PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Best Coachella Moments from 1999 to 2011

darthlaker
01-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I have had the pleasure to attend every coachella and i have to say that from 1999 to 2011 there have been some big moments that only coachella can bring. From st. germains sunset set in 2001 to last years arcade fire's led ball dropping moment. Here are my Top 5.

1) the pyramid revelation Daft Punk 2006 (amazing and if you weren't there then you just don't know)
2) the bass on the Gloaming Radiohead 2004 (can be 2012 be better? i'll find out in less then 3 months)
3) coachella grounds erupting Rage Against The Machine 2007 (reunited and it feels so good)
4) guitar being played by pliers Portishead 2008 (yes they sounded better then prince and better then dark side of the moon that year)
5) 3 way tie here. sorry folks. Bauhaus 2005 (peter murphy hanging upside down like a bat and singing all of Bela Lugosi's Dead)
hearing most of 10,000 days Tool 2006 (they sounded real real good that night)
thom yorke and flea playing together atoms for peace 2010 (they did all of the eraser)

what are yours?

Pixiessp
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
I kinda think this thread had been done before but I'll partake.

Daft Punk 2006
All those people, All that dancing, That pyramid, Those beats

Bauhaus 2005
When I heard Belo Lugosi start up and THEN saw Peter Murphy dangling upside down. I lost it. I kept muttering various cuss words. I was cussing with joy.

Portishead 2008
The music, the beautiful weather, the emotion. BETH

My Bloody Valentine 2009
I was just so happy to finally experience MBV. I also enjoyed watching the dorks that were unaware of the sheer noise volume of You Made Me Realise scampering away with a look of pain.

Pixies 2004
Everything. The reason I came to Coachella in the first place.

ivankay
01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
1) Daft Punk (2006) - the anticipation of years fully realized and more

2) Moby (1999) - Turning off all the lights at the Outdoor and having us soak in the stars and sky

3) Orbital (2010) - Perfect execution from my number one anticipated set that year with the joy of Glorbital thrown into the mix.

4) Bauhaus (2005) - i'm with you guys (^^^). Mr. Murphy upside down for Bela into a flawless set. Killed me.

5) Arcade Fire (2005) - Glorious

Boourns
01-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Fever Ray - specific moment? time ceased to have meaning during that set
Daft Punk taking the stage and the unveiling of the pyramid.
Prince closing one hell of a set with "Let's Go Crazy". His house, indeed.
The sun going down during Pixies at my first Coachella
Hallelujah (the original Leonard Cohen version)

misterpickles
01-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Sundown/Miss You - Trentemoller 2011
The beginning and the end - Plastikman 2010
The two lasers emerging through the fog at the beginning of If I Had A Heart - Fever Ray 2010
Atlas - Battles 2008
Seeing a Kenny Powers look-a-like in the Do Lab - 2009 (Trust me, it was that good)

DeadSkin
01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
5) (2010) DeadMau5 changing my life
4) (2011) Shrooms for Lil' B The Based God
3) (2001) Weezer playing Surf Wax USA
2) (2011) Thursday
1) (2001) Janes Addiction playing Summertime Rolls while my best friend and his girlfriend slow danced among the insane crowd.

unit300021
01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Just note my parents thought I was to young in 2006 and had other prior obligations in 08 that prevented me from going.

5) Friday of 2010, Only time I've ever camped out at a stage all day, let alone the Main Stage, but SSSC, The Specials, Them Crooked Vultures, LCD, Jay-Z really just left me no choice and none were disappointing at all.

4) Rodrigo Y Gabriela 2007. Never heard of them was just walking by and was drawn til tent from crazy guitar playing, been hooked on them ever since.

3) Paul McCartney 2009. Seeing a living Beatle preform was a dream come true for me. He played with the energy and had the voice of someone 20 plus years younger then him. Such a great performance period.

2) Leonard Cohen 2009. Overall was great set but when he did Hallelujah was magical. Everyone in my area holding to each other swaying back in forth was such a beautiful moment for everyone there. I am not a religious person by any means but that was the most spiritual moment I've ever been apart of.

1) Jonsi 2010. Just one of those if you were there you know, and if you weren't you missed out. I've plenty of Video's of the coachella performance and they don't do it justice and I have seen Jonsi since with his full production, but it still wasn't as great as that first time at Coachella.

KickerConspiracy
01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
1. Friday Evening, 2009. Hard to do better than Leonard Cohen into Moz into Paul McCartney. Thought Moz kind of phoned it in, but I loved seeing Leonard Cohen and McCartney. I can't imagine I was thinking of trying to check out the Presets during Macca's set. It was fantastic.

2. Suede, 2011. One of my favorite bands on their first stateside tour in 15 years. My only complaint was that they didn't play long enough.

3. Fever Ray 2010. This show was brilliant on so many levels. Because all the members of her band wear masks I didn't even know which member Karin was until 3 or 4 songs in. The highlight of the year.

