PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Practice.

daftmonkey64
01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Thought someone here might have good input. I've been playing guitar several years now, and I've hit kind of a road block as far as progressing. I don't want to pay some dude 40 bucks an hour to show me some new scales or chord progressions. I can only get so much out of learning tabs and watching youtube lessons. Does anybody know a good resource online for guitar practice? Or maybe just a method as to how you practice on your own time?

hawkingvsreeve
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I cant speak for guitar, but playing music with other people teaches you so many things that lessons just cant touch on. If you dont already play with a group, I would start there.

zircona1
01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Go to the library - check out some guitar playing books.

When I practice, I usually warm up playing some kind of scale I'm working on from a book (just to 'stretch' my fingers) before I get into playing chords and stuff. Then I just practice songs I've written or work on a cover or anything else. Right now I'm trying to master barre chords for a song I'm writing.

Goatchella
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Try playing your favorite songs drunk, stoned , kachkane, acid.
Grow your hair out and wear leather.
Get a studio and smoke cigarettes all night and keep playing your same songs over and over.

RedHotSgtPeppers
01-31-2012, 10:06 AM
I'll second playing in a group. I had never played bass guitar when I made a band with some friends in high school. After a year of playing (no lessons) I progressed so much that bass was my best instrument. Still is to this day, nearly 8 years later.

Second thing that helped me tremendously is playing the guitar along with your favorite songs. Not just learn the songs to play on your own, but playing them at the same time as the song. Eventually, you'll pick up on techniques that you hadn't really tried before. Start with songs/bands you are really familiar with (I started with the Beatles) and go from there.

insbordnat
01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
^Agreed. Just buy Eric Johnson's "Ah Via Musicom" and play every track exactly like Eric Johnson. Once you've mastered that, transition to some Stevie Ray Vaughn (perhaps "In Step") to round out your abilities.

RedHotSgtPeppers
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
JUST REMEMBER IF YOU CAN PLAY ERUPTION BY VAN HALEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL QUIT SINCE YOU'LL NEVER ACHIEVE ANYTHING GREATER

insbordnat
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Truth.

Theijuiel
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
You could try dipping into Gypsy Jazz.