PDA

View Full Version : Most Influential Albums Revealed!

roberto73
03-21-2007, 10:38 AM
These results have been edited from this morning's initial post (3/21) in order to reflect the addition of three late voters.

As I promised in the "10 Most Influential Albums" thread, after a week I'd tabulate the results and post them. Because I figure more people are interested in the list than they are in how I actually did the calculations, here are the results. My explanation of the results follow, for any interested parties. Thanks to luckyface for starting the "Influential Albums" thread in the first place.

56 board members voted
259 artists represented
354 total albums named

Artist, Album, Total number of votes
Radiohead – OK Computer (21)
Nirvana – Nevermind (10)
Radiohead – Kid A (9)
The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground & Nico (8)
Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (7)
The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds (6)
The Beatles – Abbey Road (6)
The Beatles – Revolver (6)
The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (6)
The Beatles – The White Album (6)
Jeff Buckley – Grace (6)
The Clash – London Calling (5)
Interpol – Turn on the Bright Lights (5)
Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (5)
Pixies – Doolittle (5)
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead (5)
The Strokes – Is This It (5)
The Cure – Disintegration (4)
The Doors – S/T (4)
Pink Floyd – The Wall (4)
Pixies – Surfer Rosa (4)
Prince & The Revolution – Purple Rain (4)
Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation (4)
Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run (4)

Here's a quick explanation of what I counted:
I counted only those albums people listed as their Top Ten. I didn't count Honorable Mentions, and if you listed more than one album per slot (for instance, "Abbey Road/Revolver" in one slot), I counted only the first album listed. Likewise, people who filled up ten slots, but included things like "The first three U2 albums" as one slot, I only counted the first album in that series chronologically (so for the U2 example, it would be "Boy"). It might be nit-picking, but I wanted to make sure people only had a maximum of ten albums listed. I chose to extend the list to those albums receiving four votes simply to increase the diversity of the artists named.

Are the results predictable? Surprising? Comment away.

mob roulette
03-21-2007, 11:21 AM
strokes and interpol say a mouthful about the age bracket here. but thanks for doing this. nice.

rage patton
03-21-2007, 11:29 AM
I too am surprised the Stroked made it in there.
I am actually shocked there is no Led Zeppelin on there.
Also, no Daft Punk?
This is a surprising list.
I am glad Nirvana is up high there though.

SometimesNJ
03-21-2007, 11:30 AM
strokes and interpol say a mouthful about the age bracket here. but thanks for doing this. nice.

true. i can see the strokes..they helped bridge the gap between 90s rock and 2000-2007 indie rock. but yeah, interpol is kinda silly.

SometimesNJ
03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Also, no Daft Punk?

thats a good point..zeppelin does come up pretty frequently on this board, they should be there.

kreutz2112
03-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Also, no Daft Punk?

Why is that surprising?

mob roulette
03-21-2007, 11:39 AM
ok computer was a no brainer for the top spot too. nice to see the pixies love though. glad to see the songs stood the test of time. the pixies are one of those bands that got embraced by people back in the day who could really hear what was going on. and then they passed it down to their kid sisters. and her friends. nice to see it all work out twenty years down the line. nice.

luveebunni08
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
no bowie? that makes me sad. i agree on interpol and strokes. good bands but not really right in this list.

luckyface
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for doing this!

orbit
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Also, no Daft Punk?

Thats not surprising. NO Kraftwerk is surprising.

rage patton
03-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Also, no Daft Punk?

Why is that surprising?

Because people here talk about Daft Punk being the second comming of Christ... in a musical form.
Don't get me wrong. I love Daft Punk. Im going to the Seattle show.
Im just surprised considering how everyone here loves Daft Punk so much... they didnt even make on the above list.

kreutz2112
03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Because people here talk about Daft Punk being the second comming of Christ... in a musical form.
Don't get me wrong. I love Daft Punk. Im going to the Seattle show.
Im just surprised considering how everyone here loves Daft Punk so much... they didnt even make on the above list.

The list was for "most influential album". Not "best live show you have ever seen."

algunz
03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
How did you choose to rank the ones that had the same number of votes?

mountmccabe
03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I like all those albums but I count only one from my list that made it to this one. New Jersey was too good for you jerks, admit it.

roberto73
03-21-2007, 12:07 PM
For people wondering why some bands are unrepresented, take a second look at the stats just before the list. The list only represents 22/342 (6.4%) of the total albums mentioned, and 16/251 (also 6.4%) of the total artists listed. Zeppelin, Daft Punk, Bowie, and Kraftwerk were all on the Big List™, but only received one or two votes per album.