4. Public Enemy 2009. I love Nation of Millions and they played the whole record. It was Flavor Flav's 50th birthday which he celebrated by stagediving. Definitely the surprise of the festival.

5. Arcade Fire 2011. Surprisingly great set. Giant ballon drop during Wake Up was fun.

thestripe
01-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Pixies 2004
Everything. The reason I came to Coachella in the first place.

This.

DANCE MAGIC
01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I'll play:

5) Rage Against the Machine (2007) - The anticipation right before they took the stage was crazy
4) Fever Ray (2010) - being handed a bag of mushrooms while on the front rail and shooting rad video of the whole set
3) Janes Addiction (2001) - When the whole band was out on the weird small stages in the crowd, and then Flea came out on the main stage. Epic.
2) Daft Punk (2006) - The pyramid was crazy.
1) Prince (2008) - He made direct eye contact with me and communicated directly to me with hand gestures and he threw me his towel. That. fucking. happened.

GOSHMAC
01-17-2012, 04:22 AM
For me:
1) My Bloody Valentine with their You Made Me Realize. Never saw and heard something like before and after (2009)
2) The Cure playing their set with power switched off due to curfew (2009)
3) 2Many Djs set in 2010
4) Chemical Brothers in 2011; and
5) Sir Paul in 2009. He played 3h+ show as if he was 25 yo

JC2011
01-17-2012, 06:43 PM
5) Getting to watch Chemical Brothers rock the crowd 2002 (Sahara) & 2005 in the tent. Hey girl.. Hey Boy... Superstar Dj's here we go!
4) Getting to finally see Prodigy in 2005 after missing them in 2002.... OHHH The BASS was incredible.
3) When the Beastie Boys were rocking out and Mix Master Mike's record flies off the turntable(IT WAS SUPER WINDY), and they said, "screw it, we'll go a cappella" and proceeded to rock the crowd even more.2003
2) Daft Punk! 2006~ It's kinda hard to explain, not really like any other EDM group I've ever seen. To this day I could listen to the live bootleg and get pumped.
1) Each year when your with really good friends, sippin' a brew, watching the sun go down over the horizon of palm trees, with amazing live music all around, and enjoying the fact that your in a place called... Coachella. It's always the best. 2002,2003,2005,2006

Vic Viper
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
daft punk '06
kraftwerk '08
fever ray '10
the presets '11
high contrast '11

honorable mention: flying lotus '09

venturas90sgirl
01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Portishead in 08 for being one of the most beautifully entrancing sets.
My Bloody Valentine in 09 for destroying my ears in all the right ways.
Pavement reunion 2010!!!
Suede reunion 2011!!!!!! whoever upthread said they're only gripe was not playing long enough here here! It also would've been nice if Mat had been able to make the trip.
Elbow 2011, One Day Like This a year indeed saw me right :-)

fatbastard
01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
5-Laying in the grass and the closest group of people were 40 feet away

4-Sweetleaf food and smoothies

3-BBQ vendors prior to the stagecoach BBQ competition

2- Air, Amy Winehouse, Bauhaus, Ben Watt, Bjork, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Erica Badu, Gil Scott-Heron, Goldfrapp, Junior Boys, Kraftwerk, Leonard Cohen, Love and Rockets, Madonna, My Bloody Valentine, Oasis, Paul Oakenfold (Sahara tent the long way), Prince, Roger Waters, Sigur Růs, Sly Stone, The Charlatans UK, The Jesus and Mary Chain (minus Scarlett), The Prodigy, The Specials, The Verve, TV on The Radio, Zero 7

1-Ruth Chris’s sandwich

D-BO.
01-19-2012, 05:48 PM
//2manydjs (2010)
//Mastadon (2009)
//Boys Noize (2011)
//Portugal. The Man (2010)
//Ghostland Observatory (2009)

Mucho Maas
01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
1. "Yeah," by LCD (2010) - floored. never wanted that song to end.
2. The Pyramid (2006) - obviously, there's a reason people talk about Daft Punk every year...regardless of how tiresome it gets.
3. Digable Planets crowd (2006) - never has a groove felt so unified
4. Duet for "Will there be Enough Water?" (2010) - Not even Tiesto bleeding over from the main stage could ruin The Dead Weather
5. The Balls (2011) - Arcade Fire's set was phenomenal, and the ending was icing on the cake.

