PDA

View Full Version : Noise curfew... did they have that last year?

DeadSkin
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I noticed on the rules that their is a 2am noise curfew. Did they have that last year or did people just pass out around then?

lalalollipop
01-16-2012, 09:25 PM
They definitely did not enforce a noise curfew since there was dub step playing until dawn every night at camping spots all around us. I'm fairly certain that it won't be enforced this year either since it would be way too much fucking work.

thetello
01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
there was a swing set by where the shuttle drop off spot was last year (right by my camp) that had a dj spinning til 3 each night and the party all night crew was definitely out well past 2 as well.

aphrael
01-17-2012, 05:39 AM
They officially had a noise curfew, yes. Predictably, it was very poorly enforced, if at all. I would expect the same this year.

wompwomp
01-17-2012, 05:48 AM
I was near the roller rink and I think they shut that down at 3. Everything seemed to die down after that.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Their is always a curfew, just in case they need to enforce it

aphrael
01-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Their is always a curfew, just in case they need to enforce it

Back in '09, one of the Procrastinators had smuggled in a mandolin (he got it through security by explaining that it wasn't a guitar, and since the rules only banned guitars, they let him in), and there was impromptu music, replete with the use of boxed macaroni+cheese as a marimba, until around sunrise.

Eventually security broke it up, which led - among other things - to someone's cot being confiscated for blocking the fire lane. The owner was asleep in his tent; someone had borrowed it to sit and listen to the music.

M Sparks
01-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Pretty sure they had the curfew last year. If they had it in 2010, they clearly were breaking it themselves, as the DJs at the clubhouse were going until 3 or 4. And what year did they have the afterhours dome?

natureboy
01-17-2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2010/07/14/1279148862-web-ear-plugs.jpg

Buy some.

PrettyToneBK
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Wait, guitars aren't allowed in the car camping but DJ equipment is?

rose925
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I noticed on the rules that their is a 2am noise curfew. Did they have that last year or did people just pass out around then?

yup this year its on the website that its 1:30am

who knows if they will actually enforce it..but ya, thats most deff new this year

Taylor
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Back in '09, one of the Procrastinators had smuggled in a mandolin (he got it through security by explaining that it wasn't a guitar, and since the rules only banned guitars, they let him in), and there was impromptu music, replete with the use of boxed macaroni+cheese as a marimba, until around sunrise.

Eventually security broke it up, which led - among other things - to someone's cot being confiscated for blocking the fire lane. The owner was asleep in his tent; someone had borrowed it to sit and listen to the music.

I was THERE.

aphrael
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Wait, guitars aren't allowed in the car camping but DJ equipment is?

It was all tent camping that year - you parked in a seperate lot and then lugged everything to your campsite. For some reason, guitars were specifically prohibited that year. Bongos, on the other hand, were not.

aphrael
01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I was THERE.

I wasn't, sorta. I'd crawled off to my tent around 3am, drunk enough to pass out, unable to stand. I heard all about it when I woke up and talked with my procrastinator brethren the next morning, though. :)

PrettyToneBK
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
What exactly is a "procrastinator" in terms of the festival?

cbarry1
01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
theres a fuckin noise curfew? definitely not enforced last year. my neighbor was screaming "slap the bag" until 6 o'clock in the morning while gettin wasted off boxed wine.

CitizenJ
01-19-2012, 08:51 PM
http://www.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2010/07/14/1279148862-web-ear-plugs.jpg

Buy some.

When my tent and body are shaking from the shitty dub step music rattling the ground from the car next to me, This crap won't do too much.

DeadSkin
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Who goes to Coachella to sleep?

frizzlefry
01-19-2012, 10:23 PM
If you're not too exhausted to just pass out regardless of your surroundings at some point after the festival is done, you failed.

anonimouse
01-20-2012, 12:07 AM

Buy some.

sorry but i had mine in when the assholes behind us got back to their camper at 5am and started blasting R.E. fucking O. Speedwagon's "cant fight this feeling anymore". and this after 4 hours of the bros next site playing guitar and doing shitty Sublime covers. there is already a Sublime cover band bros, its called Sublime with Rome

bottom line if you are a light sleeper and you cant go without sleep DO NOT CAMP!

DANCE MAGIC
01-20-2012, 12:11 AM
There has been a curfew every year, but its important to note that it isn't a curfew set by Goldenvoice, AEG or Coachella... it's set by the city of Indio. The noise ordinance is enforced mostly in relation to the actual stages, and there have been several artists that gone over, and fines have been imposed as a result. That's why you see things like The Orb and The Cure getting the power cut on them (01 and 09, respectively) before their sets are over.

