PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast of Champions

TheGunslinger138
03-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Last year, starting the morning off with a sanctioned bloody mary from the eponymous buffet was top notch. To anyone in the know, will this be going on again this year?

I_Am_Brendan
03-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Breakfast of champions
1. Beer
2. Cigarette
3. Aspirin

I've stayed at a hostel that actually had this on the breakfast menu

EralisAwesome
03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
mine would be...
clif bar
water
breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut in hopes of starting conversation with interesting people

AEversW
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
mine would be...
clif bar
water
breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut in hopes of starting conversation with interesting people

yep...cliff bar and water is the way to go.

i never read the book ive only seen the movie

SojuGorae
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.kgrocer.com/ProductImages/ramyun_cup/3030_default.gif
Korean cup ramen

http://www.zippys.com/zippys/images/products/ricelarge.jpg
Instant rice

http://daysthatendiny.com/uploads/2566380084421c7d5ac0092.82614742.gif
Jinro Soju

Seriously, this will be our breakfast.

EralisAwesome
03-20-2007, 10:06 PM

the book is awesome. im stoked on an excuse to read it again.
also, where does one find instant rice? and how good is it? hmm...

fatbastard
03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.kgrocer.com/ProductImages/ramyun_cup/3030_default.gif
Korean cup ramen

http://www.zippys.com/zippys/images/products/ricelarge.jpg
Instant rice

http://daysthatendiny.com/uploads/2566380084421c7d5ac0092.82614742.gif
Jinro Soju

Seriously, this will be our breakfast.

Not to be dumb. What is Jinro Soju?

SojuGorae
03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Jinro is the name of the company and Soju is a Korean liquor made from rice/wheat/barley/sweet potato that's between 20-45% depending on the manufacturer. It tastes similar to Sake.

In short, beer for Koreans (except it's not carbonated).

the book is awesome. im stoked on an excuse to read it again.
also, where does one find instant rice? and how good is it? hmm...

It's real good. You microwave it for 3 minutes and it's good to go.

Courtney
03-21-2007, 07:00 AM

I didn't even know that there was a movie.

becomingcloser
03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
favorite. book. ever.

as far as actual breakfast...

peanut butter and jelly.

Courtney
03-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Instant rice seems wrong to me.

I think last year I had a banana with peanut butter and a big bottle of water before going to the festival grounds on both days. But this year I'm going with people who might actually want to go to a real restaurant or something, so if that's the case I'll probably get a veggie omelet and whole wheat toast.

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 07:30 AM
a smoke
a beer and a shot of jameson
a smoke

thats always the way i start my mornings on vacation

skavenbrew
03-21-2007, 07:50 AM
MMMMMMM........ Jameson..........

are you onsite camping? We need a group Jameson breakfast.

MiamiNate
03-21-2007, 07:56 AM
rolling rock and steak chimichangas(warmed up in the microwave)

HEADSTRUCK
03-21-2007, 08:26 AM
MMMMMMM........ Jameson..........

are you onsite camping? We need a group Jameson breakfast.

nope i have a condo.....but i will be rockin the jamo all day

Ludichrist
03-21-2007, 08:32 AM
12 strips of bacon and a tallboy

JustSteve
03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
i just got out of the hospital and my breakfast of champions was vicodin and morphine...mmm.

Hannahrain
03-21-2007, 04:02 PM

I got all excited, because I thought this thread was going to be about the book :(

(favorite. and that means a lot, since i don't know how to pick favorites)

AEversW
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I didn't even know that there was a movie.

yeah Bruce Willis was in it.

EralisAwesome
03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I got all excited, because I thought this thread was going to be about the book :(

dood, are you camping? in which case we can talk about kurt vonnegut over a cliff bar and then get drunk

TheGunslinger138
03-22-2007, 05:59 AM

Actually this thread has digressed from its original intention of being a thread to rally support for another On-Site Camping Bloody Mary Buffet to one discussing our favorite breakfast. I imagine this is due to the organic nature of message boards and their tendency to change based upon fluxing user responses, but that's cool (its neat to watch). So, this can very well be a thread for the book Breakfast of Champions if you would so like it to be. There acually seems to be quite the demand for the topic. I, however, even being the English Degree holder that I am, have never read the book. What qualifies it as your favorite? I am familiar with KV's work having read Slaughterhouse 5 and Player Piano. Why this one?

TheGunslinger138
03-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Instant rice seems wrong to me.

I think last year I had a banana with peanut butter and a big bottle of water before going to the festival grounds on both days. But this year I'm going with people who might actually want to go to a real restaurant or something, so if that's the case I'll probably get a veggie omelet and whole wheat toast.

