PDA

View Full Version : Musicians you don't "get" and yet has a following

SojuGorae
03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Clock DVA
Tortoise

I can't fathom how anyone can listen to their music and not slam your face into a concrete wall.

DeltaSigChi4
Morrissey.

E

bumper31
Eminem

hangthedj112
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't really think there's any band where I don't at least have a vague understanding of why people like them.

J~$$$
03-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Dragon Force.

mob roulette
03-19-2007, 12:53 PM
coachella related, i heard fair to midland for the first time last night and i didn't get it. seemed pretty basic to me, nothing to really write home about. but i'm getting old so.

hawkingvsreeve
03-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Dragon Force.

Blasphemy.

caco0283
03-19-2007, 12:58 PM
he speaks

samiksha
03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
black keys

Tylerdurden31
03-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't really think there's any band where I don't at least have a vague understanding of why people like them.

agreed...a lot of people just say "I like it because I can bob my head to it." I've come to terms with that, because most people wouldn't get why I like Lightning Bolt.

J~$$$
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Blasphemy.

I KNEW IT!

paulb
03-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Morrisey
underworld

ive never heard a song before from either, so im kinda clueless as to why everyone likes them.

hawkingvsreeve
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm listening to DragonForce right now. I've moved past the point where they are a novelty band to where I actually really enjoy listening to them. It's catchy shit.

DeltaSigChi4
03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I'M GOING TO SEE DRAGONFORCE TOMM!!!!

DRAGONFORCE!!!!

E

TomAz
03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Coldplay

mob roulette
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
chris martin is a goddamned horseface.

Tylerdurden31
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Morrisey
underworld

ive never heard a song before from either, so im kinda clueless as to why everyone likes them.

that's not a reason to not get why people like them. I've never heard a lot of stuff, but that's no reason to not get it.

Courtney
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Conor Oberst.

I mean, it's okay music, but I don't get why he's been given messiah status by people whose musical taste I otherwise generally agree with.

algunz
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
BLINK 182

chairmenmeow47
03-19-2007, 01:17 PM
the red hot chili peppers. and i'm not just saying that cause they're headlining this year, i've always been flabbergasted that they still make records and that people still buy them.

and pretty much all that fall out boy and panic at the disco crap. boggles my mind.

TomAz
03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Madonna.

mob roulette
03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
there's this show called "i love new york" on one of the music channels and i have at this point sat through THREE entire epsiodes and i still have absolutely no idea about what the fuck is going on.

who ARE these people?

kimery08
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
there's this show called "i love new york" on one of the music channels and i have at this point sat through THREE entire epsiodes and i still have absolutely no idea about what the fuck is going on.

who ARE these people?

i cant believe you managed to sit through that many episodes at one time.
im impressed yet slightly turned off by that.

Boourns
New York is some skank contestant from Flavor Flav's reality show, where he tried, and failed, to find a wife. She was such a bitch that they decided to give her a show of her own instead of, you know, playing music videos or putting on respectable programming. Basically, what's going on during "I Love New York" is a bunch of failed actors and wannabe stars "compete" to win New York's love. I'm pretty sure the show is finished now. Last I saw she voted off the white dork who wouldn't keep his fingers out of his nose.

gaypalmsprings
K-Fed

ewiggy
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
the Hold Steady.

TomAz
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Eha.

Tylerdurden31
03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
K-Fed

it's been scientifically proven that no one likes K-Fed

SojuGorae
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Even his kid?

Boourns
03-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Especially his kid.

TickleMeElmo
03-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Modest Mouse
The Shins

becomingcloser
03-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Coldplay

amen. coldplay headlining in '05 was a joke, wasn't it?

ghettojournalist
03-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Garth Brooks

becomingcloser
03-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Conor Oberst.

I mean, it's okay music, but I don't get why he's been given messiah status by people whose musical taste I otherwise generally agree with.

different strokes...

personally, i'm a fan because he's very prolific for his age, he writes great lyrics, and has a very wide range of talent in multiple genres.

just sayin'.

bmack86
03-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Bon Jovi. How can they have that huge following when they're so damn mediocre, and there are other bands that do what they do, just better?

Courtney
03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Bon Jovi. How can they have that huge following when they're so damn mediocre, and there are other bands that do what they do, just better?

Perhaps it has something to do with this (http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateien/members32/beautyqueen-from-mars/jon_bon_jovi.jpg)? (NSFW)

fatbastard
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Arcade Fire. Really. I own Funeral and I spent time watching their set at Coachella. I just don't get it.

