PDA

View Full Version : l.a residents, i have questions for you!

idontknowwhattoputhere
01-25-2012, 09:32 PM
for about three or four days before the festival, me and a few of my friends will be staying in the city, seeing whats up, sights and sounds and all that

post hidden gems/good places to get super fucked, please

:)

algunz
01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
This thread reminded me of the Lava Lounge. I hadn't realized it had closed. Shit, I haven't just been out and about in LA in too long.

bemerritt
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?41408-Best-bars-in-Los-Angeles

jefferie
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
for about three or four days before the festival, me and a few of my friends will be staying in the city, seeing whats up, sights and sounds and all that

post hidden gems/good places to get super fucked, please

:)
http://www.slammerclub.com/
Best place in west Hollywood to get "super fucked".

idontknowwhattoputhere
01-25-2012, 09:45 PM
do americans not say get fucked as a term of inebriation?
anyway, HAW HAW HAW

theresalwaysone
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Definitely plan on spending a full day on Hollywood Blvd. It's so awesome!

idontknowwhattoputhere
01-25-2012, 10:22 PM
embarassing question, but
uh

no idea what that is, heh

Alchemy
01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
It's a boulevard in Hollywood.

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Well, if everyone's done with their comedy routines, idontknowwhattoputhere - perhaps you can help us narrow down what sort sort of stuff you're looking for. I mean, beyond establishments which serve alcoholic beverages. Outdoorsy stuff (parks, hikes, beaches, mountains etc.), cultural stuff (museums, independent cinemas, theatre, performing arts), food stuff (gastropubs, food trucks, high end overly priced celebrity chef concepts, down-and-dirty authentic 'ethnic' food), clubs and bars, best places to meet boys in the mood (West Hollywood) or girls who are willing (again, see Hollywood Blvd.)...? Help us out here and maybe we can be of assistance.

idontknowwhattoputhere
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
food, skateboarding, people in the age range of 18-21 who aren't going to be super duper pretentious and would like to just be around other like minded humans

whynotsmile99
01-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Eat at Animal or Son of a Gun. Eat/dink/karaoke in Korea town. Drink here:

http://theazon.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/jumbo_s-clown-room.jpg?w=450

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
food, skateboarding, people in the age range of 18-21 who aren't going to be super duper pretentious and would like to just be around other like minded humans

Hmm. Dudamel is conducting Mahler 1-7 (http://www.laphil.com/tickets/calendar.cfm) throughout the month of April.

Food suggestions for your group below. LA foodies will probably call these choices obvious, but I think they make sense for what you've described.

Wurstkuche - some good brews, great sausages. - downtown
Umami - fantastic gourmet burgers (definitely try the truffle burger) - 5 or 6 locations throughout LA
Wood & Vine - a bit pricey, but really great small plates (perfect for sharing), some of the best cocktails I've had in town, and what I hear is a very good selection of spirits - Hollywood
Park's BBQ - best Koaren BBQ I've had in LA. Like any Korean BBQ it's going to be a bit pricey, but it's great for a group - Koreatown
Kyochon - if you've never had Korean style wings, give 'em a shot. This is a popular South Korean chain with just a couple of locations in the US. They're also a perfect, crispy late night snack. I think they're open until 3am and even have delivery. All you need is the spicy wings, some kimchee and plenty of ice cold beer - Koreatown
Ethiopian is also great for groups and usually quite affordable. There's a nice Little Ethiopia strip off Fairfax. Check out Meals by Gannet and Rahel Ethiopian Veggie Cuisine - Beverly Hills adjacent/Mid-City
Zankou - your go to place for cheap, delicious Middle Eastern grill style food. They're known for their fantastic chicken, but I've taken veggie friends who've enjoyed a lot of the side dishes here.
Good cheap Mexican - stick to the food trucks

Also, consult Jonathan Gold's reviews/listings in the LA Weekly. He'll rarely steer you wrong: http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/

EastLos01
01-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Where exactly are you staying, and what are your means of transportation for those days? You driving, getting a ride, or taking public transportation? It could be as easy as venice Beach area, where you could achieve the skateboarding, food and drinking. As far as the pretentious 18-21 year olds, thats russian roulette pretty much wherever you go.

Mugwog
01-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Food is everywhere, skateboarding Venice beach or downtown LA, check out LACMA for a good mind trip, they have great exhibits if you're into art.
If you're really adventurous, take some drugs and ride the double decker busses around hollywood. Get off when the energy tells you to

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
The Museum of Jurassic Technology. Don't ask questions, just go.

Goatchella
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Vernon is beautiful

Also highland park

Compton and watts

Make sure to swing through rampart

kitt kat
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
LOL

alyssaf12
01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Definitely plan on spending a full day on Hollywood Blvd. It's so awesome!

No.

alyssaf12
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Griffith park is nice, the observatory is a great place to see all of LA. Or Runyon if you want more of an excersize. Agreed with LACMA being a must see! The studio tours are interesting if you're not In that business. Lots of place to catch good shows in West Hollywood/Hollywood. Improv/comedy shows all over. There's really just an endless list of things to do. Enjoy!

Mugwog
01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
If you're a smoker (not tabaccy) Check out the Rainbow Room on Sunset next to the Roxy. After 9pm, just roll up (no pipes) and enjoy casually as you enjoy a pizza and a beer!

bezus
01-26-2012, 07:43 PM
If you're a smoker (not tabaccy) Check out the Rainbow Room on Sunset next to the Roxy. After 9pm, just roll up (no pipes) and enjoy casually as you enjoy a pizza and a beer!

Really now? I've been in LA for 7 years and have never known that. I guess you learn something new every day!

Mugwog
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I would recommend doing this Sunday-Wednesday - It gets fucking crowded Thursday-Sat

Cypress Hill members are usually there smoking up.

obzen
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Good cheap Mexican - stick to the food trucks

Not sure if euphemistic.