01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
seriously, this makes Daft Punk's pyramid look like a cardboard box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Rm9YQvaMM

tmac
01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
will he bring the stage?

Wheres the beef?
01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Its definitely impressive. But, the show as a whole leaves a lot to be desired. It's more like watching a movie than being at a concert. At least Daft Punk played groovy music.

chucky canuck
01-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Tobins twitter account said hes bringing the whole thing. Check out 1:40 and 3:00 of that video.

nathanfairchild
01-12-2012, 06:20 PM
i'm hoping they put this up against SHM

Distorted_Jungle
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Saw it twice, only reason I saw it a second time was because I bought before seeing it once. To say it's better than Daft Punk is just foolish. Daft Punk was soooo much better musically, and the visuals got better as it went on while this recycles similar visual aspects throughout. This was the best movie I saw this year, but I would pay to see some of the DJ's sets I saw this year from other acts 10 more times before I paid half price to see this again. Keep in mind I saw it once with lucy and once sober. Cool to see once, so if you haven't seen it before enjoy.

chucky canuck
01-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Seriously...check out the 1:48 and 3:00 marks of the video link in the first post

grannock
01-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Tobin should do an immersive 4 deck set in one of the tents instead of isam. Isam was cool, but it was not as impressive as his regular sets without visuals.

unknown
01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Agreed, grannock. His dj sets are fucking superb. ISAM's visuals synchronized with what he's doing musically is quite a spectacle and very entertaining, but I would enjoy a dj set much more. It's a great show to see once though.

chucky canuck
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I figure this is really worth seeing at least once.

grannock
01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Its worth seeing for sure. Isam is easily one of the best electro sets ofthe weekend. A 4 deck massacre would be the best edm of the weekend.

waterandcoffee
01-13-2012, 02:36 PM
think this could happen after black keys? don't think they really provide the punch it takes to close the main stage.

tmac
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
no. shm will close the main stage

waterandcoffee
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
with his huge setup he's gotta be on the main stage though, right? the visual bleed he's create at the outdoor theatre would be obnoxious.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
no. shm will close the main stage

I hope not. Actually, ok, I'll avoid all the shower lines then.

Distorted_Jungle
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
with his huge setup he's gotta be on the main stage though, right? the visual bleed he's create at the outdoor theatre would be obnoxious.

The setup is way smaller than it seems on video in person, this could easily fit in the Mojave or the Sahara. Expect it to be in one of those tents. Plus a visual setup like this belongs in somewhat of a structure, not completely outdoors.

CrimesceneCookie
01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I had tickets to see him last year and had to sell them because of work.
I won't miss my chance again. I'll probably enjoy it more knowing what to expect & not expecting an all out dance set.

Donaldj
01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I thought the ISAM live show was phenomenal and about as visually impressive as Daft Punk's show. I actually had the same reaction to both shows. In my own personal opinion I think ISAM, the album, is a masterpiece and I listen to it all the time cranked really loud on my stereo at home. That album, and music like it, is meant to be played very, very loud. You miss out on a lot of the sound design and dynamic stuff he does listening to it on earbuds or headphones. The music is definitely not for everyone and I kind of expect a similar reaction to it that Animal Collective received last year.

flowbee
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I was one of the few people enthralled by Etienne De Crecy's set because I'm easily amused by lights. This puts the cube to shame and Coachella is his only scheduled stop so far this year.

I expect this to close the Sahara though wouldn't complain if they made it a Mainstage surprise

paulb
01-15-2012, 01:50 PM
ISAM is def a great show, and very cool to witness...but yes, once is almost enough. There really isnt much to do during his set except appreciate the visuals and the calming music. Its no PLUR ravey shit. Much more artistic. Id watch it again, but drugs would be needed this time.

Deegleberry
01-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Afrojack is closing the Sahara against SHM on main stage Friday. Amon Tobin will be in Sasha's slot from last year most likely no?

Monko760
01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
To say it's better than Daft Punk is just foolish. Daft Punk was soooo much better musically, and the visuals got better as it went on while this recycles similar visual aspects throughout.