I do enjoy The Shins.

Courtney
03-19-2007, 01:57 PM
different strokes...

personally, i'm a fan because he's very prolific for his age, he writes great lyrics, and has a very wide range of talent in multiple genres.

just sayin'.

Yeah, sorry, but being prolific and proficient in a wide range of styles doesn't a messiah make.

bmack86
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Courtney, that terrifies me. I hate that man so damn much.

ghettojournalist
03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah, sorry, but being prolific and proficient in a wide range of styles doesn't a messiah make.

this is something i don't get. i've never read, heard, seen anyone EVER regard Bright Eyes/ Conor Oberst seriously as a messiah. i have been privy to acts of devotion, but i could say the same for Daft Punk. i just don't get where the "messiah complex" comes from.

mob roulette
03-19-2007, 02:08 PM
this is something i don't get. i've never read, heard, seen anyone EVER regard Bright Eyes/ Conor Oberst seriously as a messiah. i have been privy to acts of devotion, but i could say the same for Daft Punk. i just don't get where the "messiah complex" comes from.

this is a valid point. the machines of hype would lead you to believe that there are literally MILLIONS of kids out there hanging on his every word. ever meet one? me neither.

having said that, i will say he's a talented lyricist though. annoying, but talented.

amyzzz
03-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't like Conor Oberst's voice. I did enjoy that Coachella clip in the movie though.

mob roulette
03-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I did enjoy that Coachella clip in the movie though.

agreed.

Courtney
03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
i've never read, heard, seen anyone EVER regard Bright Eyes/ Conor Oberst seriously as a messiah

Then you haven't met my friend Rachel.

Also, a snippet of recent pressing clippings:

"folk-rock’s wunderkind" -- The Times
"the new Dylan" -- LA City Beat
"the indie-rock world's perpetual candidate for greatness" -- LA Times
"a boy wonder" -- The New York Times
"the Omaha boy wonder... the 'indie Bob Dylan' " -- Globe & Mail

And that's only press from the past month. He's good, but is he really that good?

TomAz
03-19-2007, 02:25 PM

I dunno bout the messiah bit, but I have said in the past on the old board that (to my ears at least) he is one of the most talented singer/songwriters of his generation. In that sense then I don't think the Dylan comparisons are all that far-fetched, really.

He can be an annoying fuck sometimes, sure, but when he hits it he hits it big.

mob roulette
03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Also, a snippet of recent pressing clippings:

"folk-rock’s wunderkind" -- The Times
"the new Dylan" -- LA City Beat
"the indie-rock world's perpetual candidate for greatness" -- LA Times
"a boy wonder" -- The New York Times
"the Omaha boy wonder... the 'indie Bob Dylan' " -- Globe & Mail

And that's only press from the past month. He's good, but is he really that good?

regurgitation. they've been saying the same thing since bright eyes first went mainstream.

I dunno bout the messiah bit, but I have said in the past on the old board that (to my ears at least) he is one of the most talented singer/songwriters of his generation. In that sense then I don't think the Dylan comparisons are all that far-fetched, really.

He can be an annoying fuck sometimes, sure, but when he hits it he hits it big.

agreed. but also in comparison to what? if he's the best, then the competition is sorely lacking. for every homerun, there's three foul tips. by my count anyway.

having said that, then yes, the dylan comparisons are obviously not that far off. stated.

ah, art.

Rap/rock Is Life
03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
The Beatles
Sugar Rose
Air
Interpol
The Arcade Fire
Morissey
fdaft Punk
Cold Play
Eliot Smith
Bob Dylan
the Pixies
the cure

betao
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Good Charlotte
Blink 182
MCR
Relient K
Hawthorne Heights
F.O.B.
any bands that fall into the same genre as the ones listed above
95% of all rap thats on the radio (basically anyone with "lil" in their name)

how can people listen to this and not bleed internally and/or externally...

fatbastard
03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
The Beatles
Sugar Rose
Air
Interpol
The Arcade Fire
Morissey
fdaft Punk
Cold Play
Eliot Smith
Bob Dylan
the Pixies
the cure

Have you ever became unconcious because of drugs? If so, try to remember how you felt while playing Sigur Rãs or Air.

betao
03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
The Beatles
Sugar Rose
Air
Interpol
The Arcade Fire
Morissey
fdaft Punk
Cold Play
Eliot Smith
Bob Dylan
the Pixies
the cure

Coachella is not the place for you my friend.

