PDA

View Full Version : Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

bballarl
06-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Hey, the new Toys That Kill album is pretty damn awesome if you're into that sort of thing. The album release show in Pedro a few weeks ago was some of the most fun I've had at a show in awhile.

I had never heard these guys and they opened for the Avengers last week. They were great. Haven't heard the records, but I bought a copy for my friend for her birthday, so I'll listen to it eventually.

Which is a fairly apt continuation of the thematic nature of their first album.

Their songs crush me in really good ways.

People keep writing about how much better the lyrics are on the new record. Honestly, I thought the lyrics were great on the first album. Simple, yes. Repetitive, yes. But they were great at articulating very specific, intense feelings, and matching those feelings with musical moments that intensify them. "It's raining in Vancouver/But I don't give a fuck/Because I'm alone with you tonight" is beautiful in its simplicity. Anyone who has been in love can understand that.

That said, the lyrics are much better-composed on the new album.

"It's a lifeless life with no/fixed address to give/But you're not mine to die for anymore/So I must live"? Killer.

"What if I had all of the answers/and you had the body you wanted/would we love with a legendary fire?" Devastating.

I still need to listen to this. That is a hell of a recommendation Mitch.

Tom, think the Replacements in terms of feel, not in terms of sound. Their music is really life-affirming. When I fantasize about the perfect rock 'n' roll show, I picture Titus Andronicus or Japandroids as the band playing.

Gribbz
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM
After third listen, WIXIW is the current front-runner for album of the year.

Agreed. This is great.

I don't think I've ever given Liars a proper listen.

rage patton
06-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Liars are a fantastic band... but holy hell this new album is quite something. I have listened to the thong about 3 or 4 times through now, and I think it may be Liars best album. I like all of their albums a fair bit, but every album of theirs has at least 1 or 2 songs I skip. Not this one though. Every song is solid and I find the album continuously gets better, song after song.

Pea
06-02-2012, 04:09 PM
The debut from Exitmusic is fucking amazing. So dark, powerful, and reaching, yet always seemingly on the verge of total collapse. The singer has some really unique quivering vocals that I've really fallen in love with the more I listen.

fmtcrv2ImF4

ZMg9Syt84YI

TallGuyCM
06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm very much enjoying the new King Tuff album, some good garage rock shit.

Listening to this album now, finally a band that doesn't sound exactly like the rest of the garage rock bands!

guedita
06-05-2012, 09:50 AM
WIXIW fucking rocks.

TallGuyCM
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
This year is going to be so insane for releases by the time it's done. It's like all of the bands that put out great albums in '09 and '10 decided to join forces and release albums this year. I imagine next year will be the year of the breakout artists, chock full of great debut albums from bands we don't know about at the moment.

malcolmjamalawesome
06-06-2012, 10:35 AM
As of right now, "These Chains" is my favorite track on the new Hot Chip. Will dig deeper shortly.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM
The debut from Exitmusic is fucking amazing. So dark, powerful, and reaching, yet always seemingly on the verge of total collapse. The singer has some really unique quivering vocals that I've really fallen in love with the more I listen.

Oh nice! I really liked their 2-song ep last year.

Miroir Noir
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Stephen Hyden nails Celebration Rock in this article (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8013051/japandroids-beach-boys-try-recapture-rock-lost-youth).

nosurprises12
06-06-2012, 10:49 AM
As of right now, "These Chains" is my favorite track on the new Hot Chip. Will dig deeper shortly.

I've listened to it a few times now, and I'm enjoying it. I think the run of "Look at Where We Are"--"These Chains"--"Night and Day"--"Flutes" is my favorite part, as each of these tracks is strong in its own way. "Now There is Nothing" is pretty awful, though. Finally, the bass line in "How Do You Do" reminds me a lot of "Wanna Be Startin' Something," which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Gribbz
06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I thought the new Hot Chip was pretty underwhelming upon first listen. I'll have to re-visit later.

nosurprises12
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I was in the same boat Gribbz, but for whatever reason it "clicked" a bit more when I listened to it again today.

thestripe
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Early prediction: what Titus Andronicus was at Coachella 2011 for a lot of people on this board, Japandroids will be for 2013.

That's if they end up being there. It seems like they plan their tours around Coachella but never make the bill.

thestripe
06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
People keep writing about how much better the lyrics are on the new record. Honestly, I thought the lyrics were great on the first album. Simple, yes. Repetitive, yes. But they were great at articulating very specific, intense feelings, and matching those feelings with musical moments that intensify them. "It's raining in Vancouver/But I don't give a fuck/Because I'm alone with you tonight" is beautiful in its simplicity. Anyone who has been in love can understand that.

YES! Excellent observation, Andrew.

rage patton
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
That's if they end up being there. It seems like they plan their tours around Coachella but never make the bill.

It would be a huge oversight on GV's part to not book Japandroids for next year. I can't imagine not seeing them on the bill at this point.

thestripe
06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Fingers crossed. I just hope we don't have another Why? situation going on.

IceyHotshot
06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
What happened with Why? They have an album, or an EP, in the works. I want them at Coachella!

thestripe
06-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Overlooked. Year after year. It's shameful.

ods..
06-07-2012, 10:25 AM
I dig this Kindness album, I'm surprised I hadn't listened to it yet but it's pretty great. Curren$y's Stoned Immaculate and Spaceghostpurrp's newest have been on rotation as well. Crazy year for hip hop.

bmack86
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
2012: 1977 for Hip Hop

SoulDischarge
06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, my interest in hip-hop has been completely resurrected thanks to a couple of releases this year. Listened to that Gangrene album last night, really enjoyed it.

GolfWang
06-07-2012, 06:03 PM
2010 was a waaayyyy better year for hip-hop than this year has been so far. at least for me. 2012 has been nice though.

bmack86
06-07-2012, 06:06 PM
What were some 2010 standouts for you?

GolfWang
06-07-2012, 06:12 PM
What were some 2010 standouts for you?

Kanye - MBDTF
Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot
Roc Marciano - Marcberg
Big K.R.I.T. - K.R.I.T. Wuz Here
Waka Flocka - Flockavelli (although admittedly I was way late to appreciating this album)

and then all the Odd Future shit:
Earl
Bastard
Blackenedwhite
Rolling Papers
Radical

probably some others I can't think of. 2012 may rival 2010 for me when it's over, but as of now 2010 wins.

Spooks
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Can't wait to pick this up next week :thu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbAHzAAtdd8

ps Trouble keeps coming for this dude haha....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CnBL3lBuOqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cbGfTPA0PUc

GeezrRckr
06-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Indie hip hop is the only thing keeping me interested in 2012. 2010 was so damn good all around. This year has been so damn mediocre for me. The AC, DPz and Grizz albums can't come soon enough.

nicholasyames
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
i'm sure somebody has talked about it already on here but...

the new walkmen album heaven is very good. i listened to it once through before sasquatch! and since am now on my third time through after seeing them play a majority of the songs at the festival. while the opening song, "we can't be beat" seems slow and boring, the live version certainly shows off lead singer's Hamilton Leithauser's voice and range as he dominates the microphone. Overall the entire album is very warm, certainly a sit down and listen to with headphones album for anyone looking for simple yet appreciative guitar licks. It's certainly a departure from what I thought of as the more surf oriented last album lisbon which I thoroughly enjoyed as well... But this new one is different, more laid back, less crossing guitars dueling with each other. instead it's much more straightforward, moving from songs with just one guitar to the whole band getting in on the action on others. i certainly would check it out if you're into them at all or if you like maybe the new lotus plaza album, which i certainly do, and anything else around that genre.

PotVsKtl
06-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Kanye - MBDTF
Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot
Roc Marciano - Marcberg
Big K.R.I.T. - K.R.I.T. Wuz Here

Innovation?

and then all the Odd Future shit:
Earl
Bastard
Blackenedwhite
Rolling Papers
Radical

Eh.

GolfWang
06-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Innovation?

