PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Pre-2011 Water System

colemathis
12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Personally I would much rather have to buy a $10 Coachella water bottle and get free cool, bottled water from an organized tent w/ a line all weekend. I have only been to Coachella in 2010 and 2011 so I'm no expert but I know that the watering holes they had in 2011 were far inferior to the system they used in 2010. Having people randomly crowding around huge tanks that are sitting in the sun was a waste in 2011, even if you could fill up for free.

I think this is one thing people can agree on

Drewski27
12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
you should be more like Bear Grylls, than there are no lines necissary!

gbgbgb
12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
get the water things edc had. boom fixed.

guedita
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
The water system this year was fantastic; there was never more than a 3 minute wait at the one by the Pure Filth Dome. Be better at festivaling.

shoegazer76
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
get the water things edc had. boom fixed.

Yup and the peeps working the watering stations got tipped by me every time I went to get a refill. They just need to be vigilant about not spreading germs by inserting the nozzle into everybody's bottles.

shoegazer76
12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Although I think I used free public water once in 6 years of attending Coachella so I really could care less. If water is gonna be $5 a bottle like at EDC then I will gladly use the free watering system.

frizzlefry
12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Right, so what you're saying is that due to your problems with the water systems last year that Coldplay is actually a lock for this year?

frizzlefry
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
The water system this year was fantastic; there was never more than a 3 minute wait at the one by the Pure Filth Dome. Be better at festivaling.

Agreed, if they do anything different about the refilling tanks this year I'll be pissed.

nosurprises12
12-08-2011, 03:42 PM

This; I never waited more than a minute at this one all weekend.

tyles
12-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I had no problem with the watering system this past year. It was less messy, and usually, people were pretty patient in line there.

Also, my gf and I made less trips by using our Coachella 2010 bottles AND two empty bottled waters, so we had to make less trips for hydration.

Be better at festivaling.

This.

tessalasset
12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
you should be more like Bear Grylls, than there are no lines necissary!

4U_xmfSwYSw

Zero23
12-08-2011, 05:28 PM
4U_xmfSwYSw

It's warm, it's salty, but hey, at least he has a quarter bottle left for later.

Drewski27
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Right, so what you're saying is that due to your problems with the water systems last year that Coldplay is actually a lock for this year?

but think of the backlash. who will share the headlining spot with them?

Fig Neutron
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
2010 water situation wasn't good, but last year worked fine

Drewski27
12-08-2011, 06:24 PM
how about everyone stops being a pussy and just drinks beer all day long?

orangejulius
12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
how about everyone stops being a pussy and just drinks beer all day long?

Easier said than done when they force you to stay in the kiddie gate with your beer. And only Heineken pisswater to drink. Lolla had a biergarten with nice variety, and sold bottles of wine.

That gate was the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed at a major festival. Lolla and Roo didn't do it last year. Is that the way Coachella is every year? 2011 was my first.

I'm fine with the water situation if it's the same as last year. Only Lolla did it better. Roo was a near disaster. Random stations with foul water, lines that forced 10+ minute waits.

Trick Loves The Kids
12-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah you always have to stay in the beer garden with your beers... which is silly. Is that something the city mandates or what? There are lots of festivals that allow you to go everywhere with your booze.

Drewski27
12-08-2011, 07:28 PM
ok beer and lemonade. water isnt that important, amirite?

Boourns
12-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I miss drinking $2 beers at asbury park.

citizenerased
12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
OP's right, the 2010 system was so much better.

andrew86
12-08-2011, 08:16 PM
My only issue with water this year was the proximity to the portapotties.

SONR801
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
help clean up the empty water bottles and do the 10 for 1 at the recycling booth. It took me 3 mins to collect around 20 empty water bottles anytime I needed a drink & never had to wait more than 10 mins to get fresh cold water. You bunch of lazy fucks

PlayaDelWes
12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
After seeing the mass of empty beer cups on the ground at other festivals, I'm glad the mess is limited to the gardens on the polo fields.