Courtney
03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Rap/rock Is Life, hello troll. I would bring the hate, if only it was worth the effort.

mountmccabe
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM

They used to be quite something.

Or, at least, to this 12 year old kid New Jersey sounded awesome. I'm not going to put it up against all other albums released the same year... but I hadn't heard the Pixies or whoever the hell else was releasing good music in 1988 so they weren't available as a comparison. This was pre-Nirvana/Pearl Jam. This was pre-Oasis. This was why Nirvana/Pearl Jam/etc broke.

And the reason people still care? Because not everyone gets sick of music. Not everyone cares enough about music in general to move on. I've never seen Bon Jovi live and I'd be happy if I never do. I haven't bought anything since Keep the Faith came out and I am sure I will never buy anymore Bon Jovi.

But some people just like hearing songs they like. Over and over. This is why radio exists as it does.

La Ferrassie
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't get Green Day. I'll give you Dookie, but hearing Boulevard Of Broken Dreams every five seconds on the radio a couple years ago tainted my liking of the band.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
you might not like it, but you can understand why other people do, right?

codytwo
03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
I love Nimrod. A lot. So I can't hate Green Day.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
i just like his eyeliner:

http://www.monblog.ch/uploads/200605041843102/billie-joe-armstrong.jpg

breakjaw
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Phish and it's ilk...

jackstraw94086
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
you might not like it, but you can understand why other people do, right?

don't bother. People quickly turned this into a "trash what you don't like" thread thread. Saying you don't "get" bands like blink 182 or green day is like saying you're stillborn.

mountmccabe
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't like dance music. It's all the same and it sucks.

i_like_cake530
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Coldplay

agreed

i_like_cake530
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
The Beatles
Sugar Rose
Air
Interpol
The Arcade Fire
Morissey
fdaft Punk
Cold Play
Eliot Smith
Bob Dylan
the Pixies
the cure

ok dude u are fucken stupid

i_like_cake530
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
uh lets see...
coldplay
fallout boy
pretty much any screamo (i like the guitar and drums, but the screaming kills it)

Kiefer
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
a couple of responses here, and im to lazy to quote everyone.

i agree with the arcade fire. i dont get it.

I love new york is fucking hilarious. the show isnt quite done, maybe 1 or 2 episodes left, but jesus christ its so ridiculous, i cant not watch it. like you know how rotten.com is totally fucking disgusting, but you will check it out anyway? its like that.

also, i dont understand bright eyes. but, what i dont understand more is when music mags were calling him the new dylan. i am not a dylan fan at all, but there is still no way you can compare the two. thats like comparing this sheep here to that broom over there.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
"He wears baggy pants and drinks a lot, and I like that." -New York

La Ferrassie
03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah. I'll take back my Green Day comment.

But what's the deal with Nickleback?

corbo
03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Clock DVA
Tortoise

I can't fathom how anyone can listen to their music and not slam your face into a concrete wall.

have you even listen to "millions now living will never die" from tortoise
listen to the song 'along the banks of the river'
how can you say that its bad?

fyi im not a big tortoise fan.

jackstraw94086
03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't like dance music. It's all the same and it sucks.

thank, john. This highlights beautifully the difference between not getting some music vs not liking it.

claiming that acts like tiesto, fatboy slim, freq nasty, bassment jaxx, etc. all sound the same would be clear admission that they did not get it.

others could claim that indie acts like mountain goats, okkerville river, etc. all sound the same and that would likewise be an implicit admission that they don't get it.

RATMan
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I think Arcade Fire are just a terrible band, I don't get the hype at all. Singer is atrocious, songwriting is garbage, mediocre live act, they don't even look cool.

If these guys are "The Great Rock Hope" ( http://www.slate.com/id/2161645/ ), the world is doomed.

amyzzz
03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Yay, bring on the arcade fire hate!

TomAz
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I think Arcade Fire are just a terrible band, I don't get the hype at all. Singer is atrocious, songwriting is garbage, mediocre live act, they don't even look cool.

If these guys are "The Great Rock Hope" ( http://www.slate.com/id/2161645/ ), the world is doomed.

plus, they play in 4/4 time! fuck that shit!

samiksha
03-19-2007, 04:01 PM
plus, they play in 4/4 time!

does RATMan know what that means?

ediger
03-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Blind Guardian and any other "fantasy" metal band. What that hell is this garbage?

