PDA

View Full Version : Too much Black Keys

darkmoon66
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
We had them in 2009 and in 2011, did they really need to be booked again this year??

GuyInTucson
01-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree and I love The Black Keys. Yet, I will probably watch them again and enjoy their set.... again.

nathanfairchild
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
if it's this or SHM, then it's a pretty easy choice.

concertgoer
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Well they might have been the replacement for Black Sabbath, but yeah lazy booking and while I like them I will likely be elsewhere during their set.

concertgoer
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

It won't be. SHM will close the main after The Keys.

GuyInTucson
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

They'll probably play before SHM on the main. That's my guess.

nathanfairchild
01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Well they might have been the replacement for Black Sabbath, but yeah lazy booking and while I like them I will likely be elsewhere during their set.

sabbath would've been equally wtf

concertgoer
01-12-2012, 05:10 PM
I would have watched Sabbath I think

nathanfairchild
01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
i probably would too, but i can almost guarantee i'd be let down. i saw ozzy like 4 or 5 years ago and it was terrible. dude doesn't have it anymore.

irthesteve
01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Rumor is that No Doubt were the headliner but they had to back out, leaving The Black Keys to be top billed

summerkid
01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Where did you pull that rumor from? Billboard reported that Black Sabbath were going to headline but had to pull out due to Toni Iommi's cancer diagnosis. If the Black Keys were a replacement for anybody it was most likely Sabbath.

Neighborhood Creep
01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
They played in '07 too.

Boourns
01-12-2012, 09:29 PM
We had them in 2009 and in 2011, did they really need to be booked again this year??

Not at all.

irthesteve
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Where did you pull that rumor from? Billboard reported that Black Sabbath were going to headline but had to pull out due to Toni Iommi's cancer diagnosis. If the Black Keys were a replacement for anybody it was most likely Sabbath.

Honestly, I don't remember where I heard it. But "rumor" could mean I started it myself, haha...

But really, I did hear that somewhere....

microcuts
01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Meh, wasn't the announcement that he had cancer made the same morning that the lineup dropped? That's kind of short notice for Black Keys to suddenly just jump in, and their tour dates had fit with Coachella all along anyway.

2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, now 2012. They just won't go away. At least now they won't be back for several years.

Boourns
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Next year they can headline two nights, like Radiohead did at APW.

EndersRapture
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah I completely agree. I like them, but I was completely disappointed when I saw them as a headliner this year. =(

TickleMeElmo
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Supposedly Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg were Black Sabbath's replacement which sorta makes sense.

Gribbz
01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I skipped them last year so I don't have a problem with it.
Cry with me.

summerkid
01-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Meh, wasn't the announcement that he had cancer made the same morning that the lineup dropped? That's kind of short notice for Black Keys to suddenly just jump in, and their tour dates had fit with Coachella all along anyway.

2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, now 2012. They just won't go away. At least now they won't be back for several years.

Sure, that's when they released a statement about the lymphoma. It's likely he had received the diagnosis some time before releasing a statement to the media regarding it.

bluemamba
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
So lazy. They shouldve just added Waters doing The Wall.

summerkid
01-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Supposedly Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg were Black Sabbath's replacement which sorta makes sense.

Where did you hear this? not that I don't believe you I'm just curious to read the story. Without any information I would guess Black Keys as it explains why they would play two years in a row as a subheadliner and then a headliner.

jgafs
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
So lazy. They shouldve just added Waters doing The Wall.

That would've ruled.

Panda421
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I also read that Dre & Snoop replaced Sabbath but figured that it would make more sense if the Keys filled in. Saw them last year and will be watching something else this year.

menikmati
01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
This is their 5th time playing.

Kid Charlemagne
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
It was too obvious to have TBK's tour align with Coachella, not to mention they didn't announce many west coast dates leading up to Monday. Then again Dre and Snoop had to have been in the back pocket because I would think a show like that would have had to have been booked way in advance considering how big of a deal it is. But then again, we've seen numerous reports on it, but nobody has come forward and said anything about it aside from said articles. Either way, I would have like to have seen someone else in that Keys spot, but I love them and I'll see them, it's going to be a fun set.

irthesteve
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Whether they filled in for Sabbath, No Doubt, or anyone else... I think they were going to be playing anyway, just not as headliner. I don't think there was any notice to be made, just a bump in billing

clumsy342
01-12-2012, 10:49 PM
This is their 5th time playing.