I'm assuming you're trying to infer that none of the albums I mentioned were innovative? I would disagree for some of them, but even if I didn't innovation doesn't mean shit if the music isn't compelling. But I guess that's all just subjective bullshit.

What this year has been released that's more innovative?
Death Grips? - Techno Animal did it first and did it better.
Killer Mike? - Ice Cube/Public Enemy " "
El-P? - I'll Sleep When You're Dead shits all over Cancer4Cure but nobody seemed to care when that album was released.

wmgaretjax
06-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Techno Animal fucking sucks. The Killer Mike isn't exactly ground breaking, but definitely a perfect example of building on something great.

GolfWang
06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Techno Animal fucking sucks. The Killer Mike isn't exactly ground breaking, but definitely a perfect example of building on something great.

I love the Killer Mike record as well. Just because something isn't innovative or groundbreaking doesn't mean it's not great. That was pretty much my only point.

edit: and Techno Animal is the shit.

wmgaretjax
06-08-2012, 11:06 PM
The production on the Techno Animal stuff blows. In my book Death Grips and Techo Animal are drawing from opposite ends of the pond as far as the production goes. That's mostly what appeals to me about Death Grips and exactly what turns me off of Techno Animal. Techno Animal is just recycling old shit in overdrive...

GolfWang
06-08-2012, 11:14 PM
The production on the Techno Animal stuff blows. In my book Death Grips and Techo Animal are drawing from opposite ends of the pond as far as the production goes. That's mostly what appeals to me about Death Grips and exactly what turns me off of Techno Animal. Techno Animal is just recycling old shit in overdrive...

Really? I hear a lot of similarities between their production styles. It's not that I don't like Death Grips, though. I do. It's just that I don't think they're as special or as original as others do. I guess.

ocbruin84
06-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Was browsing Entertainment Weekly when I read this (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20601576,00.html) review:

To the list of people who've had mind-altering experiences at Coachella, you can add Usher. In April he was a surprise guest at the music festival, and he says his seventh album, Looking 4 Myself, was inspired by the eclectic acts he saw there, including Euro-disco champs Swedish House Mafia (who produced two songs for L4M) and Aussie synth-rockers Empire of the Sun (who guest on the title track). Even Usher's new look off stage — the Buddy Holly glasses, the facial scruff — suggests that he's warming to indie music. Did he go into Coachella as a Top 40 guy and come out a hipster?

Well, he's not exactly taking a stand against party-rock anthems here. Looking 4 Myself still sounds like the Usher you know; it's just a little more interesting than his usual onslaught of skull-pounding beats and silk-sheets ballads. Cool-kid DJ Diplo (M.I.A., Robyn) produced the electro-glitchy single ''Climax,'' which he's compared, not unfairly, to Radiohead. (Avant-classical composer Nico Muhly also arranged the strings on it.) Amy Winehouse producer Salaam Remi eases into a Motown vibe on ''Sins of My Father,'' and Pharrell Williams brings it back to the '60s with the retro-soul vamp ''Twisted.'' The slower songs drag, and when it comes to romance, Usher's hilariously clueless: He proposes a nice ''gang bang'' for his lady, and offers to ''let me be your body soap'' (um, yuck). But when he reins himself in and lets the producers experiment, he's getting something better than just another loverman hit. He's always been popular, but now he sounds cool. B

Also, they refer to the Walkmen in the sidebar as "brunch-rock"

wmgaretjax
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM
how are japandroids not just a rock version of dashboard confessional? your melodrama isn't interesting.

ods..
06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
It's whiny, but it's definitely catchy on repeat listens.

wmgaretjax
06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
oh, certainly. i couldn't help but want to bob my head and dance around... but it isn't particularly compelling beyond that. the lyrics made me throw up in my mouth a couple of times.

TallGuyCM
06-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I really like the new Japandroids record. It's so infectious. BUT...in general, I have a really hard time with overly earnest music. And Japandroids constantly tiptoe that line between stomachable and too much. It's why I can't handle Bright Eyes, Mumford and Sons, etc. (yes, I just put those two in the same sentence)...the music is so desperate for acceptance that it's nauseating. "Please, like our band! Listen to our music! This should be the soundtrack to your life!"

But most of the time, Japandroids manage to stay on the tolerable side of that line. And I enjoy both of their full-lengths very much. They were a bit annoying live the one time I saw them when they opened for The Walkmen a few years ago though.

GeezrRckr
06-09-2012, 08:52 PM
What Jared said. Plus, ahen I saw them last summer, they bored the fuck out of me. Next.

bmack86
06-09-2012, 08:54 PM
I like the new album, but am waiting to see them on friday before I buy it. Live show litmus test.

IceyHotshot
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Listening to my vinyl copy of Ekstasis right now and I am so in love.

bballarl
06-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Japandroids would drive me nuts if they didn't rock so hard. They are on the "these guys totally fucking mean it" side of the divide for me, rather than the "stop fucking whining" side.

malcolmjamalawesome
06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I was wrong. "Wild" is the best song on Bloom.

theklein25
06-10-2012, 12:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bY0es.jpg

Sophomore album from the Oxford band A Silent Film. They're music is alternative that is made up of ambient, atmospheric, and indie pop features. The bass and drums kill on this album and each song is near perfect. Definitely a step up from their first album. I'd say this is the best new music I've heard of 2012.

guedita
06-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Their.

Miroir Noir
06-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Seriously, how is it possible to make a mistake with that "they're"?

theklein25
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Changed my sentence as I was typing the sentence. Anyways who gives a fuck. A Silent Film - great band. Opener at the Troubadour this month.

Pea
06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
New Album Releases describes them as "indie pop." I like "indie pop." I'll give it a listen once I'm done laughing at this new album from The Morning Benders. I mean POP ETC.

IceyHotshot
06-10-2012, 03:44 PM
A stream for the new Fiona Apple will be up tomorrow, according to the last paragraph of this (http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/ap/ap120611fiona_apple_the_idle)

Pea
06-10-2012, 04:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bY0es.jpg

Sophomore album from the Oxford band A Silent Film. They're music is alternative that is made up of ambient, atmospheric, and indie pop features. The bass and drums kill on this album and each song is near perfect. Definitely a step up from their first album. I'd say this is the best new music I've heard of 2012.

I'm not sure you know what ambient or atmospheric mean. Not only is this album pretty bad, but it's neither of those, either.

theklein25
06-10-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure you know what ambient or atmospheric mean. .

This made me LOL so hard. You obviously think there is a narrow definition. Do me a favor and look up the history and tell me if you have the same opinion

IceyHotshot
06-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Ambient music is (almost always) music without a beat. I haven't listened but I'm willing to bet that this album doesn't fulfill that criteria.

ods..
06-10-2012, 04:58 PM
A stream for the new Fiona Apple will be up tomorrow, according to the last paragraph of this (http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/ap/ap120611fiona_apple_the_idle)

Woooo want this to leak already

IceyHotshot
06-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm sure you'll see shitty stream rips pop up multiple times tomorrow.

Pea
06-10-2012, 05:18 PM
This made me LOL so hard. You obviously think there is a narrow definition. Do me a favor and look up the history and tell me if you have the same opinion

Cool story, bro. Yea...they've sure created some groundbreaking atmospheric and ambient sounds in this album. Much like the ethereal soundscapes of Coldplay and Young the Giant, because that's exactly what that fucking album sounds like. Does your musical past begin with Foster the People?

EDIT: I love that I only had to look back about 6 of you posts to find you praising "Pumped Up Kicks." You really are that predictable.

cutterbutter
06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Ambient music is (almost always) music without a beat. I haven't listened but I'm willing to bet that this album doesn't fulfill that criteria.

Yeah thats a good definition for straight up ambient music. I'm not going to listen to the band this minute but these are the what.cd tags "alternative, ambient, pop, rock, indie.pop, indie.rock, atmospheric, uk" So pretty much indie pop with some spaciness to it.

