PDA

View Full Version : A Thread In Which We Evaluate Attempts To Carve Out Remaining Categorical Niches

PotVsKtl
02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
In an ongoing experiment, the Coachella Message Board [hereafter referred to as CMB] is doing its level best to categorize and compartmentalize human existence so as to bring about an electronic message board in which the threat of unfamiliar or not properly bucketized experience is effectively nil. There will no longer exist a need to personalize individual contributions, nor to construct thoughts in a manner which might be individually appealing. Premised upon the hypothesis that all psuedo-human interactions boil down to a pachinko match with varying predetermined outcomes, this thread will evaluate the soundness of this approach's inherent logic.

Case study
Day, quality of

Buckets identified
The Bad Mood Thread
The Great Mood Thread
The mediocre/to good mood thread.

Had CMB stopped after the initial two polarly opposed entries, this would be a quick study. However, a third bucket introduces the concept of day quality ambiguity. In this construct a problem immediately becomes apparent. Has CMB failed to account for mediocre/to bad? Or has CMB simply declined to comment on this particular aspect of human existence?

Here an additional outlier presents itself:

C'mon Mood Shift, Shift Back to Good Again

PineapplePete introduces us to a new "mood" concept; that of the aspirational day quality transition. Note for clarity, day quality is not currently transitional but the desire for transition exists. Given the seemingly settled good/mediocre/bad set of possible end-states, and the possiblity for both ascending and descending transitions, CMB has bypassed or overlooked fully 75% of all aspirational-transitional day quality buckets.

This is a disturbing trend that will need to be addressed in the near to semi-near future. Please assist me in rooting out and obliterating all unbucketized human folly, so that a thread like this need never be created again.

Yours In Faith,
PotVsKtl

Goatchella
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Your hurtin.

SoulDischarge
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I never did understand baseball.

TomAz
02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Cognitive ease. Mere exposure effect.

Mugwog
02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
You could just not click on the threads that do not interest you

Goatchella
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Or try logging off and read all the non redundant and very meaningful topics in the newspaper.

TomAz
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
The consequences of repeated exposures benefit the organism in its relations to the immediate animate and inanimate environment. They allow the organism to distinguish object and habitats that are safe from those that are not, and they are the most primitive basis of social attachments. Therefore, they form the basis for social organization and cohesion -- the basic sources of psychological and social stability.

marooko
02-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Someone needs an e-hug.

Cameron Frye
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM

qft

search just needs to be utilized better for thread creation. case studies here may be a TAD overkill

Goatchella
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
It also appears that the primary socialization processes in other social animals contain features highly similar to those of imprinting. It is now well known that early life experiences play a decisive role in the formation of an animal’s or a person’s affectional system. Under normal conditions the first social experiences are with the parents and, in many species, often also with siblings. It is through these early social experiences that individuals become attached to members of their own species. On the other hand, under unusual circumstances, produced either experimentally in a laboratory or accidentally, social attachments to members of an alien species or even to inanimate objects can be formed during the earliest life period.

PotVsKtl
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM

If you aren't willing to assist in identifying unbucketized experience or otherwise calling attention to areas of human existence which have not yet been safely cordoned-off, please do not clutter up the research space with your banal observations.

Stickjohn
02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
I'll catalog the Default thread.

chiapet
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
C'mon Mood Shift, Shift Back to Good Again

I only opened this thread in order to become slightly annoyed with you for yet another pointless, snarky, not even that witty thread, but you had to go and charm me a little with the quote. Hrmph.

(I have nothing more to add actually).

RedHotSgtPeppers
02-06-2012, 11:14 PM
"C'mon Mood Shift, Shift Back to Good Again" sounds like a good album title for the next Explosions in the Sky album.

M Sparks
02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Why? Was their last album called "Letting The Days Go By, Let The Water Hold Me Down"?

RedHotSgtPeppers
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Why? Was their last album called "Letting The Days Go By, Let The Water Hold Me Down"?

Haha I actually didn't realize Come on Mood Shift, Shift Back to Good Again" was a lyric.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
I don't believe we have a thread about wandering to the refrigerator in the middle of the night in one's underwear about 20 times before settling on a pickle wrapped in ham slathered with butter as an acceptable source of sustenance. I think TomAz would be a good candidate to spearhead that initiative.

guedita
02-07-2012, 06:22 AM
A woefully unrepresented category on this board is Hypothetical Scenarios That You Imagine Happening During Those Somewhat Panicky Moments When You Are Driving And Sneeze And Close Your Eyes While You Are Sneezing.

Goatchella
02-07-2012, 07:43 AM
The universe and your heart stops while you sneeze.

Do not worry my hyper allergenic ginger friend

PotVsKtl
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
A woefully unrepresented category on this board is Hypothetical Scenarios That You Imagine Happening During Those Somewhat Panicky Moments When You Are Driving And Sneeze And Close Your Eyes While You Are Sneezing.

A wise man once said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Then he had sex with an underage girl.

algunz
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM

My sister-in-law got into a fender bender while driving and sneezing.

I believe we have a niche here.

guedita
02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Potential psychological reasons why you do, or don't wear socks to sleep.

Guesstimations of how many ounces of metal shavings another board member has ingested

What tooth do you floss first and what 90's music video best represents your choice.

bobert
02-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Then he had sex with an underage girl.

No such thing in India.