Yeah, these curfews aren't enforced in the campgrounds? Why? How the fuck are you going to enforce that? Sure, Coachella doesn't give a fuck... because it isn't their rule. It's the city, and I think the city realizes that trying to enforce that in the campgrounds would be a bad scene for them.

aphrael
01-20-2012, 06:31 AM
What exactly is a "procrastinator" in terms of the festival?

Back in '09, when everything was tent camping and so it was easier to arrange large camping groups, there were a bunch of large camping groups which organized on the message boards and met up in the campgrounds. The camp all alone group, for example, and the party all weekend group, and the gay/straight party group, etc.

By late March, all of these groups had run up to 100+ people and declared themselves, for organizational purposes, full.

The "Procrastinators" group was a bunch of people who organized our own camping group, sorta at the last minute.

We had a blast. The group reunited in 2010 (in car camping) and added new members, and reunited again in 2011 and added new members.

This year, so far, there are four of us going to weekend 1.

dcbell05
01-20-2012, 07:59 AM
If you're not too exhausted to just pass out regardless of your surroundings at some point after the festival is done, you failed.

THIS!

CitizenJ
01-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Passing out is one thing, But I have never passed out hard enough to not be woken by earth rumbling dub step. Sure if a few Bros are just talking and playing jack johnson covers next door I can sleep through it. It's all the people on E next to me spinning Skrillex till 6am that I have the issue with.

aphrael
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Passing out is one thing, But I have never passed out hard enough to not be woken by earth rumbling dub step. Sure if a few Bros are just talking and playing jack johnson covers next door I can sleep through it. It's all the people on E next to me spinning Skrillex till 6am that I have the issue with.

if they're truly on E, you could probably get them to cuddle with you. :)

123[]{
01-21-2012, 12:16 AM
THIS!

exhaustion is the best way to sleep

jelwell
01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I had the cops tell me to turn off my CAR radio, at some point after the noise curfew hour. But handhelds, etc were fine.
Joseph Elwell.

daneskiiiz
01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
my group was in the very corner last year right next to the swings, and after hours DJ/campground party and none of us had a problem passing out without earplugs even with all the noise.... if you aren't exhausted from the day, and able to pass out, you didn't go hard enough all day

KCsunny
02-01-2012, 08:39 AM
There WAS a noise curfew and an inordinate amount of police around.......did not like.....

Goatchella
02-01-2012, 08:47 AM

I will do a walk through the camp at 2 am and take note of who is up partying late and being doucheness.
If someone wakes me up and I go back and see the same fuckers being douche and these are the guys that kept me up, I will set my alarm extra early (6am ) to bring an ice chest, boom box, air horn and rally up teh BROughs....

I will be rocking the fuck out at 6am right next to these fuckers tents while they try to recover.
Let's see who is more offended. I will bump spice girls and aqua songs until someone says sorry or wants their ass kicked.

KCsunny
02-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Yeah. ALWAYS bring earplugs if you don't wanna hear anything anymore. This is a festival about MUSIC..! duh

thetello
02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
my group was in the very corner last year right next to the swings, and after hours DJ/campground party and none of us had a problem passing out without earplugs even with all the noise.... if you aren't exhausted from the day, and able to pass out, you didn't go hard enough all day

oh shit... so you were right by the crew with the megaphone? my apologies, i was in that camp. however i was on the receiving end of that thing... it was used to wake me up at 9 am the first 2 days until we put a 'no megaphone before noon' noise ordinance on it.

billtino
02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Someone should organize a "Silent DJ Set" for the after noise curfew hours. BYO Headphones. win win...

waxer
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Someone should organize a "Silent DJ Set" for the after noise curfew hours. BYO Headphones. win win...

Never been in a silent disco but heard they are pretty awesome!! Down for this!

KCsunny
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Well done! :)

daneskiiiz
02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
oh shit... so you were right by the crew with the megaphone? my apologies, i was in that camp. however i was on the receiving end of that thing... it was used to wake me up at 9 am the first 2 days until we put a 'no megaphone before noon' noise ordinance on it.

YEAH!! We had 10 campsites right next to each other in the very corner, heard the megaphone but we didn't really care... we only sleep 2-3 hours a night that weekend anyways. Did you enjoy the "wake up and dance" party in the wee hours of the morning as much as we did?