TomAz
01-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Roky Ericson tearing into "Two Headed Dog" at the end of his set
Linton Kwesi Johnson spoken word
Leonard Cohen the whole fucking set
Public Image Ltd best sound I've heard by anybody ever
Gang of Four 2004

chairmenmeow47
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
the cure 2004 playing "close to me". this is more of a personal nostalgia thing, but the cure is why i came to coachella.
daft punk 2006, for the same reasons others have said. they teased with "da funk" for like 12 minutes.
roni size reprazent 2009. this entire set was fantastic, though hardly anyone was at the outdoor theatre because of stupid etienne de crappy.
prodigy dropping "outer space" in 2005 and bringing down the disco ball.
this badass piano player jumping on the organ in 2010 to play "let it be" while the entire crowd sang along. i was lucky enough to be next in line for the piano and it was cool to watch the guy play.

honorable mention to the pixies sunset set in 2004. anytime i hear "where is my mind", i think of kim leaning forward and singing those first few notes.

thom cobain
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Roger Waters - best set at Coachella
Thom Yorke - enjoyed more than the Radiohead set
Queens of the Stone Age (2003) - most psychedelic performance by a rock band
Underworld - favorite Sahara set
Prince - coolest place to be at that moment

SDsoldier7
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
//2manydjs (2010)
//Mastadon (2009)
//Boys Noize (2011)
//Portugal. The Man (2010)
//Ghostland Observatory (2009)

you need to drown yourself in a shallow puddle of water.

mmblack
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
5. LCD on the main in 2010. after they finished playing 'yeah' me, my friend, and a completely random dude all simultaneously said "holy fucking shit." that was simply mind-blowing.
4. i was at justice completely by myself in 2008. i decided to crowd surf and out of nowhere someone snatches me out of the air. it was my friends who i hadn't seen since walking into the gates at the beginning of the day. two of us looked at each other, hugged, then had people launch us back up and crowd surfed again.
3. high contrast. i spent all weekend telling everyone i knew/met to not miss that set. we ran into the festival precisely as he was starting and danced like crazy with ~40 friends the entire time.
3. orbital. that is all.
2. macca playing 'hey jude' as i stood by myself next to a ~40-year old woman and her probably 65-year old mother. we all had our arms around each other singing. i'd never met them, and i've never seen them again. 3 generations enjoying the same song in the exact same way. beautiful.
1a. the presets closing with 'my people' and being with a group of about 30 friends jumping in a circle in the back. that's what coachella is all about, part of me doesn't even care about how shitty the dance line-up is this year, because i know there will still be moments like that. and then 1b. we drove home and tlc - creep came on on shuffle. boom.

abbeyroad 04
01-20-2012, 06:06 PM
1. Paul McCartney - The whole thing was amazing, but "Let it Be" made me cry.
2. The Verve - The first time hearing "Bittersweet Symphony" live by one of the best bands ever with one of the best albums ever.
3. Stereophonics - "Maybe Tommorow". Just Kelly Jones and a guitar.
4. Elbow - "One Day Like This" - The best performance of last year.
5. Crowded House - 1st Reunion show I'd seen of one of my favorite bands without Paul Hester. Once again, nearly a crying moment.

nerdtram
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
5. Johnny Lydon telling the audience if they had a headache from Jay-Z to take a PiL - 2010
4. Hurts opening up the entire festival - 2011
3. The Audience HATING MGMT playing Siberian Breaks - 2010
2. Wayne Coyne in The Flaming Lips Audience Hamster Ball - 2004
1. The Unleashment of Glow Balls during Arcade Fire (and me taking one home) - 2011

LiquidL
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I kinda think this thread had been done before but I'll partake.
Portishead 2008
The music, the beautiful weather, the emotion. BETH

My first Coachella
Only one word for that set: sublime

My Bloody Valentine 2009
I was just so happy to finally experience MBV. I also enjoyed watching the dorks that were unaware of the sheer noise volume of You Made Me Realise scampering away with a look of pain.

Never cared much for MBV until I saw them live that year. They had this amazingly long guitar riff that seemingly went on for eternity in my tripped out mind - good times.

I gotta say Prince was ridiculously awesome. His execution of each move and the music was synchronized like a fuckin atomic clock, same went for his entourage of supporting dancers.

Prince smashed it.

oasis4life2002
01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
The Prodigy 02
Sasha 11
Rage Against the Machine 07
Atoms for Peace 10
The Chemical Brothers 09

RickeyinLA
01-21-2012, 09:05 PM
- St. Germain at the Outdoor Stage in the afternoon of 2001 made me realize I would not miss another Coachella as long as I can walk.
- Underworld in the Sahara Tent where I completely lost my legs.
- Gang of Four / Bauhaus tie, both truly incredible performances.
- Bjork both times, I couldn't believe it was happening and I still can't.
- the anticipation on the polo pitch before Rage Against the Machine was ridiculous electric. Great, but waaay better at Vegoose.

- honorable mention to She Wants Revenge in 2006 (if you were there you're an idiot and I'm so so sorry you missed the robots land).

artisticcreator
01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Orbital
Daft Punk
Art of Noise
TiŽsto
DJ Krush

seriously though, I would have a hard time stopping at 100 favorites!

