PDA

View Full Version : The Hives!!!!!

kroqken
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I so love the Hives. I have always been a fan of the garage rock revival from the early 2000s. The Hives are such exciting musicians, and put on a stellar show. The lead singer is so funny during his "rants" and banter between songs.

PotVsKtl
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi Ken.

Pee Wee Herman's Hermits
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Saw them at a tiny venue around 10 years ago touring in support of Veni Vidi Vicious, they were absolutely on fire. Just incredible energy.

Felt like I was witnessing the start of something special but they seemed to peak around that point and faded a bit over the years. Probably will check them out again.

kroqken
01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi Ken.

Hello, thanks for the kind greeting and for not drinking the "Kenado Hateorade"!

whatkilesaid
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh, man. I was in the 8th grade when they put out "Veni Vidi Vicious." This will be fun.

kroqken
01-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh, man. I was in the 8th grade when they put out "Veni Vidi Vicious." This will be fun.

I wish I was that young back then. At least I am way younger than Diane Keaton!

ElBlueblazer
01-14-2012, 12:29 PM
They were awesome in 03

kroqken
01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
They were awesome in 03

I saw them in 2003 also, great show.

Vlad the Impaler
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Spoiler time. Ignore this post if you prefer the element of surprise. Needs a bit more love for them so here are some 2011 videos showcasing their most recent outfits and antics. Tails and top hats in the desert? I think they'll have to strip down after one song. Also, they have roadies dressed as ninja.

A fan gives them a note asking to play the bass and he gets his wish. Clear shot of a ninja roadie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcX52rbm-xw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZ31vZrRYE

They've been doing this in the middle of 'Tick Tick Boom'. This is a crowd full of previously disinterested people camping the pit for Kanye West who was on right after. They got the cross-armed, stationary crowd to let loose after the 3rd song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQqz7KVKL0

The banter from Howlin' Pelle is entertaining by itself. This is from 2009 but it's still awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTDW6A15a_4

Vlad the Impaler
03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
New album just announced. It's been five years since the last!

http://www.thehivesbroadcastingservice.com/news.php?article=194

LEX HIVES has arrived.

March 12th, 2012 – Hive Manor, Fagersta, Sweden -- The world’s wisest musical council and international rock sensation, The Hives are back! As chiseled into the melted wax cake 331/3 long player, the 12 holy laws of The Hives are hereby presented and accepted.

On June 1st (GSA/Sweden) June 4th (UK) June 5th (USA/CAN), Howlin’ Pelle Almqvist, Nicholaus Arson, Chris Dangerous, Dr. Matt Destruction, and Vigilante Carlstroem will return with their fifth stunner -- the 12-track contemplation of all law that is Hives -- Lex Hives.

Louder. Bolder. Prouder. More convinced than ever. The Hives are finally out of the dark ages and steering toward the light. This is THE LAW. The Law that is Hives. LEX HIVES! The laws of nature are pale in comparison and The Hives demand nothing but complete obedience.

Self-released on the band's own Disques Hives imprint, 'Lex Hives' is seemingly derived from the ancient Roman practice of enacting a system or body of laws and accepting them as a standard. A typically grandiose idea for the Swedish garage punks to follow, the twelve track album was produced by Andrew Scheps.

In addition to this, two tracks were mixed by D. Sardy, while the deluxe version of 'Lex Hives' will feature bonus tracks produced by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme.

To celebrate, The Hives are planning to release a single on Record Store Day. A limited edition seven inch, the band will pair 'Go Right Ahead' with '1000 Answers' for an upcoming vinyl pressing.

myfirstcoachella
03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
theyve never been prolific in their releases, maybe thats part of the reason theyve never become a huge act, always about 4 yrs between albums. live show is always awsome, see u down the front

theklein25
03-12-2012, 02:17 PM
new Hives song link
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-stream-the-hives-return-with-go-right-ahead-20120312

Lynn163
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I am so excited to finally see them!

digitaldragon03
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Saw them at Street Scene 2008 and they were awesome. So much fun.

oyeloca
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
READY!

grichsgang
03-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Glad to see Lego Rock Band represented. See you there.

profchaos
03-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Remember hearing they were a great live band, and after reading this I will for sure check em out.