Neighborhood Creep
12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
help clean up the empty water bottles and do the 10 for 1 at the recycling booth. It took me 3 mins to collect around 20 empty water bottles anytime I needed a drink & never had to wait more than 10 mins to get fresh cold water. You bunch of lazy fucks

13 minutes = 1/4 of a lot of good sets during the day. I'll gladly spend 2 bucks and not miss something especially if I am dropping over 1,000 to make Coachella happen

orangejulius
12-08-2011, 08:42 PM
After seeing the mass of empty beer cups on the ground at other festivals, I'm glad the mess is limited to the gardens on the polo fields.

The ground is littered with all types of trash, not just beer cups. The worst I've ever seen was 2009 Lollapalooza. I've never seen so much trash outside a dump. 2010 and 2011 was much better.

Coachella Sunday night last year wasn't much better. It seems that Californians have a nasty problem with cigarettes. Everywhere I looked, there were cigarette butts.

13 minutes = 1/4 of a lot of good sets during the day. I'll gladly spend 2 bucks and not miss something especially if I am dropping over 1,000 to make Coachella happen

Hell, I'm spending over $1500 this year after ticket, flight, hotel, rental car and shuttle pass. It's worth it though. Coachella was my favorite festival last year from a purely musical standpoint.

Alchemy
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm glad they do the beer garden at Coachella. I've been to other festivals and shows, where people are spilling their beer everywhere because they're trying to balance cups over to their friends. I also imagine that less inconvenience would mean more drunk people, and I'd hate for somebody's drunkenness/vomit to ruin the vibe during a great set. I think it's a fair sacrifice. It's Heineken anyway.

Neighborhood Creep
12-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Hell, I'm spending over $1500 this year after ticket, flight, hotel, rental car and shuttle pass. It's worth it though. Coachella was my favorite festival last year from a purely musical standpoint.

I know it's worth it, that's why I go. What I was saying was that I wouldn't spend time picking up bottles to save 2 dollars when I am spending as much as I am.

guedita
12-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Seriously. It's already a depressing mess of idiot douche bags littering the field with non-beer cup related garbage, despite the numerous waste stations.

GuyInTucson
12-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I have only been to Coachella in 2010 and 2011 so I'm no expert but I know that the watering holes they had in 2011 were far inferior to the system they used in 2010.

Wrong.

Gribbz
12-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm glad they do the beer garden at Coachella. I've been to other festivals and shows, where people are spilling their beer everywhere because they're trying to balance cups over to their friends. I also imagine that less inconvenience would mean more drunk people, and I'd hate for somebody's drunkenness/vomit to ruin the vibe during a great set. I think it's a fair sacrifice. It's Heineken anyway.

Ding ding ding.

GuyInTucson
12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Easier said than done when they force you to stay in the kiddie gate with your beer. And only Heineken pisswater to drink. Lolla had a biergarten with nice variety, and sold bottles of wine.

That gate was the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed at a major festival. Lolla and Roo didn't do it last year. Is that the way Coachella is every year? 2011 was my first.

I'm fine with the water situation if it's the same as last year. Only Lolla did it better. Roo was a near disaster. Random stations with foul water, lines that forced 10+ minute waits.

You do realize that there was Newcastle served in 2011 as well, right? Not to mention the small bar in the beer gardens (in the vacinity of the heineken Dome I believe) that had much more variety.

NachoCat
12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
I cant tell you how many times I have almost rolled my ankle stepping on a water bottle while in dance mode.

guedita
12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Keep your feet planted and pump pump pump.

tigermilkboy
12-09-2011, 08:47 AM
I prefer paying $5 for water at festivals. Gives you something to vent about. Festivals aren't any fun if you can't complain about water, food, potties or crowds.

insbordnat
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I cant tell you how many times I have almost rolled my ankle stepping on a water bottle while in dance mode.

That's because you dance so fast. Also I don't believe the Melbourne Shuffle is in style anymore.

Coach Bombay
12-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I disagree, 2011 was a better system than 2010. However, like what someone else already said, EDC blew them both out of the...water. I would fully endorse Coachella implementing that refill system.