People can get off each others nuts about genres whenever they feel like it though. Its all a conglomeration nowadays with most artist.

theklein25
06-10-2012, 05:32 PM
ME: "They're music is alternative that is made up of ambient, atmospheric, and indie pop features. The bass and drums kill on this album and each song is near perfect"

PEA: "Yea...they've sure created some groundbreaking atmospheric and ambient sounds in this album."

ok cool now we can move on

MissingPerson
06-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Any thoughts on The Hundred In The Hands' Red Night? I just keep wishing they'll have another song as spiffing as Killing It, but I've got a feeling I'm gonna be disappointed.

Alchemy
06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Have you guys heard the new album from The Beach Boys? I'm about halfway through. It seems mostly typical, I guess, but I've heard some good tracks.

thomas6937
06-10-2012, 08:07 PM

The stream went up just a few minutes ago.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/10/154422085/first-listen-fiona-apple-the-idler-wheel?sc=fb&cc=fmp

lookalive24
06-10-2012, 08:16 PM
The song "Left Alone" is ridiculously good.

mmsk123
06-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Shit, several of these songs are just awesome.

IceyHotshot
06-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, damn, guess I should have bought a ticket to see her when I had the chance after all.

cutterbutter
06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
It's okay. The palladium does too good of a job ruining anything awesome.

bballarl
06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Finally listening to the new Neil Young. It is a pretty good Crazy Horse record but nothing more.

Spooks
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Finally listening to the new Neil Young. It is a pretty good Crazy Horse record but nothing more.

True but we have more coming soon..... :thu

Guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro tells Billboard.com that after Young and company wrapped "Americana," "Neil just started playing a couple chords and jammed. I think we played for about 30 minutes, a whole bunch of stuff... And we've been recording since then." The upshot, Sampedro says, is that "we have another record coming out behind it, and that one is more like a 'real' Crazy Horse album. It's Neil's songs -- that's the major thing lacking on 'Americana,' right?"

http://www.billboard.com/news/neil-young-crazy-horse-eye-another-2012-1007276762.story#/news/neil-young-crazy-horse-eye-another-2012-1007276762.story

TallGuyCM
06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Aside from the 10-minute feedback jam at the end (which is awesome), the Ty Segall Band album is pure fire from start to finish. Much heavier than his past releases, and it works fantastically. I absolutely cannot wait to see this material live, it's going to be a fucking blast.

theklein25
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if there are any Alkaline Trio fans in here, but I picked up the Matt Skiba and the Sekrets record today and it's great!

ocbruin84
06-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I heard they've been butchering live shows lately.

theklein25
06-12-2012, 12:45 AM
That's too bad, but it's definitely possible since they're new. I may see them because they're in town next week.

cutterbutter
06-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I think he was talking about Alkaline Trio, who have recently been on a acoustic re-work songs kind of tour that's been extremely hit or miss.

This new band of his makes me long for Dan sung Alkaline Trio songs. A couple good ones on it though.

GeezrRckr
06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Any thoughts on The Hundred In The Hands' Red Night? I just keep wishing they'll have another song as spiffing as Killing It, but I've got a feeling I'm gonna be disappointed.

I stopped listening to it after track 3 or thereabouts. There is some interesting music there, but it is quite possibly the worst mastered album of 2012 and I just couldn't get through it as a result. Too much distortion and muddiness.

ocbruin84
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I think he was talking about Alkaline Trio, who have recently been on a acoustic re-work songs kind of tour that's been extremely hit or miss.

This new band of his makes me long for Dan sung Alkaline Trio songs. A couple good ones on it though.

No, I mean the new band.

http://www.punknews.org/article/47638

http://www.punknews.org/images/frontpage/fp-1330628130.jpg

knytt
06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I know it was discussed a bit when it leaked, but after one listen to The Tallest Man on Earth, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The lyrics are generally spot on and the instrumentation is interesting, but the energy just isn't there. I don't know why just yet, but it doesn't feel as direct and earnest as The Wild Hunt or Shallow Grave, even if it is as beautiful at times. I don't doubt I'll enjoy the album, but I feel like it's either going to take a lot longer to grip on to me, like the Wild Hunt did after one spin, or its just going to be a mid-level album for me and a relative disappointment.

rag and bone
06-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Aside from the 10-minute feedback jam at the end (which is awesome), the Ty Segall Band album is pure fire from start to finish. Much heavier than his past releases, and it works fantastically. I absolutely cannot wait to see this material live, it's going to be a fucking blast.

They (I guess, now) performed "Death" and "I Bought My Eyes" when I saw them at the Troubadour and Burgerama and both sounded fantastic. I went nuts. "Diddy Wah Diddy" is my favorite.

kitt kat
06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I really like the Ceremony album.

That's all I wanted to add.

GeezrRckr
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
The iamamiwhoami release ought to be getting more discussion in this thread. Especially since there seems to be such a clamoring for more Knife/Fever Ray music. This song especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AqU8FvTR3E

ods..
06-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I love the new Usher. Am I alone?

I should clarify: I love most of the new Usher. There is some serious shit, but some serious gems as well.

Pea
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I know it was discussed a bit when it leaked, but after one listen to The Tallest Man on Earth, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The lyrics are generally spot on and the instrumentation is interesting, but the energy just isn't there. I don't know why just yet, but it doesn't feel as direct and earnest as The Wild Hunt or Shallow Grave, even if it is as beautiful at times. I don't doubt I'll enjoy the album, but I feel like it's either going to take a lot longer to grip on to me, like the Wild Hunt did after one spin, or its just going to be a mid-level album for me and a relative disappointment.

Give it time. I've been a huge fan of his since the first LP and I was also really disappointed by the new album. It took about 5 or 6 listens but I really grew to love it and consider it right up there with all of his other material now. Might even end up in my top 10 for the year.

swhite423
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah I really like the new tallest man after a couple spins. The songs have a different feel for sure, but I am excited to seem some tonight. It won't go over as one of my favorite albums like The Wild Hunt was.

TallGuyCM
06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
I really like the Ceremony album.

That's all I wanted to add.

One of the better releases of this year for sure. Sean really needs to get them and Milk Music together for a show.

Gribbz
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM

Give it time. I've been a huge fan of his since the first LP and I was also really disappointed by the new album. It took about 5 or 6 listens but I really grew to love it and consider it right up there with all of his other material now. Might even end up in my top 10 for the year.

Yeah I really like the new tallest man after a couple spins. The songs have a different feel for sure, but I am excited to seem some tonight. It won't go over as one of my favorite albums like The Wild Hunt was.

I wasn't a big fan upon first listen... now it's my favorite of his.

EDIT* "1904" sounds incredible live.

Spooks
06-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Free $2 credit for Amazon....

anyone have good suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_dm_m5hbho?ie=UTF8&gcIsProcess=1&gcpcCode=MP3S4ALL&docId=1000808631#gc

SoulDischarge
06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Start stealing music.

Miroir Noir
06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
New Wild Nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnRLPaYXvoU&feature=player_embedded

New album, Nocturne, out at the end of August.

knytt
06-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I wasn't a big fan upon first listen... now it's my favorite of his.

EDIT* "1904" sounds incredible live.

I'm not sure it'll be my favorite as a whole, but certainly some of the songs will be: 1904 is wonderful, There's No Leaving Now is better than Kids on the Run, and I love the shuffle of To Just Grow Away. I'm still annoyed a bit by the amount of reverb in the vocals, but I'll get used to that I suppose.

westcoastpirate
06-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I love the new Hot Chip album, and it sounds so good blasting through large speakers. Let Me Be Him is the jam.

Newro7ic
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
I love the new Usher. Am I alone?

I should clarify: I love most of the new Usher. There is some serious shit, but some serious gems as well.

I'm with you. I equate it as my "Take Care" moment for this year. I expected to hate it, but I actually really enjoyed it. There are a few weak spots, but overall it was an enjoyable listen. Very upbeat and danceable.

kitt kat
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
One of the better releases of this year for sure. Sean really needs to get them and Milk Music together for a show.