Swedish Chef
04-13-2012, 09:23 AM
The Hives are in my top 5 for the weekend. I am anticipating Pelle to apologize for being "fantastic" at least five times. Other bands performing should be worried.

TallGuyCM
04-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Until watching the webcast, I forgot just how much the lead singer annoys the fuck out of me. It's all coming back to me now.

GeezrRckr
04-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Until watching the webcast, I forgot just how much the lead singer annoys the fuck out of me. It's all coming back to me now.
Haha...you forgot about my rant a few years back about their schtick ruining it for me. They are so fucking painful to watch live.

mattfender
04-15-2012, 07:07 PM
They're fookin great! Rockin the webcast. Lookin forward to seein em on Sunday!

vogina
04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Wow. They FUCKING ARE KILLING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TallGuyCM
04-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Haha...you forgot about my rant a few years back about their schtick ruining it for me. They are so fucking painful to watch live.

Schtick is exactly the right word. The banter between songs about hip people at a hip festival was so fucking dumb. And yes, I realize that's his thing, to say things like that. But it's fucking stupid. Glad people had fun that were there, though. Just not the band for me.

lehorne
04-15-2012, 07:14 PM
sit down

vogina
04-15-2012, 07:14 PM
HAHAHAHHAHA
THIS IS AMAZING!

GeezrRckr
04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Schtick is exactly the right word. The banter between songs about hip people at a hip festival was so fucking dumb. And yes, I realize that's his thing, to say things like that. But it's fucking stupid. Glad people had fun that were there, though. Just not the band for me.
Not watching. I can never watch a lick of them ever again after that Warfield set. Barf.

Actually haven't watched any of the webcast. Why. Jack White is filling up my ears quite nicely at the moment.

CitizenJ
04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Loved these guys, and love the lead singers banter. He was a showman and cracking up the whole audience, it was killer. Love when acts can interject style and personality into a set and don't just stand there stone faced playing instrumental tracks.

grichsgang
04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
It was shtick, but it was good shtick. The music was great and the crowd loved it. No harm in having a good time.

suprefan
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
The Hives are the greatest rock n roll band on the planet. And also, The Hives went up against no formidable conflicts on the other stages. therefor, the hives win at conflicts.....

http://i39.tinypic.com/24ysjs6.jpg

david.sound
04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I don't really listen to the Hives, but I like his positive energy. Very fun!

Nealocus
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Awful set. They killed the vibe everytime that pretentious dick of a lead singer asked how much we loved him. Pretty rude too considering he's in a band...no wonder they haven't played for nine years. Don't get me wrong though, they sounded great, I just couldn't get over how fucking annoying he is.

darkmoon66
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Hated their set, lead singer needed to shut the fuck up and check his ego

Mr. Fuzz
04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
The Hives are the greatest rock n roll band on the planet. And also, The Hives went up against no formidable conflicts on the other stages. therefor, the hives win at conflicts.....

Cool pic supre!

PlayaDelWes
04-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed everything about their set.

CrimesceneCookie
04-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Hated their set, lead singer needed to shut the fuck up and check his ego

^fools. That was the set of Sunday. If you took all that banter seriously you need to take the stick out of your ass.
They were funny and rocked hard. Loved every second of it.

theklein25
04-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Hives were great, leader singer reminds me a little of myself

grichsgang
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
^fools. That was the set of Sunday. If you took all that banter seriously you need to take the stick out of your ass.
They were funny and rocked hard. Loved every second of it.
Yeah, tongue was firmly in cheek. Met them afterward and they were very gracious.

GolfWang
04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Reminded me that Pelle is one of the best frontmen around. Great set.

sonnyboy11
04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
The Hives were amazing! So hilarious to see anyone posting complaints about Howlin Pelle's ego! That IS their show! If you don't like it, you don't like the Hives.

