PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist

ayalael87
02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Hey guys
I'm currently in the process of purchasing a pass and car camping pass from a user on craigslist. i've been in contact with this guy for about 2 weeks now and he's decided on me for this business transaction.
this is my first time purchasing something from someone relatively far away over the internet which induces a high risk of scamming, however i wanted to ask what the best possible and secure way that this person and I can make this transaction?

pay pal
ebay?

i'm not really sure what the process is for this situation.

butterz
02-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Are you local?

Passes are coming in just wait until he gets it and meet in a public place. There are some pictures of the passes on here check them out first.

If you are not local. Paypal works. Iv had good times with them even when recovering money. Ebay uses paypal no point in paying ebay fees just to use paypal.

Local is REALLY the way to go with these.

fibes
02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
yea if possible meet at a place with public wifi and register the wristbands together as well...

Robin
02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I helped a friend secure passes via 3rd party. We took over the seller's Frontgate account, and changed all her info to his AND changed the password for the time being. Used PayPal as the source of payment.

3chnalava
02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
paypal can be pretty safe if done correctly. ask the seller to create an invoice on paypal and CLEARLY state the terms of agreement (i.e. he/she ships the ticket with a tracking number before certain date). If he/she doesn't adhere to the terms of agreement on the invoice, you have 45 days to file a claim through PayPal and get your money back. As a second tier of security, you can pay by credit card through paypal. If paypal can't do something for you, you might be able to do a chargeback with your credit card (call them and see what their policy is).

a lot of people get scared away from doing business with strangers online (and they should be) but it is not as black/white as people think.

Local meetups are great as well but they too have dangers. My friend met up locally to purchase a ticket to a show once and was sold fake printouts. It was a simple ticketmaster hard tickets but it looked exactly like my real ticket. Long story short, when dealing locally with cash, there's absolutely now way to get money back if anything goes wrong.

just my thoughts

kreutz2112
02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
I helped a friend secure passes via 3rd party. We took over the seller's Frontgate account, and changed all her info to his AND changed the password for the time being. Used PayPal as the source of payment.

This is what I did too.

Stickjohn
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
It's getting late to be changing shipping addresses at Frontgate but it's still reasonable to ask for copies of emails, receipts, etc. from the seller to try to verify he or she originally purchased the passes from Frontgate. If the reply is something like "my friend is in a band" I would run.

The part about being in contact for two weeks and deciding on you for the business transaction sounded strange to me. "Deciding on your for the business transaction" sounds like scam language, but maybe it's just your writing (no offense intended.)