PDA

View Full Version : Hire Car - Car Camping

Chester2304
01-16-2012, 10:15 AM
We will be travelling from the UK so planning to Hire a Car in USA as we have Car Camping tickets.

Looking at getting a fairly decent sized car, one option is a "Dodge Caravan". Would this be a good option for the festival?

Also, do people actually sleep in their cars? If yes, would this Car be ok to sleep in.

Apologies if the answers fairly obvious but I'm not familiar with these cars in UK

Cheers

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Alright people do sleep in their cars but it can get awfully hot.

A) how many people are in your group?
B) Where are you looking to rent a car from?

Something you may want to look into is this, http://www.escapecampervans.com

I don't know how expensive the dodge caravan you're looking to rent is but this may be an alternative to that.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry for the double post!

gaypalmsprings
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
We don't hire cars here. That's why our unemployment rate is so high.

captncrzy
01-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Caravans are large passenger vans. I assume a couple of people could sleep in them, but it does get incredibly hot, even early in the morning. I'd consider just renting a regular car and then grabbing some cheap camping gear at Walmart so you can sleep outside. You can even order the gear ahead of time online at Walmart.com and have it shipped to the store for free so it's ready for you to pick up (which I would suggest, since their supplies will be pretty depleted).

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Camping/4128

No, I don't work for Walmart.

tigermilkboy
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I assume you will be arriving at somewhere like LA. If so, then I would go to a Walmart or Target. You can get a 2-person tent for $25.

Personally, wouldn't sleep in the car. It isn't the UK, the car will be baking hot once the sun is up from 7am. Even at night the car will still be hot/warm. Unless you plan to turn the air conditioning on, you will be uncomfortable.

JustSteve
01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
anyone remember that site that had those funky one of a kind hand painted rv's/vw vans? believe they had 8-10 to choose from. interested in case my free rv falls through this year.

Mugwog
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Go American, get the biggest SUV possible, you can fit tons of shit in it, and it will make you feel like a true wanker. Hummer 3 is best option

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-16-2012, 07:33 PM
anyone remember that site that had those funky one of a kind hand painted rv's/vw vans? believe they had 8-10 to choose from. interested in case my free rv falls through this year.

Go read my post in THIS thread towards the top....