I got a ladyboner thinking about this imaginary lineup.

IceyHotshot
06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Inner Tube - Inner Tube fucking kicks ass. Too bad the only digital rip I've found is really poor quality.

Pea
06-14-2012, 12:26 AM
There's No Leaving Now is better than Kids on the Run

Amazing. I was just trying to figure out which song "There's No Leaving Now" reminded me so much of, and you went right ahead and not only provided the name, but compared them as well...and rightfully so. The piano and entire vibe of the song sounds like such a natural continuation of "Kids on the Run." I think I agree with you about which is better, but both are definitely favorite tracks of mine.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, the new Melvins full-length Freak Puke is not very good. Sounds pretty lazy overall. They are historically a hit and miss band though.

cutterbutter
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
The single "Who" from Bryne and St. Vincent has me really excited for their album. What a great collaboration.

IceyHotshot
06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
The single "Who" from Bryne and St. Vincent has me really excited for their album. What a great collaboration.

Agreed. I'm on my 15th play of it. I just cannot turn it off.

Miroir Noir
06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
It's definitely the best song either artist released today.

Gribbz
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
From the other thread:

Carolina Chocolate Drops - Leaving Eden

Great old-timey blue grass string band. Very O Brother Where Art Thou.

http://i.imgur.com/WGKxV.jpg

EDIT* Greghead and Hannah will probably dig.

ocbruin84
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Can someone explain what is going on here

http://i47.tinypic.com/1owthf.jpg

Riggins33
06-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I refuse to listen to St. Vincent because of the way she looks.... I can tell shes very happy with herself.... she has a very punchable face.

bballarl
06-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Can someone explain what is going on here

http://i47.tinypic.com/1owthf.jpg

David Byrne + St. Vincent = That

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
The new Scissor Sisters album is WTF

IceyHotshot
06-14-2012, 06:12 PM
In a good way or bad way?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry, that wasn't really a review haha. They've totally changed their sound to a much more electropop sound. Much of the album was co-produced by Boy Noize, but the beats really feel like any other mainstream electronic pop song. There are some nice moments, but some of the songs are flat out annoying, and most of it is highly forgettable. Really disappointing, since their last one was so good.

lt.roast.a.botch
06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I am very surprised by Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs' Trouble. I thought it would be cheesy and it started off that way but there is some fun electro-disco beats perfect for the dance floor as the album progresses. Will definitely give this album some more listens.

ods..
06-15-2012, 02:14 AM
I love the new Peaking Lights so much. I'm not sure if it's better than 936 yet but there are some great moments on this one. Such a trippy band... They've got such an awesome sound to their records.

Kindness has been on steady repeat, amazing vibes and melodies. The more I listen the more I want to come back. Good sign.

On first listen Jaill's Traps is a pretty interesting garage rock/pop album that surprised me with it's harmonies. I think this shit would sound awesome live. Will see if it sticks with me on future listens.

In other news, I've been on an insane R&B kick lately. What's everybody been digging on?

lt.roast.a.botch
06-15-2012, 02:48 AM
alt-J - An Awesome Wave is one of my favorite folk albums of the year, if it is considered that. Really a complete album. Every song showcases a distinct idea yet the album flows seamlessly as whole. Really just a beautiful album and I'm impressed with the production as well.

Timestretch
06-15-2012, 03:46 AM
I love the new Peaking Lights so much. I'm not sure if it's better than 936 yet but there are some great moments on this one. Such a trippy band... They've got such an awesome sound to their records.

I think you nailed it. I love some of the tracks on Lucifer (Lo Hi, Live Love), but the album as a whole is not quite as coherent for me as 936. I love how it starts with a slow build for the first three tracks (Beautiful Son lets my imagination run around), but I wish at some point the album would build into a more uptempo jam since the individual songs don't have much in terms of dynamics. I kept waiting for a high energy track or something that was more than a dub trance that never happened. But overall it has been in rotation for me.

I was disappointed with the Light Asylum debut album (also on Mexican Summer). The songs sound like they were all put together really quickly and don't have enough complexity to keep me interested. Even the vocal, which are usually the highlight of this band, seem to fall flat. The one exception is Shallow Tears which is a great song---monotone and repetitive, but hits the feeling of sadness. Their EP last year was one of my favorite. Overall they remind me of Yazoo, but a little darker synthpop.

In other news, I've been on an insane R&B kick lately. What's everybody been digging on?

What do you think of Nick Waterhouse or not that kind of R&B?

ods..
06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
What do you think of Nick Waterhouse or not that kind of R&B?

Never heard of him! I'm digging the youtube videos i'm watching tho. He reminds me of Michael Kiwanuka/ Mayer Hawthorne. That throw-back sound, very cool.

I've been bumping JMSN, Kindness, Usher, Patrice & Friends, and Future sooooo much lately. In addition to a bunch of old school R&B too... I really like this Patrice & Friends album a lot, mixing juke beats with funk/soul, end result is awesome!

nosurprises12
06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
I've listened to Lucifer three or four times now, and while I agree that it's not as strong as 936 it still is a pretty solid album. The cleaned up production is a nice new touch, although I think I prefer the hazy, dubbed-out sound/vibe of the last album. That said, I have a feeling it will be soundtracking many of my late-afternoon drives for the rest of the summer.

ods..
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Holy shit. Evy Jane is fucking my mind up right now.

PotVsKtl
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately, the new Melvins full-length Freak Puke is not very good. Sounds pretty lazy overall. They are historically a hit and miss band though.

It's not a masterpiece but it deserves a little more attention than this. They're definitely experimenting with the 'Lite' lineup and it's interesting to hear the outcome. A lot of the tracks are very nearly acoustic and surprisingly jazzy. Definitely recommend a spin.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I definitely need to listen again. i do think it will translate live well

Spooks
06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
This was posted today. So fuckin happy right now...Double LP!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weZLy-_ncUg&feature=player_embedded

rage patton
06-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Woh wait what. I thought these guys were just a local Vancouver act getting lots of attention from the local press... but they are getting attention outside the city? Thats cool, good for them.

TallGuyCM
06-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Who, MONO? Nah man, they're a Japanese post-rock band, and one of the best of the genre at that.

TallGuyCM
06-15-2012, 08:02 PM
And guys. Seriously. Get on this new Ty Segall Band shit. This is the album of the summer. Fuck, I'll even go so far as to post the album cover so it gets more attention.

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/uploads/article_images/ty-segall-band-slaughterhouse-608x608.jpeg

LickTheLizzard
06-15-2012, 08:09 PM
It's really great.

TallGuyCM
06-15-2012, 08:32 PM
It's in the group btw.

GeezrRckr
06-15-2012, 10:34 PM
must get legit rip/ dammit!

TallGuyCM
06-15-2012, 11:45 PM
must get legit rip/ dammit!

Um, what exactly is the point of wanting a high resolution rip of something that is intentionally low-fi sounding?

¯\(°_0)/¯

wmgaretjax
06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
there is a distinct difference between lo-fi and shitty compression....

TallGuyCM
06-16-2012, 12:04 AM
The 192 rip in the group sounds fine.

ocbruin84
06-16-2012, 12:20 AM
The name "Ty Segall" sounds like the next douchy acoustic jam band singer-songwriter beach bum.

bmack86
06-16-2012, 12:31 AM
The 192 rip in the group sounds fine.

Jared's correct. I was trying to listen to it tonight, and the rhythm guitar on the 192 is so compressed that it just sounds tinny. The cymbals were washed out, the fuzz doesn't fuzz. It sounds like a great album, but I want to actually hear it.

TallGuyCM
06-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Jared's correct. I was trying to listen to it tonight, and the rhythm guitar on the 192 is so compressed that it just sounds tinny. The cymbals were washed out, the fuzz doesn't fuzz. It sounds like a great album, but I want to actually hear it.

