PDA

View Full Version : Cannopies

withlovekla
01-13-2012, 09:16 AM
I was planning on using a 10 x 30 canopy but I'm not sure if it will stand up to the desert winds. If you used a canopy previously, what kind of canopy did you use and how did you address the Coachella winds?

nosurprises12
01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I have a 10 x 10 ez-up which I used last year, and by using the spikes which came with it to anchor it to the ground mine did not blow away. I'd recommend you do the same.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I was planning on using a 10 x 30 canopy but I'm not sure if it will stand up to the desert winds. If you used a canopy previously, what kind of canopy did you use and how did you address the Coachella winds?

I have seen some that work and some blow away. 10x10 works perfect or even a 12x12/15x15 but the bigger they are they bigger of a risk you have that when you come back to camp you pissed off a group 10 spots down cause your canopy is on their tent.

loopy
01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Ditto on the EZ-up. We used a Coleman one last year as well, similar to this: http://www.treadlightly.org/files/page_text/images/12211194478966.jpg

Wind got pretty crazy one of the days I remember, these stayed put with some good stakes in the ground. Couldn't hurt to bring extras, too.

TheClares
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Consider getting some decent stakes as well. I use Kelty "No Bendium" stakes which run about a buck a piece, but if you do any other camping are well worth the investment. I've had the cheap aluminum stakes for other things come out at Coachella, but never those, and I use them for my tent and EZ-UP

moxie990
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Last year I had a 10 x 10 ez up and bought some coleman tent stakes from Wal-Mart (forget how much they were, but not expensive). They worked great for my canopy. Neighbors had some crappier older canopy and didn't use long stakes to hold it in and it went flying in the high winds. Just spend a few bucks on good tent stakes and you'll be fine!!

dirtyjoel
01-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Last year I used a 10x15 Caravan canopy. It's pretty high end. Borrowed it from work. We also used a 10x10 from Walmart. It's has straight legs not the ones that angle out. So 25x10 of canopy total. Not one problem. And we didnt stake a thing. We also had army mesh going around one side and the side that faced the east we had a big blue tarp blocking the sun with a bunch of V's cut into it to allow for airflow.

This year we are doing 35x10 worth of canopies on 4 spots.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Last year I used a 10x15 Caravan canopy. It's pretty high end. Borrowed it from work. We also used a 10x10 from Walmart. It's has straight legs not the ones that angle out. So 25x10 of canopy total. Not one problem. And we didnt stake a thing. We also had army mesh going around one side and the side that faced the east we had a big blue tarp blocking the sun with a bunch of V's cut into it to allow for airflow.

This year we are doing 35x10 worth of canopies on 4 spots.

I'm trying to do a similiar set up, using canopies then get reflective tarp from harbor freight

Neighborhood Creep
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Don't hold your breath on assuming all 4 of your spots will be together. The security tends to split groups up no matter how much you plead. Best of luck though

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Don't hold your breath on assuming all 4 of your spots will be together. The security tends to split groups up no matter how much you plead. Best of luck though

Last year it worked out, but I also saw what epic dirty did and if worse comes to worse I'm doing the same thing

dirtyjoel
01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
We had three in a row last year. Didn't seem to have a problem. They even told us to stay with each other. Maybe we just got someone nice?

HoneyBadgerForLife
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Go with the EZ-UP. Super easy to set up. Fits most cars. Use some stakes and good to go. On the last day of Coachella last year my neighbor's canopy blew away and almost hit some people making their way back to their campsites. Not fun. Same goes with your tent, use some stakes; you won't regret it. Go get a coleman rubber mallet/stake puller at Target and you will make best friends with everyone around you who shows up to their campsite with you at 2am without anything to help them set up. For under $20 bucks, that thing is totally worth it even if you never camp outside of Coachella.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Most 99cent stores have a hammer and a rubber mallet, highly suggest grabbing that, as well as zip ties, those really came in handy last year

daneskiiiz
01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
My Group had two car camping spots that we connected EZ-Ups to. As long as you stake it to the ground well you won't have a problem with the wind. We got some mesh shades to go around it, and it was a full-on palace. It was so much cooler than baking inside tents.

SeantheJeweler
01-16-2012, 01:06 PM
They also sell sandbags you can buy to anchor the poles to the ground better. These work great and sometimes the stakes can be pulled up, I had that happen to me in 2010 on Sunday while at Gorillaz the wind was insane and it crushed my ez-up and threw it down the street from our site.

dcbell05
01-16-2012, 03:24 PM
We had two canopies and our neighbors had canopies and/tarps all around. We zip tied sh*t together so it was a hard piece to blow away. We also put heavy items we were using on the poles as well as staking everything down. Lastly, we dropped the sides on as many as we could (without f*cking the whole thing up) so they were less likely to blow over.
I honestly didn't notice much wind until early Monday morning. As which point we were already packed and ready to go. Hopefully won't be too bad this year.