THIS!

It seems everyone is trying to play catchup to the pyramid when what they really need to do is work on the tunes and the visuals will work themselves out. ALSO Daft Punk's visuals were the BEST not because of how outlandish the stage was, but rather they way they implemented the visuals. Keep in mind they didn't give you any color for at least 15-20 minutes, by that time I was so excited about the black and white and good tunes that once they turned on the color my mind just blew! Daft Punks visuals meant something and really set the mood for each song. This ISAM and things I've seen such as Deadmua5 cube or Pretty Lights recent stage are just lack luster and unimaginative. More about spending money on LEDs than spending time thinking about the visuals.

Mugwog
01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I hope not. Actually, ok, I'll avoid all the shower lines then.

now that you mention it guetta and shm are great closers because you can totally go shower and after party in the campgrounds early, rather than 2/3am

shower jerk anyone?

concertgoer
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Afrojack is closing the Sahara against SHM on main stage Friday. Amon Tobin will be in Sasha's slot from last year most likely no?

With Tobin's set up he would have close whatever stage he plays. Also no way would they schedule Afrojack during SHM.

Twattycakes
01-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I would love Amon Tobin to close the Sahara against SHM. Anything to get Jersey Shore the fuck out of Amon Tobin.

grannock
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I would love Amon Tobin to close the Sahara against SHM. Anything to get Jersey Shore the fuck out of Amon Tobin.

Stop equating bad music with new jersey. The appreciation for cheese edm is universal.

nathanfairchild
01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Stop equating bad music with new jersey. The appreciation for cheese edm is universal.

Bon Jovi

Twattycakes
01-15-2012, 04:48 PM

Referring to the TV program, not the physical land mass. Jersey (land mass) sucks for entirely different reasons.

Mugwog
01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Even people from Jersey hate Jersey.

furnace
01-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I for one look forward to brazillian fist pumping.

andyforpeace
01-17-2012, 05:07 PM
The set he played at sea of dreams nye in sf was a bit different from the sets he played on his isam tour. A lot more harder and a lot better to dance/party to. He's definitly gonna play more towards the style of the festival.

Pea
01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
The set he played at sea of dreams nye in sf was a bit different from the sets he played on his isam tour. A lot more harder and a lot better to dance/party to. He's definitly gonna play more towards the style of the festival.

This is good to hear. A set similar to the ones he did on the ISAM tour would fall really flat at a festival, and the quieter moments would probably be ruined by bleed from other stages.

involvelemons
01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
After watching his (pretty self-agrandizing) promo videos for this, I was convinced that I would be bored halfway through.
I was actually pretty blown away, despite my cynicism. Things change often enough to keep it pretty entertaining. Some of the visual motifs are pretty cliché (can we see that spaceship take off one more time?), but I'll definitely be checking this out again.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Anybody got some recs on where to start listening to this dude to prepare for his set?

with_cheese
01-19-2012, 09:18 AM

I'm so happy to hear this. Just couldn't get into Isam, but I really like his previous work.

with_cheese
01-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Anybody got some recs on where to start listening to this dude to prepare for his set?

I'm not sure about preparing for his set, but as a place to start in general I'd recommend Supermodified.

waterandcoffee
01-19-2012, 09:50 AM
from what i'm gathering we should expect it to be mostly ISAM

Trick Loves The Kids
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
After watching his (pretty self-agrandizing) promo videos for this, I was convinced that I would be bored halfway through.
I was actually pretty blown away, despite my cynicism. Things change often enough to keep it pretty entertaining. Some of the visual motifs are pretty cliché (can we see that spaceship take off one more time?), but I'll definitely be checking this out again.

It really is worth seeing, the music is really well-synced to the visuals and so on a huge soundsystem it's much more impressive than in the youtubes. I'm not really sure how it'll work at Coachella since you have to be fairly close to see the details but I'd still recommend it.