To everyone defending the beer garden gates, you all suck. I might even go out on a limb and say the extra trash around the field would be worth it. I didn't think anything of it before, until I went to Outside Lands this year. There was just something fucking perfect about watching Fogerty with a full beer in hand..

with_cheese
12-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I drank plenty of beer at the festival this year and can still say I'm glad they do the beer garden. The lack of drunk douche bags was quite noticeable compared to other music festivals.

NachoCat
12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/files/2010/01/vince-vaughn-wedding-crashers-3-295x300.jpg

You and I both know I'm a phenomenal dancer

tyles
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
The beer garden/gate thing is something enforced by the city of Indio, much like the curfew. It's really a microscopic price to pay for our favorite festival. If you have a problem with it, you might want to take it up with Indio. Personally, I find it a blessing in disguise, as detailed in some of the posts others have made.

Some drunk near-200 lbs. idiot nearly feel on my gf and barfed a lot before the Killers in 2009, so clearly even with the garden area, a drunk moron can come close to ruining your otherwise magical Coachella experience.

heart cooks brain
12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
a couple of my friends refuse to go to coachella because of the beer gardens.

tyles
12-09-2011, 12:18 PM

I have heard some lame reasons for not going to Coachella, but this easily takes the cake.

Highly Refined Pirate
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Its been fine the past two years, stop QQing.

captncrzy
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
The beer garden/gate thing is something enforced by the city of Indio, much like the curfew.

This is correct;

Your friends are the douchebags that we would rather not have there then-the ones that go to drink all day and be assholes.

Also, water is only $2 a bottle (or free if you are able to bend over and pick ten up off the ground). Get better jobs.

heart cooks brain
12-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I have heard some lame reasons for not going to Coachella, but this easily takes the cake.
yeah, they're pussies.

Highly Refined Pirate
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
You and I both know I'm a phenomenal dancer

Now im all over his radar, stupid!

DeadSkin
12-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Water should be free, its a natural resource. That is why I was "cheating" and picking the plastic bottles out of the trash. Then turning them around for a fresh bottle. I guess you were supposed to pick them up off the ground. Fuck that though, i was thirsty. I thought that Coachella wanted to do something different than Woodstock 99 that's why they offered the water for free in the first place.

tyles
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Water should be free, its a natural resource. That is why I was "cheating" and picking the plastic bottles out of the trash. Then turning them around for a fresh bottle. I guess you were supposed to pick them up off the ground. Fuck that though, i was thirsty. I thought that Coachella wanted to do something different than Woodstock 99 that's why they offered the water for free in the first place.

$4 to $8 for water in 1999, based on value of the US dollar then = way overpriced

$2 for a bottle of water in 2011, based on the current US dollar = a bargin comparitively.

Also, water is free if you bring your own non-glass, non-metal container. To reiterate a point, be better at Festivaling.

moxie990
12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Last year was my first year, so I can't compare it to what Coachella was like previously, but I definitely didn't have a problem with the beer gardens. Of course, if your only goal was just to black out each day, then it would have sucked being that far away from the music ... but I would hope you aren't dropping all that $$ just to black out when you could do that at home with a bottle of Popov for $11.

It was actually enjoyable to me to have the beer gardens away from everything else. Going to get a beer became as enjoyable as the rest of the fest because we were able to get nice cold beers and get out of the sun for a while! I was able to do some "outside the fences" drinking though, and it was definitely a highlight. Randomly met two kids from Mexico City who had snuck in some 4lokos (yes, the beverage of choice sucked, but it was an awesome experience) and they shared them with me and my friends. We just sat on the grass outside the outdoor, sharing a j with them and sharing their booze. Just amazing! But, if that was the norm, then the entire fest would look like the beer gardens did, and that would suck!

As for $2 waters ... that's crazy if you think that's too expensive!! $2 is definitely worth it for me to not have to go Costanza on a bunch of water bottles already in the trash (IT WAS ON TOP!!!!) just to get one bottle for free. I mean, it's only two bucks!! c'mon!!

tigermilkboy
12-09-2011, 01:57 PM
As long as water stations are hygienic and safe to drink, I don't care how they do it.