I've seen them at Coachella every time except for last year when I was at Cut Copy. (I hear the sound for their show was real bad anyway)
But I totally plan on seeing them this year as a headline act.
I think I'm winning at the "seeing The Black Keys at Coachella" game.

bluemamba
01-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I like the Keys but damn its over kill. 3 out of the last 4 years.

Im going to say it right now though. A headliner is going to be added on friday. Remember 2008.

clumsy342
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Ultimately, at least it's not Coldplay.

Bumblebee
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Did Foo Fighters, Coldplay and Bjork all no before they asked Black Keys?

A lazy booking, made worse by the fact it'll be a very similar experience to them playing Friday 2011 before an EDM act on the mainstage. Hope they get the TV screens working this time.

IMO, GV must have had some "plan B" headliners that kept some dates open/strategic tour announcements when/if some other ambitious plans fall thru.

crumbduck
01-12-2012, 11:02 PM
If the Black Keys can play for the fifth time I sure wish we could've had Bjork for a fourth instead.

clumsy342
01-12-2012, 11:08 PM
SHM closing the main? is that the consensus?

summerkid
01-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I like the Keys but damn its over kill. 3 out of the last 4 years.

Im going to say it right now though. A headliner is going to be added on friday. Remember 2008.

2008 had difficulty selling tickets, that will not be the case this year.

summerkid
01-12-2012, 11:10 PM

I would imagine so.

Hayleymoo
01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
i was probably the only bored one at their set last year, not looking forward to their set again.

heart cooks brain
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM
you realize there are other stages, no?

Corona89
01-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I'll be rocking out to Little Black Submarines while other people are bitching.. WOOOO!!!

irthesteve
01-12-2012, 11:47 PM
And I'll be back at camp showering, because they are totally empty during headliners :-)

tmac
01-13-2012, 12:00 AM
yup

DFrank
01-13-2012, 01:11 AM
I just dont understand what the Black Keys have done in between April 2011 and this coming April to serve them this spot. Their new album seems to be running on left over fuel from Brothers (or maybe im just black keys-ed out and the album came too soon for me).

I would agree that the Black Keys were more popular than The Strokes were last year, but why/how could you need a co-headliner for The Strokes and not the Black Keys.

im done.

bganch
01-13-2012, 01:25 AM
I really feel like the 2 weekend thing fucked everything up. Coachella will now get progressively worse every year from here on out... It was a good ride but FUCK YOU Goldenvoice! Selling out to sell out.

Lithium
01-13-2012, 01:40 AM
I was extremely disappointed seeing Black Keys all the way at the top. Replacing Black Sabbath I understand, but seriously? Last year's show was good enough. They need to replace them in my opinion to make this year somewhat worthwhile for the first day.

Bumblebee
01-13-2012, 04:21 AM
I just dont understand what the Black Keys have done in between April 2011 and this coming April to serve them this spot. Their new album seems to be running on left over fuel from Brothers (or maybe im just black keys-ed out and the album came too soon for me).

An Auerbach solo set would be one way to differentiate 2011 and 2012.

krk67
01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't get them in the headlining slot, much less their overexposure (which has been ridiculous).

Had it been the Foos or No Doubt (assuming Snoop replaced Black Sabbath), it would have made a ton more sense to me. It would have been a pretty perfect lineup.

I'm still very happily going, though, but I'll probably take the BK set as my opportunity to look at the pretty lights and art at night.

heart cooks brain
01-13-2012, 07:13 AM
I was extremely disappointed seeing Black Keys all the way at the top. Replacing Black Sabbath I understand, but seriously? Last year's show was good enough. They need to replace them in my opinion to make this year somewhat worthwhile for the first day.

you probably shouldn't go. abandon all ideas of purchasing tickets. tell your friends.

concertgoer
01-13-2012, 07:24 AM
you probably shouldn't go. abandon all ideas of purchasing tickets. tell your friends.

hehe

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Interesting read that came out before the line up.

http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2012/01/09/what-will-coachella-bring/88648/

What will Coachella bring?
January 9th, 2012, 1:02 pm posted by BEN WENER, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