Nealocus
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm bringing my girlfriend and I'm going to use this as a "rest" act for her. Seems to be very visual and fun to watch with (somewhat) relaxing music. Hopefully they'll be a nice place to sit and watch from so we don't have to stand.

Mugwog
01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
This is a great rest act, hopefully there won't be a bunch of tall mother fuckers in the way for you and your girl, perhaps they will elevate the stage a little bit for him

venturas90sgirl
01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I've seen the footage from the LA show and the visuals are amazing. Definitely will make this one of the weekends.

Wheres the beef?
01-19-2012, 04:59 PM

The first half of his show will be the ISAM album so start with that. The second half of his show is going to be drum and bass(ish).

imjihoon
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
seriously, this makes Daft Punk's pyramid look like a cardboard box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Rm9YQvaMM

Have you seen ISAM live? It looks better on video than live, maybe because it's much shorter. Music Box show in L.A. last year was like watching an action movie. Lots of hype but too long because the visual was repetitive. It was good for about 1 hour. I enjoyed Etienne de Crecy's Coachella show more. If you really feel ISAM show is better than Daft Punk's pyramid Coachella performance, did you organize this year's lineup?

brycerosen
01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
i remember durring etien de crecy in 09 if you weren't exactly in the center the angles of the lazers on the nets really through off what you were watching, is that the same for Amon?

anonimouse
01-19-2012, 07:06 PM
as long as its better than etienne de caca. the cube looked sick on video but live it was sooooooo underwhelming (as was the music). was a pretty meh ending to what was probably my favorite coachella so far

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Hopefully, once he's done pounding through ISAM, he can get into HIS groovy music, because Tobin has got some seriously groovy tunes. With that said...go see the show. It's AWESOME.

the walrus
01-19-2012, 09:29 PM
so im going to take acid for this one...
and ill probably have a few extra tabs for people i meet

Mugwog
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
so im going to take acid for this one...
and ill probably have a few extra tabs for people i meet

ding

imjihoon
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
i remember durring etien de crecy in 09 if you weren't exactly in the center the angles of the lazers on the nets really through off what you were watching, is that the same for Amon?

I'm glad I was in the middle when I was watching Etienne de Crecy set. You shouldn't have any problems with Amon's visuals from any angle. I preferred watching from the right side because the boxes are angled to the right. It's definitely cool to see but not for over an hour because it's repetitive.

instinct
01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Wow excellent post. I do stage lighting as a side business and am glad other people on the boards can appreciate this and even notice small things like this.

Daft Punk 06... Nothing will ever top it.

Nealocus
01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow excellent post. I do stage lighting as a side business and am glad other people on the boards can appreciate this and even notice small things like this.

Daft Punk 06... Nothing will ever top it.

In all due respect, I hope your are so damn wrong! Hopefully Daft Punk 2013 will top it! Been patiently waiting...

shotglass75
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
http://youtu.be/BGYhUMlMES0

cbarry1
01-21-2012, 09:33 PM
wow thats incredible. crazy visuals. hallucinogens anyone?

Mugwog
01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
You dont really need the drugs for this one, Im pretty sure you'd get bored after a while. The spaceship taking off......OH AGAIN.

grannock
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM

http://www.amontobin.com/4DeckSet.html

You gotta friend him on facebook..... But this is similar to a show i saw on a boat around manhatten. Still one of my favorit sets of all time.

starstuff
01-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I saw this show before and its fucking stellar, I havent seen anything else like it.

Aurgasm
01-23-2012, 05:11 PM

I felt the same way after seeing it the first time and again on the second. If there's nothing else going on I'll check it out again.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-28-2012, 02:41 PM
THIS LOOKS SICK
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3474301736_84fc778875.jpg

LyricsForTheMind
01-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I saw him at Sea Of Dreams....the stage was really good, like very impressive. The music was good, not anything i need to see again. The people that say that it is comparable to the Pyramid of Daft Punk from 2006 are out of their mind. Again, it was really good, I liked the set up a lot, but personally I though Santigold had a better set compared to Amon Tobin.