JoshTheBoyd
01-22-2012, 10:25 AM
1. Daft punk 06... I was not even into electronic music at the time, I just went cause I didn't give a fuck about depeche mode or she wants revenge.... And yeah, changed my life.
2. Leonard Cohen>>Paul McCartney 09 simply beautiful sequence of events
3. The Aquabats 11... A childhood dream fulfilled (being able to see the Aquabats in a psychedelics friendly environment!)
4. Portishead>>prince 08.... Still possibly the greatest full day of coachella that I've been to (man man, boys Noize, hot chip, animal collective as well)
5. Animal collective 11... Still not sure how we got lucky with animal collective on the main stage... Another dream for me

Interwebz
01-23-2012, 02:25 AM
I've only been once so I'll say

1. Murder City Devils
2. Paul McCartney
3. My Bloody Valentine
4. Fucked Up
5. The Cure

ThatGirl
01-23-2012, 05:44 AM
Elbow 2011, One Day Like This a year indeed saw me right :-) That song, that whole set in fact, was pretty top shelf.

Finlander
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
1. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- '04- They Played 3 amazing songs...then the sound went out. they were pissed but continued playing the whole set acoustic..there was only like 50 people sitting in the grass because everyone left.amazing!
2. The Black Keys- '04- rocked that tent before they got BIG
3. Carl Cox -'06- fuck n a
4. Tool- '06 I think I almost died
5. Radiohead -'04. I cried

sddoctor
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
I've been attending every Coachella since 2002...

1. Daft Punk - '06 - Epic...'nuff said.
2. Paul McCartney - '09 - playing "Birthday" on my Birthday..
3. Pixies-->Kraftwerk--->Radiohead - '04 - It seemed as if the entire crowd move from Main Stage to Sahara to Main Stage to catch this fantastic feat of scheduling
4. Arcade Fire - '05 - Their debut blew away everyone at the Outdoor Theatre
5. Prince - '08 - A true showman.

Plus, so many other great acts...too many to recall...always a great time at Coachella!

rasooli
03-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Went in 07 and 10. I saw the entire Arcade Fire performance from last year on live stream and I would put that in my top 5, but I dont think that counts considering I wasnt actually there.

1. Rage Against the Machine
2. Flying Lotus ('10)
3. Orbital
4. DJ Shadow ('07)
5. tie between MSTRKRFT ('07) and Wolfgang Gartner

bartelby
03-17-2012, 04:00 PM
daft punk - for all the reasons above and because the people we met last night resulted in the most magical weekend
pixies/radiohead - what brought me to coachella....so, so perfect
lcd soundsystem (08) - in the sahara, all of my friends, bliss...
teddybears - random, fun, BEARS
portishead - they were transcendant, perfect-pitch, and so much better than what was an, admittedly, awesome prince show

hon mentions:
arcade fire (05) - hype = met
broken social scene (04) - the marriage proposal, anthems, love love love
macca - macca

juloxx
03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
1.) feeling the rage in the air when RATM played.
2.) sunday night at the canpgrouds (insert year)
3) sunday night at the canpgrouds (insert year)
4.) sunday night at the canpgrouds (insert year)
5.) sunday night at the canpgrouds (insert year)

4) (2011) Shrooms for Lil' B The Based God.

Christ that set put the biggest grin on my face and i was sober... this sounds glorious

Sigur Ros Stache
03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
1. Seeing Trent Reznor come out in a white flowy shirt only to shed it and reveal the new Trent.
2. Watching Editors next to the "Madonna" tent and telling everyone to "shhhhh" maybe we can hear her, the crowd booing and Tom saying "well i guess we won't do our version of Holiday then.
3. Being Amanda Palmers bitch for a few hours and introduce her on stage as being one of her "letters" spelling AMANDA FUCKING PALMER
4. Just being a part of the Two Door Cinema Club audience....AMAZING
5. The first time I saw the change from day to night on the fields, it was like you had been transported to a totally different place.

Somewhat Damaged
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
3. Pixies-->Kraftwerk--->Radiohead - '04 - It seemed as if the entire crowd move from Main Stage to Sahara to Main Stage to catch this fantastic feat of scheduling

Kraftwerk played after Radiohead.

lcd soundsystem (08) - in the sahara, all of my friends, bliss...

They played the Sahara in 2007.

Mine:

1. Portishead 2008 - I usually build up my expectations too high, to the point that I'm inevitably disappointed or underwhelmed. Not the case with Portishead. The mushrooms kicked in early on into the set and helped to make the experience the best I've ever had. It set the bar so high that I question whether it can ever be topped. I was dancing so hard during "We Carry On" that I seriously felt I had been transported to another universe.

2. Daft Punk 2006 - there's a reason this is among the top of the list for so many people. Their appearance on the poster prompted me to leap out of my chair and running around the room like a 4-year-old on Christmas day. Their performance lived up to that excitement and almost ruined electronic music for me because no EDM artist since has remotely come close to touching the mastery that the robots put on display. I was drenched in sweat after 80 minutes of dancing and was momentarily not self-conscious about how I looked.