Timestretch
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
no line and 10 second refills. Plus a dude with a hawk and kitty kat on his back.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10qi1wh.jpg

SONR801
12-09-2011, 04:24 PM

I didnt miss a minute of anyone i wanted to watch perform, my buddy and i would just pick up bottles right after a performance and got enough free water to last us for a few hours....we would each normally pick up 3 for free and were set. We however didnt come to the fest this year with a lot of money so the recycling system really helped out with saving cash for some souvenirs and dinner.

unit300021
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM

This spot was great, the only one I used all weekend and only once was there a line to it and it was only 2 people deep. Just seemed like no one wanted to use this one.

frizzlefry
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
The ONLY problem I had with the refillable program was on Saturday night where some fucking moronic security guard wouldn't let me bring in my empty gallon jug, for no reason.

M Sparks
12-09-2011, 11:36 PM
You do realize that there was Newcastle served in 2011 as well, right?

Crap, you just reminded me that I have to budget for beer this year. I usually save my drinking for the campground.

I still don't understand people who want to hang around the beer garden all day, but it's nice to take a break if there's something drinkable.

colemathis
12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
no line and 10 second refills. Plus a dude with a hawk and kitty kat on his back.

http://i42.tinypic.com/10qi1wh.jpg

Is this EDC? This system seems ideal.

Stickjohn
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
So assume the $5 mentioned earlier was for the blue bottle and then refills were free? Or why do you need staff to fill water bottles?

Timestretch
12-10-2011, 09:27 PM
It's EDC and you did not have to buy the blue bottle. I used a plastic bottle and even a beer can at one point. The staff was there just to be PLUR and stuff.

HumanRobot74x
12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Coachella does not need any improvement to the current water systems. A manned station is just overkill and the 2010 system was way more of a cluster fuck. Last year was ideal with the free pumps. They were fast, well located and you could use any bottle you wanted. And if you wanted to avoid the short line or get colder water then you can spend $2, which is outrageously cheap compared to any other concert, sporting event or even the fucking movies. Why waste money or manpower on water stations when it can be used so much more effectively elsewhere.

BROKENDOLL
12-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Maybe because the Pure Filth dome wasn't located in the midst of the festival where the majority of peeps can be found. That, or not everyone agreed with your festivaling taste in music...:lips

WAIT! HOLD EVERYTHING!LOOK AT THE ITALICS! LOOK! I do believe that Cara and I are finally on the same grammar and spelling page! I'm almost certain that one day soon, we shall be out festivaling together... as one! FUCKIN'-A!!!

Yup and the peeps working the watering stations got tipped by me every time I went to get a refill. They just need to be vigilant about not spreading germs by inserting the nozzle into everybody's bottles.
You, showgazer76, are a class act festival goer! Showing appreciation ($) to someone for serving you will go a lot farther than getting your guts jabbed by an elbow while you're pushing and shoving your way to the front.

BROKENDOLL
12-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah you always have to stay in the beer garden with your beers... which is silly. Is that something the city mandates or what? There are lots of festivals that allow you to go everywhere with your booze.
It's Indio's way of segregating the drunks from the e-tards, I guess. That, or they're just trying to keep underage drinking down to a minimum.

I disagree, 2011 was a better system than 2010. However, like what someone else already said, EDC blew them both out of the...water. I would fully endorse Coachella implementing that refill system.

To everyone defending the beer garden gates, you all suck. I might even go out on a limb and say the extra trash around the field would be worth it. I didn't think anything of it before, until I went to Outside Lands this year. There was just something fucking perfect about watching Fogerty with a full beer in hand..
Not if when you went to sit down, it was in a puddle of beer vomit. Your Fogerty experience would have been tainted then.

orangejulius
12-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Okay, I'd like to hear why so many people believe that anyone who drinks is instantly an alcoholic douchebag. I enjoy having a beer every once in a while when I'm watching a show. I hold onto my trash, and throw it out in trash cans. I've done this at every festival I go to. Perhaps I'm an exception to the rule.

