PDA

View Full Version : Advice for First Time Car Campers?

CitizenJ
01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
I have Tent camped at Coachella before, but this year I will be in Car camping. I'm wondering if over the last few years anyone has picked up any tips or tricks to setting up a car camp? Do people sleep in their cars? it seems like it would be a good way to block out noise. Is there a way to sort of combine a car and tent camp? like putting up one of those sun blocking tarps over the top of the car so it doesn't cook so much. I'm vague on it all. Thoughts?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I have Tent camped at Coachella before, but this year I will be in Car camping. I'm wondering if over the last few years anyone has picked up any tips or tricks to setting up a car camp? Do people sleep in their cars? it seems like it would be a good way to block out noise. Is there a way to sort of combine a car and tent camp? like putting up one of those sun blocking tarps over the top of the car so it doesn't cook so much. I'm vague on it all. Thoughts?

I wouldn't sleep in a car I imagine it's hot but if you have a canopy, use that and get tarps to cover it all up. Get a mister system and bring an extension cord to charge shit

frizzlefry
01-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Strangely enough I slept in a van all three nights and the heat didn't become unbearable until 9 or 10, I think we left some doors open or something, I can't remember

dcbell05
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Some of my neighbors seemed to sleep okay in their vans. Not sure about it blocking out noise since you probably want to keep windows down or doors open to prevent yourself from baking.

Altohombre
01-20-2012, 09:26 AM
We take a canopy and tarps and surround our two tents like a fortress. You still hear all the noise and the wind makes some sound against the tarps, but it keeps the light and heat out and makes it a little easier to hide your coolers. I use a lock on my tent as well.

Neighborhood Creep
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Vans are comfy to sleep in. Get fucked up enough to the point of passing out so you don't wake up to the noise of the campground. Don't over pack food, you won't eat as much as you think you will and you'll end up throwing stuff away on Sunday. Stay under shade and sit in chairs as much as you can before going in. The energy saved will be nice at 10p-2a. Meet and offer help to your neighbors on Thursday, they will end up doing the same. Sharing is key. By familiarizing your group with them they would know if someone was rummaging through your stuff when your group wasn't around. They might also have better drugs than you

D-BO.
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
-Big perk of having a car on your site is you can put valuables in there that you may not feel safe leaving outside or in your tent.. believe it or not, theres sketchy people, even at the happiest place on earth.

-In my experience, tents take up more space than theyre worth. They get hot in the morning and its not cold at night generally. We usually have multiple EZ-UPS for shade and laydown sleeping pads and just crash on the ground w/ sleeping bags. Make walls for the camp by hanging sheets frm the ez-ups and tah-dahh! youve got your own shady/spacious compound

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?51522-Coachella-2012-The-Essential-Guide-To-Car-Camping

meowlouder
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I slept in a car last time... Just put all the seats down and opened up all the windows. It wasn't bad. In 2010 our camp spot was right next to the tent where djs played after the festival, but noise wasnt a problem. Coachella drains out all of your energy so by night, you will be able to sleep anywhere.

IEJen
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
I am new to the whole experience. I will be car camping and am wondering about security. Is it safe to leave things like your cooler, stove, basic camping needs etc. out during the day? Or will anything you leave loose inevitably grow legs and wander to someone else's camp site.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I am new to the whole experience. I will be car camping and am wondering about security. Is it safe to leave things like your cooler, stove, basic camping needs etc. out during the day? Or will anything you leave loose inevitably grow legs and wander to someone else's camp site.

It all depends, I'd say most of us leave things out and it's cool, other people that's not the case. I left my cooler and stuff out all weekend and was fine, keep it enclosed in your camp not on the sides and corners and you should be ok

IEJen
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks Dustin!

blueduck
01-20-2012, 11:50 PM
If you're going to jump wear a parachute!!!

frizzlefry
01-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Neighborhoodcreep has the best advice, befriend the neighbors...Lock any booze or anything of value in the car if you feel nervous about it, no harm in that.

unit300021
01-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Bring ear plugs to sleep with, very important if you happen to get placed near a group that up partying all night.

nyarlathotoats
01-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Neighborhoodcreep has the best advice, befriend the neighbors...Lock any booze or anything of value in the car if you feel nervous about it, no harm in that.

I second this.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Also section off your campsite so it's not easy walked through from everyone, if you have one way to walk through your camp vs. Multiple ways of walking through it will be less attractive to get jacked

IEJen
01-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Sweet advice from you all! We are are planning on two 10 x 10 screened EZ Ups so there shouldn't be too much walk through access.

CitizenJ
01-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Also section off your campsite so it's not easy walked through from everyone, if you have one way to walk through your camp vs. Multiple ways of walking through it will be less attractive to get jacked

This is smart. I remember when I was tent camping that people were constantly cutting around the sides of tents. Any suggestions on ways to really block off your area? Should I put up a white Picket Fence? haha.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-22-2012, 03:34 PM
This is smart. I remember when I was tent camping that people were constantly cutting around the sides of tents. Any suggestions on ways to really block off your area? Should I put up a white Picket Fence? haha.

Car alignment, tent alignment, using a canopy and tarp.