PDA

View Full Version : I love it when you call me Coa-Chel...La

yeahfontaine
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
You know that moment when you're watching an artist you love and you think it couldn't get any better and then those momentous words come out of his or her mouth, calling us, the audience, the collective moniker of Coachella? You're no longer Fontaine or Jeff or Josaphat. You're Coachella, along with hundreds or thousands of other people. Tell us about those times.

My favorite time was in '10 when Beth Ditto's first words to us were "Hello Coachella!" from backstage. We couldn't even see her yet and that awesome voice rang out, letting us know we were now all one thing and that one thing was our beloved Coachella and we were all about to witness the same amazing show as one collective. Magic.

Premium Roast
12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
no, not really

Orphan
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I like that you have placed some importance around this act, but I always see it as the worst kind of pandering. One "How you feeling, COACHELLA?!?" is OK I guess, but I get a little nausea when they start rolling out "We're so honored to Coachella this Coachella festival, it's really a Coachella experience for us, Coachellians!"

Mugwog
12-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Toteschella brah

Vic Viper
12-19-2011, 09:07 PM
no usually i see it as a cheap gimmick to get the crowd engaged.

however when julian from presets said "there's 30 seconds of coachella left for us" at the end of sunday and added the emphasis to "my people" to indicate us the crowd and gave a final "cooooachellaaaa!" as they went into the last chorus of the song...

fucking chills.

iwaslike
12-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Nobody says Coachella quite like Perry Ferrel.

fetuspiniata
12-20-2011, 10:05 AM

however when julian from presets said "there's 30 seconds of coachella left for us" at the end of sunday and added the emphasis to "my people" to indicate us the crowd and gave a final "cooooachellaaaa!" as they went into the last chorus of the song...

fucking chills.

THIS

Fourthisto
12-20-2011, 10:18 AM

fucking chills.
Hell yes that was a great moment. Julian knows how to make the crowd eat out of his hand like he's made out of tasty pudding.

ThatGirl
12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
I have to admit I loved it when Robyn called it out, because she seemed to have true passion and was overwhelmed by the crowd when she said it. That was the only time I remember hearing it during the whole weekend so it did stand out for me.

g1zzz
12-20-2011, 11:02 AM

fucking chills.

I just got the chills again. I fucking love it.

algunz
12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
It is a fun word to yell. I do it randomly in the streets through out the year. It's quite freeing.

rjadams90
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
It was pretty rad when Jova did it.

greghead
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM

fucking chills.

Oh man, yes. Thinking back to that moment may or may not just have hardened my nipples.

Gribbz
12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Perfect way to end the weekend.

Timestretch
12-20-2011, 01:51 PM

fucking chills.

His voice and those words go through my head every time I listen to My People since that moment.

insbordnat
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
It was pretty rad when Jova did it.

Who the fuck is Jova? You mean Hova?

kananilove
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
i love being a part of the coachella cult

late to the house
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM

fucking chills.

That was a perfect way to tie up the end of the festival.

GuyInTucson
01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I hate the title of this thread.

Boourns
01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Co-uh-chella

M Sparks
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Nobody mentioned Prince? (Other than the allusion in the title?)

Mr.Trent
01-06-2012, 04:36 AM
Yelle with her french accent coo-sche-llá

yeahfontaine
01-06-2012, 08:29 AM
I hate the title of this thread.

Do you really? I waited to post it for literally 3 months because I thought it was so good and wanted more people to be able to respond to my awesome thread. You get that it's a play on "I love it when you call me Big Poppa," right?

Hurt feelings.

Edit: Yeah, I guess the "a" fucked it up and made it sound like Sir Paul's pronunciation, like Co-uh-chella. But I couldn't figure out anywhere else to put the goddamn letter because then I would've spelled 'coachella' wrong. C'est la vie.

ENluv12
01-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Do you really? I waited to post it for literally 3 months because I thought it was so good and wanted more people to be able to respond to my awesome thread. You get that it's a play on "I love it when you call me Big Poppa," right?

Hurt feelings.

Edit: Yeah, I guess the "a" fucked it up and made it sound like Sir Paul's pronunciation, like Co-uh-chella. But I couldn't figure out anywhere else to put the goddamn letter because then I would've spelled 'coachella' wrong. C'est la vie.

haha that is something I would do.

Zero23
01-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I didn't see Steve Angello's set in 2011 but I have a feeling he completely killed any "magic" that these moments can have.

"WHAT'S UP COACHELLA, MY NAME IS STEVE ANGELLO FROM THE SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA, MAKE SOME FUCKING NOISEEEEEEEE"