PDA

View Full Version : Weird rash? Genitals leaking green fluid? Have some Illegitimate Medical Advice!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Disclaimer: I'm only graduating from nursing school (I'm getting my BSN in December 2011!) but I will try to diagnose your ailments for fun. I will probably be wrong. But I will still try to go all House MD on your asses.

Any other medical professionals on the board, feel free to casually diagnose people too!

Post pictures of weird things! Or send me a PM. I will try my best to help you figure it out.

I also give love advice. Ask away! :)

Neighborhood Creep
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
My taint smells like vanilla extract. Help

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Probably a yeast infection.

zenidogx
11-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a protruding epididymis on my left testicle. From time to time, the testicle goes numb. The urologist I was referred to says I'm fine and that numbness/pain in that area can come and go. Tests showed a high level of calcium, but I was told it's not a bad sign. This was months ago and the numbness continues on and off.

Anything in your textbooks that could have been glossed over? I hope it has nothing to do with the underwear I'm wearing.

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a protruding epididymis on my left testicle. From time to time, the testicle goes numb. The urologist I was referred to says I'm fine and that numbness/pain in that area can come and go. Tests showed a high level of calcium, but I was told it's not a bad sign. This was months ago and the numbness continues on and off.

Anything in your textbooks that could have been glossed over? I hope it has nothing to do with the underwear I'm wearing.

Hm. Do you think your pain/numbness could be from the pressure of your inner thigh (or wherever your left ball rests on)? Since it's protruding, you are probably pressing down on it more which can cause pain.

When did this numbness start? How long does it last? When you feel pain, what kind of pain is it? Like, is it stinging? Or stabby? Sharp? Or dull? Are you able to ejaculate normally?

Bud Luster
11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Had epidymitis before. Dr. say no more yanky my wanky for awhile. Twasnt protruding, but I was thankful it wasn't ball cancer.

Courtney
11-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Herro kitty, when I wake up before 6am with less than 4 hours of sleep, I always feel like I need to puke. I don't actually puke, but I feel like I'm going to. Eating does not help, nor does anything else I have tried, but the feeling will go away after being awake for an hour or so. This does not happen if I wake up after 6am with less than 4 hours of sleep, nor does it happen when I wake up before 6am but have gone to sleep early.

Why does that happen?

samiksha
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Hello barrrr, my bottom right eyelid has been twitching multiple times a day for a few minutes at a time for around 4 weeks now. What up with that?

heart cooks brain
11-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Hello barrrr, my bottom right eyelid has been twitching multiple times a day for a few minutes at a time for around 4 weeks now. What up with that?

http://www.oddpedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Michael-J.-Fox-movies.jpg

Courtney
11-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Heehee.

Samisha, how much caffeine do you drink?

samiksha
11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Eh. Somewhere between 50 and 200 mg a day. I'm in the process of trying to cut back. I also heard potassium has something to do with it so I ate one banana last week.

zircona1
11-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Eh. Somewhere between 50 and 200 mg a day. I'm in the process of trying to cut back. I also heard potassium has something to do with it so I ate one banana last week.

I had that same problem, I asked my eye doctor about it and he did mention something about potassium, he advised me to eat a banana every so often.

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Herro kitty, when I wake up before 6am with less than 4 hours of sleep, I always feel like I need to puke. I don't actually puke, but I feel like I'm going to. Eating does not help, nor does anything else I have tried, but the feeling will go away after being awake for an hour or so. This does not happen if I wake up after 6am with less than 4 hours of sleep, nor does it happen when I wake up before 6am but have gone to sleep early.

Why does that happen?

So do you mean that if you sleep at 5am and wake up at 8am, you feel fine?
Are you feeling nauseous as you rise from bed? Or is it the moment you wake up and you're lying in bed? Do you have any problems with blood pressure?

Do you know about circadian rhythms? You probably don't get nauseous from waking up after 6am with 4 hrs of sleep because your body is waking up along with the sun, so it feels normal. And if you go to bed early and get enough sleep, you don't feel sick even though you wake up earlier than 6am.

I don't know much about sleep, but this phenomenon of yours is probably due to your unique body and how it handles lack of sleep and/or how your sleep coincides with circadian rhythms and stuff :)

Muscle twitching anywhere is usually related to improper electrolyte levels. So yeah, keep up with your electrolytes. Potassium and phosphorus are major electrolytes that deal with muscle function, so like zircona said, eat a banana once in a while :)

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I hope I'm not annoying you all with asking more questions.

DFrank
11-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Are you able to ejaculate normally?

I think so? What is normal? Teaspoon size?

Courtney
11-27-2011, 07:11 PM
So do you mean that if you sleep at 5am and wake up at 8am, you feel fine?
Are you feeling nauseous as you rise from bed? Or is it the moment you wake up and you're lying in bed? Do you have any problems with blood pressure?

Do you know about circadian rhythms? You probably don't get nauseous from waking up after 6am with 4 hrs of sleep because your body is waking up along with the sun, so it feels normal. And if you go to bed early and get enough sleep, you don't feel sick even though you wake up earlier than 6am.

I don't know much about sleep, but this phenomenon of yours is probably due to your unique body and how it handles lack of sleep and/or how your sleep coincides with circadian rhythms and stuff :)

Interesting, thank you.

Yes, I mean that if I sleep from 5am to 8am, I feel tired, but I don't get nauseous the same way. And when it does happen, I feel nauseous as I'm getting up and walking around, for about the first hour I'm awake. I have really really low blood pressure, always have -- do you think that could have something to do with it?

I'm going to google circadian rhythms.

nathanfairchild
11-27-2011, 07:22 PM
lately, eating anything even a little bit spicy makes me feel like vomiting. it's only been within the last month or so. any idea what could be causing this?

Courtney
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
You're preggers.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Could be an ulcer...experiencing any other abdominal pains?

fatbastard
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I got a check up a few weeks ago and have yet to go back and have blood work done.

1-Do I really have to not eat anything for 12 hours?

2-Does it make a difference if I smoke a cigarette before going in?

heart cooks brain
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Those are questions we all need answered. thank you fatbastard.

stinkbutt
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
My grandma was a nurse for 40 years and she always said yes, especially if you are actually a fat bastard

Then again that was ages ago and what do I know

buddy
11-27-2011, 08:20 PM
lately, eating anything even a little bit spicy makes me feel like vomiting. it's only been within the last month or so. any idea what could be causing this?

is it just spicy things/foods? i just ask because i have a form of GERD, and spicy things, among other things, help trigger this. i'm on medication and changed my eating habits, which helps.

bmack86
11-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Specific, odd question:

In the past year, whenever I go to dinner with my parents, either in LA or when I visit them at home, I frequently wind up with some serious queasiness and end up vomiting. At home, I like attributing it to the fact that I'm not smoking pot at all and am experiencing some withdrawal symptoms (frequent user.)

Does this sound like a decent hypothesis? What the hell, man?

getbetter
11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Specific, odd question:

In the past year, whenever I go to dinner with my parents, either in LA or when I visit them at home, I frequently wind up with some serious queasiness and end up vomiting. At home, I like attributing it to the fact that I'm not smoking pot at all and am experiencing some withdrawal symptoms (frequent user.)

I don't think it's Pot Withdrawals.The worse I get is depression from not smoking.

On another note the title of the thread reminds me of a interlude in Dr. Octagon. Tell me what Moosebumps are?

zenidogx
11-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Hm. Do you think your pain/numbness could be from the pressure of your inner thigh (or wherever your left ball rests on)? Since it's protruding, you are probably pressing down on it more which can cause pain.

When did this numbness start? How long does it last? When you feel pain, what kind of pain is it? Like, is it stinging? Or stabby? Sharp? Or dull? Are you able to ejaculate normally?

It started sometime in March/April. When I feel it, it becomes distracting on-and-off for an hour or so.
I do sit cross-legged when possible. At the same time, I have been noticing the sensation at work, where I sit normally behind a desk. It's a dull pain mostly, sometimes sharp. Everything else has been fine, otherwise.

I'll avoid sitting in positions that would put pressure on it.

Had epidymitis before. Dr. say no more yanky my wanky for awhile. Twasnt protruding, but I was thankful it wasn't ball cancer.

First thing I did was hold off on that. Didn't seem to make a difference.

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I think so? What is normal? Teaspoon size?

I mean, does it hurt when you ejaculate? Any delay? If the pain/numbness isn't too intrusive to your daily living, you should be ok for now... Keep a log describing the pain/numbness when it happens and be as descriptive as possible so the next time you see a doctor, they have a clearer picture of what's going on :)

Interesting, thank you.

Yes, I mean that if I sleep from 5am to 8am, I feel tired, but I don't get nauseous the same way. And when it does happen, I feel nauseous as I'm getting up and walking around, for about the first hour I'm awake. I have really really low blood pressure, always have -- do you think that could have something to do with it?

