PDA

View Full Version : the GROWLERS @ Coachella... finally.

Coachella Bound
01-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Ive been waiting 5 years to start this thread.... so happy to see such a DIY band make it to the Polo Fields. Time to educate the masses.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K2GS7Z1UqsE/TLyilhhOyNI/AAAAAAAAAbk/4axlG4U2etQ/s1600/The+Growlers.jpg

ciA5JKwwYW0

prickly
01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeesss!! Just saw them at the echo and it was so much fun. Can't wait!

darkmoon66
01-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Saw them play a few songs before Warpaint at a benefit show last month and they were good, I'd be down to see them.

Coachella Bound
01-12-2012, 06:01 PM
iSX6dc8Fthg

Coachella Bound
01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
film cred to Jack Coleman.... prob my favorite Growler jam.

HY696M0eC3A

Coachella Bound
01-15-2012, 08:59 AM
*_BUMP_*

Highly Refined Pirate
01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
The growlers are so awesome, they remind me of the doors. Are they going to release their new cd before coachella?

rjadams90
01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Time for those gay thoughts and feelings

Coachella Bound
01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
The growlers are so awesome, they remind me of the doors. Are they going to release their new cd before coachella?

As some of you may already know, Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys, is producing the new album. They spent a good 2 weeks in Tenn. working on it, and this was all done before coming back to Cali for their december tour. Id be very surprised if it wasnt finished, Ill try and get some info from them. And as far as the Doors reference goes, Brooks is never going to escape the comparison no matter how hard he tries. Hes expressed his disapproval of the comments, but even he knows it is what it is. Infact this song -

dwSI4gBYd_w

was a take on Jims life, but he changed the ending so that the 'Jim' in this song has sons.

dannykrug
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
These guys used to be a ton of fun, but as I kept going to more and more shows they just kept doing the same thing. I had some great times at Growlers shows in venues like Origami Vinyl, Lucky Strike Orange County, and even at Silverlake Jubilee, but I've grown bored of them. As far as DIY bands on the polo field I'd much rather see FIDLAR, Bleached, Trash Talk or The Babies.

wscmx13
01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Havent seen them since they threw rad parties in Costa Mesa and i missed them at FYF. Definitely gonna catch their set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us377Cewaz0

From Beyond
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Wow - they remind me of Spindrift who I was hoping would crack the line up this year.

Good Stuff!

Thanks!

Coachella Bound
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Havent seen them since they threw rad parties in Costa Mesa and i missed them at FYF. Definitely gonna catch their set.

the Couples release parties were the best... so genius.

dyltr0n3030
01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
the Couples release parties were the best... so genius.

yepyepyep

Coachella Bound
01-19-2012, 02:19 PM
this past fall, the Growlers were invited to perform along side Marcelo Camelo @ Rock in Rio -

b3WxHAQ5plw

PulpOne
01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I like.

jefferie
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Got into these guys after the line-up came out but I'm already liking what I hear, vocals remind me of Deer Tick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZgf9NR44Gw

heart cooks brain
01-21-2012, 07:50 AM
rully like this band.

Coachella Bound
01-25-2012, 08:14 AM
lets go back....

gvgav3TofHM

IzGewd
01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
where should I start with these guys?

jefferie
01-25-2012, 10:06 AM

I would start with the videos posted in this thread.

Coachella Bound
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

they really only have 2 main albums -
Greatest sHits
Are You In Or Out

there was also a period of time in which they released a series of songs called the 'Couples'. The majority of my favorite material came from this 9 month time frame. Not sure how much of the orignal versions are still available, most of the more popular songs were remastered for the Hot Tropics EP and Are You In Or Out

IzGewd
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
they really only have 2 main albums -
Greatest sHits
Are You In Or Out

there was also a period of time in which they released a series of songs called the 'Couples'. The majority of my favorite material came from this 9 month time frame. Not sure how much of the orignal versions are still available, most of the more popular songs were remastered for the Hot Tropics EP and Are You In Or Out

alright Cool. Thanks!

