PDA

View Full Version : I have dum friends

xuclarockerx
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
None of my friends care about Coachella, or they act like they do and then say they can't afford it.

I first went in 07 with some people I knew in college and it was a life-changing experience. I am cursed with the need to share things I love with others, so I took my family to Friday in 09 to see Paul McCartney. Ever since then I have tried to convince friends to go, to no avail. Too expensive, don't know enough bands, etc. The lack of single day tickets has really hindered my attempts.

This year I purchased 4 tickets and a car camping pass for Weekend 1 in the presale, due to last year's quick sellout. If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made. I am resolved to succeed. I have been doing daily Coachella posts on Facebook with videos of artists on the lineup. I've received a few wishy washy responses, a couple that appear just interested in buying a ticket(s) off me, and at least one interested party that I would never consider taking.

So yeah, I have shitty friends. Any suggestions on how I can best seal the deal short of discounting tickets/kidnapping people?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg

malcolmjamalawesome
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
What the fuck is wrong with you

Gregorio
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
This is where having a girlfriend is convenient. I just tell her what shows or festivals we're going to and when. I'm willing to pay the extra cost to not have to deal with planning / talking friends into going.

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Thread title irony.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Just sell the tickets, you buffoon. What advice could we give here? Should we create companions for you?

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I mean, if you can't find friends who will literally TAKE a Coachella pass from you that you offer then, well, what exactly IS wrong with you?

xuclarockerx
02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I am not offering the tickets for free. I would like to receive back what I paid for them. I made this clear in the original post when I said "short of discounting tickets".

heart cooks brain
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Thread title irony.

i lol'd

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I am not offering the tickets for free. I would like to receive back what I paid for them. I made this clear in the original post when I said "short of discounting tickets".

The sentence, "If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made", led me to believe you bought four passes in order to allocate them to three other friends for no charge.

So you bought four passes out of hope that three other friends would buy them off of you, despite the fact that your friends admittedly suck? You should take a different approach next year.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I still don't get what this dope is asking. He appears to be completely overwhelmed by the process of selling his tickets, to a sold out festival, not at a discount.

xuclarockerx
02-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Not simply trying to "sell my tickets" dood. I could do that easily. Do you not understand the distinction between selling off tickets and trying to talk friends into going?

Distorted_Jungle
02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Stop hanging out with shitty people. In all honesty though, them not wanting to go this year is justified due to the lineup. You could give me a ticket for free and I wouldn't go because of the time it takes to go that I could spend going to another far better festival.

scenicworld
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I bought a friend of mine a pass for her first Coachella since she was also pretty wishy-washy on the whole "I can't afford it" and "I don't know enough bands" thing. She' does hair, so I told her to do my hair a few times to make up what she couldn't pay me back in cash so it worked out OK for both of us. Now that she's been, she goes with me every year and has tried to do the same with other friends who give her the same story.

Coachella isn't for everyone.

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Not simply trying to "sell my tickets" dood. I could do that easily. Do you not understand the distinction between selling off tickets and trying to talk friends into going?

I do, but you said, "If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made."

Not, "If I have to sell the tickets to people who are not my friends it will be the saddest money I have ever made."

If you have friends you are trying to SELL passes to, then I understand why they are hesitant. It's a fucking expensive trip and your friends probably aren't hooked on it like you are.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
So, to clarify, you started this thread to ask for advice on how to talk your friends, who you prepurchased tickets for, into going to Coachella?

CellarOwl
02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm conflicted because I want a ticket but I don't want to be your friend.

xuclarockerx
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Haha, some insightful and also funny responses thus far. Look I know what I got myself into when I bought these tickets. There's no time anymore to round people up who aren't already hooked. I'm just half-venting/half-seeing how others got friends to go.

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Sounds like you have a choice to make.