I'm going to google circadian rhythms.

Having very low blood pressure as you rise can make you dizzy and even faint. If you get up too fast, the blood rushes out of your head and you can get dizzy, nauseous, or fainty. It's called orthostatic hypotension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension). Dunno how the 6am/ <4hr of sleep works into this though. But try to slowly get up.. Like, sit on the edge of your bed for a minute before you completely stand up.

What's your average BP?

How old are you? Do you have any pain that is localized in a particular area? Like Drinkey said, it could probably be an ulcer. Do you drink/smoke/take a lot of aspirin? Smoking and drinking can increase acid production and aspirin/NSAIDs are known for causing gastrointestinal bleeding. You should avoid eating spicy food and see a doctor so they can figure out what kind of ulcer it is and prescribe you the right medication to heal it.

I got a check up a few weeks ago and have yet to go back and have blood work done.

1-Do I really have to not eat anything for 12 hours?

2-Does it make a difference if I smoke a cigarette before going in?

YES! Ah. The act of eating makes your body go crazy with all sorts of secretions and enzymes, and these will affect the blood work results. They want to get a baseline of what your average labs are, and eating food will alter these results. It's tough, but try not to eat anything.

If you have to do a procedure that deals with shoving a camera down your throat (endoscopy), it's really important not to eat anything beforehand either because the doctor wants your GI to be as still as possible when he's wiggling the camera down your esophagus. Having eaten will start the whole digestion process and that can make the camera not be able to get down to wherever it needs to get down.

If you EVER have ANY QUESTIONS about ANYTHING, ALWAYS ASK!! Don't be afraid to ask anything. The saddest thing I see is when the doctor talks all fast and leaves after a nod and the patient is trembling and asking me about what the doc just said. Just know you are paying good ass money to see the doctor, so ask them until they explain it to you fully. It is your life that you are dealing with, so you better know as much about what is going on as you can!!

And for cigs, yes! They can constrict your blood vessels and change your pH and all kinds of weird shit, so it's just safer to not smoke beforehand.

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Specific, odd question:

Has there been any common foods that you've been eating when you're with them? Is there any commonality for these incidences besides you just being with your folks? Maybe you're allergic to your mom's new perfume?

I don't know much about pot because we weren't taught the medicinal effects except for some oncology medications. I wish I was taught, though!

Can you sneak a hit while you're visiting them? If the nausea and vomiting stop, then you'll know it's the pot :) But if it doesn't, then you'll know it's something else. Just the process of elimination.

But really, I'm stumped. Maybe you secretly hate them. :)

weeklymix
11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Why won't my grandmother die?

algunz
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Because she secretly hates you?

Courtney
11-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Having very low blood pressure as you rise can make you dizzy and even faint. If you get up too fast, the blood rushes out of your head and you can get dizzy, nauseous, or fainty. It's called orthostatic hypotension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension). Dunno how the 6am/ <4hr of sleep works into this though. But try to slowly get up.. Like, sit on the edge of your bed for a minute before you completely stand up.

What's your average BP?

Having low blood pressure definitely does make me feel dizzy when I sit up quickly, but I don't know why it would effect nausea differently at different times of day? Does one's blood pressure differ according to hour of the day? My average resting BP is like 80/58. (When I was younger, my doctor used to tell me to add more salt to my food! But now, they don't really say anything anymore.)

nathanfairchild
11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
How old are you? Do you have any pain that is localized in a particular area? Like Drinkey said, it could probably be an ulcer. Do you drink/smoke/take a lot of aspirin? Smoking and drinking can increase acid production and aspirin/NSAIDs are known for causing gastrointestinal bleeding. You should avoid eating spicy food and see a doctor so they can figure out what kind of ulcer it is and prescribe you the right medication to heal it.

I'm 22. It's not painful but it makes me feel nauseous. i rarely drink and if i do just beer. i don't smoke and i only take aspirin as needed but it's not a daily thing.

Neighborhood Creep
11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
I have been getting flashes out the corner of my right eye. I read up on it and it said that it is most likely a tear in my retina. Could this have occurred from being hit in the side of the head with a blunt object? It started right after my client slammed a ceramic bowl over my head causing me to need 6 stitches.

RedHotSgtPeppers
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I have been getting flashes out the corner of my right eye. I read up on it and it said that it is most likely a tear in my retina. Could this have occurred from being hit in the side of the head with a blunt object? It started right after my client slammed a ceramic bowl over my head causing me to need 6 stitches.

What did you do to anger your poor client?

bmack86
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Has there been any common foods that you've been eating when you're with them? Is there any commonality for these incidences besides you just being with your folks? Maybe you're allergic to your mom's new perfume?

I don't know much about pot because we weren't taught the medicinal effects except for some oncology medications. I wish I was taught, though!

Can you sneak a hit while you're visiting them? If the nausea and vomiting stop, then you'll know it's the pot :) But if it doesn't, then you'll know it's something else. Just the process of elimination.

But really, I'm stumped. Maybe you secretly hate them. :)

I want to believe it's the pot, but I worry that it's me being so concerned about my mom's cancer eventually winning that I get physically ill when I'm around them.

Beyond the fact that it happens exclusively with my parents, and that I avoid smoking completely when I know they'll be around, there are no other commonalities.

I hope it's stress in general or simple pot withdrawals. I doubt it is.

marooko
11-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Not a medical professional in any way, but that could have absolutely caused it, if that happens to be the case.

greghead
11-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Specific, odd question:

I get this as well. I was always certain it was THC withdrawal. In fact, when I went to Austin most recently to see my folks, I flew out with dope to specifically avoid this issue. It worked.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-27-2011, 11:36 PM
I always find it hilarious when people STILL try to claim to me that marijuana is not addictive in any way. i experienced a lot of serious symptoms of addiction/withdrawl with it several years ago, including nausea and terrible nightmares.

heart cooks brain
11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
my withdrawals are pretty minor. irritability and trouble sleeping. loss of appetite. after a few days it goes away.

Mugwog
11-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Irritability from lack of pot I feel is more related to not having that stoner force field to keep one from processing the excess bullshit that waste one's energy in thinking about it (excess bullshit) in addition to tasks already at hand, as opposed to addiction withdrawal.

Bmack:
Possibly cannabis edibles? Although yes, they don't get the same instant gratification as taking a green bong load from a Roor; the thc will last in your system longer, and will be much more discreet.

You mentioned cancer and your Mom, I would imagine this is a stronger source of the anxiety and nausea. That word is one of the scariest words for anyone to hear regarding a family member. Hope the best for her. :(

frazzles
11-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Almost everyday recently I've been plagued with headaches that tend to start more towards cerebellum and eventually throb their way through my entire head.

Also: I tend to sleep very little and consume a retarded amount of caffeine almost every day.

Neighborhood Creep
11-28-2011, 07:07 AM
What did you do to anger your poor client?

I literally only suggested he sweep instead of vacuum the wood floor. He is obsessed with vacuums and I didn't know the extent of it. My approach/suggestion of the broom to clean up a stepped on cracker was calm. I was sitting on a couch as this went on.

Client "Can can can can I I I vacuum the flooooooorrr?"

Me "How about we sweep it up instead since it's not carpet"

Client grabs the nearest thing to him, which happens to be a ceramic candy dish and swings it at my head. I duck and it makes contact with my head causing me to drop to the floor. I laid down because I was feeling faint as the blood was coming out of my head and told him to go to his room. I called 911 and went to the bathroom to get a towel to wrap around my head. As I walked back into the living room he asked me to vacuum again and I said "stay in your room" then he started to punch me. Wtf. Anyways, I walked out of the house, laid in the grass outside waiting for the owner and ambulance to come.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227785_10150175705086150_511891149_7151595_4531916 _n.jpg

/cool story bro

herro kitty
11-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Why won't my grandmother die?

She wants to see her grandchildren first. I can help you with that :cat

Having low blood pressure definitely does make me feel dizzy when I sit up quickly, but I don't know why it would effect nausea differently at different times of day? Does one's blood pressure differ according to hour of the day? My average resting BP is like 80/58. (When I was younger, my doctor used to tell me to add more salt to my food! But now, they don't really say anything anymore.)

BPs do change during the day. When you're laying down for a few hours, your BP is even lower because your blood is just chillin, not really having to fight gravity or push hard. So when you rise, you are super at risk for dizziness and nausea. So I am guessing that the nausea is just how your body tries to handle the sudden need of increased blood pressure when you wake up. Try drinking water when you're in bed, before you get up. Having a few saltine crackers in bed can help too; they're simple carbs and therefore easily digestible and can help you wake up.