TomAz
does RATMan know what that means?

i assume he likes his music in 13/7 or some fucked signature.

i shuold add, AF also play in 3/4 time. That's right, waltzes.

I should also add, AF's morning turds have more talent than RATM.

amyzzz
plus, they play in 4/4 time! fuck that shit!
I fuckin HATE 4/4 time!

R3d Snapper
03-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Johnny Cash, I don't dislike him but whats with all the kids pretending to like him? I guarantee if his shirt was never sold at Hot Topic they wouldn't give a shit. Stick to my chemical romance please, your posing is annoying.

sydaud
03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Johnny Cash, I don't dislike him but whats with all the kids pretending to like him? I guarantee if his shirt was never sold at Hot Topic they wouldn't give a shit. Stick to my chemical romance please, your posing is annoying.

Ah, you've got to separate music/musicians from their "fans"...

corbo
03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
arcade fire is WAY overrated

Good Days Last
03-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I'M GOING TO SEE DRAGONFORCE TOMM!!!!

DRAGONFORCE!!!!

E

I;m seeing them tomorrow too. See you there.

bballarl
03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I will first defend some bands (or rather, try to explain why I like them) and then discuss groups I don't "get".

Tortoise: If you like jazz and indie rock, you probably could dig Tortoise. If you dislike either of those two things, you might not be a huge fan. Allmusic sums it up pretty well in discussing Tortoise taking the "left-field" influences path in terms of indie rock(dub, tape music, electronica, jazz) rather than the "traditional" (think Pavement, Husker Du, Sebadoh, other seminal "indie" groups) route.

Coldplay: Look, they are mainstream, they had radio hits, your mom probably likes them. Mine does. But their first record was great. Their subsequent records have been good to great. They are harmless. I know some people have a problem with "harmless", because they want off-kilter vocals and lyrics about raping the eye socket of a vulture's corpse or detuned guitars. But for nice pop-rock, Coldplay are a good band. If you don't like it I understand.

Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet is amazing. It sums up cheesy 80sness. But that is fun. It's fun music. It's not trying to change the world.

What I don't "get":

The Arcade Fire: I kind of do. Funeral is a good record. But I don't understand the masturbatory displays of affection for them. I have not seen them live yet, and Bryan says I should because that's part of it. But I thought the Coachella DVD performance was shit poor. Win sounded like shit when he was attempting to sing, the rest of the band was just playing. They were obviously into it, so I could see that element, but I don't understand the wild devotion. And I like that song on record.

Radiohead: Look, they are good, and they do things differently than most popular groups, and they are popular for it, which should be applauded. But again, the obsession: The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A are all great records. And I would say Pablo Honey, Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief are simply good records. But why do they need to headline every festival in the world? Why are they such a special live band? I saw them at the Greek in Berkeley last summer. It was good, they played Black Star, I was happy. But nothing they played during that set was so unbelievably awesome to warrant the "PLEASE HEADLINE EVERY FESTIVAL EVER OMG RADIOHEAD" sentiment. The light show was cool though. Maybe it was the light show. Or Thom was sending subliminal messages to everyone. Or attracting them with his paranoia.

And Dragonforce is an awesome behemoth of rawk.

menikmati
03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Morrisey
underworld

So why are you even posting in here then?

RATMan
03-19-2007, 05:37 PM
I should also add, AF's morning turds have more talent than RATM.

Oh yeah, one more thing I don't like about Arcade Fire -- their fans (see above).

AF's turds have more talent than RATM? I could understand a turd vs. turd comparison, but comparing turds vs. an actual band is just wanky

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/turd.jpg

vs.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/LPG/51411~Rage-Against-The-Machine-Posters.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
i assume he likes his music in 13/7 or some fucked signature.

13/8

codytwo
03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Fuck that shit, 13/4 is where its at.

gaypalmsprings
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.chordsandtab.com/Marilyn_Manson.jpg

ewiggy
03-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I know some people have a problem with "harmless", because they want off-kilter vocals and lyrics about raping the eye socket of a vulture's corpse or detuned guitars.

that does sound pretty great.

SojuGorae
03-19-2007, 06:31 PM
have you even listen to "millions now living will never die" from tortoise
listen to the song 'along the banks of the river'
how can you say that its bad?

fyi im not a big tortoise fan.

I will listen to that song. If I don't like it, do I have permission to send you a neck punch via FedEx?