Btw, I do think Pelle loves us a bit more than we love him. Also, I had not planned to go to weekend two of Coachella, but Pelle says I have no choice. So that settles the matter.

iamellyn
04-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I danced more for The Hives than any other set the whole weekend. They played new stuff that I didn't know, but the energy level was so high it didn't matter.

chucko8419
04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
superfan... I'm a fan. You seem to post the best videos on youtube. Thank you!!!! I thought the Hives were very entertaining. Lead singer was a chatter box but their music was very good.

chucko8419
04-16-2012, 08:22 PM
very cool pic

LickTheLizzard
04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
"The lyrics to this next song are about blowing shit up, but don't worry... the music is still about fucking"

Hawkings
04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
didn't like the set but i always wonder why the Hives aren't the Strokes or at least the Killers. My buddies that like the Hives hated his schitck but i thought it was at least funny. 'You know you love me, you just need to show it''show yourself and your neighbors how much you love me' 'do you love the sun, i'm the closest human thing to the sun' 'give me your biggest hand, your other hand might be bigger'

Mr. Fuzz
04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
<---puts hands together

EndersRapture
04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
If their actual music live wasn't so awesome, I would have walked away halfway into their set just due to the fact he was so fucking full of himself. I've never been so annoyed with a lead singer. But yes besides that - they totally rocked it and I loved it (when they were playing music, not when the guy was talking about how we all loved him).

CitizenJ
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
If their actual music live wasn't so awesome, I would have walked away halfway into their set just due to the fact he was so fucking full of himself. I've never been so annoyed with a lead singer. But yes besides that - they totally rocked it and I loved it (when they were playing music, not when the guy was talking about how we all loved him).

The fact that people at the festival, and to this day on here can't figure out its schtick is beyond me. He doesn't go to the store and starting screaming his is so incredibly awesome. its a rockstar persona, I think its fantastic.

Nealocus
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't think it was the gloating that was annoying, it was how much of it he was doing. I'm totally down with some rockstar-ish talk but going from a 4min song to 3min banter to 4min song to 3min banter was annoying. I'd rather of heard a few more songs than his bullshit.

Taylor
04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Also I thought that the lead singer of the Hives was annoying.

ialvarado2
04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
They were fucking amazing, I had never seen them live and they got me really pumped up on Sunday.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
He was hilarious, people need to take that stick out of their ass.

LickTheLizzard
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
How was anyone annoyed? This was one of the most entertaining sets of the weekend.

prickly
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
The hives were the tits.

Taylor
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
It was like Schmidt from New Girl and Old Gregg rolled into a wannabe rockstar.

loser999
04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
they put on a great set like always! everyone needs to stop being so depressed & serious, it's ok to move, smile & have fun at a show once in a while. bon iver isn't going anywhere

Alchemy
04-16-2012, 11:11 PM
I didn't like The Hives because the singer was soooooooo full of himself! I expected that kind of shit from Noel Gallagher, but even he had the humility to understand what a great opportunity it was to play at Coachella. What was with all that "The Hives are the best" noise, anyway? If you have to remind us 1000 times, it is probably because you are not the best. It is probably because you suck!

Anyway, that is what I would post if I was a slobbering idiot who couldn't know what a fantastic set The Hives put on and what a great frontman they have! Definitely one of the highlights of the weekend. It was cool to see everybody sitting down.

frizzlefry
04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
When I first walked up to them the shtick was getting a little old but by the time he started heckle VIP I fucking fell in love

kucky21
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
How was he annoying? I honestly didnt even care about the music. Everytime he opened in mouth myself and my entire group were laughing. I thought he was very entertaining and worth seeing.

"This next single is sooo good were gonna call it a double"

zircona1
04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I thought Pelle's stage banter was amusing for the most part, but there were times I was rolling my eyes and wanting to shout out "LESS TALK MORE ROCK!"

