point, i just saw flosstradamus play at sxsw and i saw them cue up offspring and let it play out, no remix, then i saw them play countless b-more remixes of pop songs that i know they didn't make. stuff on hollertronix label, stuff floating around the internet. it's cool, they don't claim to spin their own remixes all of the time, i'm pretty positive of that. and i don't expect them to. i've seen diplo a number of times as well and seen him just straight up mix into songs and let the songs play out. he will fade something else in and beat match, but he plays songs straight up. again, he's not trying to play exclusively his own remixes, and that's fine. to each their own, i'm just saying girl talk has a unique style to performing. if you don't like it, that's cool, but don't act like he just came out of nowhere and sounds like everyone else.

good nite

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
cool man, i'm really done with this. i'm not claiming any superior knowledge underground electronic music, but i have heard of girl talk for a number of years now. if it came off like that, i didn't mean it too. you just made it sound like you've never heard of him prior to all of this hype. and i am pretty sure he's played some tigerbeat6 parties in the past in oakland. he's down with a number of those artists.

i'm a big edit fan by the way. love all of that tigerbeat6 noise too, mochipet and 606 and so on.

on the other point, i just saw flosstradamus play at sxsw and i saw them cue up offspring and let it play out, no remix, then i saw them play countless b-more remixes of pop songs that i know they didn't make. stuff on hollertronix label, stuff floating around the internet. it's cool, they don't claim to spin their own remixes all of the time, i'm pretty positive of that. and i don't expect them to. i've seen diplo a number of times as well and seen him just straight up mix into songs and let the songs play out. he will fade something else in and beat match, but he plays songs straight up. again, he's not trying to play exclusively his own remixes, and that's fine. to each their own, i'm just saying girl talk has a unique style to performing. if you don't like it, that's cool, but don't act like he just came out of nowhere and sounds like everyone else.

good nite

OK fair is fair. You just like his style and I don't. That'll have to be it.
It seems your buttons don't want to be pushed tonight.
I love the rest of the music you mention (not so much the breakcore stuff though)

btw, amusing little mochipet snippet. a couple weekends ago he supposed to play the Juan Maclean show that my friend was promoting. Mochipet got a little tipsy before his set and was caught by security outside pissing on the building. He started mouthing off to the guard and my buddy had to just pay him to go home.

edit's got a new album (called "certified air raid matieral" i think) due in September. i'm psyched for it, but christ does that guy love himself. You should check ot the rest of the Glitch Mob and the New York Sub Swara guys if you haven't yet.

joebizz
03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
awesome. can't wait to download it.

Its only coming out on vinyl.

jackstraw94086
03-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Its only coming out on vinyl.

it's cool. i'll buy it and rip it for my friends.
i'll even play the vinyl out if I'm bringing the big bag anyway. I don't discriminate.

It better be fucking tight if my name's on it. just sayin'.

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Are you retarded? I was forwarded a sample from night ripper a year ago and found secret diary before the album night ripper was released. I found it somewhat amusing, but ultimately shallow. I've watched the hype build and it's very amusing. If you don't believe I follow underground electronica in this country you are very much mistaken. Please do tell me more about glitch, I'd love to hear you expound on your vast knowledge. what city are you in? If you had any real notion of underground you'd realize that by definition it's generally a local thing. Otherwise it's not "underground". I find it fucking hilarous as you make it seem as though you have this universal knowledge of "underground" as if that were even possible.

At this point, I have no idea if you're intentionally condescending, or if it just comes to you naturally. Maybe instead of spending your days on internet boards, you should take some sensitivity classes or something. Or you could just pull the stick out of your ass.

BTW- I have never seen "I" typed so many times in one post.

Seriously- get over yourself.

Daft Fro
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Regarding the Girl Talk video, if that is relatively what this thread is still about...

One would have to look at his laptop screen to really know what he is doing for sure,....but from the looks and sounds, it seems really basic. I could be doing that with my desktop + noobie music software I have.

If they wanted a good mashup act, couldn't they have just booked DJ Paul V (http://www.thesmashmix.com/) to spin? ;p

ghettojournalist
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Regarding the Girl Talk video, if that is relatively what this thread is still about...