3. Fever Ray 2010 - mushrooms played a big role in enhancing the experience of seeing her for the second time and blowing the first performance out of the water. Being among so many friends, including new ones made while waiting for Karin to arrive, all wearing homemade masks, summed up the Coachella experience best.

4. Arcade Fire 2011 - I had seen them twice in the past few months, on top of having seen them 3 other times previously (including their first 2 Coachella performances), so I knew what to expect. But the band came out and played with an enthusiasm and energy that showed they still possessed the same passion that had garnered them such a fervent following 6 years earlier and laid to rest any questions about whether their headliner status had been warranted. It was as if they still felt they had something to prove. They weren't resting on their laurels or phoning it in; they were putting on the performance of their lives. And then the LED balls dropped at the end of the main set, letting us know that the best was yet to come.

5. LCD Soundsystem 2007 - "Yeah" was so insane, there was some probably-Ecstasy-addled kid jumping up and down behind me, bumping into me with each leap, and I wasn't bothered at all because the band was just killing it so completely. It was a year after Daft Punk and James Murphy & co. showed that live instruments could get you to dance that maniacally just as well.

Honorable mentions:
Prodigy 2002
Soulwax 2007
Underworld 2003
Nine Inch Nails 2005
Paul McCartney 2009

JonnyB
03-22-2012, 12:14 PM
1) Rage Against the Machine - 99
2) Mix Master Mike battle Rahzel - 99
3) Tool - 99
4) Discovering the insane sounds of DnB for the first time. 99
5) Pavement getting 'booed' off the stage and the crowd yelling "Rage, Rage, Rage" in between their songs 99

Vodkagirl
03-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Disclaimer: I've only gone the last two years so I have limited experiences to choose from.

1. Muse 2010-This was my first real experience at the Coachella stage.
2. Band of Skulls 2010- SO happy they'll be back this year. This was one of the best crowds I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of.
3. Foster the People 2011- the band was incredibly humble and you could just see the disbelief on their faces that so many people were crammed in the tent to see them.
4. Mumford and Sons 2011- singing Little Lion Man with thousands of fans.
5. Cage the Elephant 2011- matt schultz was higher than a kite and stage diving in his little red dress. Again, an amazing crowd!

lt.roast.a.botch
03-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Only been 2 years as well:

1. Trentmoller 2011 sunset was everything I hoped it to be
2. Sasha 2011 - was taken for a journey
3. LCD Soundsystem 2010 - Losing My Edge and I was losing my mind. I was there.
4. Arcade Fire 2011 - liked them but understood why to love them
5. The xx 2010 - Watching the mainstage on fire during sunset. I wanted to see something else but went along with friends. I dont remember what that was and I will always remember this moment.

garrett1008
03-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Only been the last 2 years (going this year!)

5. The XX 2010 - Incredible set.

4. Hot Chip 2010 - Just constant dancing.

3. Miike Snow 2010 - The crowd participation was incredible.

2. DJ Lance Rock 2010 - The biggest surprise because I didn't even notice him on the lineup.

1. Arcade Fire 2011 - It's pretty hard to have a surprise during your favorite bands set. You have certain expectations. This set exceeded them.

zircona1
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Last year was the first year I went, but my #1 moment was the start of the Chemical Brothers set, with the crowd getting hyped up, waving glowsticks, and then when they dropped "the time has come to...........GALVANIZE", it just set everyone off, throwing glowsticks and getting showered by them as that song blared across the Polo Fields. It was a fucking joyous moment.

hotpantsdiva
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
I loooved Chemical Brothers last year. The visuals, the dancing, the glow sticks. Everything about the set was fantastic.

hotpantsdiva
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
2011 - Cut/Copy tent. Everyone was dancing their ass off, and the energy was amazing
2009 - Morrissey because it was for the fans and his voice still sounds like butta
2008 - Hot Chip. The sun setting behind the crowd as the dance party begins.

garrett1008
03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
I will never forgive myself for missing Cut Copy's set.

It is more regrettable than missing LCD in '10.

TomAz
03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Leonard Cohen
Roky Erickson
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Thelonious Monster
Gang of Four
Gillian Welch
Kraftwerk
Battles
X
PiL

darthlaker
05-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Now I will add Tupac Showing up on Dre and Snoop's set weekend 1. That shit was EPIC!

amyzzz
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Leonard Cohen
Roky Erickson
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Thelonious Monster
Gang of Four
Gillian Welch
Kraftwerk
Battles
X
PiL
Your forgot Daft Punk.

