PDA

View Full Version : Tips on keeping 4+ car camping convoys together?

soursour
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
This year we're going to be mobbing in a convoy of about 6-7 cars with a camping pass each. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any tips? One idea I read from someone else was to label each car "1 of 7", "2 of 7", etc. on the front and back of each vehicle to keep everything more organized, and I thought we should have car 1 and car 7 on the phone at all times once we get near the festival to make sure nobody hits a red light and gets stuck. Maybe put some type of flag or something (like the Lakers ones you always see) on all our cars too, so it'll be easier to distinguish who's in the convoy and who got cut off by a random.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Pull over if the group gets split up, then stick close in the lines to get searched, once you get out of the main clusterfuck of the search lines find a place to pull off, or group up some how.

dontpanic
01-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Exactly. Be close-ish when in the search line, but after the search each car immediately pull off to the left until all cars make it through. Line up after that and you're good to go.

Aurgasm
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Be kind and respectful and everything will work out fine.

rose925
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
all the advice you got is 100% correct, i been going in with 3-4 cars per year for the past 2 years and it works out fine.
if one car is done before the others have them crawl to the ticket line..move extra slow kinda crawling then pull over after they have their car camp sticker on their car and have their wristbands on...just move slow and be discreet and cordial and you will be fine

Mugwog
01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Easiest way to make 10+ cars happen, be awesome with the staff, let someone not DERP lead the group so they can inform the security search team of the number of cars in your group and ALWAYS ask the team:"How can we help you make this faster and get our group through together." Make sure you let EVERY person know whats going on in a cordial manner. They will totally let you wait for friends if you do it smart, don't block pathways like a jerk.

I've gotten 12 cars into lot 8 on Thursday two years in a row.

You may have to have a charming look like so:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c367/Mugwog/Publicity/374704_263052840424242_100001585836664_771947_1358 871734_n.jpg

DeadSkin
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Tie them shits together son!

Goatchella
01-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Mugwog for president

chickonmytip
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
we had 3 cars last year it was a little stressful but roll your window down and try to communicate to camping employees and fellow campers in a nice manner that you are trying to keep your group together. if you get an end space you may be screwed with the rest of your group starting the next line of cars. this in addition to whats already been mentioned will help

M Sparks
01-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Did 6 cars last year. Some security will be helpful, some will wreck things due to their own stupidity. Other campers will be cool for the most part, and if they aren't, let THEM pass you. The important thing is to get together in the clusterfuck traffic jam just past the gates. Once you get on the main road, you won't be allowed to stop, and the people moving you along are just doing their job.

moxie990
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
We did 4 cars together last year without an issue and this year we gained an extra, so we'll be heading out there with 5.

We just met up before hand at Wal-Mart (along with hundreds of other people, haha) and headed out from there. Once you get out of Wal-Mart it was just a few lights and a couple turns before you were in the controlled line of traffic. If you're asking how to keep a convoy of cars together during this part, then you really need to get friends that are better at driving. If you have 10+ cars, then you might need to do something more extravegent, but with fewer, just pay attention. If someone in your group gets cut off, just have the cars in front let that car go by. Really though, we didn't have any problems with this last year because we all just stayed CLOSE to one another. Traffic moves at about 5mph, so it's not hard to stay close.

Once you're in security lines in the field though, I suggest all going in the same line. That's what we did and I just let the security doing the search that the next 3 cars were with me and I asked where I could wait for them. I think this is the key part because I saw a lot of people just drive through the security checks once they were done and they continued on to the right where the fences came together forming one road. You need to just go straight from the security checks and wait there. Don't take that right and go down that road. That's where security kept yelling at people to move along, regardless if you had a group or not since you were blocking traffic.

Once all 4 cars were checked, that's when we proceeded to the right and we just kept it together. The only issue I could see is if you get stuck at the end of a row and part of your group has to start the next row. In that case, I'd just ask the security if you could all start that next row together. There's plenty of cars behind you that will be willing to fill up the end of the other row.

M Sparks
01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
It's not hard at all getting your cars together once you get into the security search lot. It's kind of a free for all as long as you aren't blocking anything. Our cars kept getting separated by traffic lights and we kept pulling over and waiting throughout town. Eventually, we got 2 or 3 other cars between us, but we sorted it out by heading towards a slightly longer search line and the other cars turned towards the shorter ones.

Really, the biggest obstacle was a particularly stupid "gatekeeper". We were all in a line, and our security guard- who knew there were 6 of us and was trying to help- was holding the first car back, waiting for a gap in the traffic jam that was never going to come. Meanwhile, the gate next to us was shoving cars through his gate as fast as he could. At one point, he ran out and literally had no more pre-searched cars left, so he told the LAST three cars of our group to move over to his line. They should have just stayed put, but for some reason, they moved up next to us and told that guard we were all together. He just told them they were blocking traffic and to move, move, move. So they go through, along with 4 or 5 other cars that were BEHIND us, and crush into a knot of cars. Meanwhile, our guard would not let us through due to the mangle the other guard had caused.

It all worked out, and another guard further down saved the day, but the moral is, stay in a line. The drivers will be more cooperative in keeping you together than some of the guards, and if not, let them pass.

iamellyn
04-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice. We only have 3 cars, so it shouldn't be too bad. I just would really hate to get stuck with half of us at the top of the row and the other car at the bottom. That would be such a bummer.

mekanism
04-05-2012, 10:04 AM
They should set up an area/line dedicated to convoys so people don't have to worry about this. I saw last year how they were making people drive to the campsites right after getting through the checkpoint, making it hard for convoys. I think a dedicated convoy queue would work better.

iamellyn
04-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Agreed!