PDA

View Full Version : 10 year high school reunion.

MoSetsfire
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Ok so, my 10 year HS reunion is coming up and Im torn about going. Any stories? anecdotes? advice?

PS i was a quiet kid with very controlling parents growing up. i dont really have any cool High school experiences. It wasnt til i got to college that found drugs, freedom and fun.

weeklymix
02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
You should go if:
A) There are people you'd really enjoy seeing.
B) You've done better in life post-graduation than people who were mean to you.
C) You have a hot significant other.
D) You're hotter now than you ever were in high school.

Robin
02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I skipped mine. From the stories I heard, I didn't miss much.
People were still super cliquey.
(I was ridiculously unpopular, as well)

MoSetsfire
02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I skipped mine. From the stories I heard, I didn't miss much.
People were still super cliquey.
(I was ridiculously unpopular, as well)

This is what Im concerned about actually. I wouldnt mind seeing some people and I'm above the whole I succeeded more than you bit. I just didnt have a close group of high school friends and I think it would just be boring night.

weeklymix
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I have 4 years to become a zillionaire and still not go to my reunion.

OnlyNonStranger
02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Mine is this year as well. I've already decided against going, even though I fill all four of weekly's reasons. I also live in Canada and the reunion is in Louisiana.

Robin
02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
If you're in serious debate about it, then go. What do you have to lose? You might end up having a good time, instead of wondering if fun times were to be had.

I probably would have gone to mine if it was feasible for me. It just happened to have been planned over Thanksgiving weekend, and my parents were visiting.

betao
02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I won't go to any of my high school reunions. I didn't like high school, I didn't care for alot of the people that went to my high school, and anyone I wanted to keep up with after high school I currently keep in touch with.

scenicworld
02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I skipped my 10 year reunion and my 20 year reunion is this year (GASP!!!!). I plan to skip it as well.

I figure that with facebook and email, there really isn't that much of a need to see old classmates and "catch up". besides, I'm still in touch those people that I cared enough to keep in touch with, and those that I didn't, I really don't care one way or the other.

most of my friends were either grade or 2 above or below my class anyways.

chiapet
02-13-2012, 03:11 PM
HS was good to me / I was popular, and I still didn't feel it was worth going to the 10 year reunion. I live pretty far away from from my school, so it would have necessitated vacation time/spending, and I opted to take a different vacation instead.

My 20 year will be in a couple of years, I'll probably end up going to that one though it's not really among my top priorities....

mountmccabe
02-13-2012, 03:23 PM
What sort of event(s) are they having?

My 10-year had a casual drinks/mingling by the pool evening on Friday and then a formal dinner and dancing on Saturday.

I convinced some friends (same class) to go and we had a great time. It was good enough that most of them went the second night, too... and found it horribly boring.

That is, if the event sounds to your taste anyway, I say go.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
That is, if the event sounds to your taste anyway, I say go.

This is all you need to think about, really. My reunion was a a buffet at a cool place with 3 hours of premium open bar for $60, so it was pretty awesome. I also had several friends coming in from out of town that I normally hang out with anyway, but i ended up having a LOT of fun seeing lots of folks I hadn't really spoken to in 10 years. I took a shot and threw up in a trash can. it was awesome.

Mugwog
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm shooting a film next week about a guy who is attending his 10 year reunion. In discussion for preproduction, we've talked about how reunions now adays really aren't about catching up with people.

Basically 3 goals come to reunions:
A: Hook up with someone
B: Show everyone your new status in the world and that you're better than everyone
C: Show off your kids (as that is your life)

Facebook gives us all of this; so unless you're really interested in any of the 3 topics above. I would ween away. You are most likely already in contact with everyone who you want to know from high school.

Watch the Party Down episode of Ron's reunion for an entertaining example

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
it's true, having people as facebook friends is much more rewarding than speaking to them face to face.

menikmati
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Skip it. Why go just to see the chicks you couldn't bang then, and can't bang now.

nathanfairchild
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
every friend that i cared about staying in touch with i have. no need for a reunion if it's going to be a bunch of people you don't care about.

algunz
02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I have had fun at all my reunions. I had my 20 year in 2010. I was relatively popular and had friends from all different groups. Go with no expectations and an open mind. If it sucks you can leave and go pick up chicks at the hotel bar. I'm assuming it's a hotel. 10 years usually are.

flowbee
02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I missed mine by now. I thought they were supposed to track you down and send you an invitation at least that's how it went in my mind. Nothin'. Oh well I'll go to the next one, maybe.

JorgeC
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
go and have fun. i went to my 10 and had a blast. I don't keep in touch with many people (maybe 4). Just about everyone is on FB, but it's nice to catch up in person.

Courtney
02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I skipped mine, but only because I live 6000 miles away. A few of my good friends attended, and I very much enjoyed getting the post-party debrief on who hooked up with who.

I say go.

suprefan
02-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok so, my 10 year HS reunion is coming up and Im torn about going. Any stories? anecdotes? advice?

PS i was a quiet kid with very controlling parents growing up. i dont really have any cool High school experiences. It wasnt til i got to college that found drugs, freedom and fun.

Wear a t shirt that says ''kanye is king'' and see how that goes.

MoSetsfire
02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Depends on the dresscode Supre. The reunion isnt until the summer. I just never even thought about it. caught me off guard. Plus real talk, I cant believe its been a decade already.

fatbastard
02-13-2012, 06:55 PM
I never spent much time at school. Made a couple of friends but never kept in contact. The wife on the other hand still has friends from the 3rd grade.

Why are you going and what do you expect to take away from it?

MoSetsfire
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
i dont know why I want to go. Part of me feels compelled to because of the friends I did have in HS. It would be cool to see some of them again. Other than that im pretty indifferent, and no one there will be themselves anyway. No one wants their once in a decade impression to be any less than super stellar. Thats really the concern that turns me off to the idea the most.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-13-2012, 09:00 PM
i dont know why I want to go. Part of me feels compelled to because of the friends I did have in HS. It would be cool to see some of them again. Other than that im pretty indifferent, and no one there will be themselves anyway. No one wants their once in a decade impression to be any less than super stellar. Thats really the concern that turns me off to the idea the most.

Based on my experience, I would say that this is incredibly untrue.

mountmccabe
02-14-2012, 05:45 AM
I am sure it depends on the type of high school you went to but for my suburban public high school - on the casual evening - it was relaxed and reasonable. No one arrived on a helicopter or anything, even the guy who had just won the Indy 500.

fatbastard
02-14-2012, 06:11 AM
People remember me for being able to eat 10 sloppy joes in one sitting. People actually expected me to do this at the reunion.