Fair enough. I've only had a chance to listen on my phone, which obv isn't the ultimate way to hear anything. It still slays though, I can tell that much. ;)

GeezrRckr
06-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Ha....that or your stock-ish car stereo doesn't provide you with much of a reference point for fidelity, big guy. But, this isn't a big deal for you (others), so be it. Just know that for some of us, fidelity is important (and, as in a case like this, a frustration).

I listened to the 192 the moment Kat dropped it in the group and loved it! Hence, my frustration at having to wait for a higher-res rip to surface. I'm DYING to listen to it more but if I give that rip any more listens, it will fuck up my enjoyment of it.

ps - what Bryan said. I also want to *hear* it.

pps - plus, I think it's a transcode (which furthers the sound degradation). I'm not 100% positive, but either way I'm going to wait.

guedita
06-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Mosca's Eva Mendes EP pretty much captures the wonderful fusion between UK Bass, Berlin techno, and Chicago house that's been going on in the last year or so.

Sleepingrock
06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Mosca's Eva Mendes EP pretty much captures the wonderful fusion between UK Bass, Berlin techno, and Chicago house that's been going on in the last year or so.

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely a great blend.

roberto73
06-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Fans of Mercury Rev's first couple albums might want to check out Variety Lights, the new band from David Baker, Mercury Rev's original singer. I say "might want to check out" as opposed "will be a fan of," because it's sort of a patchy affair. Where Yerself Is Steam and Boces, the albums featuring Baker's vocals, were generally tuneful with flourishes of psychedelia, Variety Lights goes full-tilt in the opposite direction, emphasizing oddball synthy psychedelia over melody. It's not bad – not exactly – but I like where Mercury Rev ended up, and it's clear from listening to this that they wouldn't have gotten there with Baker in the fold. Still, I love those first couple albums, so it's nice to hear Baker's wobbly voice again.

Riggins33
06-16-2012, 04:39 PM
captures the wonderful fusion between UK Bass, Berlin techno, and Chicago house....................lol

Gribbz
06-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Never been big on Simian Mobile Disco, but I'm enjoying the hell out of their newest release. Seems a lot more refined than their previous efforts.

Pea
06-17-2012, 01:19 PM
I expect these guys will blow up within the next year with their debut LP (Wildlife Pop) that just came out. Nothing groundbreaking, but catchy as fuck and super fun to listen to.

graLHVVabbw

Kd3HGb7rdq4

SoulDischarge
06-17-2012, 01:27 PM
A bunch of my FB bear friends are into them.

Pea
06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Makes sense

ods..
06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Taragana Pyjamara - Tipped Bowls is really fucking good. Ethereal and huge... continuing the sound from the EP last year. Really love it on first listen.

Been playing out the Evy Jane EP the last few days. Trippy/repetitive r&b female vocals... super dark. Seriously recommend. I want more, nothing else on what, but I haven't really searched elsewhere.

I'm not going to say anything about the Fiona Apple album yet. I need to hear it one more time, but on first listen it seems like a fucking powerhouse. Can't wait to unpack it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Really digging that "Must land Running" Stepdad track! Will look into the rest of the album.

getbetter
06-17-2012, 03:41 PM
So Fight Bite best album cover of the year so far?

wmgaretjax
06-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Keith Fullerton Whitman's Occlusions is pretty extraordinary. My favorite since Disingenuousness. Definitely much more chaotic and difficult that his recent stuff, but the two sides definitely give plenty of insight into his process. The fact that each side captures a different execution of the same set of self-generative compositions provides some immediate entry points into what might otherwise be damn near impenetrable music.

In a similar vein, Eric Lanham's The Sincere Interruption is probably my favorite album thus far this year. More abstract electronic work, but with this one embracing digital synthesis in an incredibly direct and agressive manner. A completely psychotic record.

rage patton
06-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Who, MONO? Nah man, they're a Japanese post-rock band, and one of the best of the genre at that.

Dammit. No, I meant Evy Jane. I quoted ods, but for some reason it didnt post with the quote. weird.

ods..
06-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Woh wait what. I thought these guys were just a local Vancouver act getting lots of attention from the local press... but they are getting attention outside the city? Thats cool, good for them.

Dammit. No, I meant Evy Jane. I quoted ods, but for some reason it didnt post with the quote. weird.

Nice!!! That's cool to know. I want more tracks. The remixes are filthy as well.

This song/video....

http://vimeo.com/36162168

Miroir Noir
06-18-2012, 02:31 PM
DIIV Oshin stream (http://hypem.com/search/DIIV).

bballarl
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I just did something I haven't done in a long, long time (in fact, I can't even remember the last time): I listened to an album for the first time in physical form, rather than via a leak.

The album of choice was the new Tallest Man on Earth record; I searched for a leak but was finding it too time-consuming (e.g., longer than 10 minutes) to find a working link. I was going to buy it anyway, so I waited. Like people used to do. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by how excited I was to listen. And it was strange consuming a record this way. I've been so dependent on leaks for so long that I hardly remember this feeling.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was this album is, unsurprisingly, totally gorgeous. I like the new textures and new instruments. There's No Leaving Now is less immediate than The Wild Hunt and Sometimes the Blues... but will be equally rewarding with time. I'm a big fan on first listen.

IceyHotshot
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
The new Kyle Bobby Dunn album is some really beautiful drone.

lt.roast.a.botch
06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Holy shit. Evy Jane is fucking my mind up right now.

Wow no joke, some dark soulful shit coming out of Canada. I'm loving these tracks. Great find ods...

ods..
06-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Wow no joke, some dark soulful shit coming out of Canada. I'm loving these tracks. Great find ods...

I can't stop playing it!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I haven't listened to this whole album yet, but it's interesting enough to talk about here.

Does everybody remember Neneh Cherry? She's making a comeback with a jazz group called the Thing, and they've just released an album called The Cherry Dream in which they cover all manner of songs, including "Dream Baby Dream" by SUICIDE, which is actually a pretty awesome cover.
do9b9jpIyV8

Here's the whole tracklistng:

1. Cashback (Neneh Cherry)
2. Dream Baby Dream (Suicide)
3. Too Tough to Die (Martina Topley-Bird)
4. Sudden Movement (Mats Gustafsson)
5. Accordion (MF Doom)
6. Golden Heart (Don Cherry)
7. Dirt (The Stooges)
8. What Reason (Ornette Coleman)

I gotta check out the whole record still

bballarl
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
"Buffalo Stance" is my jam.

sames44
06-20-2012, 10:40 AM
fans of APTBS, check out Germany's The Lost Rivers debut full length Sin & Lostness. flowery review here (http://drownedinsound.com/releases/16862/reviews/4144638).

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Beat Connection, who put out what was probably my favorite ep last year, Surf Noir, have a full length out now! It's called The Palace Garden, and while it does have a similar beachy, summery feel that their decidedly chillwave previous efforts have had, I think they've really stepped up their game and now have a fully developed, rich sound. There are much bigger beat-driven, dancey songs on this one, but there's a big Calypso influence as well, that really adds to the summery vibe. This is a collection of songs meant for driving down a beach road on a warm summer night.

glrokRl-YWA
qLUu2_KJmHE

guedita
06-20-2012, 11:04 AM
I had no idea they were releasing an album! Excellent. I loved Surf Noir.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm just finishing it now and it seriously gets better and better with each song. Really fucking good from start to finish.

EDIT: and it's REALLY refreshing o have a follow-up full-length from a little electronic act like this that is not disappointing after a grand slam ep.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
1970s/80s synthpop group Ultravox have reunited and released Brilliant their first studio record since 1994. It's epic, melodramatic and huge-sounding. For people that aren't particularly fond of the genre, I could see it sounding a little goofy, but for those of us that love The Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Human League, et al, it's pretty stupendous. The production is wonderful, and sounds surprisingly contemporary, but without attempting to emulate current pop trends. The choruses are huge and the mixes are dynamic. Really good album!

umi9pNZdzsY
L_3WsmqwH-I

Pea
06-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Beat Connection, who put out what was probably my favorite ep last year, Surf Noir, have a full length out now! It's called The Palace Garden, and while it does have a similar beachy, summery feel that their decidedly chillwave previous efforts have had, I think they've really stepped up their game and now have a fully developed, rich sound. There are much bigger beat-driven, dancey songs on this one, but there's a big Calypso influence as well, that really adds to the summery vibe. This is a collection of songs meant for driving down a beach road on a warm summer night.