Orphan
01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
If you get a 10'x30' be aware that if it comes with those side flap "walls", while they increase stability, they can turn your shade tent into a absolutely massive missile. First, you will need at minimum 4 adjacent spaces in order to make it work at all, and hope that once you move all the vehicles to the extreme right or left, you have over 10 feet of space. However, we have used one the last two years with only minor catastrophe. Just bring lots of duct tape to keep the PVC joints secure, serious tent stakes for at least the 4 corners, and some ropes to supplement the 6 poles. When initially staking down the legs, spread them out so that they are slightly at an angle. And be prepared for all of this to fail, and to spend some of your Sunday afternoon literally keeping your tent together with your bare hands.

Edit: Oh yes, and be prepared to have to throw it away when it's all over. These plastic canopies were not built to last, the cheap joints and metal fasteners ensure that.

carolinesgood
01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
i have always bungied 10 pound weights to each corner of mine mainly cause the "hammer weapon issue", i hate stakes cause i find em by tripping over the ones sticking out too far or they are weirdly tethered. wind sunday was a MAJOR issue last year... please take heed somehow.

natureboy
01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31juon-TO4L._SX342_.jpg
(www.amazon.com/Swiss-10-Foot-Smart-Shade-Canopy/dp/B000N56R72/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326820062&sr=8-2)
I bought this last year with the screenhouse (http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Smart-10-Foot-Screenhouse/dp/B000N5395U/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5) & windbreak wall (http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-Outdoor-Sunscreen-Windbreak-Wall/dp/B006CQTUBG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4). Worked great.

mistakenstrangers
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Can anybody shed some light on some cheap canopies, and where to get them? Had a look on Walmart and Target site, but they're either expensive, or i'm just searching the wrong keywords...

jefferie
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-9-Express-Gazebo/16451712
This is about as cheap as I've ever seen one. Last year I bought a 10x10 EZ-up brand from $60 from wal-mart.

blackchango
01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
So which stakes to a better job of holding things down. Metal stakes or plastic stakes? Does it make a difference?

dontpanic
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
The campgrounds got pretty tore up on Sunday last year, those EZ-Ups were strewn everywhere. Our party used higher quality stakes on our super cheap canopy and ours still flew off. This year we're planning on weighting them down.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I used the basic metal stakes and my canopy was perfect.

withlovekla
01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Consider getting some decent stakes as well. I use Kelty "No Bendium" stakes which run about a buck a piece, but if you do any other camping are well worth the investment. I've had the cheap aluminum stakes for other things come out at Coachella, but never those, and I use them for my tent and EZ-UP

Do these stakes have prongs or ridges or are they smooth like the standard issue stakes? I'm thinking some sturdy stakes, rubber mallet, sand bags, and rebuilding the cannopy with more solid poles will keep the cannopy from being ripped off the ground.

Inthecolumbiagorge
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
When it got windy last year we took the covers off the canopies before we went into the fest. Took it off a couple of neighbors too and it saved theirs from flying off for sure. It is not difficult, takes about 3 minutes and took care of the issue. Good stakes for the canopy is for sure the way to go!

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
My canopy was using the velcro straps on the top, then because of the other zip ties I was using for my tarp, mister system and everything it was secure. Taking off the cover was a smart move though, nothing to worry about if you're cover is off.

grind
01-18-2012, 03:08 PM

Goatchella
01-18-2012, 03:13 PM
The first up canopy has vents at the top, so air can flow through it. Helps for sure.

s0nn3
01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Stakes are great if they are driven into the ground correctly.. hint: its not straight down into the earth. In addition to stakes and a somewhat more effective method of preventing your canopy from going ballistic is weighting it down. Use the heavier items that you may or may not have already brought with you, your vehicle or an ice chest are shining examples. If possible, don't worry about the legs so much as the actual canopy. If you can weight down the upper frame the legs of the canopy are of little consequence. If all else fails collapse the damn thing down to the ground.

Andrew 619
01-18-2012, 10:36 PM
When it got windy last year we took the covers off the canopies before we went into the fest. Took it off a couple of neighbors too and it saved theirs from flying off for sure. It is not difficult, takes about 3 minutes and took care of the issue. Good stakes for the canopy is for sure the way to go!

Saved my canopy!

pedrohead
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM
For those that fly in, have you been able to check your canopies for the flight (and they showed up in reasonable condition), or did you just purchase something once you got in town that you didn't return with?

