Phenomena
01-17-2012, 09:03 PM
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
http://sopastrike.com/strike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://vimeo.com/31100268

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Is everybody seriously only hearing about SOPA today?

Timestretch
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I guess it really took a Wiki blackout to get people's attention.

Starraven
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Is everybody seriously only hearing about SOPA today?

And people wonder why there are events purely for the awareness factor..

Phenomena
01-17-2012, 09:10 PM
I heard about it a while back but no one was talking about it on here so...

darkmoon66
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
In a statement issued today (PDF), MPAA chairman and CEO--and former U.S. Senator--Chris Dodd railed against the blackouts, calling them "an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [the sites] for information and [who] use their services."

The irony of someone who supports a bill that can potentially blacklist these sites getting pissed about them shutting off for 24 hours is just too funny

HunterGather
01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
That was a really well put together video.

nathanfairchild
01-17-2012, 09:48 PM
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/nopa_sopapilla1.jpg

VigoTheCarpathian
01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Goes to show how huge an impact google, wikipedia, etc. can have on public opinion...

Monko760
01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
TAKE THE FORUMS DOWN PF!

DO IT!

frizzlefry
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
So is OPEN really the bright and shining compromise it promises to be?

cutterbutter
01-17-2012, 11:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0aRP6.jpg

Kyliediscope
01-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Boards being down for 48 hours. Early SOPA protest? So Clever.

suprefan
01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
lol

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/25-angry-kids-who-cant-do-their-homework-because?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

weeklymix
01-17-2012, 11:40 PM
This board would technically be at risk under SOPA / PIPA, especially for those of you who are leaving the box ticked underneath the URL when you upload a photo because it places the photo on Coachella's servers first. Not to mention embedding copyrighted YouTube videos...

Phenomena
01-18-2012, 02:17 AM
This is my first place to go when it comes to music. Hate to see it go on some stupid technicality.

HunterGather
01-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Lol, don't these dumb kids know you just need to hit the STOP button immediately after going to a Wiki entry and the blackout page won't load?

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 04:09 AM
Or just use No Script. Wikipedia's is a Javascript that's easily blocked so you don't even have to deal with it.

Reddit, however, appears to be in a full blackout.

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Sites participating in some sort of awareness today:

Wikipedia
Reddit
Mozilla
Destructoid
WordPress
Minecraft / Mojang Games
Google
Free Software Foundation
Twitpic
Imgur
Cheezburger / LOLCat
Craigslist
Boing Boing
deviantART
Grooveshark
openSUSE (massive Linux distro's English language page)
O'Reilly Media (reference manuals, computer books, etc.)
4chan

Edit:

Amazon - Has a button in the top right discussing SOPA!
MoveOn.org
name.com
Meta Filter
Tucows
BarackObama.com
Daily KOS
Peter Gabriel's Homepage (Yes, really.)
Rackspace
Identi.ca
Regretsy
Scribd
Curse
Razer
BuzzFeed
Major League Gaming
CloudFlare
Creative Commons
Consumer Electronics Association
Business Software Alliance
Slashdot - Sort of. Which is really kind of obnoxious.
Megaupload - Bottom of page. Also somewhat annoying considering music artists actually use Megaupload.
Ask.com
GoDaddy.com - Hahahahaha.
Fark - Actually did a white-out, claiming they are ready to crack under pressure and call it quits.
Radiohead - PIPA only.
Drudge Report

I will continue to update with the more I find.

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Updated with more.

mountmccabe
01-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Lol, don't these dumb kids know you just need to hit the STOP button immediately after going to a Wiki entry and the blackout page won't load?

Or just use No Script. Wikipedia's is a Javascript that's easily blocked so you don't even have to deal with it.

Reddit, however, appears to be in a full blackout.

If you read Wikipedia's page on their blackout they tell you how to get past their blackout and note that it doesn't apply to the mobile site.

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Updated with more.

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Does Facebook have anything yet once you log in? I deactivated a long time ago. eBay, Facebook and Etsy so far are disappointments, though I know eBay is owned by Amazon. Yahoo and Microsoft are also lacking anything on their direct sites.