Musically, though, The Hives kicked ass. So yeah, I enjoyed their set.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
the set of Sunday. The Hives are still one of the best live acts on the planet.

PlayaDelWes
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
"We are the entrée. The first band is the starter. The last is dessert. But we are the main course."

Dustin da DnB Soulja
04-17-2012, 11:32 AM
He was annoying but it was hilarious. The Hives we're so damn amazing. So much energy, Howlin' Pelle was in the crowd so much, he was all over the place. He was full of himself to the point where it was awesome and not douchey.

With everything he said, I didn't think it was actually him thinking he was god, they put on a damn fine show, and are way more entertaining than other bands similar.

Actually now that I think of it, he wasn't annoying at all, cause I was pretty much laughing or clapping the whole time.

tigermilkboy
04-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't see what the problem is with The Hives. That has always been The Hives experience! Pelle's banter and OTT persona is as much a part of The Hives as the fat bloke from Fucked Up getting naked. If after nearly twenty years you expect something different then you went to the wrong show.

concertgoer
04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Such a fantastic set
It was great to finally get to see those guys

Lynn163
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

I love this photo! I also loved The Hives...so much fun!

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
The Hives were too much fucking fun! Jumping, screaming, dancing and top hats... who could ask for more?

AlthePal
04-17-2012, 02:07 PM
that guy was coked the fuck out... he startd his own bands encore wtf

Timestretch
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
And we got attacked by a swarm of bees at the start of the Hives show on the right side of the stage. Too damn funny.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I saw that, so weird how they were just in the one area going crazy. There was a bag or something lying unattended right in the middle of where they all were, someone nearby watching this all happen before the set had the theory that someone set it up, the hives... bees whatnot. But no one ever challenged the actual plausibility of that as the bees dispersed and The Hives set started and we were too busy dancing to figure it out.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
04-17-2012, 02:23 PM
that guy was coked the fuck out... he startd his own bands encore wtf

When you're a relative to the sun, you can do that shit.

wompwomp
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Such a fun set. He is definitely one of the best front men around. They sounded fantastic and I danced my ass off.

ocbruin84
04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
And we got attacked by a swarm of bees at the start of the Hives show on the right side of the stage. Too damn funny.

I think I saw that/walked through it.

Yeah LOL at everyone so butthurt over the lead singer's onstage persona. I thought it was fucking great and the Hives were one of the weekend highlights for me. Didn't hurt that I was able to get fairly close to the stage (in the "pit") without much effort. Great set, they played everything I wanted to hear and more.

threeve
04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Fun, entertaining set. I came for the shade of the sound booth but stayed for the good times.

kroqken
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
I see the lead singer cut his hair, just like Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys cut his hair. What is it with lead singers cutting their hair? I would have seen the Hives if they were on a different sate and not on the Snoop/Dre stage.

Skull08
04-17-2012, 09:38 PM
It was one of the most fun sets of the weekend !! strange how a swarm of bees were around the right side of the stage before their show started...

"Die All Right" would have been the cherry on top, but no problem. I smiled all day afterwards.

gkstull
04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Awesome show, did anyone else think it took a little while to get going? Or am I slighting it by comparing it to the energy for Justice and ATDI after them?

CrimesceneCookie
04-17-2012, 11:16 PM
They had me partying from start to finish.

laurenleialoha
04-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Always wanted to see this band, and so happy I got to see them in this setting. They were so fun and sounded great! One of my favorites of the weekend.

Lynn163
04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
didn't like the set but i always wonder why the Hives aren't the Strokes or at least the Killers. My buddies that like the Hives hated his schitck but i thought it was at least funny. 'You know you love me, you just need to show it''show yourself and your neighbors how much you love me' 'do you love the sun, i'm the closest human thing to the sun' 'give me your biggest hand, your other hand might be bigger'

I love this so much :pulse

Bumblebee
04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Loved their set and especially the banter. Regret not doing the signing, as I walked into the ZIA tent when they were there and they were very approachable and the line was getting short.

