PDA

View Full Version : Flying / Camping Gear

jfu222
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi All,

I've never actually flown to a destination and then camped (always drive to the destination)

Does anyone have any tips on what to bring, how to pack, and what to carry on the plane instead of underneath?

For example - Should I carry on board my tent poles? (for dome and solar shower) or do you think they are safe attached to a frame pack?

Obviously some things have to go with luggage because they are banned from carry on (sharp objects ..etc), but I guess tent poles would be fine?

Thanks in advance! :D

blueduck
02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
You should ship it to the local post office and pick it up when you get off the plane!

Stickjohn
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't think exposed poles (strapped to a backpack frame) are a good idea. Also, think about shoulder straps, waist belt, getting caught in conveyor belts. Some people wrap securely in duct tape, or you might consider putting the pack in a really cheap duffle bag or even a backpack cover designed for airline travel.
(http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___65567)
I've never checked a frame backpack but can fit a tent, queen size airbed, blankie, and lightweight shade canopy (Kelty) w/some misc stuff in a large duffle w/wheels and backpack straps and keep it barely under 50 pounds. I also cram as much as I can into a small pack I carry on.

jfu222
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks blueduck! Definitely a good idea but I think I'm leaning towards a solution that wouldn't require any extra stops. Just looking to get off the plane and hit the road!

jfu222
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Awesome advice Stickjohn! I can probably just take the poles with me on the plane and as you mentioned just get a dufflebag and gear that up. Thank you!

MistaGlitch
02-16-2012, 10:51 AM
You can always NOT fly with your gear. REI loves to let you borrow their stuff....

Courtney
02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah, honestly, flying with gear is about 80% of the reason I am losing enthusiasm for Coachella right now. I'm slowly starting to realize what a huge (and expensive) pain in the ass it is to fly in and camp.

blueduck
02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah, honestly, flying with gear is about 80% of the reason I am losing enthusiasm for Coachella right now. I'm slowly starting to realize what a huge (and expensive) pain in the ass it is to fly in and camp.
campings worth it.

NachoCat
02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Bring what you can, buy the rest at walmart. Its not that expensive. Not that hard yo

jfu222
02-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah for sure Puma .. The only real stuff i am bringing on the plane is a tent, sleeping bag, and a solar shower tent... On my way from LAX I'll be looking for a wall mart for just about everything else.

The only option i am weighing right now is if it's worth buying a cheap easy-z up for additional shelter ... I'm a desert virgin, but i know how key it is to have additional shade at these festivals. Just hate spending $100 for a 3 day shelter.

TheClares
02-17-2012, 11:07 AM
If you are camping with people who are driving in, I would highly recommend making a list of what you are thinking of bringing and sharing that list with your friends to see what you can borrow and share with them (I am looking at you Courtney). Things like lanterns, cooking equipment, portable showers, mattress inflators, etc are most likely unneeded by the the flying camper. When I camped alone across the country last summer, I brought one air mattress (and inflator), a pillow and blanket, and small stuff like my knife (in checked luggage) and favorite tent stakes, car inverter and extension cord, and not much else. I borrowed a tent, and went to a 24 hour walmart on the way. I spent about $50 buying a cheap 6 pack sized cooler (which I managed to bring home in my luggage later), rope, 2 tarps, folding chair, sleeping bag and other small necessities. If you can't fit what you need into a large checked bag, then you probably should be buying it at your destination. If you want to keep it after using it, buy it at your destination and buy a cheap but large duffle bag to ship it back, and only pay to check those items once.