PDA

View Full Version : Ukuleles?

Reidiculus
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Any campers planning on bringing a uke? It would be cool to set up a jam session.

Still need to figure out which one to bring...

ManImCool
01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Just like guitars, keep your god damn ukeleles and other musical instruments out of the campground. I came to Coachella to listen to the professionals, not your uke jam sessions while I try and enjoy my lunch/campground dance parties/sleep. I'm too lazy to find links but I have fuzzy memories of guitars not being allowed in the campgrounds last year. I could be wrong.

Virrago
01-18-2012, 09:16 PM
You're definitely allowed musical instruments in the campground, just not within the festival itself (I believe). If you can play at all, I say go for it! I'd rather listen to a group of friends having fun and playing around than loud, shitty remixes of music I'm going to hear that weekend anyway. And if I hate it... I'll just drown you out with my own shitty remixes ;)

tmac
01-18-2012, 09:17 PM
how can you not like uke? it sounds so fucking pleasant

ManImCool
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
You're definitely allowed musical instruments in the campground, just not within the festival itself (I believe). If you can play at all, I say go for it! I'd rather listen to a group of friends having fun and playing around than loud, shitty remixes of music I'm going to hear that weekend anyway. And if I hate it... I'll just drown you out with my own shitty remixes ;)

I believe you are right. Allowed in campground, not the festival. Shitty remixes it is then, until I wander into the festival. If I hear a uke at night though when I'm trying to sleep I will convert it into splinters.

Mugwog
01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Keep away from the Tiny Tim guy who upgraded to a mini stage last year from a grassy knoll in '10

He plays sweet cute ukulele music on the camp grounds

Neighborhood Creep
01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Dudes just trying to get some pussy. Give him a break

ManImCool
01-18-2012, 09:47 PM
http://images.wikia.com/wikiality/images/7/74/Stephen-Colbert-Pussy-Patrol-500x321.png

Orphan
01-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I think it's a great idea in theory. In practice, the campground instrumentalist's burning need for approval/attention mean he/she will play louder and louder, wander into other people's campsites and public places, and play late at night when there are fewer competing noise sources. It's a vicious downward spiral. I'm not gonna be a dick like the internet toughguy above threatening to destroy your uke, but realize the limitations of your personal skill, and accept that after a 13-hour day listening to professional musicians at the top of their game, your ironic ukulele cover of "Run to the Hills" is probably not going to be welcomed by your neighbors.

Mugwog
01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
The 17 year old girls on acid who snuck into the campgrounds will think you're Jesus

Goatchella
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
When I pass someone jammin anything I will for sure throw down some lyrics.
I'm quick witted with unobtrusive tones.
No need for a microphone

Vic Viper
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM
they let jack johnson in in '08 so i guess you're safe.

Reidiculus
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Just like guitars, keep your god damn ukeleles and other musical instruments out of the campground. I came to Coachella to listen to the professionals, not your uke jam sessions while I try and enjoy my lunch/campground dance parties/sleep. I'm too lazy to find links but I have fuzzy memories of guitars not being allowed in the campgrounds last year. I could be wrong

Really dude, I doubt you'll be able to hear my uke over your bro's sweet remix of Levels.

...your ironic ukulele cover of "Run to the Hills" is probably not going to be welcomed by your neighbors.

Believe me, it'll be a cold day in hell before I play that. I'm not looking to start some crazy all hours ukulele circle, just wanted to see if there was anyone else on the boards who played.

travelfan
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm not looking to start some crazy all hours ukulele circle, just wanted to see if there was anyone else on the boards who played.

Nope, looks like the hot hipster girls will be all yours for the taking. Bastard.

Stickjohn
01-19-2012, 11:48 AM
ooh, hot hipster girls

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl7RmBJsvpVuC6vYs3UVuGDM6so-eSln3TiWU5HXG8cBm0_RN1

Reidiculus
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
^^^ This is why I play

ManImCool
01-19-2012, 02:01 PM
I am going to come find you and follow you around with a ghetto blaster playing only Skrillex at high volumes. He may not be performing at Coachella this year but trying to get you laid will now be my priority and Skrillex will definitely get you laid.