And algunz, because there were so many ties, I chose not to give them final numbered rankings. If you want to look at it that way, "OK Computer" is #1 (with 20 votes), "Nevermind" and "Kid A" are tied for #2 (with 9 votes each), "Dark Side of the Moon" and "VU & Nico" are tied for #3 (with 7 votes each), etc. Giving the albums numbered rankings seemed less interesting than just seeing how many times certain albums showed up.

Also, I didn't attempt to interpret individual rankings in any way. Some people listed their albums in order of importance, but some people listed them chronologically, and a lot specifically said they weren't listed in any particular order. Thus, simply counting the frequency with which albums appeared seemed to be the most accurate thing to do.

P.S. The stats I mention in this post are no longer accurate as of the time listed below. However, if you're able to do simple math, you can recalculate them for yourselves.

ThomThom
03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Love the list Roberto, thanks for tallying it all up, Interpol and The Strokes definitely explains the age bracket here but so do some of those other albums for people of other ages, I did include those two, they were a very important part of my college years in New York (of course)

Yablonowitz
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
no bowie? that makes me sad. i agree on interpol and strokes. good bands but not really right in this list.

I disagree. The initial thread asked for personally influential albums...not historically influential albums. It makes complete sense to me that the Strokes were an influential band personally to a lot of people on this board. Although, I would have also expected to see The White Stripes - both bands had pretty significant impact on musical trends in the late 90's.

chunk
03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
no slanted and enchanted is a little surprising. i remember that album being so revered at one time. almost untouchable.

ghettojournalist
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
no slanted and enchanted is a little surprising. i remember that album being so revered at one time. almost untouchable.

it is a marvelous album, one of the best of all-time, but i am surprised there are no R.E.M. albums.
i din't include them on my list for some reason, but i don't know why others left them off.

SojuGorae
03-21-2007, 02:30 PM
So, it's official (at least on these boards)...

OK Computer > Kid A

Kid A nuthuggers, OWNED
http://headrush.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/screaming_womansmall1.jpg

My level of maturity(or lack thereof) is simply stunning.

chunk
03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
i wished i would have participated. but i dont think i would of had any rem either. weird, because i listened to them for quite a while in highschool. i guess sometimes the later work and subsequent popularity tends to cloud your memory of how much you used to love them. now, all i think about is andy kaufmann when i think rem.

and also, with all the mbv love you cant get away from in here, loveless not making the list is also surprising.

bballarl
03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Loveless was either 1 or 2 for me I think.

roberto73
03-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Because there were three stragglers this morning, I've updated the list at the top of this thread to reflect their votes. In some ways it helped to clarify things (no tie for second and third places, for instance), and it also allowed for the appearance of a couple previously unrepresented artists: Prince and Bruce Springsteen. A few other bands moved up a notch (Interpol, The Smiths, Jeff Buckley). Check the list for the full results.

PotVsKtl
03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Fuck the Beatles.

vinylmartyr
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
I disagree. The initial thread asked for personally influential albums...not historically influential albums. It makes complete sense to me that the Strokes were an influential band personally to a lot of people on this board. Although, I would have also expected to see The White Stripes - both bands had pretty significant impact on musical trends in the late 90's.

The Strokes 1st album came out in 2001 and the White Stripes 1st EP came out in 99. Neither had any impact in the late 90's.

SojuGorae
03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
But they sure had an impact on the fashion sense of millions of 20-somethings.

Yablonowitz
03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
The Strokes 1st album came out in 2001 and the White Stripes 1st EP came out in 99. Neither had any impact in the late 90's.

I'm so old, Jeff, these years all blend together now.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm surprised that Nirvana was ahead of The Pixies. No Pixies = No Nevermind.

TomAz
03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
props to roberto for compiling this in such a scientific way. outstanding job. outstanding avatar too.

a few comments:

anyone who voted for Sgt Pepper over the White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, or Abbey Road is a dickhead.

OK Computer beat out Kid A but Kid A still came in 3rd place.

There are two albums on there that I have never heard. I will listen to them soon.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
props to roberto for compiling this in such a scientific way. outstanding job. outstanding avatar too.

a few comments:

anyone who voted for Sgt Pepper over the White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, or Abbey Road is a dickhead.

There are two albums on there that I have never heard. I will listen to them soon.

As a matter of interest, which two?