1st time trying this, figuring out the best way to go.

ReveurConstant
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm looking at buying either this:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-10-Instant-Screened-Shelter/dp/B00339C3G4/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1

Or, this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Shade-House-Basecamp-Shelter/dp/B004HI2ZMW/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331759759&sr=1-2

I'd prefer the first one since it is cheaper, but which one do you think would be better? I would be placing it over my 2 person Coleman tent. Thanks. :-)

Goatchella
03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Cheaper..neither have good coverage tho.

delawhere
03-14-2012, 02:02 PM
a tip on the cannopies, check out how thick the cloth is that makes up the cannopy top. Most of the cheaper ones have a thinner slightly trasparent cloth/plastic and it makes a huge difference on the how hot it is underneath. The good ones dont allow any light through, trust me.

JustSteve
03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Can anybody shed some light on some cheap canopies, and where to get them? Had a look on Walmart and Target site, but they're either expensive, or i'm just searching the wrong keywords...

these are usually pretty cheap:

http://budgetsmartgirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/50-percent-less-salt-sweet-peas.jpg

manalive!
03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
These look good for the price

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Canopy-10x20-Carport/11007577

withlovekla
03-15-2012, 04:37 AM
These look good for the price

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Canopy-10x20-Carport/11007577

This looks very similar to the canopy that I initially bought. It might be sturdier because it's a carport but if possible I would recommend checking the canopy before purchasing. We ended up, after our first trial run, deciding to make our own that could withstand the elements. But it seems based off what many have said 2 ez-ups zip tied together with stakes holding it down should do the trick

billtino
03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Sunday is def "wind day." A lot of people tear down their campsite on Sunday before entering the festival so they can leave early after the show. Bad news for the slow people (like me) still partying Sunday night and working thru that last hangover Monday morning when there are less cars to block all that wind...A canopy's worst nightmare. Two long stakes on all four legs is usually good enough if you angle them the right way. Try to buy the canopy's with the mesh fiber material instead of the thin (umbrella like) material. If the winds pick up again, that umbrella is a gonner.

Goatchella
03-16-2012, 07:32 AM
They make Coleman cork screw type stakes.

Done deal. Your welcome.

billtino
03-16-2012, 08:22 AM
They make Coleman cork screw type stakes.

Done deal. Your welcome.

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/75/87/31/758731639_640.jpg

Yes!

abijo
03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quik-Shade-146882/16622680?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews

Think I'm going to have to buy this then leave it behind =(

Any thoughts?

blackchango
03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
back pack canopy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quik-Shade-Go-Hybrid-7-x-7-Backpack-Blue-Canopy/15135487

PepeO
03-17-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quik-Shade-146882/16622680?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews

Think I'm going to have to buy this then leave it behind =(

Any thoughts?

Why would you leave it behind?

fetuspiniata
03-17-2012, 12:06 PM
back pack canopy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quik-Shade-Go-Hybrid-7-x-7-Backpack-Blue-Canopy/15135487 "I would have given this at least 4 stars, but Walmart's description says 7x7 ft, when actually box says 6x6"

I know it doesn't seem like much but those extra 3 or 4 feet make all the difference! I bought this POS last year and returned it after I set it up to see how it looked. Having 2 people under it at the same time is uncomfortable and a 10x10 canopy just makes sense with the 10x30 camping spot and all.

abijo
03-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I live in the UK. It is heavy.

Only get 23kgs of luggage.

Mugwog
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I live in the UK. It is heavy.

Only get 23kgs of luggage.

Buy in Indio
Check food4less:
$20 for a 10x10 canopy last year. Sure it was a slight bitch to assemble, but $20 you can leave it behind without a second thought

This ain't no moontribe or burning man

MondayBox
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
is there really much of a difference between these two?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quik-Shade-146882/16622680

Besides the diameter.

biffbangpow
03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
This is about as cheap as I've ever seen one. Last year I bought a 10x10 EZ-up brand from $60 from wal-mart.

That's the one I was thinking of getting. But I'll be arriving in Palm Springs only wednesday afternoon (from Montreal) do you think they'd have some left?

alyssaf12
03-19-2012, 01:36 PM
You can order it to be picked up there I would imagine...

DirtyPistol
03-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Kind of a suspect move but you can always buy a canopy at Target or someplace cheaper and then return it after, just as long as you don't thrash it up. Do you think the person making minimum wage working at the returns desk gives a rip and will take it out of the case and inspect it?

