PDA

View Full Version : Kings of Leon...anybody?

Carlo Von Sexron
01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I guess it's early still, but what's with the seeming lack of excitement for Kings of Leon? Only one other person even had them on their list in the Top 10 Acts thread. They are going to kill it! Too bad they'll probably be stuck in the Mojave in the afternoon or something, but I can't wait to see them.
I just don't understand why they never have (and probably never will) made it big in the States. Too much country-influence maybe? Tough to understand vocals?
Oh well...I'm counting on being able to get an up-close spot for their set.

steakeatingboss
01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
not even if i were retarded.

dallascoachella
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I've seen them twice in a small club here in Dallas and they were fantastic. I think they are a great club act, but I don't know how it would translate on a larger stage. They have great intensity, but they aren't the most charasmatic band I've ever seen...

idrive1life
01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Not in my Top 10 must-see but I love their songs. Somebody said (in who have you seen live thread) they are boring live. However, would like to see them perform and I'll probably watch them barring any major conflict.

Momoschaf
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
they rock, i like them a lot. don't know if they would be in my top ten list, tho...

Alicious
01-23-2007, 01:23 AM
i cant wait to see these guys.ive heard they're amazing live.theyd be in my top 5 definitely!!!

paulb
01-23-2007, 01:30 AM
I like the Kings of Leon, saw them open for U2, and i fell asleep during their set...but saw them open for Dylan, and it was excellent! They are def on my list to see there....

bmack86
01-23-2007, 01:43 AM
i saw them at the roxy in 05 and they just weren't very good. They sounded bored and looked boring.

bmack86
01-23-2007, 01:44 AM
and, let me add, i went to the show because i'm a fan of their albums. They're both really good. My friend had seen them twice before and said that he was underwhelmed both times.

jaykayem
01-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Seen them live here in the UK a couple of times - while we love the Kings this side of the pond, they pretty much stink live. But hell, check em out for yourself - might be a different story in the US sunshine!

piperatthegates
01-23-2007, 02:46 AM
McDonalds music is taking over and Kings Of Leon are a breath of fresh air amongst a lot of bullshit that's out there at the moment. The vocals are purely original and its a quality sound thats hard to find. Dirty southern rock!!!
Keep doin that shit KOL cant wait to see you in Ireland again, until then i'll have to come to California

Peabs42177
01-23-2007, 03:54 AM
One of my favorite acts. I am most definitely excited.

sonofhal
01-23-2007, 03:58 AM
They were pretty bad when i saw them live too (at the garage in London) - It was before the 1st album came out. I'd only heard Mollys Chambers, but the night was so uninspiring, i never even bought the 1st album.

2nd one was ok tho

staggerlee
01-23-2007, 03:58 AM
Can't understand the muted views for their live shows. I've seen them 4 times at different stages of their career and they have never failed to deliver a kick-ass live show. First time I saw them was in the new bands tent at Glastonbury, twice in the UK at small venues and at the Roseland ballroom in New York.

The crowd reaction at all the shows was great even the New York show which surprised me as we had been to other band's shows in the states where the audience reaction was underwhelming to say the least.

They're not hip, not trendy just straight forward southern rock but they do it very well, worth checking out.

shotglass75
01-23-2007, 04:59 AM
KOL put on an amazing live show. Full of energy!!!! You might not have any idea what the hell he is singing but it is great bare bones rock n' roll!!!

woogie846
01-23-2007, 05:11 AM
I really like their albums, so I'll probably end up seeing them. And if I don't like it, I'll just catch someone else's set.

im so indie
01-23-2007, 06:19 AM
I put together a Coachella playlist for my MP3 last night at work and every time Kings came on it brought a smile to my face. There are lots of great acts this year, but depending on time slot and stage, Kings should be one of the memorable performances from 07

ezrakel
01-23-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing them live ,they probably are my favorite band right now!!

Alchemy
01-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I wanted Kings of Convenience. I feel like I got their equivalent of "Sam's Choice Soda".

Just kidding, Kings of Leon are okay. It is just that there are other great bands on their day that sort of take away from their excitement factor.

Brandon
01-23-2007, 08:13 AM
i saw kings of leon at glastonbury festival in england and i dint no em that well, but they were still pretty good. the crowd loved em.
after that show i started liking em, but i dont have a clue wherew they have gone. been soo quiet aint heard nothing of em, sooo i honestlky cant wait to see em again

Verbal138
01-23-2007, 08:37 AM
I think I'm in the same boat as a lot of people. I've seen them twice, first time was awesome. Tons of energy good ground interaction... second time though seem uninspired and distant. They always play pretty 'tight' though, it seems sometimes they just don't put much energy into their sets. I would assume at a big festival like coachella that they'd play with a lot of energy.