For a moment it seemed like it was going to happen early this morning, and longtime Coachellans know it can arrive with no notice. This post could very well be followed by one announcing the real deal.
But here we are still waiting with bated breath for some of our Coachella questions to be answered this week.
Has No Doubt really fallen off the bill? Were they ever really on? How did Goldenvoice manage to fill two weekends with the same roster of talent? Or did they? If so, how close did they come to matching lineups?
And what of the rumor that Black Sabbath would close one night – a questionable decision even for this eclectic event – now that Tony Iommi is in the early stages of lymphoma?
That doesn’t mean Sabbath won’t appear in April, or anywhere else on their next ballyhooed reunion tour. But if they really were locked in, and now have to fall out, I can still see Red Hot Chili Peppers, say, or even Coldplay stepping in to flesh out the bill, despite both of those bands having instant sell-out shows at Staples Center and the Hollywood Bowl (respectively) before and after Coachella.
Radiohead still seems a lock, as do a number of undercard names: Elvis Costello, Pulp, the Shins, M83, Andrew Bird. I’m expecting Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver. There’s been persistent talk of an At the Drive-In reunion. A few other stars, including reggae legend Jimmy Cliff and new indie-soul sensation the Weeknd, have been revealed via video postings on Coachella’s site.
Then there’s No Doubt.
Many had expected Gwen & Co. to wrap up a night (Friday?) from as far back as September. That choice may seem a tad too mainstream (not that Coldplay is any less so these days) but it certainly would make sense. This is a Southern California fest, after all, and a Goldenvoice one first and foremost – ND has more than earned a prime slot in Indio. And the timing would be especially sweet if their decade-later next album somehow veers back to their heyday sound while progressing into a futurepop better than the Black Eyed Peas can burp up.
Over the weekend, however, came whispers that No Doubt had bowed out, despite a handsome payday. The result: the Black Keys would move into the top spot for Friday.
Keep in mind, people: this is ALL hearsay. I believe only what’s ultimately on the poster.
Whatever the details, the wait to know them is definitely reaching the excruciatingly unbearable point. What would I like to see? A surprise or two, something the undercard always provides whether the headliners do or not. Frankly, Radiohead is enough of a headliner for two weekends. Whoever else Paul Tollett and his gang got is icing – though Tom Waits, potentially the coolest Coachella booking since Leonard Cohen, would make for an excellent cherry on top.

Miroir Noir
01-13-2012, 08:22 AM
No Doubt backing out makes more sense than Black Sabbath backing out, mostly because the former actually would have made some sense as a booking to begin with. I'm sorry, but Billboard's entirely unsourced "Black Sabbath was totally going to headline Coachella" story doesn't pass the smell test for me.

That said, the Keys are as much of a headliner as the Killers, or Muse, or Kings of Leon, or Arcade Fire were.

casey
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
I think they'll do a great job and it's nice to see a band come up through the Coachella ranks, but this is definitely overkill.

KickerConspiracy
01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
That said, the Keys are as much of a headliner as the Killers, or Muse, or Kings of Leon, or Arcade Fire were.

Arcade Fire is a bigger 'get' than the Keys. They were the best headliner last year by far. As for the Keys, I don't mind them. Coach usually has one slack headliner (Jack Johnson, Gorillaz, Kings of Leon, the Killers are recent ones that come to mind). It could be way worse - the Keys > Foo, No Doubt, RHCP. I wouldn't have minded Coldplay so much. Still MOR rock, but at least they're pleasant.

Bjork or Black Sabbath would've been great.

Miroir Noir
01-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Black Keys are as popular right now (if not more so) than Arcade Fire were at this point last year. I'm not making a judgment on artistic merits or who has the best live show.

mistakenstrangers
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Last minute 'we can't find a day 1 headliner' booking most probably...

eyestothesky
01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I love the keys. I missed most of their set last year, El Camino is great, and I will love it. Considering we had to deal with KoL headlining last year, the headliners this year look much better. I rather see TBK than Sabbath anyway, so shoot me.

zachyd
01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
I love the keys. I missed most of their set last year, El Camino is great, and I will love it. Considering we had to deal with KoL headlining last year, the headliners this year look much better. I rather see TBK than Sabbath anyway, so shoot me.

