PDA

View Full Version : It's Raining Directors Who Rape Christ and Sure Play a Mean Pinball

schoolofruckus
11-28-2011, 06:23 AM
RIP Ken Russell

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/r-i-p-women-in-love-and-tommy-director-ken-russell-1927-2011

gaypalmsprings
11-28-2011, 06:26 AM
I had forgotten "The Devils." It was one of the best movies of the 1970s.

RIP

M Sparks
11-28-2011, 06:46 AM
I was not aware he was still with us. I don't think I've seen any of his work since "Whore", which was pretty terrible. Still, what a great run in the 70s and 80s

RageAgainstTheAoki
11-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Aw. I always liked Women in Love and Lair of the White Worm was fucking hilarious. Not sure if it was intended to be, but wow was it camp.

HandBanana
11-28-2011, 07:21 AM
A true master of camp insanity and a kind of batty film creativity that you just don't see anymore.
His streak came when he was in his late 40s/50s as well. He was born in like 1927.

I shall put on Lisztomania tonight in tribute.

CrimesceneCookie
11-28-2011, 08:15 AM
don't forget
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/Altered_states.jpg/220px-Altered_states.jpg

HandBanana
11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
"Now, Ken Russell is terrific in the mornings. Then he has quite a... "French" lunch, and in the afternoon he's a fascinating director. I had to do a bit in Lair Of The White Worm where I had to pick up a sword and cut someone in half, as one does in a Ken Russell film. And I said, "You know, it doesn't feel quite comfortable doing it this way." And his directorial response was, [slurs speech] "Well, fuck how it fuckin' feels. Do it how I showed you, you fuckin' cunt!" Which is not classic Ingmar Bergman direction."
— Hugh Grant, on working with Russell

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-28-2011, 08:42 AM
I guess i've only seen Tommy and Altered States, both of which i love dearly. I need to look into his other work. Nice that he seemed to have lived a long, rich life.

tigermilkboy
11-28-2011, 10:47 AM
"Now, Ken Russell is terrific in the mornings. Then he has quite a... "French" lunch, and in the afternoon he's a fascinating director. I had to do a bit in Lair Of The White Worm where I had to pick up a sword and cut someone in half, as one does in a Ken Russell film. And I said, "You know, it doesn't feel quite comfortable doing it this way." And his directorial response was, [slurs speech] "Well, fuck how it fuckin' feels. Do it how I showed you, you fuckin' cunt!" Which is not classic Ingmar Bergman direction."
— Hugh Grant, on working with Russell

The other account of the Hugh Grant "cunt" story goes like this:

"Back when he was just starting out Grant appeared in Ken Russell’s Lair of the White Worm. On his first day on set Ken was trying to direct a scene, but Hugh said “I’ve been thinking about my character and I thought I should play the scene sitting down”. Ken looked at him and said “Who gives a fuck what you think you cunt?” And that was the end of that discussion."

Some of Ken Russell's output was either brilliant or utter crap, but he sounds like he would have been great fun to invite to a dinner party.