PassiveTheory
03-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
Underworld

YEAH... That'll get me a shitload of flack, especially since I'm on the verge of finally getting Radiohead, but I'm just being honest; I really don't understand why people are so in love with said groups. *le sigh* I still respect folks' admiration for said artists and what they've contributed to the artform of music, but I just don't get them!

SojuGorae
03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
I assume middle-aged women who grew up day-dreaming about getting banged by them make the majority of their fan-base.

SojuGorae
03-19-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't get Green Day. I'll give you Dookie, but hearing Boulevard Of Broken Dreams every five seconds on the radio a couple years ago tainted my liking of the band.

I've never been a fan of Green Day until American Idiot. That record is in my top 5, but to each his own.

Tylerdurden31
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
What I don't "get":

The Arcade Fire: I kind of do. Funeral is a good record. But I don't understand the masturbatory displays of affection for them. I have not seen them live yet, and Bryan says I should because that's part of it. But I thought the Coachella DVD performance was shit poor. Win sounded like shit when he was attempting to sing, the rest of the band was just playing. They were obviously into it, so I could see that element, but I don't understand the wild devotion. And I like that song on record.

I believe it's called The Pitchfork Effect (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.09/pitchfork.html)

Hannahrain
03-19-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm going to get put on an awful lot of ignore lists for this but...

...I really cannot stand Ben Gibbard.

NeverMyopic
03-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Conor Oberst.

Well, you wrote what I was going to. I just can't get into him either and don't understand what people see in him - like the girl crying during his song on the Coachella DVD.

But as stated earlier, I'm sure people don't understand how I can get into certain bands. Turbonegro, (old) AFI, Mew, etc...

samiksha
03-19-2007, 07:45 PM

uhh, i dont know, death cab for cutie is sort of an indie rock boy band. or something.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
Underworld

YEAH... That'll get me a shitload of flack, especially since I'm on the verge of finally getting Radiohead, but I'm just being honest; I really don't understand why people are so in love with said groups. *le sigh* I still respect folks' admiration for said artists and what they've contributed to the artform of music, but I just don't get them!

you're just a kid, kid. you'll get there.

Hannahrain
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm not just talking about death cab. I'm talking about any and all ben gibbard. Including the stuff people actually like.

La Ferrassie
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
uhh, i dont know, death cab for cutie is sort of an indie rock boy band. or something.
I never thought of them that way, but you are absolutely correct.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
a lot of people like death cab!

La Ferrassie
03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I enjoy their music, but indie boy band is just a good lable for them.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 08:01 PM
sorry, i should have used the quote feature. i was talking to hannah. so uhhh hannah no postal service eh?

Hannahrain
03-19-2007, 08:04 PM
sorry, i should have used the quote feature. i was talking to hannah. so uhhh hannah no postal service eh?

any and all ben gibbard.

AEversW
03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
the Hold Steady.

sam here. Craig Finn is so fucking annoying.

ewiggy
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
i don't really get the big deal over sufjan stevens. it's pretty, and i' do think he's a talented songwriter, but i just have absolutely no idea how or why everyone randomly decided to get into him all at the same time.

i suppose it's just really good marketing in the form of the "50 states" albums.

also, i think that we may have had the sufjan discussion already.

samiksha
03-19-2007, 08:31 PM

i'm sorry, i'm unclear on what this means.

J~$$$
03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
I hate this thread. Just because I dont get the hype around certain bands doesn't really amount to two shits, but Arcade Fire....I dont get it.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm weird, I guess. I love Postal Service but hate Deathcab.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I just don't get those metal bands with lead singers that sound like the Cookie Monster.

RATMan
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I just don't get those metal bands with lead singers that sound like the Cookie Monster.

Screw you, Pitchfork says the Cookie Monster is cool

http://www.deanesmay.com/files/deanesmay-250px-TV_cookie_monster_monsterpiece_theatre.jpg

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Screw you, Pitchfork says the Cookie Monster is cool

http://www.deanesmay.com/files/deanesmay-250px-TV_cookie_monster_monsterpiece_theatre.jpg

Band WITH Cookie Monster = Cool

Band SOUNDING LIKE Cookie Monster = Just stop it...

full on idle
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
these musicians has a following

codytwo
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't get the whole Lil Wayne thing. I mean, rap sucks, right?

fire_in_cairo
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Especially his kid.

muahahahahaha AHHHHH HAAAAA haaaaaaa

Lounge Fly
03-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Morrissey.