My sentiments exactly, except I caught their whole set. And at Outside Lands too

Bumblebee
01-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I guess the "weak headliner" argument was rendured mute when GV sold out both weekend this morning. It took about as long as a KEYS set to do it.

nmballa
01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Obviously it's going to be a fantastic time but I'm just not that stoked about Black Keys be the headliner for the first night. Was really hoping for Daft Punk or David Bowie.

CitizenJ
01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Why book bowie when you can get the keys for a FRACTION of the price and still sell out the weekend? This is what will be the end of Coachella as a good festival, the ability to sell out without having to book big acts, just based on the fact that it is "Coachella".

tigermilkboy
01-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Ultimately, at least it's not Coldplay.

The answer to every booking on the line-up!!

nathanfairchild
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I guess the "weak headliner" argument was rendured mute when GV sold out both weekend this morning. It took about as long as a KEYS set to do it.

weak has to do with the lazy booking of an artist who subbed last year. the fact that it sold out has nothing to do with that.

Monko760
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Gorillaz a slack headliner? AF is a bigger get than the Keys if your a pussy whiny emo bitch.

I'dDoItAllAgain
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
The difference being that those bands haven't played every other year, like TBK have.

Bumblebee
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
The difference being that those bands haven't played every other year, like TBK have.

Didn't Killers/KOL/Arcade each play the festival 3 times over a span of 5-7 years? I'm counting the Brandon solo spot mini reunion.

bobert
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Last year I was completely convinced that skipping the Black Keys for Cut // Copy was the best decision I made all weekend. Now it is even more best.

Bumblebee
01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Do we get big screens in COLOUR this year?

Mr.Trent
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Why book bowie when you can get the keys for a FRACTION of the price and still sell out the weekend? This is what will be the end of Coachella as a good festival, the ability to sell out without having to book big acts, just based on the fact that it is "Coachella".

THIS exactly, is there any thread talking about the impact of the festival being now so massively popular that there is no necessity to bring wow-factor artists/bands? Excluding of course Pulp/Mazzy Star/ATDI, I can understand their hardcore fans being rightly excited about this year but I'm not one of them.

I just feel like next year they won't try too hard in getting something special since they know whatever comes will sell out.

The undercard is great but I have no problem whatsoever in seeing the smaller acts I care about in smaller venues, and all much less costly than the whole weekend.

bobert
01-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Right. The reason we didn't get Bowie this year is because The Black Keys low-balled their way to the top of the poster.

Jimbezy
01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I agree, two years in a row is a bit much, but new album sounds killer so still looking forward to there stuff.

citizenerased
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I didn't watch them in '09 or '11 so I really don't mind that they're back. Doesn't hurt that El Camino was my favorite album of the year.

darkjustice
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM
the black keys are a great band stop trippin

darkmoon66
01-13-2012, 07:23 PM
the black keys are a great band stop trippin

I really don't think anyone here has disagreed with that, but it's really boring to have the same band play 3 out of the last 4 years. We need some new blood at Coachella.

Tinseltown
01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
(I hear the sound for their show was real bad anyway)It definitely was the worst sound of any set I was at last year, which is why I'm okay with it being a repeat. Plus, the El Camino stuff has a different sound to it than their previous stuff so that'll be cool. In short, not ideal but could be worse.

ManInTheBowlerHat
01-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Jeez, you hipsters are so fickle. I can guarantee you that if it was Arcade Fire playing yet again, you wouldn't be complaining. El Camino is a brilliant rock album and they're probably the biggest rock band in America right now... it makes sense that they got a headlining spot.

travelfan
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
THIS exactly, is there any thread talking about the impact of the festival being now so massively popular that there is no necessity to bring wow-factor artists/bands?

Just last year. Every single person alive. Was championing that Radiohead. Would be the biggest fucking headliner ever. Right up there with Bowie and Daft Punk. I swear to God you can't please anybody anymore.

What ONE year had three headliners that were all epic? The year we got Prince AND Roger Waters was the same year Jack Johnson serenaded 7 people with Banana Pancakes. I get why the Black Keys may be disappointing to some, but to say this year's headliners lack wow factor is stupid. Just because you saw Radiohead coming doesn't mean they weren't one of THE most sought after and desired headliners for this festival.