I'm 22. It's not painful but it makes me feel nauseous. i rarely drink and if i do just beer. i don't smoke and i only take aspirin as needed but it's not a daily thing.

You said it's been going on for a month, right? Were you sick around a month ago? Like a cold or flu? Or anything that can suppress your immune system? Perhaps you have an H. pylori infection, which causes peptic ulcers. This sounds like the beginning of a peptic ulcer. You should see a doctor to diagnose it. The sooner you go, the less problematic it will be. And for the time being, avoid anything that causes this nausea.

Yes. That's probably it

Neighborhood Creep
11-28-2011, 07:10 AM
I always find it hilarious when people STILL try to claim to me that marijuana is not addictive in any way. i experienced a lot of serious symptoms of addiction/withdrawl with it several years ago, including nausea and terrible nightmares.

I was addicted for years. Stopping was extremely hard and I have an easier time not drinking for a month than I did to stop smoking for 2 days. At that time I still preferred drinking more too.

marooko
11-28-2011, 07:15 AM
my withdrawals are pretty minor. irritability and trouble sleeping. loss of appetite. after a few days it goes away.

These are very similar to mine. Stopping was very difficult, the symptoms were not an issue at all.

I literally only suggested he sweep instead of vacuum the wood floor. He is obsessed with vacuums and I didn't know the extent of it. My approach/suggestion of the broom to clean up a stepped on cracker was calm. I was sitting on a couch as this went on.

Client "Can can can can I I I vacuum the flooooooorrr?"

Me "How about we sweep it up instead since it's not carpet"

Client grabs the nearest thing to him, which happens to be a ceramic candy dish and swings it at my head. I duck and it makes contact with my head causing me to drop to the floor. I laid down because I was feeling faint as the blood was coming out of my head and told him to go to his room. I called 911 and went to the bathroom to get a towel to wrap around my head. As I walked back into the living room he asked me to vacuum again and I said "stay in your room" then he started to punch me. Wtf. Anyways, I walked out of the house, laid in the grass outside waiting for the owner and ambulance to come.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227785_10150175705086150_511891149_7151595_4531916 _n.jpg

/cool story bro

What in the.....

heart cooks brain
11-28-2011, 07:23 AM
These are very similar to mine. Stopping was very difficult, the symptoms were not an issue at all.

hardest part is wanting to be stoned

What in the.....

yeah, that's fucked up.

fatbastard
11-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I totaly thought he was screwing around with that story.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Neighborhood Creep, what is your job? I'm having a hard time deciphering what "client" means in your insane story.

miscorrections
11-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Dealer, obvs.

Neighborhood Creep
11-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Dealer, obvs.

This, but it happened at my job in adult foster care. I take care of window lickers

Stickjohn
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
I recommend wearing that towel around your head all the time for protection. It's also a good look for you.

chairmenmeow47
11-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I recommend wearing that towel around your head all the time for protection.

get your ass to mars

locachica73
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Why does that happen?

If you find the true answer to this question I would love to get it also because I have the same issue. I also have a lot of other stomach issues that include the urge to puke often so I kind of just linked the two. But I am assuming you don't have CVS or a hiatal hernia (sp?)?

obzen
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
get your ass to mars

ha!

herro kitty
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I want to believe it's the pot, but I worry that it's me being so concerned about my mom's cancer eventually winning that I get physically ill when I'm around them.

Beyond the fact that it happens exclusively with my parents, and that I avoid smoking completely when I know they'll be around, there are no other commonalities.

I hope it's stress in general or simple pot withdrawals. I doubt it is.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom, Bryan... If there's anything I can do, please let me know..

Almost everyday recently I've been plagued with headaches that tend to start more towards cerebellum and eventually throb their way through my entire head.

Also: I tend to sleep very little and consume a retarded amount of caffeine almost every day.

It's funny how you figure your own problem out :)

TomAz
11-28-2011, 01:08 PM
hello herro.

Have you ever heard of 'pine mouth'? A friend just experienced this recently. Weirdest medical condition ever. Well excluding spontaneous combustion.

miscorrections
11-28-2011, 01:13 PM
I know you're not talking to me, but pine mouth is super interesting. I read that it mostly happens with pine nuts imported from China, so try not to buy Chinese if you're concerned.

TomAz
11-28-2011, 01:19 PM
why am i not talking to you?

miscorrections
11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Because I'm not Barb? I assumed your question was directed at her.

TomAz
11-28-2011, 01:39 PM
oh. I misread that. nm.

but it is a public board. and pine mouth is super interesting. so your contribution is welcome as always.

Newro7ic
11-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I had pine mouth before. Everything tasted terrible. I had no idea what it was from, but the Internet came to the rescue. It went away after a few days. I now have an irrational fear of pine nuts... and I used to love them so.

Goatchella
11-28-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm never gonna eat pine nuts again

fatbastard
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm leaving for that blood work right now. I haven't eaten anything since 7Pm last night. In a very fucked up mood.

Speaking of nuts, my new doctor reminds me of the chinese guy from that movie knocked up. Though your mind may think it sounds like a winner, I had a hard time with my last doctor, who looked like a 15 year old chinese girl, touching and feeling my ball sack and cock.

Goatchella
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
You say that like its a bad thing.

ThomThom
11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Speaking of nuts, my new doctor reminds me of the chinese guy from that movie knocked up.

Henry, you will never believe this but that guy (Kendrick Jeong) used to be my doctor at Kaiser Woodland Hills. He was a practicing physician and moonlighted as a stand up comedian.

herro kitty
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
hello herro.

Have you ever heard of 'pine mouth'? A friend just experienced this recently. Weirdest medical condition ever. Well excluding spontaneous combustion.

I have not, actually. I will have to read up on that. Have you heard of 'pica'? It's a disorder that causes people to crave and eat weird non-foods, like shit, dirt, or hair. I think the people eat weird shit because they are iron-deficient or something.

Henry, you will never believe this but that guy (Kendrick Jeong) used to be my doctor at Kaiser Woodland Hills. He was a practicing physician and moonlighted as a stand up comedian.

Wow. People like him make me feel really inferior. He's a fucking doctor AND he is a big time actor? Some people are just a different breed.

ThomThom
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow. People like him make me feel really inferior. He's a fucking doctor AND he is a big time actor? Some people are just a different breed.

I know, really intelligent dude, ironically his wife is my sister's doctor. Congrats on the upcoming BSN Barb, let me know when your looking to get a job in LA.

fatbastard
11-28-2011, 06:05 PM
No way. This guy works at Kaiser Sunset.

herro kitty
11-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Sasha, I'll definitely talk to you as soon as I get my license... I will be taking the NCLEX mid January!

algunz
11-28-2011, 07:20 PM
My brother works at Kaiser off Venice near the 10. He's not Chinese, but he does make me laugh sometimes.

frizzlefry
11-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I have a hospital bill that I thought was covered four years ago that reemerged recently. It's for the ambulance ride, I can cover it but I really don't want to. My dad said that it will ding my credit but not too the point that it will prevent me from getting an apartment or loan for a car or anything like that. I have good credit at the time, should I pay it or just let it hit? Do you know anything about this, does anybody?

locachica73
11-29-2011, 11:38 AM
The only time past hospital bills have come back to haunt me is when I bought my house, at that point I wrote a letter and offered a settlement for less than what the bills were for, they accepted and wrote it off my credit report. There is a chance though that they can eventually garnish your wages for it if they don't hear anything from you.

insbordnat
11-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a hospital bill that I thought was covered four years ago that reemerged recently. It's for the ambulance ride, I can cover it but I really don't want to. My dad said that it will ding my credit but not too the point that it will prevent me from getting an apartment or loan for a car or anything like that. I have good credit at the time, should I pay it or just let it hit? Do you know anything about this, does anybody?

This is more of a financial question. Ultimately your credit will suffer as long as this bill is delinquent, and depending on the amount and how long you haven't paid it will dictate the hit to your FICO score. If you are applying for credit (apartment, car, etc.) then yes, a potential creditor may deny extending you credit because of this as well, irrespective of the hit to your FICO score. It comes down to their own underwriting standards for extending credit.

Pay the damn thing and move on. If you feel the bill was unjust, or want to settle for a lesser amount, then you can possibly try to work out a negotiation. I believe still if you settle for less than amount owed it may still negatively impact your credit as that would be noted as such on your report, unless it was stipulated otherwise.

Mugwog
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd send the bill back and state it was apart of my coverage, settle it with the insurance company.

I've had that happen to me before and I got two different amounts. Seems like the hospital will try to bill you to see if you'll pay sometimes...