One of my favorite festival moments this year was at Lollapalooza, sitting with some friends out on the grass in front of the north stage, drinking a bottle of wine. I've never gotten drunk at a festival; It's just stupid to spend that kind of money to see all that music, and throw it away getting drunk.

So perhaps that's the thing that disappoints me, that there is no way to sip a drink while watching a show beyond sneaking it and risk getting caught. Because of that, I never drank a single beer at Coachella this year. I suppose I didn't have much time for it though, as I was running stage to stage to see everything I wanted. I also didn't drink at all during Bonnaroo, but that was for another reason... too damn hot.

So, I started by getting worked up, and now I guess I realized I rarely have time to drink at festivals anyway. Oh well. Maybe if they offer wine and/or mixed drinks in the quarantine zone, I'll not feel the compulsion to bitch.

Carry on. Oh, and the water situation was fine to me. Better than most.

HumanRobot74x
12-11-2011, 12:21 AM
The beer gardens may not be perfect but they worth it. While I agree it is nice to sip a beer during a show, I'll trade having to drink in the gardens versus an increased number of blacked out people and trash all over the fields. No not everyone who drinks fits the blacked out profile but it would definitely increase the number of idiots roaming the fields, spilling beer, yelling and generally just ruining sets. While you may be very courteous and pick up your cups, for every one of you there are 5 people drinking who wont. Plus, it's nice to keep at least some of the hammered people away from the show. Like Brokendoll said, it only takes one asshole to puke, pass out or try and start a fight to ruin your experience. If you really are committed to drinking, you should camp. You can drink your hearts content at your spot and within 5- 10 minutes be at any stage using that cut through they made to the Sahara/Mojave.

At the end of the day drinking is going to be a burden on someone and I think Coachella does it perfectly by putting the burden on the drinkers and not the rest of the festival. Suck it up or just say fuck it and do drugs.

guedita
12-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Maybe because the Pure Filth dome wasn't located in the midst of the festival where the majority of peeps can be found.

Be better at festivaling and less of a shriveled shrew.

bender
12-11-2011, 07:14 AM
This year was way better than 2010. Those taps the had filled your bottle so fast! The wait was never too long, especially if you're strategic about it.

icedKeg
12-11-2011, 02:48 PM
This.

Seriously. It's already a depressing mess of idiot douche bags littering the field with non-beer cup related garbage, despite the numerous waste stations.
Seriously people, throw away your shit. So many people worship the polo fields and then completely disgrace it by littering it.

There was just something fucking perfect about watching Fogerty with a full beer in hand..
Fucking perfect.

BROKENDOLL
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Be better at festivaling and less of a shriveled shrew.
You've truly lost your fondness for me, haven't you?

guedita
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
No. Knowing where the best place to refill your water the most expediently has nothing to do with whether or not you like the artists slotted to play at the nearby stage. It's simple. Spend the few minutes scoping out the area you are festivaling in. Figure out how to dominate. Dominate.

Also, clean up after yourself.

ods..
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Dominate.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_578/1296214527YyGsNA.jpg

BROKENDOLL
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
No. Knowing where the best place to refill your water the most expediently has nothing to do with whether or not you like the artists slotted to play at the nearby stage. It's simple. Spend the few minutes scoping out the area you are festivaling in. Figure out how to dominate. Dominate.
Dominate... Okay, I think I got it, thanks!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/HOME%20SWEET%20HOME/FAMILY%20and%20FRIENDS/treepeoplemedumpingwaterontorishead.jpg

Neighborhood Creep
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/Jeffkoenen/jtree.jpg

santasutt
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Surely I'm not the only idiot who figured out that Stoli looks like water and this was a simple solution to the whole drinking while grooving problem.

Vodka+Lemonade >Vodka+Gatorade

Timestretch
12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
We will all have to remember this keen insight the next time we want to sneak some Vanilla Stoli into the polo fields.

NachoCat
12-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Word. Well said

brycerosen
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
they should just do both,
free water is an awesome move that shows some class, while having cold filtered water for those who want to pay for it is classy as well.

Drewski27
12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/Jeffkoenen/jtree.jpg

Blackrock campground in Joshua Tree? pretty sure thats exactly where i was camping last trip out.