Verbal138
01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
but i dont have a clue wherew they have gone. been soo quiet aint heard nothing of em, sooo i honestlky cant wait to see em again

They've been working on a new album, it should be done or close to it by then.

Peabs42177
01-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Caught KoL at Tastefest in Detroit last summer and they debuted four or five new songs, all of which were "anthemic." They put on a fantastic show.

arzynik
01-23-2007, 09:15 AM
kol has made it in the top 10 charts of many indie magazines, and even top 1 on some ocassions (for best band of the year). I love kol and im totlay stoked to see em.

Meeshu
01-23-2007, 11:31 AM
They've been working on a new album, it should be done or close to it by then.

Yup - new album out on the 3rd of April in the US and the 2nd in Uk and Ireland. Would love to see them again, on their home turf this time :)

Carlo Von Sexron
01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised to hear so many negative comments on their live show. But what it sounds like from these posts and all the articles I've read on them, is that they were burnt out on their most recent tour. Early on after their first album came out they were excited to tour and certainly thought that commercial success would follow all their critical praise (I missed them on their first tour...Caleb had laryngitis or something and they cancelled here). But after their second album flopped commercially, and opening for U2 and Pearl Jam didn't lead to anything, I think they became mildy depressed about why they weren't making it big in the States, and that may have led to their stale live shows.

Hopefuly the new album will be more widely received and they'll come in to Coachella ready to jumpstart things again, leading to a kick-ass performance.

bingo_caller
01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
i dont understand there not big over there.

There fuckin adored in england.
THere amazing, this is just about rage tho.

dj_deathskiss
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I saw them a few years ago in a Nashville club and they were amazing. I just hope they sound as good in a larger, open setting.

fatbastard
01-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I seen Kings of Leon open for U2 in Anaheim. It's going to be something to see them live!

woogie846
01-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I hope the new album is out in time, it would be really cool to hear some new stuff.

McFearless
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I have seen the Kings 12 times within the past 3 years. They never fail to impress me. While some would say it is uninsipired, I beg to differ. Their live show, though they may not seem enthusiastic, it is just that they don't feel the need to jump around in order to compinsate for anything. They aren't much for talking either. Come on, what can you expect. They are southern boys?...

disgustipated
01-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I have seen them a few times in small clubs in Austin, some good others not so good. But I can say they were one of the highlights of this years Austin City Limits Festival. They were full of energy, not going "ape shit" or anything, but really into the whole scene, they were actually cut off so the nect act could go on.

Im excited to them them!

matsuolost
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
i liked them that year

rage patton
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
I like the Kings of Leon, saw them open for U2, and i fell asleep during their set...but saw them open for Dylan, and it was excellent! They are def on my list to see there....

I read this and I was like... "WTF!?" Then I noticed this thread was started in 2007.

travelfan
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Hah, I was like WTF at daytime in the Mojave...assumed it was somebody trying to troll, then saw the dates and all made sense.

Phantasma Del Mar
01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
I just don't understand why they never have (and probably never will) made it big in the States. Too much country-influence maybe? Tough to understand vocals?

lol

pachucasunrise
01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
They were actually the second band I ever saw live. Pretty bad way to start the list...

Rorschach
01-25-2011, 07:42 PM
They suck live. Enough said. Their work is amazing though.

nathanfairchild
01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
They suck live. Enough said. Their work is shit though.

fixed

BayAreaIsBetter
01-25-2011, 07:56 PM
The one good thing about this is the chicks it's going to attract.

heart cooks brain
01-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Seriously? The level of stupidity on the first page of this thread is nauseating.

BayAreaIsBetter
01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I guess it's early still, but what's with the seeming lack of excitement for Kings of Leon? Only one other person even had them on their list in the Top 10 Acts thread. They are going to kill it! Too bad they'll probably be stuck in the Mojave in the afternoon or something, but I can't wait to see them.
Oh well...I'm counting on being able to get an up-close spot for their set.

Wow.

wow

nathanfairchild
01-25-2011, 08:16 PM
^ if only he was right

daxton
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Nope. Nobody.

untzcrate
01-25-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm excited.