DagnyTag
05-02-2012, 11:45 PM
1. Arcade Fire '05, '07, '11 their energy is infectious, and I always have a gigantic smile on my face when I watch them
2. Portishead - I never imagined I would see them live (I have since seen them again, but Coachella was better) Beth was incredible and sounded amazing. My friend wasn't feeling well and wanted to leave with her bf after the 2nd song, I stayed put and was in a trance during their set. Speechless
3. Radiohead 2004 - I had never seen them live, that set was perfect
4. Prince/ Roger Waters/ Paul McCartney - incredible performances by music legends that I never thought I would see live
5. Phoenix followed by Thom York &AFP at the Outdoor 2010 - clusterfuckchella, yet this is what I remember

There are so many more, hard to pick. Just walking onto the polo fields on the first day is a "best moment" :pulse

ez-flirt
11-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Hello,
All replies are very good.
Thanks to all.

Drewski27
11-03-2012, 11:20 PM
So here goes...

1. The first time I stepped foot onto the polo grounds in 2007 and just taking everything in. I will never forget that very moment.
2. The crowds energy for Rage Against the Machine. I have never felt that kind of energy prior to that moment.
3. Camping for the first time in 2009 and hearing Paul McCartney sound check while setting up camp. When it finally came time for his show, the four different groups of people we were with all seemed to merge from being separated from throughout the day at the exact same time all singing "Nah na na nahhhhh" for Hey Jude. So special.
4. Prince.
5. Weekend one of 2012 for Radioheads' set. Right after completing Karma Police, as they were fading out you could here everyone in the crowd start singing out the chorus "For a minute there, I lost myself. I lost myself." And then Thom joined in for a quick second. Made the entire two weekends right there for me.

kvnty
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
2011 - Cut/Copy tent. Everyone was dancing their ass off, and the energy was amazing
2009 - Morrissey because it was for the fans and his voice still sounds like butta
2008 - Hot Chip. The sun setting behind the crowd as the dance party begins.

I will never ever ever forget how balls out amazing Cut Copy (and the crowd) was in 2011. I still watch the YouTube videos and get chills.

kvnty
11-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I will never ever ever forget how balls out amazing Cut Copy (and the crowd) was in 2011. I still watch the YouTube videos and get chills.

http://youtu.be/FblMhN-tdSA

... and this mofo does a decent job of capturing the vibe.

bmack86
11-21-2012, 08:26 PM
1. Throbbing Gristle absolutely destroying Persuasion with a brightly lit, sparsely attended Mojave tent.
2. Daft Punk pyramid. It was that good.
3. Peter Murphy of Bauhaus dropping from the rafters and singing all of Bela Lugosi's Dead while hanging from his feet.
4. Q and not U -> The Evens -> Beck in the Gobi. Hot damn that was a great 1-2-3.
5. Arcade Fire 2005. The glowballs were spectacular, but they owned the field completely when Win chucked his mic into the crowd at the end of Rebellion.

FEELS
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
1. Jeff Mangum, weekend II 2012. Against the railing front and center, having him say "thanks and that it's really special when he hears that" to me for telling him his music changed my life, and seeing him basically save a fainted attendee. Definitely one of the most amazing hours I've yet to experience.
2. My Bloody Valentine, 2009. Nothing much to say about that one, if you were there, you know. Being drowned out by that beautiful noise was something else.
3. Walking onto the polo fields for the first time in '06 at a ripe thirteen. Will never forget that
4. Arcade Fire, 2011. Yes, the glowballs, along with the thousands of people screaming AaaahhHHhh during Wake Up.
5. Sunday night/morning in the campgrounds, weekend I 2012. It was my first time camping this past year. Walking around drunk with my best friend, meeting loads of cool people until the sun came up.

algunz
11-21-2012, 10:39 PM
1. Walking on to the polo fields for the first time every year
2. Driving past the windmills on the way in
3. Lying on the grass & counting the laser lights in the sky
4. Finding my groove & dancing like nobody is watching
5. Picking up the schedule booklet & flipping through it for the millionth time

Neighborhood Creep
11-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Disclaimer: I've only gone the last two years so I have limited experiences to choose from.

1. Muse 2010-This was my first real experience at the Coachella stage.
2. Band of Skulls 2010- SO happy they'll be back this year. This was one of the best crowds I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of.
3. Foster the People 2011- the band was incredibly humble and you could just see the disbelief on their faces that so many people were crammed in the tent to see them.
4. Mumford and Sons 2011- singing Little Lion Man with thousands of fans.
5. Cage the Elephant 2011- matt schultz was higher than a kite and stage diving in his little red dress. Again, an amazing crowd!
Sucks to be you

Neighborhood Creep
11-21-2012, 11:10 PM
5. Picking up the schedule booklet & flipping through it for the millionth time

I feel like I stare more at that than the acts

kimbico
11-22-2012, 09:02 AM
5. Weekend one of 2012 for Radioheads' set. Right after completing Karma Police, as they were fading out you could here everyone in the crowd start singing out the chorus "For a minute there, I lost myself. I lost myself." And then Thom joined in for a quick second. Made the entire two weekends right there for me.

Did you go weekend two as well? After Karma Police ended, the audience all joined in and kept singing "For a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself..." and Thom started laughing and just said, "Beautiful!"

