PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Car Camping Queue

tharris
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
A few questions for the Thursday queue for car camping. I know that it opens earlier this year so some of these questions will be sort of unknowns, but just best guesses will do.

1. Camping opens at 9am this year. In your best guess (assuming that lot 5 gets filled up first and then lot 8), what is the earliest we should look to show up if we want Lot 8?

2. Based on what the answer is to #1, best guess on how long it takes from getting in line and getting to the camp site.

3. I've heard the queue to get in is just a massive party in itself. Isn't it a bit dodgy to be driving around or even riding in a car and drinking out on a public road? I'm I just being too paranoid?

4. My girlfriend is coming in my group and she wanted to know what the porto-potty situation is in the queue if we're waiting for hours and drinking. Guys I'm sure can just go by the side of the road, but its not that easy for girls.

jefferie
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
1) 1-4pm. Last year we were in lot 8 and showed up about 3-4 hours after it opened.
2) 45 min - 1 hour from pulling into the lines to get searched to being parked in the camping spot
3) The lines for getting searched are on a grass lot of the venue not on public roads
4) I don't remember port-a-potties but the line wasn't that long and there were tents off to the side where people were getting bracelets fixed and the workers have to go somewhere so I imagine they are there close by.

tharris
01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Oh, my friends last year said it was about a 4 or 5 hour wait. I think they got there fairly late though. (Or maybe they just partied TOO HARD in line and lost grasp on a sense of time). An hour is definitely manageable.

dcbell05
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
1. No clue. See Jefferie's reply.
2. Last year, it took us at least 2 hours from getting IN line to get searched and then FINALLY get parked in our spot. We were in Lot 8 and we entered the line around 5/6. We had a great spot.
3. As Jefferie said, not on a public road. I'm sure if you're obviously very intoxicated, you will get in trouble. Our driver didn't drink while the others did. And of course, it's the venue's lot, not public road. It would be WAY too much for them to check EACH person drinking isn't driving, so just don't get crazy and you should be fine. If you're paranoid, designate a DD.
4. There were port-a-potties (I used them). They were on the very far left of the field, against the perimeter fence. Definitely a lot of people smoking up in them.

waltermakesmusic
01-29-2012, 01:47 AM
im thinking about playin a set right in the car line straight from my cars speakers. start the party early!

loopy
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I'd say a couple of hours before it opens. There will be people there no matter what time you show up, and it will take a long time. But it's fun in line. Use that time to carpool-chella your car out, socialize with your neighbors, etc.

We showed up around 10am Thursday morning, didn't get fully inside until about 3pm I think. Not counting our two-hour delay of being in car camping and not being able to get back to tent =)

As long as you're not the one driving, you should be fine. Just don't get all crazy before you get inside otherwise you may not make it inside!

If you're in the outside line (out on the road), there's nothing out there. But once you get inside the gates there are porta-potties within walking distance.