Oasis, Beatles, Bono, James Brown and a bunch of rappers have done the same schtick with varying degrees of success/seriousness.

Vlad the Impaler
04-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Also met them after the set at the Zia tent. They were cheery and really fan-friendly. Them/their band manager upgraded me to a VIP wristband since they knew I was following them from Australia for a few of their Californian shows (I was the one at the barrier with the banner). To the guy in the artist pass area between the two main stage barriers who I cussed/yelled at for taking the plectrum Nick (guitarist) threw at me, but landed short of the fence .. I'm sorry for getting angry. I still don't like you, but I was lost in the moment and waiting out there with the Dre/Snoop fans from midday to get a good spot killed my politeness and any part of selflessness left in me.

I reckon Pelle's banter is well balanced between comedic and faux-arrogance. They don't take themselves too seriously, which would clearly come as a relief.

flowbee
04-21-2012, 08:26 AM
My biggest regret of 2012, not seeing The Hives! Looked like a very memorable performance.

loser999
04-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Our view of the Hives for their last song (tick tick boom) including the whole sit down thing. Fun time. Wouldn't miss if you're going tomorrow

http://youtu.be/os0uP7dSCmI

Vlad the Impaler
04-22-2012, 03:50 AM
You can also see Dennis Lyxzén of Refused enjoying the set in the official pro-shot of Tick Tick Boom during the sit-down part.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w509/ivyuploads/ScreenShot2012-04-22at84653PM.png

threeve
04-22-2012, 08:45 AM
This was fun. Here's the Official Coachella vid for TTB

http://youtu.be/2oz8N8bpptk

:pulse

malcolmjamalawesome
04-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Hahaha amazing

Undies
04-22-2012, 09:32 AM
One of my favorite sets. Nearly hurt myself whilst breaking it down.

Was happy not to be one of the handful of A-holes not sitting down during Tick Tick Boom. "I Hate Having Fun."

heart cooks brain
04-22-2012, 09:35 AM
weird. i thought tick tick boom was a pod song

Lynn163
04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
This was fun. Here's the Official Coachella vid for TTB

http://youtu.be/2oz8N8bpptk

:pulse

So much fun!

rage patton
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
That Tick Tick Boom webcast was awesome. One of the best parts of Coachella 2012.

Also, I spotted myself in the webcast, so I couldn't help but point it out.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/Coachella2012_3.jpg

CrimesceneCookie
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
The boyfriend wouldn't sit down so he's sticking out like a sore thumb in his flaming red Gang of Four shirt at 5:34

Undies
04-22-2012, 06:19 PM
The boyfriend wouldn't sit down so he's sticking out like a sore thumb in his flaming red Gang of Four shirt at 5:34

Tell your boyfriend that Undies says he's a big douche.

Lynn163
04-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Anyone from weekend 2 see them?

narek23
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I watched most of their set but left early to see Gotye, they had great energy and I loved the frontman's "personality." Did they do the sit down thing again 2nd weekend?

F00FIGHTER20
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Did they do the sit down thing again 2nd weekend?

Yes. He also asked us to then lay down and soon realized was not going to happen... This was my favorite set of the weekend.
They need to bring AKA back into their sets though

clleadz
04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
It was excellent 'Fuck the sun!' was a highlight

Also, when Pelle was talking about everyone exploding from heat, he said (something like) 'Well, if we're all going to go out I can't think of a better place to do it than a Hives concert, and I'm sure you all agree'

gopher37
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
It was excellent 'Fuck the sun!' was a highlight

Also, when Pelle was talking about everyone exploding from heat, he said (something like) 'Well, if we're all going to go out I can't think of a better place to do it than a Hives concert, and I'm sure you all agree'

The Hives was among my top 5 bands of weekend 2, the lead singer is just hilarious! The sit and lay down thing was awesome, haha He was just cracking me up with pretty much everything he said. And besides the funny commentary, great music as well.