ThomThom
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Contact your health insurance carrier at the time and see what went wrong with this billed amount and see about having it re-billed. Some insurance companies cover an ambulance ride if medical necessity was involved and you actually had an inpatient stay. Don't pay for this until you get everybody else to fucking pay for it, once that has been exhausted and you clearly are responsible for the balance owed than you can work out a payment arrangement with the company directly, do NOT make an arrangement with the collection agency they sold it to under any circumstances.

Miroir Noir
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
frizzlefry, do you know if the hospital or another entity has filed a debt collection suit against you?

insbordnat
11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
I've been diagnosed with otitis media (middle ear infection). It's pissing me off. I'm on day 7 or so of my Augmentin without any super results. I'm hoping that the next three days I'll turn the corner. Any remedies to help unplug my ear? I've read some hocus pocus things online that I refuse to try. Part of me doesn't want to screw with it and just wait. It's more of an inconvenience because my hearing is diminished in my bad ear at the moment.

TomAz
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Why is this reemerging after 4 years? An insurance company wouldn't pay for a bill that old because the provider has a duty to submit a timely invoice. 4 years is not timely. An ambulance ride would certainly be covered under a health insurance policy (unless it wasn't an actual emergency, which seems very unlikely). You need to get to the bottom of why this wasn't taken care of 4 years ago before you go writing any checks. Let me know if you have any questions, I know a thing or two in this area.

miscorrections
11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Again, I'm not Barb, but in my experience the only antibiotic that every really killed my (constant childhood) ear infections was azithromycin (Z-Pak). That doesn't particularly help you now, and I wouldn't try any home remedies either, but next time perhaps you can talk to your doctor about the various antibiotic treatments and see if you can find one that works better for you.

frizzlefry
11-29-2011, 12:09 PM
By worked out I mean I went into a lengthy negotiation with the hospital about how ridiculous this bill was and how I was unable to pay it due to my family's insurance not covering at all, my condition...being blacked/passed out drunk and under 21 in the streets of LA, wasn't seen as an emergency meaning that I had to foot the bill. I was 19 when the incident happened and very broke. They (the hospital) agreed (or so I thought) on a lesser amount which I paid in full. This bill that recently resurfaced was supposedly settled after my negotiations and the amount I paid, as I said that was four years ago, I tried to keep track of the information for this but I wasn't really expecting this to come back and bite me after several years.
I don't have any of the fucking numbers or remember any of the names of the people that I had to go through for the negotiations, I barely remember the hospital name, all I have is collections number which sent me the bill. I'd have to start from square one all over again to negotiate this and even if I did get another settlement or the fees waived, how would I know it won't just come back again like this one did? I'm kind of answering my own question here I guess, I'm really just looking for more people that will tell me that my credit really won't be affected too poorly.

ThomThom
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I've been diagnosed with otitis media (middle ear infection). It's pissing me off. I'm on day 7 or so of my Augmentin without any super results. I'm hoping that the next three days I'll turn the corner. Any remedies to help unplug my ear? I've read some hocus pocus things online that I refuse to try. Part of me doesn't want to screw with it and just wait. It's more of an inconvenience because my hearing is diminished in my bad ear at the moment.

With antibiotics like Augmentin it is a waiting game and unfortunately having a middle ear infection makes normal remedies such as antibiotic drops harder to reach the problematic area, but you can ask your doctor to prescribe some ear drops, preferably ofloxacin to help ease some of the tension and make the infection go away faster. Keep in mind that because it's a middle ear infection you have to keep your head tilted a lot longer than you normally would, probably around 10 minutes or so.

ThomThom
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Again, I'm not Barb, but in my experience the only antibiotic that every really killed my (constant childhood) ear infections was azithromycin (Z-Pak). That doesn't particularly help you now, and I wouldn't try any home remedies either, but next time perhaps you can talk to your doctor about the various antibiotic treatments and see if you can find one that works better for you.

Azithromycin is too weak of an antibiotic for an infection that is more centered towards the middle of his ear, Augmentin is stronger (especially for Otolaryngology related bacterial infections) and will more or less get to the hard to reach area in a more timely manner.

miscorrections
11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I think it depends on your body and your internal bacterial resistance. The Tri-Pak always killed what Augmentin couldn't, probably because I'd had amoxicillin so many times that most of my bacteria were resistant.

ThomThom
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I think it depends on your body and your internal bacterial resistance. The Tri-Pak always killed what Augmentin couldn't, probably because I'd had amoxicillin so many times that most of my bacteria were resistant.

Absolutely, I also developed a huge resistance to Amoxicillin and am now considered allergic to it because of how much it was prescribed to me as a child, thankfully I have not developed resistance to Azithromycin, than I'd be fucked with sulfa based drugs for the rest of my life, bleh.

Miroir Noir
11-29-2011, 12:29 PM
frizzlefry, the reason why I asked you if a suit has been filed is because the other party may be beyond the statute of limitations for filing in your state and could be attempting to strong arm you into paying them without a judgment (that they may not be allowed to obtain). In the alternative, if they have filed a suit and the court found you in default, you may racking up interest and attorneys fees that you aren't aware of in addition to whatever the debt may actually be.

miscorrections
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I pretty much never take antibiotics now even though ever since my tonsils came out I've had a semi-constant low-grade sinus infection. I just don't want to run through all my antibiotic options while still young.

Goatchella
11-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I hate antibiotics. Ear pain can fuck your life up tho.

TomAz
11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Herro,

Since you have 'weird rashes' in the title, I thought I'd contribute here.

I get seasonal skin allergies. In the springtime when other people are sneezing and wheezing with hayfever, i'm itching and scratching with a rash. It starts to emerge in late February (typically) and gets really bad in April and starts to abate in late May; by mid June it's typically gone altogether. This has happened every year for as long as I've lived in Arizona. It seems to also directly relate to outdoor activity. This past spring was late in Arizona (two February hard freezes killed off early plant growth) and my rash/allergies were similarly late in getting started.

I have been to the doctor for this and they gave me steroidal cream which does a nice job controlling the symptoms but unfortunately means I will never be elected to the baseball Hall of Fame.

I am the only person I know who gets seasonal skin allergies. The internet medical sites seem to admit it to be a possiblity but do not seem to think it worthy of much discussion.

insbordnat
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks all. I rarely get sick so this is really chapping my ass. If anyone has accounting or business questions feel free to hit me up :D

herro kitty
11-29-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm not really strong in pharmacology, but if your treatment is finished and you still have problems, it's important to follow up with your doctor to find out about other options. ThomThom and Corinna brought up a lot of good points about antibiotics, too!

Absolutely, I also developed a huge resistance to Amoxicillin and am now considered allergic to it because of how much it was prescribed to me as a child, thankfully I have not developed resistance to Azithromycin, than I'd be fucked with sulfa based drugs for the rest of my life, bleh.

What is bad about sulfa based drugs? We didn't go into depth about a lot of medications...

Herro,

Since you have 'weird rashes' in the title, I thought I'd contribute here.

I get seasonal skin allergies. In the springtime when other people are sneezing and wheezing with hayfever, i'm itching and scratching with a rash. It starts to emerge in late February (typically) and gets really bad in April and starts to abate in late May; by mid June it's typically gone altogether. This has happened every year for as long as I've lived in Arizona. It seems to also directly relate to outdoor activity. This past spring was late in Arizona (two February hard freezes killed off early plant growth) and my rash/allergies were similarly late in getting started.

I have been to the doctor for this and they gave me steroidal cream which does a nice job controlling the symptoms but unfortunately means I will never be elected to the baseball Hall of Fame.

I am the only person I know who gets seasonal skin allergies. The internet medical sites seem to admit it to be a possiblity but do not seem to think it worthy of much discussion.

Well, since your skin is the first thing in contact with your outside environment, it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary if you are allergic to some sort of pollutant or tree pollen or something and have a skin rash developed. I don't think it is a big deal if you can control it with your steroid creams. Would wearing a long-sleeved shirt help, maybe?

kitt kat
11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
In the past year, whenever I go to dinner with my parents, either in LA or when I visit them at home, I frequently wind up with some serious queasiness and end up vomiting.

Dude, similar things happen to me. Say I eat a meal out (not overeat, but not snicky snacking) and I go somewhere like a show after where I have to stand for a while...I get these intense stomach pains and either get close to puking or puke. If I have one beer, the pain is even worse. It's gotten to the point where I refuse to eat before going out to a place where I know I will stand and I haven't been eating as much as I should. In NYC it was AWFUL and I puked a few times when I was there. (Walking + eating + walking more = very sad stomach.) What gives, Barb?

Also, related to puking...I recently got over a cold. I still have a lot of mucus that is affecting my gag reflex in weird ways. I can't brush my teeth without coughing/gagging and it has made me vomit a few times. It sometimes feels like I'm drowning in the mucus before the gagging starts. (Not always when I brush my teeth; can just happen when I'm driving to work, or whatever...)