One would have to look at his laptop screen to really know what he is doing for sure,....but from the looks and sounds, it seems really basic. I could be doing that with my desktop + noobie music software I have.

If they wanted a good mashup act, couldn't they have just booked DJ Paul V (http://www.thesmashmix.com/) to spin? ;p

DJ Paul V hasn't put out an album that all the important music mags have hailed as a top album of the year.
Girl Talk is very "it" now.
I like GT, but I'm just sayin'.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
At this point, I have no idea if you're intentionally condescending, or if it just comes to you naturally. Maybe instead of spending your days on internet boards, you should take some sensitivity classes or something. Or you could just pull the stick out of your ass.

BTW- I have never seen "I" typed so many times in one post.

Seriously- get over yourself.

Dealing with you is like trying to bounce an old nerf softball off a brick wall.
With you in particular I am absolutely being condescending because it would be impossible to comprehend how retarded I'd have be to get down to your level intellect.

Do you not know what pronouns are for, retard? The post was about very specific personal experience relating to what the guy was talking about. He was indirectly asking what experience I might have to back up my opinion. What the fuck word other than "I" would you rather me use, shit-for-brains?
I don't even really have a problem with that guy if you had read on.

You're the one who needs sensitivity classes. you posted a retarded video, people made fun of you for it, then you come back with personal remarks that have nothing to do with girl talk. But now that you've opened the door i'll play that game too, you halfwit dickslurp. How did you get this far in life without getting used to looking stupid.

Seriously - stab yourself in the nuts before you accidentally infect the human race any further. I'd expect your progeny is about 2 generations away from forgetting how to breathe.

Your Favorite Band Sucks
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Dealing with you is like trying to bounce an old nerf softball off a brick wall.
With you in particular I am absolutely being condescending because it would be impossible to comprehend how retarded I'd have be to get down to your level intellect.

Do you not know what pronouns are for, retard? The post was about very specific personal experience relating to what the guy was talking about. He was indirectly asking what experience I might have to back up my opinion. What the fuck word other than "I" would you rather me use, shit-for-brains?
I don't even really have a problem with that guy if you had read on.

You're the one who needs sensitivity classes. you posted a retarded video, people made fun of you for it, then you come back with personal remarks that have nothing to do with girl talk. But now that you've opened the door i'll play that game too, you halfwit dickslurp. How did you get this far in life without getting used to looking stupid.

Seriously - stab yourself in the nuts before you accidentally infect the human race any further. I'd expect your progeny is about 2 generations away from forgetting how to breathe.

Oh stop- you're making me blush.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh stop- you're making me blush.

I thought so.

joebizz
03-28-2007, 04:11 PM
it's cool. i'll buy it and rip it for my friends.
i'll even play the vinyl out if I'm bringing the big bag anyway. I don't discriminate.

It better be fucking tight if my name's on it. just sayin'.

Tight as a drum, my friend. It's also coming out on a limited edition 8-track, for the old skoolers.
Please don't burn 'em. I'm trying to make my $5. It may very well pay for my trip to the beer tent.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
I'll just send you the beer directly. Better yet, some soju coctails.

Send me a promo. I'm gonna mash it with Nelly, Fall Out Boy, and Gwen Stefani.

desphrs
03-28-2007, 05:07 PM

If anyone's looking for something like what's been described here in terms of music sourced from the music of others, but without it sounding like Grandmaster Flash on speed, go watch Richie Hawtin's set at the festival this year.

Better yet, go buy his '06 album DE9: Transitions -- he built it up from samples of over 100 songs, most completely unrecognizable.

jackstraw94086
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
http://www.ubercoolische.com/images/richieandricardo.png

richie's OK. He's got a sense of humor

I love this site
http://www.ubercoolische.com/

joebizz
03-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I'll just send you the beer directly. Better yet, some soju coctails.

Send me a promo. I'm gonna mash it with Nelly, Fall Out Boy, and Gwen Stefani.

Ha! You are a funny cat bro.
Peace prevails once again!

Trick Loves The Kids
03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
when i still hadn't realized that college radio is absolutely worthless i "reviewed" DE:9 for my school's station and good lord is minimal techno boring

i'd listen to that shit if i wanted to fall asleep or something