Fuck the haters.

nathanfairchild
01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
^ you shouldn't be, they're on the same level as Neon Trees

heart cooks brain
01-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Does Neon Trees have lazerz? It sounds like they should...

bluemamba
01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
^ you shouldn't be, they're on the same level as Neon Trees

no way. Neon Trees are on a whole level of sheit all on their own. KOL actually did something good........ once upon a time..... but at least they once had something.

lullabynoir
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
saw them back in '07.. it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. their lackluster material as of late, coupled with their growing arrogant douchebaggery makes it clear to me the show worth watching will be the chemical brothers.

juloxx
01-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I have seen the Kings 12 times within the past 3 years.

siggable

ballroomdancer22
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=McFearless;10767]I have seen the Kings 12 times within the past 3 years.=QUOTE]

Ban worthy.

fixed.

nathanfairchild
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Ban worthy.

fixed.

agreed

ballroomdancer22

Ban worthy.

fixed

BayAreaIsBetter
Classic.

Im prolly ganna see the chemicals too

ballroomdancer22
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
^^^ absolutely

jamesc2929
01-26-2011, 03:14 AM
I have seen the Kings 12 times within the past 3 years. They never fail to impress me. While some would say it is uninsipired, I beg to differ. Their live show, though they may not seem enthusiastic, it is just that they don't feel the need to jump around in order to compinsate for anything. They aren't much for talking either. Come on, what can you expect. They are southern boys?...

Anyone that has sat through their pathetic shows 12x deserves what they get. I've also been forced to sit through them a few times, and they plain and simple SUCK IT live!!!! And all the lights and mascara won't mask horrible uninspired music and lyrics. A brutal headliner on every level. KOL is even a worse choice than Kanye. I be at another Coachella, but I 'll be far, far away from this bro fest. RUN....

fnmore
01-26-2011, 06:18 AM
to anyone who hates them.......watch this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgL1MX4XMoI&feature=related

then watch this old clip

http://www.spike.com/video/bucket-kings-of-leon/2658587

when they were good, nobody was listening to them

but they have paid their dues even though I think they are boring as fuck live

frizbee9
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
when they were good, nobody was listening to them

i watched them for the 1st time at coachella in '07 and it was really cool. i still like their 1st 3 albums alot. but....the last 2 albums are pretty hard to defend. i watched them at a kroq show in 2009 & they played stuff off their hit album & it was hollow to me. but it didn't make me hate the albums i used to like, which is more than i can say about gorillaz from last year. that crapfest performance retroactively ruined my enjoyment of their albums for me. haven't listened to gorillaz since.

either way, i won't watch kol at coachella

'sex on fire' at coachella..WTF

rjadams90
01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
If they promise to only play songs From Y&YMH, Aha Shake, and Because of the times, I'll be there.....Unless their is a conflict with The Chemical Brothers.

In which case I'll be at the Chemical Bros set dancing and having my mind blown by their music and visuals.

weezy f baby
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/26/kings-of-leon-vs-glee-nathan-followill-fires-back-at-ryan-murphy-in-homophobic-rant_n_814351.html

weezy f baby
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Add another item to the "Interviews that expose us for the little pricks we really are"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/26/kings-of-leon-vs-glee-nathan-followill-fires-back-at-ryan-murphy-in-homophobic-rant_n_814351.html

GTFO. Nice double post bro.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4372130/double-posts-double-post-everywhere.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Buzz-light

billypilgrimisunstuck
01-26-2011, 12:15 PM
GTFO. Nice double post bro.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4372130/double-posts-double-post-everywhere.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Buzz-light

2SIQ, LADYBRO!

nathanfairchild
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM

What an odd feud.

McFearless
01-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Anyone that has sat through their pathetic shows 12x deserves what they get. I've also been forced to sit through them a few times, and they plain and simple SUCK IT live!!!! And all the lights and mascara won't mask horrible uninspired music and lyrics. A brutal headliner on every level. KOL is even a worse choice than Kanye. I be at another Coachella, but I 'll be far, far away from this bro fest. RUN....

Haha. First off, LOL @ mascara. They aren't the Killers. You all need to look at the date of that post. That was back in 2007. 2 years before the shitfest that is their 4th album was even out. I got to see them play their best shows from earlier in their careers. I still defend them today because I know what their capable of. I also will watch them this year mostly because I'm a creature of habit. I'm hoping this inundation of hate they are receiving will convince them to take a solid break and look at their life choices and bring back some good music for their 6th album...

jamesc2929
01-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Haha. First off, LOL @ mascara. They aren't the Killers. You all need to look at the date of that post. That was back in 2007. 2 years before the shitfest that is their 4th album was even out. I got to see them play their best shows from earlier in their careers. I still defend them today because I know what their capable of. I also will watch them this year mostly because I'm a creature of habit. I'm hoping this inundation of hate they are receiving will convince them to take a solid break and look at their life choices and bring back some good music for their 6th album...

Something tells me we are going to have them forever. They will still suck on their 16th studio album.