Krsjuan06
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
How much for a ticket?

malcolmjamalawesome
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I got my friends to go by not being a Coward.

nyarlathotoats
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
that was way harsh tai

Natelevmofuggaz
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
You should sell the three other tickets for face value and go by yourself. You will make friends there and have way more fun than bringing someone who is't totally sold.

blackchango
02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I have a couple of friends who DESPERATLEY want to go but were'nt able to get tix on the day they went on sale that Friday. If you would be so kind as to sell these to us we will adopt you into our group and be your gauranteed Coachella friends for LIFE! We have been attending since 1999 and don't plan on ever missing a Coachella EVER. :pulse

CrimesceneCookie
02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I mean, if you can't find friends who will literally TAKE a Coachella pass from you that you offer then, well, what exactly IS wrong with you?

So, to clarify, you started this thread to ask for advice on how to talk your friends, who you prepurchased tickets for, into going to Coachella?

Oh hey, check it out, regular Coachella board members being complete dicks for no reason.
And I'm reading them on the internet!

Oh you guys!

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh hey, check it out, regular Coachella board members being complete dicks for no reason.
And I'm reading them on the internet!

Oh you guys!

Glad I could help you waste 60 seconds of your life.

flowbee
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
If you a sell a ticket to me, I will be your friend.

Neighborhood Creep
02-10-2012, 01:02 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/your_dum_tshirt-p235084968256286076zwkd0_400.jpg

frizzlefry
02-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I have a couple of friends who DESPERATLEY want to go but were'nt able to get tix on the day they went on sale that Friday. If you would be so kind as to sell these to us we will adopt you into our group and be your gauranteed Coachella friends for LIFE! We have been attending since 1999 and don't plan on ever missing a Coachella EVER. :pulse

Fuck this guy he's a tool and so are his friends, my friends and I will adopt your lonely ass if you sell a couple of my friends passes that they desperately need and will enjoy more than anyone else. We have plenty of booze, chemicals, games, and normally a handful of single girls or guys depending on your preference. (Sorry blackchango, I really don't think you're a tool and I don't even have any way of knowing about your friends I just want those tickets for my friends).

windjackass
02-11-2012, 02:26 AM
OP is either dum or a troll....

Oolong
02-11-2012, 10:56 AM
My first Coachella was 2005. Nobody wanted to go except my roommate, but only for the first night when Coldplay played. I drove with her that Saturday & enjoyed my first day at Coachella, but wasn't completely blown away because I had to split time seeing bands my roommate wanted to see. She wasn't a big fan of the experience. We drove back to L.A. that night, I drove back to Coachella the next morning solo & had one of the best days I've ever had at the festival in the 5 years I've gone since.

Each year after that I would always try to get a close group of friends to go with me, but they all had the excuse of money & not enjoying the rigors of multi-day music festivals anymore. For a couple of years I crashed with friends of friends in hotels & pretty much enjoyed the festival by myself or with people I met up with along the way. I never had a bad time and in 2008 finally convinced my best friends from back home to fly out for Roger Waters & Prince. We camped, met some really cool people & had possibly the best weekend I've ever had at Coachella.

Since then my friends have been more gung-ho about going to Coachella than me and they're not even into music as much as I am. The 2010 clusterfuck plus the underwhelming line-up forced us skip last year (a decision we regretted when the weekend passed by). While this years line-up still lacks some of the greatness from pre-2010 chellas, for me it's still an improvement over last years. Perhaps that's just because there are many bands I've never seen this year that i've always wanted to (Pulp, Mazzy Star, Jeff Mangum, etc..). Also, Dre * Snoop > Kanye.... Either way, Coachella is always an amazing get away and one the most fun weekends you'll ever have whether you have to roll their solo or with some people that are going to enjoy themselves as much as you.

daneskiiiz
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
You're friends sound as shitty as my Non-Coachella friends. They just don't get it. I'm fortunate enough to have a large group of friends who understand the magic of Coachella, that I go with every year - but honestly there are so many awesome people to meet AT Coachella. You'd be better of selling the other tickets, going solo and making friends at the campgrounds/inside the festival.

SepaGroove
02-11-2012, 11:10 AM
None of my friends care about Coachella, or they act like they do and then say they can't afford it.

I first went in 07 with some people I knew in college and it was a life-changing experience. I am cursed with the need to share things I love with others, so I took my family to Friday in 09 to see Paul McCartney. Ever since then I have tried to convince friends to go, to no avail. Too expensive, don't know enough bands, etc. The lack of single day tickets has really hindered my attempts.