It was one of the best moments of my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u1qf-sxdJ4

getbetter
11-22-2012, 07:40 PM
^meh.....

l_uBA7Fq5yE

gp1Ho5_J2Iw

kI-tQ40OymA

Insert Prince's performance

pWnwlC6bw00

bananahambone
11-22-2012, 07:44 PM
plastikman is dope

bmack86
11-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Seriously kids, Throbbing Gristle was the best thing in 09. And yes, I saw all of My Bloody Valentine, and they were spectacular.

getbetter
11-22-2012, 08:52 PM
I didnt see enough of Throbbing Gristles. :(

CrimesceneCookie
11-23-2012, 12:31 AM
I didn't follow the rules. This is what I liked every year.

2003 - Fischerspooner closing the Mojave
2004 - Kraftwerk in the Sahara
2005 - Bauhaus on the Main
2006 - This was just the best year. Other than everyone's favorite, Massive Attack on the main
2007 - Spank Rock closing the Gobi (?)
2008 - Kraftwerk/Portishead/Prince
2009 - THROBBING GRISTLE
2010 - Plastikman
2011 - Animal Collective on the Main
2012 - Radiohead fo sho.

getbetter
11-23-2012, 06:05 AM
I almost saw spank rock.I dont know why other than someone told me to but I ended up not going.

Josh_Garrett
11-23-2012, 10:53 PM
pWnwlC6bw00

I probably sound like an idiot but who is this? I NEED TO KNOW!

getbetter
11-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Fever Ray

Drewski27
11-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Did you go weekend two as well? After Karma Police ended, the audience all joined in and kept singing "For a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself..." and Thom started laughing and just said, "Beautiful!"

I was at both weekends.
Holy shit, that did happen both weekends. I remember weekend one a bit better though, wasn't as mentally twisted.

IceyHotshot
11-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't really have any moment i consider very special from 2012.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 02:53 PM
1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor (both weekends/full set), '12
2. Portishead, '08
3. Fever Ray->Public Image Ltd, '10
4. Leonard Cohen->Paul McCartney, '09
5. Roger Waters (performing Dark Side of the Moon + greatest hits), '08
6. the last 20min of My Bloody Valentine, '09
7. Aphex Twin, '08
8. Crookers, '09 (because of the drugs..)
9. Orbital->Plastikman, '10 (despite the drugs..)
10. Scala & Kohency Bros closing out the Gobi to 15 people (during Chem Bros/Boys Noize/Flogging Molly)

i didn't go until '07, but having heard both sets, Rage->Tool in '99 would have made the list, as would Daft Punk in '06.

Chrysilis
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
ohh yeah #3) (2001) Weezer playing Surf Wax USA

prettylightsrocks
12-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Let me preface this by saying I've only had the chance to go to Coachella twice now, but it changed my life the moment I set foot on the camp grounds.

1. Waking up on Friday morning at the 2010 Coachella, looking around at the camp sites and people, and feeling like I'd finally come home. (This was my first year.)
2. Radiohead, 2012- weekend 2.
3. After waiting for about 6-7 hours to get to the front for Atoms for Peace in 2010, when Thom Yorke finally came on stage.
4. Finding the the tree of life at the end of lot 5 that saved my life by keeping me shaded during the 106 degree heat during 2012.
5. After waiting for 8-9 hours to get through the car security line in 2010, I waited in the will call line to get my wristband. It was actually my friend's wristband so there I had a slight panic when I realized they may not give it to me, but as soon as they did, the moment I put it on my wrist.

nuclearstevem
01-08-2013, 09:22 PM
1. Portishead on the Main Stage in 2008. Only time I've ever been to Coachella when it wasn't sold out and the night crowd at the Main stage was very managable. Incredible, Passion, Beth at her best!
2. Leftfield in 2011 in the Gobi was life changing.
3. Fever Ray closing out the Mojave in 2010. It would take a book to describe all the emotions going on in there.
4. Crawling over to the Gorillaz in 2010 after Thom Yorke put me in the perfect Trance like state.
5. Roger Waters 2008. Whole set was amazing from beginning to end.

ThatGirl
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Elbow at sunset, 2011.

pdhow
01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
1. Common coming on stage to perform Respiration with Black Star in 2005

2. LCD Soundsystem's entire set 2010 (I went to the main stage early to get a good spot for Jay-z, little did I know that I would experience a band I now love)

3. Watching Arcade Fire in 2004 and knowing that a band was having a moment on stage that not only was everyone going to be talking about but that literally blowing up before my eyes (anybody that was there can contest to the fact that the crowd grew and grew as that show went on)

4. Portishead into Prince 2008 (still my hands down favorite for any main stage closers, ever. However ATDI into Dre was pretty spectacular for me especially considering the "opener" before those two for me was Company Flow, a group I've waited forever to see)

5. Entering into Coachella for the first time in 2001 and hearing the beats from the Sahara (it was closer to the entrance that year) and seeing the main stage and knowing the day was going to be pretty special, the Outdoor Theatre in 2004 while Radiohead was playing (hip hop with Eyedea and Abilities, Living Legends, Kool Keith and MF Doom was really just back to back to back to back fun plus hearing Rhymes like Dimes live was pretty dope), Kanye West/Jay-z their respective years

jamesc2929
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
1. Suede in 2011- because it was legendary.
2. Bauhaus in 2005- the upside down hanging Murphy
3. Big Audio Dynamite 2011 - catching a B.A.D.hat they threw in the crowd.
4. X- they were as good as they ever were.
5. Walking onto the field for the first time.