They were painfully average at Sasquatch, but I'll give this album a chance. They're playing the Capitol Hill Block Party next month in Seattle so I'll have to give them another shot if their recorded stuff is good.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-20-2012, 02:01 PM
I've never seen them live, but they're a young band whose recoded stuff is very synthesizer/sample based, so it could take them a while to work out the kinks in a live setting. I actually thought it was just one guy until i was reading about the full length the other day. You should definitely check out the records though!

Pea
06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Already enjoying the album quite a bit so far. I'm a sucker for this kind of summery pop stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

ocbruin84
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I'd love to see Ultravox at Chella. Think I was hoping for it a couple years ago when they first announced their reunion.

Poor Yorick
06-21-2012, 04:58 AM
The new Twin Shadow is fucking extraordinary. Huge tunes, front-to-back. Auto-induction into The Summer Albums Hall of Fame. It will be on numerous Year-End Lists, without a doubt.

Also: White Arrows' debut "Dry Land is not a Myth" is doing me completely right currently. Such killer, psychedelic grooves.
I cannot wait to see either of them at FYF Fest. Bring on the summer.

PM for copies of either or both!

rag and bone
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
After a couple listens, I'd like to mention that I think the new Crocodiles album is fantastic! Haven't listened to them a whole lot in the past but there's so many catchy tunes on this one. "Bubblegum Trash" has instantly become my summer anthem. If you're in search of some warm and fuzzy rock (and need a temporary break from Slaughterhouse) I highly recommend it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I've got to check it out again, but based on the first listen i gave it yesterday, i think the new Hot Chip might be my favorite of theirs! I was pretty surprised.

ocbruin84
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I had never heard Hot Chip until Monday morning tuning into KCRW for the FYF Fest announcement and they played "Ends of the Earth". Hooked.

lunatic core
06-22-2012, 02:57 AM
Fans of the lastest Four Tet and Caribu albums should check out Taragana Pyjarama - Tipped Bowls
I got it tonight and was really suprised with it.

ods..
06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Agreed, I love it.

Poor Yorick
06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Any chance either of you (ods, lunatic core) could PM me a copy of "Tipped Bowls"? I love all things Kompakt and Kieran. It'd be greatly appreciated.

SoulDischarge
06-22-2012, 07:22 PM
I added you to the group. You seem alright.

PotVsKtl
06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Elitist.

SoulDischarge
06-22-2012, 08:04 PM
At your insistence, I'll add theklein25.

theklein25
06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
that'd be cool lol

lt.roast.a.botch
06-23-2012, 05:51 AM
I just can't get over how good this alt-J album is.

spence
06-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Hate to ask but if anyone wants to PM me a copy of Tipped Bowls as well it would be greatly appreciated

lunatic core
06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
New Marconi Union is awesome. (For people that like chill ambient music, like Biosphere)

If anybody has a link for the bonus album (Weightless Ambient Transmissions VOL 2) can you hook me up? I got it off Amazon before I knew they had a deal going on the official site.

ods..
06-25-2012, 01:42 AM
I really like the new Twin Shadow despite several moments where the cheese factor took away from the tunes. Some of it is so catchy though, it's impossible to dislike. After a few more plays I'm sure I'll love all of it.

Tanlines was whatever; I didn't dig it on first listen.

Been playing Nzca/lines out thanks to Son of Hal, seriously recommend. These guys need to play Gobi during the day.

Also... JMSN - Priscilla, people. I love this album. Fans of the Weeknd, Justin Timberlake, David Lynch, and everything groovy; check out this record people.

TallGuyCM
06-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Tanlines was whatever; I didn't dig it on first listen.

Yeah. It's a cool album, but nothing to get overly excited about.

Fourthisto
06-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Hate to ask but if anyone wants to PM me a copy of Tipped Bowls as well it would be greatly appreciated

Same here, I haven't found a decent taste of this anywhere...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Holy moly, Light Asylum's s/t is awesome! It really sounds like early EBM, (think Nitzer Ebb) and has great grooves and synth lines. The female singer is a beast, great range and a nasty growl. This is awesomely dark dance music.

YPhoE9yz-nI

cutterbutter
06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
New album from The Henry Clay People out today! One of my local favorites and really nice guys. They were playing a bunch of this opening up for Motion City Soundtrack two weeks ago and it sounded great.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/album/covers/twenty-five-for-the-rest-of-our-lives.jpg

ocbruin84
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
I listened to the album the other day and I wasn't a huge fan of it. I read their recent CoS interview in which Joey said they don't want to come off "honky-tonk" but I miss the keys. My favorite record of theirs is For Cheap or For Free. Great sound. Would have loved to see them at Chella but I've seen them around. I went to high school with most of the band and their old pop-punk band was the coolest thing to me when I was 15.

Ross1492
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Holy moly, Light Asylum's s/t is awesome! It really sounds like early EBM, (think Nitzer Ebb) and has great grooves and synth lines. The female singer is a beast, great range and a nasty growl. This is awesomely dark dance music.

YPhoE9yz-nI

Dig the album. Love her voice.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm on my fourth listen to it right now. it's hypnotic. And yeah, she's a fantastic vocalist. I imagine this could be a really fun live show.

MissingPerson
06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
My first impression of Twin Shadow's Confess was awesome, but it's not a steady grower like Forget and the first two songs are the only ones that are really keeping hold of me so far.

FEELS
06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Not much of a departure from Beach Fossils.. but DIIV's Oshin is really good. Perfect summer jams

ods..
06-26-2012, 05:27 PM
DIIVs newest is great. Listened to it twice already today.

But the real winner for today is Daughn Gibsons album. Fucking incredible. I love it. So surprising.

cutterbutter
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
New Dirty Projectors is AWE-some. Get on it everyone.

GeezrRckr
06-26-2012, 08:10 PM
With the exception of "Doused" (which even loses some steam towards the end; beginning is great), that DIIV is, for the most part, like 3 different songs only played in a different key. One of the most same-samey albums of the year, imo.

Happy to hear the early reports of the new DPz being solid. Hoping to give that a listen soon.

Gribbz
06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm really enjoying the new Dirty Projectors. Especially the track "Gun Has No Trigger." So good.

lt.roast.a.botch
06-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I dig the old school r&b sounding R. Kelly in his new album and last but R. Kelly needs to make it rain with his old dirty self

Spooks
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Goddamn hahaha :lool Does this guy own a t-shirt? Kruetz & Klein, your first thought?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWzJhkrZm5Y&feature=player_embedded

PotVsKtl
06-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Looks like the kind of thing weirdos do in their spare time. Expectations: met.

TallGuyCM
06-27-2012, 01:39 AM
With the exception of "Doused" (which even loses some steam towards the end; beginning is great), that DIIV is, for the most part, like 3 different songs only played in a different key. One of the most same-samey albums of the year, imo.

I enjoyed it a decent amount, but yeah.

sonofhal
06-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Not much of a departure from Beach Fossils.. but DIIV's Oshin is really good. Perfect summer jams

He's not in Beach Fossils. He was a touring guitarist with them.

FEELS
06-27-2012, 08:04 AM
He's not in Beach Fossils. He was a touring guitarist with them.

Oh, my bad.