E

That was actually the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title of this post. For the most part I don't ever talk shit about anybody though because we all have different taste. Hell most of my friends hate my favorite band but I'm all about it.
That being said I see all these people that just seem to love Morrissey so much and I just don't get it.

arbouler
03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Arcade Fire. Really. I own Funeral and I spent time watching their set at Coachella. I just don't get it.

I do enjoy The Shins.

are you being funny or are you really serious?

the shins are so boring live. i dont get you.

arbouler
03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
soundgarden

sue me...

roberto73
03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I remain perplexed by the passion some people feel for Reel Big Fish. Or Save Ferris. Or Sublime. Or any of the other lame ska-punk bands that were popular for about five seconds in the '90's.

Bosco
03-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Wilco

Die Indie Rock Scum!!! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/waffen/violent-smiley-066.gif

fire_in_cairo
03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Radiohead
Bjork
The Beatles
Sugar Rose
Air
Interpol
The Arcade Fire
Morissey
fdaft Punk
Cold Play
Eliot Smith
Bob Dylan
the Pixies
the cure

NICKELBACK
AEROSMITH
AC/DC
ZZ TOP
GUNS N ROSES
JIMMY BUFFET
SYSTEM OF A DOWN
DISTURBED
KORN
JAY-Z
EVERLAST
CAKE
CANDLEBOX
SEETHER
HIM
FALL OUT BOY
BLINK 182
INSANE CLOWN POSSE
PUSSY CAT DOLLS
FERGIE
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
RAMMSTEIN
HOOBASTANK
WALLFLOWERS
MAROON 5
AFI
SWITCHFOOT

Boourns
03-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Joanna Newsom is horrible.

wmgaretjax
03-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Joanna Newsom is horrible.

you suck asshole

Boourns
03-20-2007, 03:39 AM
you suck asshole

Interesting. You've made such an intelligent argument for her music. A spacecase flake making a deliberate effort to be especially obnoxious by screeching like Lisa Simpson about nothing of meaning for 30 minutes while occasionally plucking a harp really is cromulent music? Who would've thought. Except for pitchfork, of course, they are gods and we should all bow down in worship of their agenda.

instinct
03-20-2007, 04:52 AM
LCD Soundsystem..

I REALLY try to like them.. everyone talks about how they are such a fun dance act.. the guys voice annoys me.. i slightly like Daft Punk is playing in my house, just because it's a song about Daft Punk.

instinct
03-20-2007, 04:55 AM
I seriously do not understand why people like EMO.. I don't get it.. at all.

It is VERY annoying to me, I once forced my friend to turn it off in his car or to pull over so i could call a cab... I think i hate it more than any other genre.

TheGunslinger138
03-20-2007, 05:10 AM

who ARE these people?

One of the "suitors" actually works in my girlfriend's office in their HR department. No kidding. He didn't make it too long. He called out New York's mom as a Poseur Jesus Freak and she booted his ass.

Boourns
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
One of the "suitors" actually works in my girlfriend's office in their HR department. No kidding. He didn't make it too long. He called out New York's mom as a Poseur Jesus Freak and she booted his ass.

Ahaha, I remember that.

Boourns
03-20-2007, 10:03 AM
LCD Soundsystem..

I REALLY try to like them.. everyone talks about how they are such a fun dance act.. the guys voice annoys me.. i slightly like Daft Punk is playing in my house, just because it's a song about Daft Punk.

I like them okay, but I don't love them. I do agree about his voice, but it's not nearly as horrible as the guy from The Rapture's. I like "Get Innocuous" and "New York I Love You"

amyzzz
03-20-2007, 10:13 AM
I seriously do not understand why people like EMO.. I don't get it.. at all.

It is VERY annoying to me, I once forced my friend to turn it off in his car or to pull over so i could call a cab... I think i hate it more than any other genre.
I agree. I was trying to listen through an emo song to the next song on the car radio because I was sick of flipping channels, and I about tore my eyeballs out. Luckily, the next song was New Order "Blue Monday." ALMOST worth it. I have no idea what the emo song was.