Coachella Bound
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420954_10150509354285079_60933375078_9124441_80881 3165_n.jpg

Although the album isn’t due until late spring and they’re still searching for a label (and a title) for it, Nielsen shares some of what went down in Nashville.

How long did you spend in the studio with Dan?

Ten days. But one day we didn’t do shit. We were like [we are now]—so hung-over you can’t even move, watching some TV show. We partied too soon.

Did you write the songs beforehand?

We had three months. We wrote 70 songs. We went nuts up until a week before we made the record. We had to go to Brazil, and then, we [were going to] have a week off to pick out 20 songs and learn them. That was the plan, and then, Dan’s lawyer’s like, “Actually, we’re going to need you in [the studio] tomorrow.” We were like “Oh cool, we fucking suck. We don’t have any of these songs learned.” We got there and we were like, “Oh, Dan we don’t really know the songs yet. Actually, we have to write ‘em.” It was fucked. We had 10 days to record 19 songs. We barely fucking pulled it off.

What was Dan like as a producer?

He’s really chill about everything. For days, it was like, “Dan, your thoughts?” and he’d be like, “Yeah, that sounds cool, man. Are you ready to do vocals?” He’s more hands-on [when it comes to the] engineering. For the most part, he just let things go, which was cool because we didn’t make that much of a jump from the last Growlers record [ Hot Tropics, 2010].

How did Dan find out about The Growlers?

I don’t know. He had us play a show with them. I was all fucked up, eating chips. I was so drunk [that] I was throwing out the big chips because they were too much to handle. But our drummer was really social and they were e-mailing. He wanted to record us and I was like, “I don’t know, man. Tell him we’ll look at the studio and maybe make a single.” Then we got in the studio we were like, “We fucking love this place! It’s like Disneyland!”

Are you a fan of The Black Keys?

I didn’t even really know Black Keys. I mean, I’d heard songs on the radio. I didn’t expect much. And I was like, “OK, this guy is cool. He has good taste. This spot rules.” I’m still not a fan. I’m going to get all his CDs and listen to them now though because the guy is awesome. I don’t really listen to music, let alone bands.

You don’t listen to music?

Just funk records from ‘62 and early ‘63. And ‘72. [Ed Note: This was the only time that Palomo spoke up during the interview, noting to Nielsen, “You’ve got the worst taste in music, ever.”]

How did you pare the 70 songs you wrote down to 20?

It was hell. You’ve got five guys that all have attachments to certain songs. We battled and battled, and finally, gave up. We took 22 to the studio and did them one by one and decided [that] whatever didn’t make it, didn’t make it. Three or four didn’t. But now we’re home and we’re going to start making homemade garage records for this gap we have off. We should make and record at least 30 songs in this time off. We’ll have some homemade records that we can release or not. Maybe they’ll be rough drafts for other records.

[B]Is that how you’ve made your previous albums?

Yeah. We made an album every month for eight months to prove we should be in a band. Every month, we’d write the record upstairs, record it down here, mix it together, have a friend master it, burn it on a CD, silkscreen the [album cover], hand-paint them, and then, throw a fucking party at a warehouse in LA or here. Then, after eight months, I felt alright about the band.

knotted_donuts
01-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Just caught them at SoHo (Santa Barbara) again... it didn't seem as intense as the first time, but then again, I wasn't anywhere near as close. Looking forward to seeing the on the polo grounds!

Highly Refined Pirate
01-27-2012, 03:12 AM
This isn't a song they play live ever but I'm infatuated with it so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lap4D7MYoLA

wstsidela
02-26-2012, 09:08 AM
I fuckin' love this song!!!

http://youtu.be/QWzJ-Cbe1js

wscmx13
02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPj1MA8n78s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6a4LZBS0Oc

grichsgang
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Really liking what I hear from these guys. This could be one of those "I saw them back in..." moments. Kudos to GV for another excellent find.

Coachella Bound
03-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Really liking what I hear from these guys. This could be an "I saw them back in..." moments. Kudos to GV for another excellent find.

theyve been around for a good 5 years... soooo theres already people saying that. Surprised it took GV this long to book them.