PDA

View Full Version : Travel time Sunday

Ciesliktron3030
01-19-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm a Coachella virgin and I was wondering how long it usually takes to get out of the festival monday morning. I will be flying out of San Diego and I want to get an idea of when I should leave in order to make my flight.

BeaverCat
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
It took me about 10 min on Monday to drive out of the tent camping parking lot seeing as there weren't many people left on the campgrounds.

mistakenstrangers
01-19-2012, 06:21 PM
We left at 6.30am, and we cruised straight out pretty much

Stickjohn
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
It can take longer if you are leaving between 9 and 11 - might be in a queue of cars exiting. I would say not more than an hour tops.

TomServo
01-26-2012, 10:00 AM
What's the absolute earliest they let you leave the Car Camping area? My wife has to teach first thing Monday, so we're trying to work around that.

dcbell05
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I think you can leave anytime. I know we drove out towards the end of the Kanye set last year. We kept listening to hear if he was ending so we could know if we would get out before the rush. You can leave anytime, just can't come back.

PulpOne
01-26-2012, 11:29 AM
We left around 10 a.m. Monday moring.... No queue. Got out in 5 minutes

TomServo
01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I think you can leave anytime. I know we drove out towards the end of the Kanye set last year. We kept listening to hear if he was ending so we could know if we would get out before the rush. You can leave anytime, just can't come back.

Was that car camping or tent camping? I thought they were concerned about people running over campers in the darkness?

dcbell05
01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Was that car camping or tent camping? I thought they were concerned about people running over campers in the darkness?

That was car camping. And we were definitely not the only ones leaving. Leaving before Kanye ended was definitely helpful. Plus headlights.

Per the Camping Faqs on the site: "Once you are parked in a camping area you may not move your vehicle for the duration of the festival. This is for your safety and the safety of your neighbors. However, if you need to leave early, please let security know, so they can help direct you out safely." http://www.coachella.com/travel-lodging/on-site-camping#

Essentially, you can leave anytime if you have to, just don't go flying through the parking lot. At the time we left, there weren't many people, and we drive very slowly. If you have to leave in the middle of the day and there's people everywhere, flag down a secrutiy officer to help you get out.

TomServo
01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Huh. I wonder if it might behoove us to pack up Sunday and drive into the regular parking, then just leave out of those lots. It's a lot of extra walking, but worth considering I suppose.

Thanks for the information!