Mugwog
01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm sure a camp blasting skrillex will have plenty of bro pussy to pound

blakely
01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
You people are jackals.

swdshfsk
03-22-2012, 05:11 PM
My first year-- 2005-- I brought my guitar with me, and while I might be biased, I thought it really made for a fantastic Friday night experience. There's a fine line between enjoying music with like-minded folks, and turning into a one-man-(shit)-band. It started with just my friends and I, but within an hour's time we had accumulated a group of 20 or so people having a great time (on a side note, I heard some of the craziest stories of my life that night). I encouraged others to play and we all sat around playing music until 1 or 2, then called it a night. It was a great way to start the whole festival experience, but you can't force that type of thing. In essence: bring your uke (or banjo, or whatever) but be considerate of the people around you, and don't force it on others. I will definitely be bringing my guitar or banjo this year with Decemberists covers en-tow!

Goatchella
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Can't wait!

swdshfsk
03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
My first year-- 2005-- I brought my guitar with me, and while I might be biased, I thought it really made for a fantastic Friday night experience.

What I should say is "first night" (aka Thursday this year)

PrettyToneBK
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
I feel like people who attack people who bring instruments either can't play or were molested by one when they were little.

It's never cool to be "that guy" all douche-y and like "Hey man, I'm gonna strum a shitty 2 chord song as I walk around for attention"

but

What if you want to play at 1am, in your camp area, with your group and the song is Come Down or Black?

If people are feeling it, it's not forced and in generally being enjoyed then there is no harm. That's my experience playing guitar with/for friends.

It's ok... the guitar won't touch you in your no-no place anymore.

mistakenstrangers
03-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Leave them at home

waltermakesmusic
03-23-2012, 04:40 AM
you bring it, i break it.

PrettyToneBK
03-23-2012, 10:07 AM
See? There's two of them.

Show me on this teddy bear where the guitar touched you. **they points to the crotch area**

hippityhip
03-23-2012, 10:22 AM
banjo > Ukulele

jfu222
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah bring it!

Obviously don't harass people and train hard beforehand so you can swiftly deal with the agros that try to smash your uke.

AgainstFeist
03-23-2012, 01:45 PM
banjo > Ukulele

At phishfest 09 I woke up to this guy jamming on his banjo. He was real good. At first I thought someone was playing a cd. It was actually a nice way to start the day. If you have the talent bring it. If you know 2 songs please leave it at home.

Mugwog
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
^
unless you know another banjo player coming and you both know "dueling banjos"

AgainstFeist
03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah bring it!

Obviously don't harass people and train hard beforehand so you can swiftly deal with the agros that try to smash your uke.

Lol ya. Train ukulele and MMA.

swdshfsk
03-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Lol ya. Train ukulele and MMA.

Please no Train on the Ukulele. If I hear "Hey Soul Sister" at Coachella I will resort to violence.

Reidiculus
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
I believe he meant train, as in practice, not that abomination of a song.

hippityhip
03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
At phishfest 09 I woke up to this guy jamming on his banjo. He was real good. At first I thought someone was playing a cd. It was actually a nice way to start the day.

Nothing sad ever comes out of a banjo. :)

swdshfsk
03-24-2012, 07:15 AM
I believe he meant train, as in practice, not that abomination of a song.

I figured as much, but I feel it needs to be said since most of the people I know who are burgeoning uke players more or less alternate between Train, Jason Mraz, and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I'm still waiting for someone awesome to bust out some Tune-Yards.

Jankypirate
03-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Its a music festival. I for one actually enjoy a good spontaneous jam in the campgrounds at least as much as watching professional musicians.

And who sleeps in the campgrounds? Get a hotel room if youre gonna bitch about people making the most of the weekend

LeahGozira
03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
If you can play, and you don't have total crap taste in music, fine. Otherwise, no sympathy for you when you get turned into fertilizer by your annoyed fellow campers.

EliteZags
03-25-2012, 11:20 PM
no matter how many you think are enjoying it, 30x more people see you as "that guy", as in complete tool

TheClares
03-26-2012, 01:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfR-DvI-yfs