I obviously have puking problems :(

herro kitty
11-30-2011, 08:04 AM
If you are full and start walking around/standing/exerting energy, your stomach could be getting cramped up and tense and that could be why you are vomiting. So you should rest at least half an hour to an hour after eating before you exercise/go to a show/walk around :)

For your mucus problem, have you tried taking expectorants like Robitussin? I guess the best thing to do is keep coughing and spitting out your phlegm :)

ThomThom
11-30-2011, 08:43 AM
What is bad about sulfa based drugs? We didn't go into depth about a lot of medications...

My apologies, sulfa and I have never really been good friends but I am allergic to a lot of other antibiotics so I'm forced to take it under many circumstances.

kitt kat
11-30-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a sulfa drug allergy, so maybe you're developing an allergy to it, too?

It's worth looking at; when they first figured out I couldn't take them, it was only after my legs locked up and I couldn't move them. So...yeah.

locachica73
11-30-2011, 10:11 AM
I am allergic to Sulfa, I took it once and my hands swelled up to the size of cartoon hands. I have also taken way too much Cipro throughout my life and I worry that it will eventually stop working and I will be SOL.

TomAz
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
i have an amoxocillin allergy, last time i took it my lips swelled up beyond jagger size.

Goatchella
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Anyone know about those Painful tastebuds?
Once in awhile I get what looks like an inflamed tastebud. Can't see it but it hurts. Then goes away.

ThomThom
11-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone know about those Painful tastebuds?
Once in awhile I get what looks like an inflamed tastebud. Can't see it but it hurts. Then goes away.

The only things I can think of when dealing with a painful tongue that are not trauma related are anemia, some form of a vitamin deficiency, or diabetes. Otherwise you probably just keep experiencing trauma in your taste buds by eating something way too hot or way too acidic.

Do you by any chance grind your teeth a lot? That could be a cause as well but it's a slim chance.

Goatchella
11-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Nah. I'm healthy as a horse. Once in awhile they are like a cold sore and my do for says it's from stress. They hurt worse than anything tho. Really frustrating when you can't even see it and it's right near your tooth.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-30-2011, 11:03 AM
A friend of mine had an extremely terrible run in with Sulfa.

It's a long story but I'll boil it down quickly. In December 2010 she was put on a Sulfa-based antibiotic for a UTI. She started having strange symptoms like rashes, bruising, shortness of breath, etc. After a few weeks of conditions worsening she finally went to an internist and after a battery of tests it was discovered that she had a fairly mysterious auto-immune disease called aplastic anemia, in which the t-cells start attacking the rest of the body's own cells. It's not 100% clear what caused it, but AA is listed as an extremely rare side effect of sulfa allergy, so that's where everyone is pretty much putting the blame.

Anyway, the disease is completely fucking terrible, she needs a bone marrow transplant, goes through chemo-therapy for a while (which sucks), has the transplant in September - Transplant seemingly goes well, then 2 days later a vessel in her brain pops. She has fucking brain surgery, and after her body starts to recover from that she starts to have tons of tiny seizures and is diagnosed with Stage host vs. graft disease, in which her immune system attacks her own organs. She has now been in a medically-induced coma for over 8 weeks.

She is dating a very good friend of mine, and through him, my girlfriend and i became close with her. She's a fucking awesome person, and this year has been extremely hard.

Up until the coma, Katherine was keeping a blog journaling the trials and tribulations of this really crazy disease and gets into a lot of interesting information of how bone marrow transplants work. if anyone is interested in reading it, she meant to share it with everyone:
http://aplasticanemiajournal.wordpress.com

This is a total fucking bummer, but the talk about sulfa brought it up in my mind, and it's something we've been currently dealing with. Her birthday was just 4 days ago.

locachica73
11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Drinky, that is horrible, I can't even imagine. I hate medications. I try very hard not to have to take anything unless absolutely necessary because I fear side effects/weird drug interactions more than whatever it is that is causing me to have to take the meds in the first place.

amyzzz
11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Goat, are you talking about a canker sore? If so, switch mouthwash brands for a while, or start using mouthwash.

Goatchella
11-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Wtf man. All from a UTi. That's why I'm all holistic. My mother almost lost her life from a double dose of antibiotics from the dentist. The mess killed off all her good bacteria in her colon/ lower intestine and she had to have half her lower intestines removed. She is in constant pain, disabled and pretty much fucked.

UTi, drink some cranberry and tough it out. Not worth taking antibiotics for colds and minor infections. Your body will become resistant to things good and bad. A good raw organic diet can help your body built antibodies and protect itself from things ranging from the common cold to cancer.

Goatchella
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Goat, are you talking about a canker sore? If so, switch mouthwash brands for a while, or start using mouthwash.

I don't use mouthwash or any fluoride products. How about hydrogen peroxide and water? Or a sea salt rinse?

amyzzz
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Just use mouthwash.

locachica73
11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
UTi, drink some cranberry and tough it out. Not worth taking antibiotics for colds and minor infections. Your body will become resistant to things good and bad. A good raw organic diet can help your body built antibodies and protect itself from things ranging from the common cold to cancer.

Ahhh if it were just that easy. Cranberry juice will help so you don't get a UTI, but once you get one cranberry juice won't kill the bacteria.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
a UTI can be caused by a variety of many different bacteria too. UTI is just a catch-all name for a bunch of different infections. I had to put a cat down 2 years ago because of a really rare bacterial UTI that was resistant to just about every kind of antibiotic out there. It was fucking terrible.

miscorrections
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, don't fuck around with UTIs. If you get one get on antibiotics 'cause the bacteria can spread to your kidneys and seriously damage them.

Goatchella
11-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Scary shit. Do men get these UTIs too? How can I avoid?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, men do get them. A coworker just had one.

locachica73
11-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Men don't get them as easily because it's a longer distance for the bacteria to travel from end of dick to urinary tract, but it can happen. Just don't stick anything in your pee hole and you should be fine.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
If you get kidney stones, you're extremely likely to get a UTI as well. But yeah, definitely not nearly as common. i have known girls that get them like once or twice a year.

My friend Katherine's situation was an extremely fucked up luck of the draw that just escalated to nightmarish proportions.

TomAz
11-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Just don't stick anything in your pee hole and you should be fine.

uh oh.

locachica73
11-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Or if you do make sure you go pee right after, it can help clean out the hole.

JebusLives
11-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I've had a UTI twice.

And as far as infections are concerned, you do not want to fuck around without antibiotics Goat. I know a guy who had secondary complications from a throat infection requiring a heart transplant (his immune system attacked it). Doctors prescribe antibiotics for very good reasons - its not just so you'll get better quickly.

Taking them for a cold though is fucking retarted. Germ theory: read a book.

miscorrections
11-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Ugh when people take their leftover antibiotics for colds it makes me crazy. 1) You should never have leftovers because you always need to take the full course and 2) colds DON'T COME FROM BACTERIA, MORONS.

TomAz
11-30-2011, 12:25 PM
but Corrinna how are we going to breed superbacteria to destroy humankind if we don't do stuff like that? come on!

locachica73
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I admit, I get frequent UTI's and can't always afford to get into the doc so I have taken other peoples leftover antibiotics. I also occasionally shorten my dose if I catch it in time to get rid of it quickly in order to keep a few on hand for emergencies. I did just find a doctor though that was willing to prescribe me a refill for the next time around. It required a bit of whining but he finally gave in with the promise I would go back to a urologist once my insurance improves.

miscorrections
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Don't do that! ALWAYS finish the antibiotic course, it lessens the amount of resistant bacteria you leave.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, just because you think you have gotten rid of something quickly does not mean that you did.

Also, there are different types of antibiotics for different types of bacteria. you should never use antibiotics that were prescribed to someone else.

locachica73
11-30-2011, 12:52 PM
I know that cipro and microbid are the best for UTI/bladder infections so I stick to those. I know it's a bad habit, but so is not being able to pee without crying once every two months. The doc gave me a stock of cipro & peridian so I am hoping I will be good for awhile. :)

TomAz
11-30-2011, 01:11 PM
cipro is also best for anthrax.

kitt kat
11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Drinkey, so sorry about your friend. Sulfa drugs are EVIL!

MissingPerson
12-31-2011, 06:03 PM
I had pine mouth before. Everything tasted terrible. I had no idea what it was from, but the Internet came to the rescue. It went away after a few days. I now have an irrational fear of pine nuts... and I used to love them so.

So, I've got this, and it's horrible.

Neighborhood Creep
12-31-2011, 06:24 PM
I had a piece of purple lint on the cock this morning. I was worried until I flicked it off

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, since this thread got bumped...

Katherine passed away two days ago. They just simply were not able to treat the graft vs. host disease while she was in a coma, her body was reacting so badly to everything, and she was taken off of life support. Really, really sad. Sorry for the bummer on NYE.