Mr.Trent
01-14-2012, 01:03 AM
^ yes I see your point..

and another thing, would this same lineup have sold out in say 2009 or 2010? It doesn't have a single massively mainstream artist like Macca, KoL, the Killers, Muse or Jay-z which tend to attract the bulk of the people who just come for the headliners. are people just coming because it's a "cool" thing to do? or was this exponential growth going to happen anyway regardless of mainstream acts?

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Rumor is that No Doubt were the headliner but they had to back out, leaving The Black Keys to be top billed

you're wrong.

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Just last year. Every single person alive. Was championing that Radiohead. Would be the biggest fucking headliner ever. Right up there with Bowie and Daft Punk. I swear to God you can't please anybody anymore.

What ONE year had three headliners that were all epic? The year we got Prince AND Roger Waters was the same year Jack Johnson serenaded 7 people with Banana Pancakes. I get why the Black Keys may be disappointing to some, but to say this year's headliners lack wow factor is stupid. Just because you saw Radiohead coming doesn't mean they weren't one of THE most sought after and desired headliners for this festival.

ANd there were not 7 people at Jack's set...there were probably 30,000. It was PACKED.

wompwomp
01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
The Black Keys were pretty decent last year, although I feel you get the same damn thing with them every time. Last year was the third time I saw them and it just felt really stale.

I can't imagine I will be at this set, but it might be worth it to see Little Black Submarines live. That song fucking wails and it could be pretty stellar in a live setting.

Put me in the camp for SHM closing the main stage. Pretty sure this will happen.

Karilo13
01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Rumor is since Black Sabbath couldn't headline anymore, they were looking for another band with the word Black in it. Black Eyed Peas, NO. Black Lips, eh. Black Keys, okay, I guess.

DropletsOfYes&No
01-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Maybe they will pull a Prince move and in March a magical unexpected headliner will appear above the Black Keys and then people will be really pissed that it sold out

zachyd
01-14-2012, 11:57 AM
This is kind of a shitty thread to have be the Black Keys thread for the lineup forum. Where can people like myself who even saw them twice last year but is still really stoked to see them again talk about them? I'm listening to this right now:

3ku_nvKyUV0

TrigoLoc
01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Do you think they had some sort of "buy 4 years, get the 5th free" clause in the original contract? Might help explain why they keep showing up

HedNoiZe801
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
I am excited for these guys. Started listening to their music recently and I'm glad they are back since I had no clue who they were last year. Plus I was jamming to Breakage and Beardyman last year when they played. STOKED!

NnzIrRykilA

thedevious
01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I do not like this band.

with_cheese
01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
^ yes I see your point..

and another thing, would this same lineup have sold out in say 2009 or 2010? It doesn't have a single massively mainstream artist like Macca, KoL, the Killers, Muse or Jay-z which tend to attract the bulk of the people who just come for the headliners. are people just coming because it's a "cool" thing to do? or was this exponential growth going to happen anyway regardless of mainstream acts?

Are you not familiar with Dr. Dre or Radiohead.....or The Black Keys?

CoachellaFriendly
01-14-2012, 06:54 PM
They're a good band but they used to be so much better way back. They lost a bit of their bluesy edge for the cheese. Here's to maybe hearin this song while walking around.

http://youtu.be/1oo345vWUGk

david.sound
01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Actually I heard David Bowie was gonna headline but he had to back out because of old age.

Hey I can do it too.

frizzlefry
01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Here's hoping that the Black Keys crew is slow and delay SHM...still not happy I missed out on Escape Velocity last year.

CoachellaFriendly
01-14-2012, 08:09 PM
You missed out huge

Bumblebee
01-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Jeez, you hipsters are so fickle. I can guarantee you that if it was Arcade Fire playing yet again, you wouldn't be complaining. El Camino is a brilliant rock album and they're probably the biggest rock band in America right now... it makes sense that they got a headlining spot.

Arcade vanish between tours plus their tour ccycles are quite distinctive from one another in set design and setlist. Plus you are comparing a duo vs. a band with 7-9 people onstage.

Maybe they will pull a Prince move and in March a magical unexpected headliner will appear above the Black Keys and then people will be really pissed that it sold out

I still think there may be a 2nd or 3rd liner to be announced. best case scenario someone like Jack White who apparently announces his major 2012 plans in a week or two.

elbrycen
01-15-2012, 12:41 PM
i missed out on their set due to a conflict last year, so i'm mad stoked.