This year I purchased 4 tickets and a car camping pass for Weekend 1 in the presale, due to last year's quick sellout. If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made. I am resolved to succeed. I have been doing daily Coachella posts on Facebook with videos of artists on the lineup. I've received a few wishy washy responses, a couple that appear just interested in buying a ticket(s) off me, and at least one interested party that I would never consider taking.

So yeah, I have shitty friends. Any suggestions on how I can best seal the deal short of discounting tickets/kidnapping people?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg

Introduce them to your favorite artists that are playing at the festival, or who you think they would like. Ask your friends if they want to go. Tell them they have to give you the full amount that you paid for the tickets though. If they still don't want to go, sell your remaining tickets on StubHub, etc. Why is this so hard for you to figure out?

java-do
02-11-2012, 12:50 PM

I don't see how the promise of drugs an live music didn't work?
If all else fails and you have to sell,please message me.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/5/6/39a8a5cb-1841-44ad-83e7-ce2e72f5b7d4.jpg

captain 66
02-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Most of my friends have no interest in Coachella, but I don't hold that against them. Coachella's greatness is an esoteric concept I guess lol.

verveman77
02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
huge BS, lineup is great. Free ticket and u wouldn't go , I smell horse shit!!!

elbrycen
02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
yeah bro, i have tons of friends that will buy those tickets off you. we have a huge group going and not everyone could get in. we've been adopting people for the past 6 years... we have candy. lots of candy.

xuclarockerx
03-13-2012, 02:35 PM
UPDATE

So I've got a few interested parties. Per the advice of someone I usually trust, I'm setting April 1st as the date by which I need payment for the passes. This is to ensure that I have ample time to unload them on the secondary market, if necessary. I agree with my trusted adviser that I don't want someone saying "yeah sure I'm in" and then pulling out 2 days before, or not paying me.

Is this reasonable?

flowbee
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Nice deadline date and kind of an odd thread you've made. I would say just sell your tickets now to people that actually want them BAD, instead of waiting on your dum facebook friends. Make new friends this year at Coachella, have more of a mind of your own, and be merry.

xuclarockerx
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Are you saying nice deadline date because it's April Fool's Day? I was going to spin it as "you're a fool if you don't go". :rotfl

Why is it odd? I don't think there's anything odd with wanting to share an awesome experience with others.

Put it this way: If you picked up 2 Coachella tickets, for you and a friend, would you expect to be paid well before the actual event?

Mugwog
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Instead of giving a dateline ultimatum for them to decide by; just sell your tickets now to someone who will pay you for it right away.

Was at Laidback Luke the other night and had extra tickets due to flakeouts, sold all tickets super fast to people who were willing to pay face at the entrance. There was this one doofus who wanted to stand in line with us and not pay until he got in, fuck him, we sold the ticket in front of him after all of his weird shadiness.

POINT OF THIS STORY - Your wishy washy friends are the shady kid who will pull out last minute, Robin/SonOfHal are two folks who are solid board members who have asked for passes, same with Goatchella and NachoCat. You'll find coachella is better with people who WANT to be there than people who need a band to sell them a festival.

Also it seems from your poll that you are a sober person, you will easily find folks that party your style who want to go.

Goatchella
03-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I just paid $500 for a ticket for one of my best friends.

He old me he wants to go but he will never spend $300+ going to a concert.
I took care of that problem. Happy birthday motha sucka.

xuclarockerx
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Either

A) your best friend is truly excellent
B) you are filthy rich, or
C) you are dumb with money.

Or some combination thereof.

Goatchella
03-14-2012, 08:02 AM
I am a hood rich, moron with a big heart and really great friends.

If you bought tickets and have no friends to go with you are

A) a clown with tickets and no friends
B) a donkey with no friends and extra tickets
C) a returd scalper with no skills

xuclarockerx
03-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Well I'm no scalper...and I certainly have friends, just not ones with the same ideas of fun and good music that I have. So D) none of the above.

D-BO.
03-14-2012, 08:33 AM

One of the best sentences ever constructed.:thu

xuclarockerx
03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Got one!!!!