Newro7ic
12-31-2011, 06:34 PM
So, I've got this, and it's horrible.

My condolences. I understand your pain.

Newro7ic
12-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Well, since this thread got bumped...

Katherine passed away two days ago. They just simply were not able to treat the graft vs. host disease while she was in a coma, her body was reacting so badly to everything, and she was taken off of life support. Really, really sad. Sorry for the bummer on NYE.

Sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

MissingPerson
12-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Drinkey, I'm so sorry.

zircona1
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Courtney
01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Aw Andrew, I'm so sorry.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it. It was very strange in that I only knew her for about a year and a half, but she was totally awesome and my friend Breehn was completely in love with her. This past year was so crazy for her and such a whirlwind with this disease and chemo and the transplant, etc. It's all a bit much to digest. She was only 31 too. It's really weird when you have people basically your age pretty close in your life that pass like this.

amyzzz
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, Andrew. *hug*

Sleepingrock
01-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Drinkey.

fatbastard
01-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Damm it Drinkey. I sometimes wonder if this happens to us for some reason.

algunz
01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Sorry, Drinkey.

fatbastard
01-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Did I not just post this comment yesterday? I come into work today and a dude I was talking to around 10AM on Friday died of a heart attack on new year's eve. I mean damm. I told him to have a happy new years and waved bye to him. That was the last time I'll ever see that dude. Damm it. 49 years old.

miscorrections
01-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Eesh. My condolences, everyone.

Barb, I need some illegitimate medical advice. I have this periodic pain in my outer ear - in the folds of the cartilage - that the internet is not terribly helpful about. It feels like my ear is being crushed and there's no consistent trigger that I'm aware of. Over the counter pain meds do not make a difference. I am guessing it's a problem with my trigeminal nerve, maybe it got pinched or is infected somewhere. Have you ever heard of this? Do you know anything that might help? I feel like my doctor is going to derp it up and tell me it's an ear infection even though it has absolutely nothing to do with my middle or inner ear.

Goatchella
01-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I had that feeling once and it turned out to be a pimple or something.
The pain from that part of your ear is killer. Good luck with that.

miscorrections
01-03-2012, 02:16 PM
It's not a pimple, it's been going on for a few weeks with nothing visible or discernible to the touch.

Newro7ic
01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
http://structuredsettlements.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c520753ef014e86d6057a970d-800wi

miscorrections
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
That is the ear canal.

DFrank
01-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Is that a Yerk?

herro kitty
01-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Damn, I'm so sorry Andrew and Henry... The best we can do is appreciate the time we have together :(

Corinna, I've never heard of this before, but I will look in my notes! Has this only started recently? Have you been taking any new medications recently? Is it painful to the point where you can't do anything because of the pain? Do you have any hearing loss or ringing in your ears?

Mr. Dylanja
01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Could it have gotten pinched from sleeping on it?

miscorrections
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
It started maybe a month ago? No new meds, haven't been sleeping any differently. It's not horribly painful, I can definitely function, but it's distracting. No hearing loss or tinnitus, it's exclusively focused on the outer cartilage. In the triangular fossa specifically, if that helps.

kreutz2112
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Is it only in one ear?

miscorrections
01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes.

fatbastard
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I wonder if licking and blowing the other one would help.

kreutz2112
01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
second google result for "outer ear pain". Sounds like what you're describing, although they say their pain is severe. Pain is subjective though. Maybe you're just a trooper.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/cold-and-flu-exchange/forum/45

Hannahrain
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I can't believe we're indulging this ridiculous charade. The whore has an obvious case of ear chlamydia. Plain and simple.

kreutz2112
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Chlameardia

Hannahrain
01-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Sounds like something somebody somewhere's a baron of.

fatbastard
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds like someone needs to be nominated for the board's smallest penis.

MissingPerson
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Just saw an ad for Hands Only CPR. Seems to be the cool new kind of CPR.

Is there any practical reason for Hands Only to be favoured over Mouth to Mouth, or are people just more likely to try performing it in an emergency?

algunz
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
And you do it to the rhythm of Stayin' Alive.

koryp
01-06-2012, 06:29 PM

Is there any practical reason for Hands Only to be favoured over Mouth to Mouth, or are people just more likely to try performing it in an emergency?

Studies showed most people sucked at doing both effectively, so we changed it to just one thing to do at a time. The planned update for 2016 has the first responder just basically standing around until an ambulance arrives. That way everyone can do CPR and feel good about themselves.

herro kitty
01-08-2012, 12:18 PM

I think people weren't willing to go M2M on a stranger and chances are that they weren't carrying pocket breath masks thingys so the people in charge of these things decided to have first responders concentrate on getting the chest compressions in correctly...

I made all that up, but it sounds right :)

MissingPerson
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
It made me curious, so I went looking, and y'all are both right.

People are more confident about charging in and doing something without the M2M element, and if they aren't trained to do rescue breaths effectively, they're just going to waste time they could be doing compressions.

koryp
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Droppin nursie knowledge. ;)

I didn't make mine up, I'm an instructor.

guedita
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Why do I wake up with a lot of dried mucus (boogers) in my nose after a night of drinking beer, and specifically after a night of drinking shitty beer?

MissingPerson
01-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Droppin nursie knowledge. ;)

I didn't make mine up, I'm an instructor.

I figured, I was just curious about it. I had to do a bunch of combat first aid stuff when I was in the army reserve many moons ago, and there was an awful lot of emphasis put on the first breath. We had the benefit of RescusiAndy to learn how to do it right though I guess, whereas the ad campaign is just telling people.

The ad's brilliant, btw -

JR0aZX1_TD8

koryp
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Beautiful vid, but my fear is "hard and fast" will result in people with chest that feel like you're breaking celery in a bag of jello during compressions.

Courtney
01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Ha. That's a great video.

I took a first aid and CPR class at the Red Cross a year or two ago, and they did teach us to alternate chest compressions with mouth to mouth, Baywatch style.

fatbastard
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Cosmetic advice or future ear problems?

My barber stuck his finger in my ear after a haircut last week and twisted his finger up and down laughing. I was like, what? He tells me that hair is starting to grow in my ears.

Question, is it OK to trim/shave or just leave it alone? If it's trimmed/shaved, will it grow back thicker?

Courtney
01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
This sounds like a question for The Gentlemen Thread (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29522).

TomAz
01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Fb, trim it or look like an old man. your choice.

also, your barber's a dick.

Courtney
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I had some pork in my fridge that was on the edge of smelling a little funky. So I smothered it in sesame oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, chile and ginger and cooked it up with some choy sum, sliced rice cake and scallions.

It occured to me after finishing dinner that there's a reason the human body thinks old meat smells bad. Am I going to die?

koryp
01-08-2012, 08:06 PM
We'll let you know in the morning...

Shaxspear
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Beautiful vid, but my fear is "hard and fast" will result in people with chest that feel like you're breaking celery in a bag of jello during compressions.

It's not uncommon to break ribs when doing proper compressions.

algunz
01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I'd rather have a few broken ribs than be dead.

koryp
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't really care about the patients one way or the other, it just grosses me out every time hear that squishy crunchy sound during a code.

algunz
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
You have to care a little.

koryp
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
You have to care a little.

not a job requirement

algunz
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I can imagine you have to eventually be desensitized.

koryp
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
I can imagine you have to eventually be desensitized.

WINNER! See what you have to look forward to Barb. Good luck at your first position and congrats on joining our hallowed ranks. I'll be rooting for ya.

Shaxspear
01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
People who don't get desensitized do not last long in the field. I used to work with a girl who could remember the names of every patient that she had lost. She's been on stress leave for over a year now.

Courtney
01-08-2012, 11:27 PM
If anything, I would think that a little desensitization would work to your advantage. I mean, if you're dealing with a life-or-death situation, and you're too focused on the OH-SHIT-THIS-PERSON-IS-GOING-TO-CROAK-AND-IT-WILL-BE-MY-FAULT, you're not going to be too distracted and not giving the patient the best care.

herro kitty
01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Ribs will be cracked. That's why it's important to tell super old people about DNR... So they don't have to try to live with broken ribs at 95 after they come back from a cardiac arrest.

What do you do, koryp? Are you a nurse too??

Courtney, you have 7 days to live. It was nice knowing you :'(

I am a little worried because I am pretty sociable and like to make friends with everybody. I'm sure I'll get used to deaths soon enough.

koryp
01-09-2012, 06:52 AM
BSN with all that alphebet soup we get over the years. You will get used to deaths Barb. It's just part of the journey of life and can be just as beautiful as birth if prepared for and supported by those present. It can also be horrific and unfair, but 31 flavors and all. What kind of a setting are you starting out in?