GeezrRckr
01-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Write your politicians people. You CA folks might be surprised to learn that, both, Feinstein and Boxer are co-sponsors of this bullshit.

Go here to find where your elected official stands on this (and their contact info): http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Sadly a lot of Democrats and Republicans support it because they're in the pockets of the movie and music industries. Look where fucking Chris Dodd is now. It's sickening.

bobchella
01-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Very nice list weeklymix. I've called both my senators today... one of which has had his website crash this morning >:) Good sign I think.

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
So is that confirmed that Facebook did absolutely nothing today?

Wheres the beef?
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Write your politicians people. You CA folks might be surprised to learn that, both, Feinstein and Boxer are co-sponsors of this bullshit.

Go here to find where your elected official stands on this (and their contact info): http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

I've been making noise about this and calling them for weeks, and I seem to only be 1 of 2 people who cares.

wmgaretjax
01-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I've been making noise about this and calling them for weeks, and I seem to only be 1 of 2 people who cares.

you and the new policy groups that have formed in the last three months strictly as a result of this legislation...

silicon valley has finally got the message and it appears as though everyone has decided that they can no longer just rely on Google Policy and EFF to work on their behalf... lucky for us there are some really smart people working on this and mobilizing these efforts. this is clearly evidenced by the dramatic success today. for a bill that was pretty much a sure thing in mid-november this is fantastic.

Goatchella
01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
NWO

wmgaretjax
01-18-2012, 09:25 AM
So is that confirmed that Facebook did absolutely nothing today?

Zuckerberg came out against them... (http://thenextweb.com/2012/01/18/zuckerberg-comes-out-against-sopa-on-facebook-gets-75k-likes-in-10-minutes/?awesm=tnw.to_1CrCj&utm_campaign=social%20media&utm_medium=Spreadus&utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=Zuckerberg%20comes%20out%20against%20S OPA%20on%20Facebook,%20gets%2075k%20likes%20in%201 0%20minutes)

Wheres the beef?
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
you and the new policy groups that have formed in the last three months strictly as a result of this legislation...

silicon valley has finally got the message and it appears as though everyone has decided that they can no longer just rely on Google Policy and EFF to work on their behalf... lucky for us there are some really smart people working on this and mobilizing these efforts. this is clearly evidenced by the dramatic success today. for a bill that was pretty much a sure thing in mid-november this is fantastic.

I read an article yesterday where the people at pirate bay basically declared that SOPA wouldn't stop them. I know Tor is an option and there I forget the name of the program that circumvents the great chinese firewall, but if ISP's are performing deep packet inspection, is there any hope for us when SOPA or whatever renamed version is finally passed?

nosurprises12
01-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Updated with more.

Just FYI, Demonoid is another site participating.

bobchella
01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Pinterest too

wmgaretjax
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
I read an article yesterday where the people at pirate bay basically declared that SOPA wouldn't stop them. I know Tor is an option and there I forget the name of the program that circumvents the great chinese firewall, but if ISP's are performing deep packet inspection, is there any hope for us when SOPA or whatever renamed version is finally passed?

well, there are a number of legal problems introduced by rampant deep packet inspection (not that it doesn't happen regularly right now anyways), but there are various ways in which encryption steps up to combat this problem.

Alchemy
01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
wordpress.com is also participating. The blogs still work normally, but if you look at their main website, all the "freshly pressed" entries are censored and lead to information about SOPA.

wmgaretjax
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
but it's also worth noting that future attempts at legislation will likely try and take steps to make circumvention (by end-users) unlawful... like in the DMCA.

Wheres the beef?
01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
The irony is that last week Rep Lamar Smith, who is one of the authors of the bill, was found to have been using a copyrighted image on his website illegally.

Mugwog
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
With CA having a huge entertainment industry presence, I'm not surprised Boxer and Feinstein are supporting the bill. I know for a fact those studios have a lot more money and resources to lobby for this bill than myself or many others in this state.