I'm asking cos there's two for me also...

TomAz
03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
my two are Neutral Milk Hotel and Jeff Buckley.

PotVsKtl
03-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm surprised that Nirvana was ahead of The Pixies. No Pixies = No Nevermind.

No Wipers no Nirvana. No MC5 no Wipers. No Chuck Berry no MC5. Where are these artists? Who cares?

PotVsKtl
03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
iw80nob1MvQ

full on idle
03-21-2007, 09:45 PM
so funny I FORGOT TO LAUGH, boss

mountmccabe
03-22-2007, 09:06 AM

As a matter of interest, which two?

I'm asking cos there's two for me also...

Tom wasn't trying to be funny.

Also when I said I liked all those albums I missed the fact that Grace was up there.

mob roulette
03-22-2007, 09:35 AM
No Wipers no Nirvana. No MC5 no Wipers. No Chuck Berry no MC5. Where are these artists? Who cares?

you're my boy blue. well said.

no millions of dead cops, no nirvana. no melvins, no nirvana. no motherfucking CHEAP TRICK, no nirvana.

just saying.

roberto73
03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
A few people have asked about bands that seem influential but didn't make the list at the top of this thread. Here's a few bands that showed up in the votes, but not in numbers significant enough to make the list:

5 different albums appearing
U2 (War; The Joshua Tree; Achtung Baby; Zooropa; All That You Can't Leave Behind)

4 different albums appearing
David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust; Low; Hunky Dory; Changesbowie)
R.E.M. (Reckoning; Life's Rich Pageant; Green; Automatic for the People)

3 different albums appearing
The Chemical Brothers (Exit Planet Dust; Dig Your Own Hole; Push the Button)
Elvis Costello (This Year's Model; Armed Forces; Imperial Bedroom)
Depeche Mode (Black Celebration; Music for the Masses; Violator)
Fugazi (13 Songs; Repeater; Red Medicine)
Jimi Hendrix (Axis: Bold as Love; Are You Experienced?; Band of Gypsies)
Kraftwerk (Autobahn; Trans-Europe Express; The Man-Machine)
Public Enemy (It Takes a Nation of Millions ...; Fear of a Black Planet; Apocalypse '91)
Elliott Smith (Either/Or; Figure 8; From a Basement on the Hill)
Talking Heads (Fear of Music; Remain in Light; Speaking in Tongues)

And just so you know, Led Zeppelin was only mentioned three times: one vote for their second album, two votes for their fourth.

It also might be worth mentioning that, in terms of total albums voted for, there was a five-way tie for first place: The Beatles, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and U2. They all had five different albums voted for.

i_like_cake530
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Also, no Daft Punk?

hell ya. where is zeppelin? where are the stones? the grateful dead? bob dylan?

mountmccabe
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
This was from a thread about albums that were personally influential to you and your music taste. I put a fucking Bon Jovi album on my list because they were in the right place at the right time.

By the time I really heard and got into Dylan I was rather set, musically. One draft of my list did have a Zeppelin album, though, as they were a band I heard young and bought albums by.

At any rate this list has nothing to do with best albums ever or most important albums or any such thing.

sydaud
03-22-2007, 06:13 PM

a few comments:

As I listed Abbey Road I have avoided the Dickhead moniker. If someone is going to list Sgt Pepper, they may as well say Revolver, because just about all the ideas on Sgt Pepper are done better on that album.

Great job on the gathering and posting Roberto---good stuff!

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-22-2007, 06:36 PM

No PotVsKtl, no annoying pain in the ass posts...

Actually, not true. We still have Delta...

PotVsKtl
03-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah I hate perspective as well. Hulk back to your fucktomb crawface.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah I hate perspective as well. Hulk back to your fucktomb crawface.

:lips

roberto73
03-23-2007, 07:04 PM
For anyone wanting to argue the fallibility of the list based on the non-appearance of artists like Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead, etc., it might worth looking at the prompt that started the "Influential Albums" thread:

What would you say are the ten most influential albums on your life? You can interpret influential in a number of ways: the 10 albums that shaped your current musical tastes, the 10 albums that you consider most important to your life from a meaning standpoint, etc.

I don't think anyone would argue the influence of any of those older artists on contemporary music. But that wasn't the point of the original thread, and therefore not the point of the summarized list. To name the albums that influenced us personally, we don't have to follow any mandates other than our choices have to be personal.

In short, it's a list of music we like. Based on that criteria, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to assail its accuracy.