I'm in at least 3 codes a week and ribs maybe get broken once a week around me. Its almost always the result of compressions done too rapidly on the downstroke(not a 50/50 stroke), done over the wrong location, or done too deeply. Still better than no compressions at all.

Goatchella
01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Shitty beer made from shitty grains... Hella glutens. Glutens cause mucus.

Dont drink shitty beer

Courtney
01-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Barb, I have a weird thing on my decolletage. It's like a little oval of raised, red shiny skin, sort of like a scar that is healing. But it has been there for several months now and has not gone away. It is about an eighth of an inch in diameter, and has remained consistent in color, shape and size since it appeared. It does not itch.

1) What is it?
2) Am I dying?
3) If I am dying, how long do I have to live?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6793612741_379282354e_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6793611971_5eaf39944a_z.jpg

ThatGirl
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow I thought my lame little resume thread was offering valuable advice until I saw this thread. Damn.

herro kitty
02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Darn!! Courtney, show me again! I haven't checked the site because it was down for a while, but I'll look now!!

Courtney
02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Oh! I don't know what happened. Let me take another photo right now.

Courtney
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
I remember what happened. I deleted because it was sort of gratuitous cleavage. But here is new gratuitous cleavage. Happy V Day. Also, the thing has started getting really itchy. I'm sort of worried it's melanoma or something. The button is 1.5 inches in diameter, to give you scale.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6878400303_b1d7f2e0ff_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/6878401305_4f91207972_b.jpg

herro kitty
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
It sorta looks like ringworm. Has it gotten larger in size at all? Try putting some athlete's foot cream on it.

Courtney
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Eeeeek. No it has not gotten larger in size. It is the same size, same color, and same shape since it first appeared. Except now it's itchy too.

MissingPerson
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Ringworm would probably have spread a bit flatter and wider though, wouldn't it? And if it's been a couple of months, it probably would have spread around to other patches?

Hey, if it is ringworm I know a guy said to have the miraculous power to cure it. Just so you know.

OnlyNonStranger
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
I've only ever seen ringworm on dogs but I don't think that's it.

Courtney
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't know guys, I just googled and it really sounds like this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001827/

Basal cell carcinoma may look only slightly different than normal skin. The cancer may appear as skin bump or growth that is:

Pearly or waxy

White or light pink

Flesh-colored or brown

In some cases the skin may be just slightly raised or even flat.

You may have:

A skin sore that bleeds easily

A sore that does not heal

Oozing or crusting spots in a sore

Appearance of a scar-like sore without having injured the area

Irregular blood vessels in or around the spot

A sore with a depressed (sunken) area in the middle

OnlyNonStranger
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
You should probably consult a doctor before telling yourself that you have cancer. That's why they get paid the big bucks.

MissingPerson
02-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Teeny tiny sebaceous cyst?

Courtney
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Ha, Warren yes as soon as I saw that list of symptoms, I called my doctor. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning at 10am. My family has a history of skin cancer, and I have spent the better part of my life living in the tropics, so I am super paranoid.

koryp
02-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree with the MD visit Courtney, especially if you can see a decent dermatologist due to your family history. Unless you've been breast stroking in a preschool sandbox, I think it is probably just a mild folliculitis from a generic staph. That'll clear up easy with some cream. You will be told to "put the balm on it". Unless it is cancer, or spontaneous external clone graft, or a government experiment, or a pimple.

herro kitty
02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
I just realized that I had something similar to this on my calf during Coachella of last year, and I saw that it was still not completely healed in August! But now it's healed up but has a small scar. I didn't do anything to it though.

So basically, what koryp said. :)

Courtney
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
I just got back from my PCP (I'm on HMO, so I have to see him first for everything). He said that it's not melanoma, but it could be squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell carcinoma. He also said something about a rat bite. But I'm not sure if that's some sort of medical jargon, or if he actually was saying that a rat bit me.

He referred me to a dermatologist for a biopsy.

Stickjohn
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Yay for no melanoma! And you don't sound paranoid you sound smart.

koryp
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Did you say anything to lead him to believe you may have been snuggling with rodents? Glad you are seeing a dermatologist. Truth be told most other practitioners don't delve too far into dermatological problems. There are simply too many differential diagnosis to remember and since few of them are immediately life threatening, we can send you down to the geeky kid with glasses and the textbook of skin bugs to figure that stuff out. Good luck Courtney.

Barb, how goes the Nursie orientation? Exciting? Scary? Underwhelming?

Courtney
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Ha, I am pretty sure "rat bite" was a description of how it looked. Or at least, I'm hoping that's what he meant. I have not encountered any rodents recently, and especially not rodents on my decolletage.

I hope the dermatologist doesn't want to do a "skin map" on me. I had a guy in LA that did that, and having someone spend the better part of an hour mapping every single freckle on every inch of your body from your scalp to your butt crack is kind of not very awesome.

NachoCat
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
You are awfully white for living in hawaii. LEAVE THE COMPUTER NOW

koryp
02-15-2012, 03:00 PM
This "skin map" sounds a little like a "free candy" scheme. Maybe I'm just suspicious by nature. Fuck it he's got a diploma, must be legit.

Courtney
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Hhaaa. I know Kory. I researched it and I guess it's pretty legit. But I still asked to have an observer the room for the whole thing, because the doctor sort of skeeved me out.

Somewhere in the archived patient files of the USC Medical Center, there is an envelope full of photos of every single inch of my skin along with annotations of color, size and placement of each freckle. That's not creepy or anything. Really.

koryp
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Lulz. Uncomfortable Lulz.

amyzzz
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I keep putting off getting the obligatory skin cancer check for that reason but I suppose I should do it soon. I don't relish the idea of someone looking at my skin that closely. Damn my sunny state.

herro kitty
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Hey kory, I am taking my NCLEX next fucking Wednesday. I'm shitting my pants because I am forgetting everything. I'm trying to study.. but there's so much. I am pretty much fainting in fear. Sigh. I signed up for an online review thing from the NBCSN and have been doing questions on that... but I don't know if I'm ready. What do you think? :(

TomAz
02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
He thinks you should quit being such a pussy.

oops i mean HI BARB

dekelou
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I just got back from my PCP (I'm on HMO, so I have to see him first for everything). He said that it's not melanoma, but it could be squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell carcinoma. He also said something about a rat bite. But I'm not sure if that's some sort of medical jargon, or if he actually was saying that a rat bit me.

He referred me to a dermatologist for a biopsy.

Just discovered this thread...being a (ahem) doctor myself, a simple shave biopsy (just like it sounds) should be able to rule out basal cell. Although it is in a normally sun exposed area, your chances of it being something malignant are not that high even with a family history. It's more than likely a small cyst or minor infection around a hair follicle, but a biopsy is still a smart idea. Hope it goes well.

(insert statement releasing liability regarding providing medical advice on the internet)

Courtney
02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Yesssss more medical professionals. I love this thread.

Thanks dekelou. I have had an irregular mole biopsied before, so I'm not super super freaked out, but I will definitely feel much better once this is all sorted out. The joys of being of Irish heritage and living in warm, sunny cities.

yardbird
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Am I the only one who had to look up decolletage? :(

herro kitty
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
You're of Irish heritage, Court? How sexy~ :) Do you wear sunblock like crazy and hats and stuff?

Stickjohn
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Am I the only one who had to look up decolletage? :(
No. It sounded like an art project to me.

koryp
02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey kory, I am taking my NCLEX next fucking Wednesday. I'm shitting my pants because I am forgetting everything. I'm trying to study.. but there's so much. I am pretty much fainting in fear. Sigh. I signed up for an online review thing from the NBCSN and have been doing questions on that... but I don't know if I'm ready. What do you think? :(

I've been precepting a lot of RNA's lately that swear by Frye's 3300 Nursing Bullets for NCLEX prep. I've seen all the different books and classes offered lately and I'd endorse it. Instead of crazy ass multiple choice questions, it gives concise statements of fact concerning appropriate nursing practice. So in honor of such a functional and intelligent design for transferring knowledge I will respond to your concerns in bullet format.

No matter how prepared you are, you will be nervous unless you are high for the test(I was high, not nervous at all)
Test preps are rarely a waste of time unless they are teaching lies.
If you managed to graduate from an accredited school, you have been exposed to all the correct answers.
It's not a performance evaluation, it's only a pass/fail situation. Don't try to "set the curve" just pass the damn thing"
Don't try to learn it all perfectly, learn the basics and trust your knowledge during the test
At this stage of the game, test taking skills and effective breathing will help more than any cramming
You will do fine, the computer will shut off after 75 questions because it will know you have made it your bitch!

herro kitty
02-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Fuck. It's too late to buy it online. I'll try to find it at Borders or something.