Boourns
03-20-2007, 10:22 AM
I know someone who looooves Evanescence. Ugh. I'm like "dude, you're 25 years old", not some 400 pound 15 year old Hot Topic girl.

mob roulette
03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
LCD Soundsystem..

i'm sorry. i so totally have to answer this. just cause i'm a fan. actually why don't i just let excerpts from next week's new york magazine do the talking for me? ahem:

James Murphy was nostalgic, too, but he yearned for a New York where sounds collided and styles followed suit, as outgrowths of creative chaos rather than traditions to fall back on. The only way to serve such a legacy was to reinvent it, so Murphy did what all restless scenemakers do—he started throwing parties.

Set in the empty lobby of a West Village office building, these affairs were legendarily wild, unhinged from any one scene. “We had some of the original graffiti writers, Zulu Nation kids, guys who worked in movies, smelly Brooklyn punks, old dance-music people, Rosie Perez on crutches—it was the weirdest mix of people you could ever see,” Murphy says. “I used to take two ecstasy pills, break them into quarters, and put them on the corners of the two turntables, and work my way through them as a D.J. set went on. I played Donna Summer, Kraftwerk, Public Image Ltd., the Beatles, the Stooges—anything. It really felt like something was happening.”

What was happening was a desegregation of sounds that made Murphy one of the city’s most celebrated musical characters. The disco-rock style he championed managed to stick, and he’s since plied it in a number of different guises: as a globe-trotting D.J., as a producer volleying ideas in his studio with the likes of Britney Spears, and as the leader of one of New York’s most exciting bands, LCD Soundsystem. All of Murphy’s work draws on an idea he proposed in his role as accidental impresario—that rock and disco could be reacquainted and could make a city move.

The duo bonded over boredom with New York, which they agreed was in a dire musical and cultural state with nothing but a legacy to trade on. “This is where all the music I’d always referenced comes from,” says Goldsworthy. “I expected break dancing on every corner. But then I came here and there was nothing going on whatsoever, just boring clubs and expensive bottle-service places.”

Gradually, Goldsworthy brought Murphy around to the pleasures of dance music. Drugs helped. Goldsworthy remembers the first time Murphy took ecstasy: “The D.J. put on ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ ”—the Beatles song with booming drums on Revolver—“and James was there dancing with his eyes closed. Everybody formed a ring around him and started chanting his name. James looked out and was like, ‘Yeah!!!!!’ ”

It was with Goldsworthy that Murphy threw his early parties and started working as a D.J., with an unusual participatory style—rather than stay hidden behind his turntables, he would jump out on the dance floor and throw his fists in the air. He took to his role as a cult hero and devoured anything that would keep him charged. “My 30th-birthday cake,” he says, laughing, “was 30 lines of coke on a Roxy Music record.”

With a scene catching on around them, Murphy and Goldsworthy started their own music production team and record label, both of which are known as DFA, short for Death From Above. Among the DFA roster of dance-rock acts is Murphy’s own LCD Soundsystem, which started as a “theoretical band.” Murphy positioned himself as dual figure—part rock star, part traitorous D.J. The LCD sound melded the synthetic rhythms of disco with rock’s cocksure vocals and loud guitars. The lyrics were pointed and off the cuff in the classic punk style. Murphy loved to rant against snobbery in all its incarnations.

so yeah basically it's a distillation. of everything they love about dance music. and it's an art project. a sweaty coke-fueled art project. and it fucking ROCKS. i personally have demo'd spaces, painted, prepped, hung art work, set up cash bars and turntables all while listening to dfa music. the party that comes afterwards is just icing on the cake.

so yeah. go out. flirt. drink. do drugs. you'll get it. it's FUN.

typeoserv
03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
White Stripes

Jacks voice makes me want to rip my ears off and stomp on them

chairmenmeow47
03-20-2007, 11:00 AM

if you're going to give green day any album, give them 1,039 smoothed out slappy hours! so many cute songs.

i'll agree that nimrod and beyong wasn't my thing, but they are a band that knows how to have fun and write cute, pop-punk love songs. i still listen to paper lanterns, going to pasalaqua and J.A.R.

their live shows are a blast too. so much energy, imagine that, a band having FUN with their crowd instead of trying to look all serious and cool or something.

i'm not trying to convert anyone and i see that you said you take back your comment, so i'm not bagging on ya. just wanted to say that's what i like about green day :)

André
03-20-2007, 11:08 AM
all indie bands

James_Murphy
03-20-2007, 11:17 AM
i personally have demo'd spaces, painted, prepped, hung art work, set up cash bars and turntables all while listening to dfa music. the party that comes afterwards is just icing on the cake.