Eighties Ed
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
This was the shortest I could make my list. 7 is close.

Blur in 2003 - My first time seeing my favorite band. Would have been better obviously if Graham was there, but it was still amazing.
Mogwai performing Killing All the Flies in 2004 - Another one of my favorite bands, and also the first time seeing them.
Rage Against the Machine opening with Testify in 2007 - Made me a fan of RATM again.
Portishead performing We Carry On in 2008 - Just gorgeous.
Paul McCartney in 2009 - I teared up a few times. And I was amazed by how energetic he was.
Gorillaz in 2010 - Awesome. Huge sound and really cool visuals.
Elbow performing One Day Like This in 2011 - I felt like the song was written for that performance.

ThatGirl
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Elbow performing One Day Like This in 2011 - I felt like the song was written for that performance.

Same here. The feeling I got watching that set would be tough to match.

zircona1
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I was really impressed with that Elbow set. I'm not a fan of them on record (it's the dude's voice), but I thought I'd check them out b/c y'know, "maybe they're better live". Oh, yes. They were.

Mr. Fuzz
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
#1 Paul McCartney

xanman86
02-13-2013, 02:38 PM

Whoever recorded this must be such a boss.

involvelemons
02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
In no particular order

1) In 2010 I realized my buddy Dave Stone was on stage playing guitar for fucking LCD SOUNDSYSTEM. I knew he played with lots of bands, but not with those guys. I sent him a text that night being like "uh, I think that…you're on stage…at Coachella right now wtf?!" He texts me the next morning with "Crazy night, right?" True story. Not even trying to humblebrag, it was just a rad, somehow very Coachella kind of moment.

2) Being in the crowd for Dre, The Next Episode, 2012, and feeling so very Los Angeleno (and realized I was surrounded by neighbors). It was one of the few feelings of collective local pride I felt after growing up in SoCal. Unforgettable.

3) Erase Erratta in 04. They were the first set of the day in the Gobi (or was it the Mojave?), and the first set I ever watched at Coachella in my life. I was a huge fan at the time, and that set the tone for everything else. Such a rad band.

4) Thom Yorke playing Give Up the Ghost, pre KOL, in 2010. I melted like a little girl (the kind of little girl who melts).

5) Yes: the Pyramid. Paft Dunk. I was going through a bit of Coachella girl drama breakup bullshit, but I was like "fuck it, let's go watch that band with those fun songs from the 90s." The robots were in the crowd. Everyone was fucking psyched. I danced. So hard. Girl drama? Gone. Any drama at all? Gone. I had Homework in my headphones for the next month. I started DJing in 07. So did everyone else, it seems. In retrospect, that set was a milestone and undoubtedly began the resurgence of their continuing popularity.

CiderMouseRules
03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
For me, all "Coachella Moments" are some lesser version of The Arcade Fire in 2005.

Other greats though... Pavement, MBV, Leonard Cohen, the first time Gogol Bordello played, The National a couple years ago, Refused last year.

garrett1008
04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I've been going since '10 so my experiences are a little bit more limited.

5. Miike Snow "Animal" in the Mojave tent in 2010. Place went absolutely nuts.

4. The Dillinger Escape Plan's entire 2010 set in the Gobi tent. Much more of an intense crowd than I assumed.

3. The XX in 2010 on the Outdoor Theater. Everyone could tell this band was about to blow up after watching their set.

2. Calvin Harris in 2012. His set was just never-ending amount of fun.

1. Arcade Fire headlining in 2011. This was the absolute highlight of all my trips to the desert. You could tell that this performance meant so much to them because they gave it their all.

Heavyflow79
04-03-2013, 11:36 AM
1) seeing the pixies an hour before seeing radiohead
2) Interpol in 2007
3) peaches in 2007
4) atdi reunion 2012
5) LCD sound system 2 times (both epic)

DJPZB
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I have been to every Coachella and picking just 5 is really hard but I will do my best.
1. When I performed at Coachella in 2011 on the Global Inheritance stage. Honestly what could top that for me personally!!
2. Chemical Brothers 1999
3. Daft Punk
4. Radiohead
5. Underworld 2003
Cant wait for this years shenanigans!!!

involvelemons
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Really wish I could have seen the Chems in '99.