And I feel the same way towards Oshin as I do with Real Estate's stuff. Sure, it's the same shtick throughout the album(s) but they pull that shtick off really well

FEELS
06-27-2012, 08:08 AM
And after one listen of the new Dirty Projectors, wow, already fighting for the top spot of 2012 (behind Fiona). The instrumentation and songwriting throughout the album is just beautiful. Even better than Bitte Orca imo

GeezrRckr
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah, digging it as well. Really love "Impregnable Question"...such a nice love song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2FG34Tj64

But, the dearth of female vocals/harmonies will prevent this one from topping Bitte Orca, I think. Not sure if Angel departed because she didn't like this direction, or if it was the other way around, but her absence is felt. Still, thank god for this album. 2012 has been a washout with all the 90's retread rock.

guedita
06-27-2012, 09:09 AM

This album is fantastic. Certainly one of the better ones I've listened to this year.

Sushov23
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeah, digging it as well. Really love "Impregnable Question"...such a nice love song.

But, the dearth of female vocals/harmonies will prevent this one from topping Bitte Orca, I think. Not sure if Angel departed because she didn't like this direction, or if it was the other way around, but her absence is felt. Still, thank god for this album. 2012 has been a washout with all the 90's retread rock.

I'm actually very happy about the lack of female vocals. I dislike Amber's voice so much, I've talked about it at length with boardies before. I do miss Angel though, if she was still in the band I'm sure I would have an issue as well.

Gribbz
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM

I can't tell honestly (especially with tracks like "The Socialites"). Then again, I think you're way more into Dirty Projectors than I am. Regardless, I gave Swing Lo Magellan another listen this morning and it really is beautiful. Hopefully they've gotten better live (I saw them a couple years ago and they were pretty disappointing). Hopefully it was just an off night.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Fuck, the new Twin Shadow album is amazing. I love the 80s so much.

FEELS
06-27-2012, 11:47 AM
I can't tell honestly (especially with tracks like "The Socialites"). Then again, I think you're way more into Dirty Projectors than I am. Regardless, I gave Swing Lo Magellan another listen this morning and it really is beautiful. Hopefully they've gotten better live (I saw them a couple years ago and they were pretty disappointing). Hopefully it was just an off night.

This is how I feel as well

FEELS
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2FG34Tj64

Yes! Possibly my fav from the album

amyzzz
06-27-2012, 12:36 PM
My first impression of Twin Shadow's Confess was awesome, but it's not a steady grower like Forget and the first two songs are the only ones that are really keeping hold of me so far.I'm listening to Forget, and I don't like it on first listen. If you're saying it's a grower, I guess I will keep trying. Incredibly cheesy.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I love the cheese!

The backup singing in "Golden light" reminds me so much of the chorus from Gerard Mcmann's "Cry little Sister," which makes me very happy.
7fFo-WZsm5Q

PotVsKtl
06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Is that the fucking Lost Boys theme. Yes, yes it is.

MissingPerson
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
The slideshow on that video is so epic.

Gribbz
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I wonder if sexy sax man ever made a record.

PotVsKtl
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
I've got your old ID and you're all dressed up like The Cure.

lt.roast.a.botch
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
My first impression of Twin Shadow's Confess was awesome, but it's not a steady grower like Forget and the first two songs are the only ones that are really keeping hold of me so far.

I am in this camp with the album. I liked it quite a bit on first listen but less and less on subsequent listens. I think I'll wait a good amount of time before listening to it again and see if anything changes.

nosurprises12
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
I think the problem with the new Twin Shadow is that it's really front-loaded; with the exception of "When the Movie's Over," it really goes downhill after "The One." There are some great songs on it, though, and I can't wait to hear how they sound at FYF.

GeezrRckr
06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IpSah.jpg

IceyHotshot
06-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I think people who fail to find tons of stuff to like from any year are either not looking properly or have exceptionally narrow taste.

PotVsKtl
06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
I decided to believe Longstreth is explaining his profession in pantomime to a confused Austrian.

nicholasyames
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
i listened to a bunch of new stuff today that i just downloaded:

purity ring - shrines i can't really say it's all that "new" considering their abundant single collection leading up to their debut in addition to being very nice and cozy up front enjoying the shit out of their sasquatch set. all the same, it was the best album i spun for the first time today out of a bunch. very good, many songs comparable to the enjoyability of 'lofticries' and 'belispeak' and i really dig 'fineshrine.' excited to see the p4k review to be honest

ty segall band - slaughterhouse very garage but also very good. i'm kinda new to punk/garage rock. and by new i mean i've really only listened to some cloud nothings and japandroids and i don't even know if they qualify. but i like it.

echo lake - wild peace so while on a download spree last night i came across this band's pitchfork review. a 6.4 or something stupid like that. but i read the first paragraph and it made me realize i would probably like this band. an album listen later i think i definitely will. wether you're a fan of beach houses' repetitive albums, you can't deny its not good, and this reminds me of beach house with more guitar and less of the cute stuff.

civil twlight - holy weather meh. thats all.

waiting on diiv for a sunny day... damn rain.

I'm excited for the new fiona apple? i don't know you tell me.

thanks for listening.

bmack86
06-27-2012, 06:11 PM
You should listen to the new Fiona. It's fantastic.

bballarl
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't understand the love for Diiv. Or the comparisons to Ride. There is nothing special about this band.

ods..
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
This album is fantastic. Certainly one of the better ones I've listened to this year.

YES. Can't stop playing it, can't wait for the vinyl to get here.

Also can't stop playing Future's album... Definitely not for everyone lol.

Dirty Projectors sounds amazing though. I really like it, we'll see how it holds up on multiple listens. The harmonies are gorgeous.

TallGuyCM
06-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Dear Dave Longstreth,

I'm sorry that I ever doubted you.

Sincerely,

TallGuyCM

Larry Farnsworth
06-28-2012, 07:33 AM
The fact that you people aren't talking about Joey Bada$$ makes me hate you all just a little bit.

Great, great hip-hop record.

ods..
06-28-2012, 10:16 AM
The fact that you people aren't talking about Joey Bada$$ makes me hate you all just a little bit.

Great, great hip-hop record.

Ehhh I didn't love it on the first time thru. But I'll check it again I guess. It seemed like something I'd love, but didn't connect with me.

Spooks
06-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Mike Patton's Tomahawk is back!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctEh2s9wcHE&feature=player_embedded

ps Get ready for this as well...

A new Daft Punk track could be released in July, according to reports.

French magazine Tsugi have claimed that a track - titled 'Renoma Street' after a Parisian café - will be released on July 21.

bmack86
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
False.

Alchemy
06-28-2012, 01:27 PM
This new Dirty Projectors is in a close race with Fiona Apple for me. "Maybe That Was It" is so amazing.

Spooks
06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
False.

Ok, a bit of news for everyone, including Pitchfork.
Daft Punk and french magazine Tsugi chief editor Pat Bardot are known to be friends. The Daft actually came unmasked backstage at the opening of the new Tsugi office which is also a club/venue.

Tsugi never actually stated that the Daft would release anything on 12/07/21. In fact, Pat Bardot has been teasing on his Twitter about some big news in the next issue, which is supposed to be released on... yeah you guessed it. July 21.
There goes the rumor.

So sit tight everyone, because there are actually legitimate reasons to think the Daft are working on something new, with legends as mentioned in the article.

Pitchfork, you're probably very well informed. But try at least to be fair to your collaborators, even if they don't speak the same language, alright?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
This is why this thread is better suited to talking about albums that are actually out.

PotVsKtl
06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
If only the human being who posts on the Coachella Message board under the pseudonym "Spooks" would physically perish and die and turn into a dead human being.

Spooks
06-28-2012, 04:50 PM
If only the human being who posts on the Coachella Message board under the pseudonym "Spooks" would physically perish and die and turn into a dead human being.

I love when you post a response anonymously and play it off like you are someone else who actually gives a turd. :rotfl

You are so brave when sitting behind a computer screen posting a load of premeditated bullshit! You have access to CL, why don't you practice what you preach? Answer some of the ads. Clearly, you should get out more. But perhaps the real world is a little too challenging for you eh?

Absolutely NOTHING will make you miserable fuck happy, will it?