And Courtney: Yes, it is an avatar. It happens to be mine. It is just not a pipe. ;-)

Courtney
03-22-2007, 06:45 AM
And Courtney: Yes, it is an avatar. It happens to be mine. It is just not a pipe. ;-)

Well, if you want to get technical about it, it's actually your brain transferring electro-chemical signals from the retina through the optical nerve and to the cerebral cortex, where these impressions of light are then processed. Just sayin.

(PS- I hope you got my private message from last night)

Botrocker
03-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Bong hits , breakfast burritos and a tecate.

TheGunslinger138
03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Well, if you want to get technical about it, it's actually your brain transferring electro-chemical signals from the retina through the optical nerve and to the cerebral cortex, where these impressions of light are then processed. Just sayin.

(PS- I hope you got my private message from last night)

Technically speaking, yes. Like how the image or impression of something is not the actual thing itself. I liken it to how a message board user is simply a represention of the user (e.g. a picture of a pipe) and should not be interpretted as the actual person. What we experience as, to use you as an example, Courtney is only based upon what you present to us and in turn our subjective responses to what you choose to write. It is impossible to know the true user because the image can be constantly changed, like an avatar. I also find it to be a good way to express the Buddhist notion of emptiness inherent in all things. Or the three levels of form as typal, ectypal, and archetypal.

Courtney
03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Technically speaking, yes. Like how the image or impression of something is not the actual thing itself. I liken it to how a message board user is simply a representation of the user (e.g. a picture of a pipe) and should not be interpreted as the actual person. What we experience as, to use you as an example, Courtney is only based upon what you present to us and in turn our subjective responses to what you choose to write. It is impossible to know the true user because the image can be constantly changed, like an avatar. I also find it to be a good way to express the Buddhist notion of emptiness inherent in all things. Or the three levels of form as typal, ectypal, and archetypal.

You just took my somewhat slap-dash neuroscience logic and brought it to a whole new place.

It's true, we'll never know the true nature of things purely through our senses, because of the inherent partiality of these impressions. But if this is the case, perhaps then our linguistic nomenclature for these objects or ideas already accounts for this sense of a partial understanding? I mean, when I say "pipe," does that really imply the entirety of the object, or is it merely a short-hand for the experiences we have come to understand as relating to "pipe": the smell of tobacco, the smooth rounded surface of the thing, etc?

I'm not sure. I like this logic for objects, but it becomes more difficult when we're talking about people.

daftwerk
03-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Technically speaking, yes. Like how the image or impression of something is not the actual thing itself. I liken it to how a message board user is simply a represention of the user (e.g. a picture of a pipe) and should not be interpretted as the actual person. What we experience as, to use you as an example, Courtney is only based upon what you present to us and in turn our subjective responses to what you choose to write. It is impossible to know the true user because the image can be constantly changed, like an avatar. I also find it to be a good way to express the Buddhist notion of emptiness inherent in all things. Or the three levels of form as typal, ectypal, and archetypal.

Omg i fucking love your avatar. I had to do a presentation on a peice of art back in HS and i chose that painting. It sparked quite a debate in art history class.

invisiblerobots
03-23-2007, 06:57 AM
I swear by those acai smoothies with granola and bananas that they sell in the food area. I ran into Danny DeVito last year right after I purchased one last year. I think he was eating a churro.

TheGunslinger138
03-23-2007, 07:11 AM
You just took my somewhat slap-dash neuroscience logic and brought it to a whole new place.

It's true, we'll never know the true nature of things purely through our senses, because of the inherent partiality of these impressions. But if this is the case, perhaps then our linguistic nomenclature for these objects or ideas already accounts for this sense of a partial understanding? I mean, when I say "pipe," does that really imply the entirety of the object, or is it merely a short-hand for the experiences we have come to understand as relating to "pipe": the smell of tobacco, the smooth rounded surface of the thing, etc?

I'm not sure. I like this logic for objects, but it becomes more difficult when we're talking about people.

My intension was not to try to extend this logic to actual people per se but to mainly refer to the ability of a message board user to create an image of themselves that is not accurate (due to the fundamental annonymity inherent with the internet) and should not be interpretted by a viewer as such.

Senor Cardgage
03-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Poon and crack cocaine.

And maybe a smoothie.

fatbastard
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Jinro is the name of the company and Soju is a Korean liquor made from rice/wheat/barley/sweet potato that's between 20-45% depending on the manufacturer. It tastes similar to Sake.

In short, beer for Koreans (except it's not carbonated).

It's real good. You microwave it for 3 minutes and it's good to go.

나는 본다. I will have to give it a try.