JCmpls
03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Does anyone ever set up a canopy using a tarp with posts...or is it too windy for that?
I'm flying out and really don't want to drop $100 on a canopy.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
It would have to be staked out pretty darn good and that would impinge on your neighbors spots. Shade is crucial though! You can always take it down if it gets too windy or when you go into the fest. Better than nothin:-)

Ekanawi
03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Anyone ever try using those big blue polyethylene tarps for shade? I know their super cheap that's why I want them? Do they just suck balls and keep heat in?5484

JCmpls
03-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Anyone ever try using those big blue polyethylene tarps for shade? I know their super cheap that's why I want them? Do they just suck balls and keep heat in?5484

What are you thinking to get it off the ground?

Ekanawi
03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Rebar stakes one foot in the ground one foot sticking out PVC pipe stuck onto it andbent into an arch. Fasten with zip ties and possibly guide wires if necessary

Goatchella
03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes

Goatchella
03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
GEt the brOwn and silver ones or canvas cloth.

Ekanawi
03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes you've used them or yes they suck balls or both?

Ekanawi
03-26-2012, 09:25 PM
For sure gonna use dif color just wondering about the material

Mike Litoris
03-26-2012, 09:58 PM

I used those last year and zip tied them to the sides of the canopies we had and it worked quite well.

MissM
03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
HI!! We had 5 car camping spots (3 one side, 2 backed up to those, got super lucky and hoping to do the same this year). Sunday winds DESTROYED campsites, and one of our 10x10s was hurled into a campsite across the walkway and a few spots down - BUT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS ASSEMBLED THERE FROM THE START, lol!! Fortunately, of all the camp spots, those ppl were already gone (and were the ONLY empty spot in the area, ha!).

We ziptied everything together, but that was the one 10x10 that had been untied.

Good luck and Happy Coachella!!!

seanr9ne
03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
For those that fly in, have you been able to check your canopies for the flight (and they showed up in reasonable condition), or did you just purchase something once you got in town that you didn't return with?

1st time trying this, figuring out the best way to go.

Didn't see this answered yet. Was wondering the same thing. It's not a huge deal if I have to leave it behind, as I don't see too many uses for a canopy back home, but I'd rather not waste ~$100. Has anyone had problems checking them on flights?

vfcali
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Shouldn't be a problem checking in a canopy on a flight, except for any baggage fees you'll have to pay. Determine the fees each way and weigh that against buying a cheap one at Walmart near Indio (I've heard you can find them for as little as $60-$80). Anyway, I've checked in all kinds of stuff to flights. The key is to tape/tie things up really well since they will inevitably be thrown around quite a bit. They usually come with a canvas carrying case so that helps a lot.

DirtyPistol
03-28-2012, 11:16 AM
GEt the brOwn and silver ones or canvas cloth.

Yeah, I was wondering too if the silver tarp really makes a difference and is that much better at reflecting the light? I'm planning on buying a 10x12 tarp, attaching one end to my canopy with zip ties, then pulling the other end out diagonal and nailing it to the ground with stakes. I'm having a hard time describing this but I guess the plan is to have a canopy attached tarp lean-to to put my tent under to prevent that ridiculous early morning tent heat. Has anyone tried this?

Goatchella
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
No. No one has ever covered their tent with a tarp crack shack.

Your are a pioneer. You should do a DIY thread and break down the logic

blueduck
03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/FIRST-UP-10-x-10-Wind-Curtain/5494012

vfcali
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/FIRST-UP-10-x-10-Wind-Curtain/5494012

This looked like an awesome way to go until I saw "Not Available at this time".

Still, for $40 there's this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Canopy-s-Festival-10-x-10-Enclosure-Kit-2-pk/14649573

blueduck
03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
This looked like an awesome way to go until I saw "Not Available at this time".

Still, for $40 there's this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Canopy-s-Festival-10-x-10-Enclosure-Kit-2-pk/14649573

i have been to 3 walmarts and all 3 had them for $43.00

DirtyPistol
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
No. No one has ever covered their tent with a tarp crack shack.

Your are a pioneer. You should do a DIY thread and break down the logic

Hilarious... just wondered how well it would hold up to wind and if a silver tarp does a good job of keeping the tent cool.

Would look like this except without any strings and top would attach to the canopy.

nyarlathotoats
03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
So, i was wondering what y'all think of using emergency blankets as side shade? I got access to a ton of them, but I'm unsure if that is wise decision to use. Thoughts?

Goatchella
03-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Hilarious... just wondered how well it would hold up to wind and if a silver tarp does a good job of keeping the tent cool.

Would look like this except without any strings and top would attach to the canopy.
Uhhh yeah that's called putting side tarps on your canopy and putting your tent underneath it. That's what everyone is doing

But why do you need a tent? It's the desert... On a grass field