Go die!

ps You must be a tone deaf homoerotic dude as well since you enjoy death grips!

nicholasyames
06-28-2012, 04:58 PM
yeah i'm waiting for my friend to dropbox me the fiona apple. of course he says its awesome and i see it got like a 9.0 or something and he takes forever to do it.

i listened to DIIV today and I'm already a huge fan of 'how long have you known?' but it seemed pretty good, definitely something i'm going to dig in the future. i like the description of dream-pop associated with it a lot more than just indie rock. let me explain: whereas beach fossils (of which zachary smith of DIIV is lead guitarist) is associated more with indie rock, DIIV i feel is dream-pop. i know i mentioned beach house in my last post but a lot of people complain about how their records all sound the same and dream pop can sometimes be like that. but i feel like this album might break the barrier allowing the hooky guitar riffs that these indie rock guys can come up with to enter the realm of the dream pop genre. if you follow me. probably not.

twin shadow seemed pretty good. again, i already dug 'five minutes', and i liked what i heard today.

bmack86
06-28-2012, 05:15 PM
I love when you post a response anonymously and play it off like you are someone else who actually gives a turd. :rotfl

You are so brave when sitting behind a computer screen posting a load of premeditated bullshit! You have access to CL, why don't you practice what you preach? Answer some of the ads. Clearly, you should get out more. But perhaps the real world is a little too challenging for you eh?

Absolutely NOTHING will make you miserable fuck happy, will it?

Go die!

ps You must be a tone deaf homoerotic dude as well since you enjoy death grips!

Man, maybe my reading comprehension skills are going way down, but I can't really figure most of this out. Are you telling Pot to go on Craigslist and kill some people? Or should he die? Or rolling laughing face?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545020_411769722198457_1021685806_n.jpg

nosurprises12
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545020_411769722198457_1021685806_n.jpg

I'm quite happy to have finished my gulp of water before seeing this, as I let out a mighty laugh.

TallGuyCM
06-28-2012, 11:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IpSah.jpg

The odd thing that I realized about this is that Longstreth is left-handed, and plays his guitar as so.

:confused:

Spooks
06-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Loving this new single from Little Dragon....

http://www.indieshuffle.com/little-dragon-sunshine/

Spooks
06-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Digging this new tune!

“I guess on this record, I wasn’t as worried if we could play the songs live. [On] the other two records [2007's Beyond and 2009's Farm], I was thinking of it being more songs that we could play live and tour more. I guess that’s what’s kind of different about this album: I just did what I felt would sound good,” tells Mascis.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-premiere-dinosaur-jr-watch-the-corners-20120629

PotVsKtl
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Fuck. Off.

Spooks
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Fuck. Off.

Just looked at your profile for the first time haha :puke

InF3cT10uZ - 11-16-2010 12:02 PM
do u like touching your asshole?

GeezrRckr - 09-14-2010 12:30 PM
where are you asshole?

gaypalmsprings - 08-18-2010 08:36 PM
Do you have to be an asshole?

djandrews25 - 07-23-2009 10:02 AM
lol you should take that high horse out of your asshole one of these days.

amyzzz
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Fuck. Off.Thank you.

TallGuyCM
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Am I the only one who pictures Spooks looking like that really annoying guy from 3rd Rock from the Sun?

http://i2.listal.com/image/1955684/400full.jpg

bmack86
06-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I pictured that sorta face but with really long hair.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hOImVOiGPo8/S3IiQ3w52AI/AAAAAAAAA_c/NAwVA_5An1A/s400/americanmovie1.jpg

IceyHotshot
06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
My visualization of Spooks is just a rolly smiley next to some unfunny, potentially copy/pasted text.

Gribbz
06-29-2012, 01:45 PM
I picture him as Jason Schwartzman's character in Slackers.

Miroir Noir
06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Spooks is just a content aggregation and advertising bot created as a joint project by Pitchfork, Brooklyn Vegan, W.A.S.T.E., Apple Computer, Starbucks, Dow Chemical, and the New York Tourism Board.

IceyHotshot
07-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I just found out that Oren Ambarchi, Keiji Haino, and Stephen O'Malley released a record this year called Nazoranai. It's blowing my mind. Also, both Ambarchi and Sunn O))) will be playing sets at Hopscotch Music Fest... the possibilities :)

bmack86
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Ambarchi was part of Sunn O)))s band the last time they toured the US. As was Attila Csihar from Mayhem.

wmgaretjax
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
I wasn't keen on the Nazoranai album on first pass. I feel like Ideologic Organ (O'Malley's Editions Mego imprint) really nails it sometimes (Mats Lindstrom and Akos Rozman for this year for sure)... but Haino really hasn't been doing much for me lately.

ods..
07-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Just listened to a few new things:

d'Eon - LP. Weird, wild melting-pot of tripped out keyboards, dnb/juke beats, and semi-Phil-Collins-esque vocals. I really loved it, but the vocals at some points were a bit much. Overall I can definitely see this record growing on me, especially the RnB elements... relistening to some favorite tracks now. Very clean.

Dean Blunt & Inga Copeland - Black is Beautiful. After getting through that grating high pitched drone of the first track, I went on to enjoy this record way more than expected. There were a few points where the tunes dragged and I found myself bored, but the second half of the record is so excellent. I love the vocals, wish there were more. Going to have to listen again before I can decide how much I like the album.

Lute - West1996. A rap mixtape that could have fallen right out of the 90s; well almost. There are undoubtably a few moments of accidental genius in these tunes, specifically the first half. But somewhere along the line the beat selection falls flat for me, and the rhymes stale. I'd like to see a real album from this dude though, with his own beats he might shine.

Still listening to Oddisee - People Hear What They See, and still haven't made it thru Joey Bada$$ - 1999. They both are really good from what I've heard though.

nosurprises12
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I have been meaning to check out Black is Beautiful for a while now, especially since it wound up on so many mid-year lists.

Some others I've really been enjoying lately: Violens' True, Laurel Halo's Quarantine, Kindness' World, You Need a Change of Mind, and Traxman's Mind of Traxman. I've also really fallen for White Fence's Family Perfume Vol. 1 and 2; if you're a fan of early Pink Floyd, the more "experimental" Beatles tracks, and/or the Olivia Tremor Control/Elephant 6 Collective, make sure to give it a listen.

Finally, I know talking about unreleased albums in this thread is a bit of a faux pas, but since 6 of the 8 tracks have already been put out I think it's ok to start talking about how awesome the new Four Tet album Pink is going to be. "Locked" and "Pyramid" (both from his excellent 2011 Fabric mix), "Jupiters" and "Ocaras" (from his most recently-released 12"), "Pinnacles" (from a 12" split he did with Daphni/Caribu last year), and "128 Harps" (another 12" which was released in January of this year) are all fantastic songs, although I wonder how they will all flow together when sequenced for the release itself.

IceyHotshot
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
When is the Four Tet album scheduled to come out? I've held out on listening to anything besides Locked and Pyramid.

lt.roast.a.botch
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I believe sometime in August.

edit: august 20

nosurprises12
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I believe it's August 20; here are the previously released tracks, in case others haven't heard them:

5ghoFJcLCYA
cDEVk0cTJyI
VBArvY3Yx0k
MhZVfNByp1s
u9wvRdkmGQk
WyQVPNo_X7Y

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Just listened to a few new things:

d'Eon - LP. Weird, wild melting-pot of tripped out keyboards, dnb/juke beats, and semi-Phil-Collins-esque vocals. I really loved it, but the vocals at some points were a bit much. Overall I can definitely see this record growing on me, especially the RnB elements... relistening to some favorite tracks now. Very clean.

Ooh, interesting, i didn't know they had a full length! I really liked their half of the Darkbloom split with Grimes last year, much moreso than the Grimes half, actually.

Gribbz
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I believe sometime in August.

edit: august 20

Awesome. I had no idea a new album was in the works. Also, "Locked" is my jam.

IceyHotshot
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Locked was my favorite moment of FYF last year.