The studio moguls are throwing money at this like a Justin Timberlake movie

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Zuckerberg came out against them... (http://thenextweb.com/2012/01/18/zuckerberg-comes-out-against-sopa-on-facebook-gets-75k-likes-in-10-minutes/?awesm=tnw.to_1CrCj&utm_campaign=social%20media&utm_medium=Spreadus&utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=Zuckerberg%20comes%20out%20against%20S OPA%20on%20Facebook,%20gets%2075k%20likes%20in%201 0%20minutes)

That works! Thanks. As long as it was a public post on Facebook somewhere I'm okay with it.

weeklymix
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
The only problem I have with the blackout is a lot of the reddit people who don't go to 4chan normally are on 4chan. Get out my 4chan.

nyarlathotoats
01-18-2012, 05:22 PM
lol

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/25-angry-kids-who-cant-do-their-homework-because?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

Jesus Christ! It's called a book!

Mugwog
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
lol

Hah.

Why, when I in grade school, they didn't let you use the internet for references. In fact, you had to a find a CD-ROM before you could even touch the internet when it came to research. Compton's Encyclopedia on CD-ROM could only give you ONE of your FIVE required references! The rest you had to find in "books"!

darkmoon66
01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Jesus Christ! It's called a book!

http://readabooknigga.ytmnd.com/

wmgaretjax
01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
at the end of the day 18 senators came out against PIPA (either previously against or unannounced).

GeezrRckr
01-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Shit's getting serious...Megaupload and now Filesonic are down for the count. I just bought a subscription to FS too...fml.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
filesonic seems to just be an understandable overreaction to the recent events... unless there was something in the indictment that really scared them (like, they engage in similarly stupid activities such as uploading their own copyrighted content or gabbing about encouraging infringement in documented internal discussions), I think they are just a little spooked.

TickleMeElmo
01-22-2012, 03:35 PM
It's time like these that really make me wish I had a ? account.

GeezrRckr
01-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Spooking them into submission is almost an even better victory for the govt. It cost them nothing (essentially) to realize the same result.

HandBanana
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
And somewhere out there in a college dorm, some kid is writing ideas on a dry erase board for an even more anonymous file sharing system.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Spooking them into submission is almost an even better victory for the govt. It cost them nothing (essentially) to realize the same result.

but it is incredibly temporary. other companies like Rapidhsare have come out and said that they don't believe these events will have any impact on them.

GeezrRckr
01-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Let's hope so. I mean, Megaupload is now extinct. We'll see if the people behind FS have the nuts to come back after a bit. Is what RS is saying is based on some sort of legal interpretation they have or just them simply standing up to the man?

wmgaretjax
01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
i think it's a fairly practical/legal interpretation. The megaupload indictment is very, very reliant on some terrible facts on Megaupload's part. Obviously, Rapidshare believes that these kinds of facts don't exist in their case. I think that all of these issues already have legal precedent in many ways... If you have an internal business model that overtly acknowledges and relies on the existence of piracy (without trying to correct things), you are fucked. Megaupload did this in spades. Rapidshare, on the face of things, does not appear to.

I'm painting a very black/white picture of Megaupload's case... Many of these arguments about their activities are arguable.

GeezrRckr
01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
I need to dig into what you are saying wrt Megaupload. I am not aware of this nor am I understanding the privacy quandary you mentioned.

But, the cynic in me (and knowing that most of these file-sharing services are tiny, often one-man, operations) sees the "bully effect" causing real problems here.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2012, 04:46 PM
not privacy. piracy. sorry. i mistyped and ghost edited.

GeezrRckr
01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Well that's rather dumb of them, wow. In any event, I hope your optimistic scenario is the eventual outcome. Something tells me that we may be on the precipice of a new paradigm. If that's the case, I hope HB's college kid gets a move on with their new widget.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
The Megaupload facts are really, really bad. There were internal emails sent asking around for Megaupload links to copyrighted content. They had discussions about how to induce people to rip and upload DVDs. It's bad.

edit: plus the executives were a bunch of pompous, flashy jerks... they kind of painted huge targets on their backs.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah like, it sounds like the people running Megaupload were, in fact, too stupid to use Megaupload.