Exactly. This music is tailor-made for the people throwing the party, whatever kind of party it may be.

algunz
03-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Barbara Streisand and Mariah Carey

James_Murphy
03-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Also, I'm cool...because I say I'm not.

Tylerdurden31
03-20-2007, 11:23 AM
all indie bands

as always...intelligent and useful input...

kreutz2112
03-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Rascal Flatts, have you guys seen the singer of this band? Girls go crazy over him?

Yablonowitz
03-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't get why people feel the need to expend a lot of energy drawing lines about what is good and what isn't good music.

HEADSTRUCK
03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
i would say arcade fire and all trance music

Tylerdurden31
03-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't get why people feel the need to expend a lot of energy drawing lines about what is good and what isn't good music.

it's like art or taste in food...there's really no point

samiksha
03-20-2007, 11:33 AM

so we can get to know one another!

Bosco
03-20-2007, 11:47 AM
i'm sorry. i so totally have to answer this. just cause i'm a fan. actually why don't i just let excerpts from next week's new york magazine do the talking for me? ahem:

James Murphy was nostalgic, too, but he yearned for a New York where sounds collided and styles followed suit, as outgrowths of creative chaos rather than traditions to fall back on. The only way to serve such a legacy was to reinvent it, so Murphy did what all restless scenemakers do—he started throwing parties.

Set in the empty lobby of a West Village office building, these affairs were legendarily wild, unhinged from any one scene. “We had some of the original graffiti writers, Zulu Nation kids, guys who worked in movies, smelly Brooklyn punks, old dance-music people, Rosie Perez on crutches—it was the weirdest mix of people you could ever see,” Murphy says. “I used to take two ecstasy pills, break them into quarters, and put them on the corners of the two turntables, and work my way through them as a D.J. set went on. I played Donna Summer, Kraftwerk, Public Image Ltd., the Beatles, the Stooges—anything. It really felt like something was happening.”

What was happening was a desegregation of sounds that made Murphy one of the city’s most celebrated musical characters. The disco-rock style he championed managed to stick, and he’s since plied it in a number of different guises: as a globe-trotting D.J., as a producer volleying ideas in his studio with the likes of Britney Spears, and as the leader of one of New York’s most exciting bands, LCD Soundsystem. All of Murphy’s work draws on an idea he proposed in his role as accidental impresario—that rock and disco could be reacquainted and could make a city move.

The duo bonded over boredom with New York, which they agreed was in a dire musical and cultural state with nothing but a legacy to trade on. “This is where all the music I’d always referenced comes from,” says Goldsworthy. “I expected break dancing on every corner. But then I came here and there was nothing going on whatsoever, just boring clubs and expensive bottle-service places.”

Gradually, Goldsworthy brought Murphy around to the pleasures of dance music. Drugs helped. Goldsworthy remembers the first time Murphy took ecstasy: “The D.J. put on ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ ”—the Beatles song with booming drums on Revolver—“and James was there dancing with his eyes closed. Everybody formed a ring around him and started chanting his name. James looked out and was like, ‘Yeah!!!!!’ ”

It was with Goldsworthy that Murphy threw his early parties and started working as a D.J., with an unusual participatory style—rather than stay hidden behind his turntables, he would jump out on the dance floor and throw his fists in the air. He took to his role as a cult hero and devoured anything that would keep him charged. “My 30th-birthday cake,” he says, laughing, “was 30 lines of coke on a Roxy Music record.”

With a scene catching on around them, Murphy and Goldsworthy started their own music production team and record label, both of which are known as DFA, short for Death From Above. Among the DFA roster of dance-rock acts is Murphy’s own LCD Soundsystem, which started as a “theoretical band.” Murphy positioned himself as dual figure—part rock star, part traitorous D.J. The LCD sound melded the synthetic rhythms of disco with rock’s cocksure vocals and loud guitars. The lyrics were pointed and off the cuff in the classic punk style. Murphy loved to rant against snobbery in all its incarnations.

so yeah basically it's a distillation. of everything they love about dance music. and it's an art project. a sweaty coke-fueled art project. and it fucking ROCKS. i personally have demo'd spaces, painted, prepped, hung art work, set up cash bars and turntables all while listening to dfa music. the party that comes afterwards is just icing on the cake.

thank you for that article! :)

SojuGorae
03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Barbara Streisand and Mariah Carey

Yentas with dry vaginas love Barbara Streisand

canexplain
03-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Conor Oberst.

i agree with that , when we saw him at coachella (05?) put us to sleep ... cr****