GeezrRckr
01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
This has gone viral:

Now that MegaUpload has been axed by the feds, other file sharing sites (Fileserve, Hotfile, Rapidshare, etc) are deleting files and blocking USA IPís. You can check out the status of each site below.

MegaUpload
Closed.

FileServe
Deleting multiple files. Closed affiliate program.

FileJungle
(Owned by FileServe) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

UploadStation
(Owned by FileServe) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

FileSonic
(Owned by Fileserve) No concrete news yet.

VideoBB
Closed affiliate program.

Uploaded
Banned USA IP addresses.

FilePost
Started suspending accounts with infringing material (doing what Hotfile did)

VideoZer
Closed affiliate program.

4shared
Deleting multiple files.

wmgaretjax
01-23-2012, 08:01 AM
it makes sense that they are shutting the affiliate programs down, as that was specifically called out in the indictment. I don't think that will hold up in court without other bad facts though.

And "deleting multiple files" is nothing new... All of these sites constantly prune material. I'm not surprised they are amping it up a bit in the short term though.

GeezrRckr
01-24-2012, 07:07 PM
More shutdowns have happened (Indiebubbles).

So, it looks like I'll/we'll have to lean on torrent sites more and more now. Has anyone used this torrent proxy yet? Wondering if it actually works or if it's just another placebo like PeerGuardian (and, worse, if it ends up blocking you from the tracker).

http://btguard.com/

wmgaretjax
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
ok. you need to hop over into the "raining file sharing sites thread." that's where a lot of this discussion is taking place. i posted a link there that I think sets some boundaries to the extent with which this will be a long term issue.

wmgaretjax
01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
as to btguard it's just a proxy. so whether it is effective or not depends largely on how much you trust the people running it. your anonymity is dependent on them. there are plenty of proxy options available out there through in various countries that you might trust more or less. I know a fair number of them are based in Canada along with btguard.

GeezrRckr
01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
ok. you need to hop over into the "raining file sharing sites thread."
I'd rather not. It's a low-value option.

Anyway...I always appreciate your optimism. I hope you're right. I'm just so annoyed at Filesonic for committing suicide. Fucking cowards!

(particularly bitter because I signed up for their pro service no less than 20 or so days ago)

weeklymix
01-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Google Consolidating All of Your Data Across All Services. No Opt-Out Option Available. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNE_b)

If you are against the data harvesting practices of some companies, here are some recommendations from someone who's been fighting shit like this for a long time. For what it's worth this is a move for me more out of frustration than any sort of fear or paranoia. At most I'd be angry. I simply can't keep Gmail, Google+ or any other of their services knowing that in the end my data has a price.

Suggestions for those of you that want to bail but don't know where to go:
Email service: ZOHO *will require a backup email, register a dummy yahoo/ymail account if you're currently switching from Gmail.
Search engine: Duck Duck Go
Social Networks: Twitter (honestly not that bad if you have a safe email registered) / Diaspora

chairmenmeow47
01-25-2012, 06:36 AM
i feel like that is already happening to some extent. i was looking at a specific brand of shoes recently, and now i see advertisements for the shoes i looked at on other pages. or i've mentioned keywords in an email and then start getting advertisements for it. i'm not saying it's a good thing. i'm just curious what the difference will look like.

weeklymix
01-25-2012, 06:48 AM
It won't look any different, now they'll just have an extremely complete profile of all your activities. Included in your "tailored ad experience" will be ads relating to your YouTube viewing history, your YouTube ads will be based off things you might talk about in your emails, etc.

It's just a master file following you around bothering the shit out of you all because you technically get the service free.

theresalwaysone
01-25-2012, 07:05 AM
If you aren't paying for a product, you're what's being sold.

weeklymix
01-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Correct.

GeezrRckr
02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Mukki went down today. That was, arguably, the best Scene site on the web. Fuck, they're dropping like flies.

GeezrRckr
03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
nodata is back up. this is the first I've heard of any sites that went down coming back to life. this is very, very good.