I am just hoping to pass with 200 questions. We'll see. Meep.

And TOM! I'm just legitimately concerned about my future. I'm not a pussy :(

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I finally had a cyst on my finger that I've had for over 3 years looked at. i was told it was a cyst. I did get a rec for a hand surgeon though, so I'll probably get a consultation soon just to get his opinion on it and see how much it costs to get removed.

koryp
02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I will remove it for free by my new mail order scary skin growth removal service. You must however cover all shipping and handling. Either send me the affected body part and I will remove the unwanted section and ship it back to you, or ship the attached limb, and me to a neutral non Geneva convention participating country for the "body modification".

Courtney
02-17-2012, 03:25 PM
You're of Irish heritage, Court? How sexy~ :) Do you wear sunblock like crazy and hats and stuff?

Ha, I have never been told that Irish heritage is sexy. Now, folks with Irish accents on the other hand...

And yeah, I'm all about the sunscreen. Hence being way pale despite living in Hawaii :)

No. It sounded like an art project to me.

Close enough. Decollatage/decoupage.

Courtney
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
And just an update: I went in yesterday to the dermatologist and he shot up the area with stuff to numb it out, and then did a shave biopsy. My sample is getting sent to some lab on the mainland to get tested, so I'll know in 5-7 days whether it was basal cell carcinoma or just a wart. Which he told me is another possibility.

So now I have a hole in my chest that I am supposed to wash daily with mild soap, pat dry, and then lube up with a dollop of vaseline and cover with a bandage. Dude said that vaseline is better than first aid ointment -- who knew.

romanticizer
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Good luck, Courtney!

I already have a ton of diagnosis, but if one comes up, I will post it here.

dekelou
02-20-2012, 06:48 AM
I have my patients use antibiotic ointment, but the key is keeping open wounds moist, not letting them dry out. I don't recommend vaseline mostly b/c I have no idea what else they've been using their gallon tub of lube for... As far as your biopsy, worse case scenario is an excision with a 1cm margin and closure. I'd highly recommend having a plastic surgeon do that one for that area. Or decolletage. Whatever.

RedHotSgtPeppers
02-20-2012, 07:48 AM
What is everyone's best medical advice on making sure a tattoo heals properly? I got mine 6 days ago, and I used Aquaphor for the first 4 or 5 days, and unscented lotion for the other 2 days. It's barely scabbing up now and it's really itchy (I'm not scratching it, don't worry.) I've kept it clean this whole time, washing it every day when I take a shower.

Courtney
02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I have my patients use antibiotic ointment, but the key is keeping open wounds moist, not letting them dry out. I don't recommend vaseline mostly b/c I have no idea what else they've been using their gallon tub of lube for... As far as your biopsy, worse case scenario is an excision with a 1cm margin and closure. I'd highly recommend having a plastic surgeon do that one for that area. Or decolletage. Whatever.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually considered asking for a plastic surgeon for the biopsy, because it's such a visible area (well, at least for me, because I pretty much only wear clothing that shows off cleavage - ha). But I was feeling worried about it and just wanted it done right there and then. I expect it will scar a bit, but I hope the scar will fade in a year or two.

And oh man your vaseline comment made me laugh. Thankfully, I have one of those little mini tubs and previously have only used it when attempting to deep-super-moisturize my lips, so I think it's pretty safe. Although I did scrape off the top layer before putting anything on my wound, just in case.

Right now my only problem is that I find that the adhesive from the bandages is irritating the skin surrounding the wound. I've just been using standard Band-Aid brand large size bandaids, but I guess it's a pretty delicate area. I did some googling, and it seems like "Curad Sensitive Skin Bandages" might work, so I'll try to pick some of those up from the drug store today.

Courtney
02-20-2012, 11:15 AM
What is everyone's best medical advice on making sure a tattoo heals properly? I got mine 6 days ago, and I used Aquaphor for the first 4 or 5 days, and unscented lotion for the other 2 days. It's barely scabbing up now and it's really itchy (I'm not scratching it, don't worry.) I've kept it clean this whole time, washing it every day when I take a shower.

I don't know a lot about tattoos because I have never had one, but from my understand that's pretty much exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

dekelou
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
you're right on the money, RHSP

Courtney- the issue with the bandages is...wait for it...irritating, but experimenting with various brands may help. Alot of my patients with adhesive problems do best with gauze and paper tape.
With your biopsy site, sunburning it will definitely make it worse, so keeping extra sun block on it for a long time (read: months) is a good idea. Just make sure to have some extra at the polo fields this year. If it ends up needing a full excision, the plastic surgeon thing is key, as god forbid it is something bad, removing it is still a medical necessity and is covered by insurance. Rather as well have the meticulous surgeon do it rather than your pcp or derm. If you are looking for a scar revision down the road, it's out of pocket for sure.

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
anyone happen to have experience with superior hypogastric plexus injections to block nerves that cause pain, such as endometriosis and interstitial cystitis? i'm getting one tomorrow and i'm scared as all fuck since i can't take the time off to be sedated.

Courtney
02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
So it actually IS basal cell carcinoma. So glad I got it checked.

marooko
02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Skin conditions: Anyone an internet expert on them?

RedHotSgtPeppers
02-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Holy shit. How bad is that?

herro kitty
02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Ahhh, Ivy and Courtney... I wish I knew more for you two :(

Ivy, I'm guessing they will just use a local anesthetic for your shot, so hopefully it isn't too painful. If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask about anything you're worried about!

Courtney, I'm glad you are in tune with your body and figured out that something was up. I am sending positive thoughts your way. I love you very much!!

dekelou
02-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Sorry to hear that, Courtney. Overall, basal cell is pretty easily handled/cured. Usually treatment is with a one centimeter margin around the edge of the tumor, and they should be able to put you back together pretty easily. There are some potential topical medications (read: creamy stuff) that are gaining popularity, but I'm not familiar with how effective or long lasting the results are. If it were up to me, a curved excision along your decolletage (along the circumference of your breast) should limit its noticeability in the long haul, and it should heal well without too much scarring. As long as the entire thing is removed you shouldn't have to worry about it ever again. I guess it's time to look for some plastic surgeons in your area. Don't fret- although it sucks that you have it, it's easily treated and the success rate is extremely high.

DFrank
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Oh hey. I tried looking on WebMD but it always leads to cancer, which im hoping its not. I have a very sensitive spot on my cheek bone (on my face), whenever i touch it, even barely, it hurts a lot. Please, save my life

-Patient #231

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Ahhh, Ivy and Courtney... I wish I knew more for you two :(

Ivy, I'm guessing they will just use a local anesthetic for your shot, so hopefully it isn't too painful. If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask about anything you're worried about!

Courtney, I'm glad you are in tune with your body and figured out that something was up. I am sending positive thoughts your way. I love you very much!!

local anesthetic. they do give you the option to be sedated, but i declined. i can't take any time off work.

and courtney, i'm so sorry to hear :( but glad you got it checked out. hopefully you can get this resolved quickly; but remember to take things one day at a time <3

gaypalmsprings
02-23-2012, 05:07 AM
I have to get my first colonoscopy next month. Any suggestions? Is it as bad as it sounds?

http://www.boomrbill.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/COLONOSCOPY.jpg

marooko
02-23-2012, 05:46 AM
So no skin help, eh? Thank you.

ThatGirl
02-23-2012, 06:18 AM

SO glad you did too!

locachica73
02-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Courtney, glad you got it early! You will be fine! :)

GPS, they aren't as bad now that they knock you out. Be glad it's not the early 90's where you were awake for the procedure.

Marooko, I have had excema all my life, it doesn't make me an expert though, just a bit scaley.

RedHotSgtPeppers
02-23-2012, 07:16 AM
R U A LIZARD

dekelou
02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Skin conditions: Anyone an internet expert on them?

something specific you had in mind?

herro kitty
02-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Hey dekelou... I'm not very familiar with drugs so I was hoping I could get some advice.

My mom has high blood pressure is currently on verapamil 120mg daily. She takes it once a day, in the morning. But at night, around midnight to 2am, she gets really dizzy and has a big headache and when I check her blood pressure, it's back up to like 135/86... I have to admit that it's probably because I don't come home until 2am and she gets so worried that she tries to give her a heart attack until I get home. Sigh. But anyway, would it be ok to take another dose that evening to lower her bp? Or is there any way to help with the dizziness? I know uncontrolled HTN is the #1 cause of a stroke... and I don't want that to happen...

But I don't want to fucking come home early either, because she'll push and push and before I know it, I will be home and in bed by 9pm.

dekelou
02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey dekelou... I'm not very familiar with drugs so I was hoping I could get some advice.

My mom has high blood pressure is currently on verapamil 120mg daily. She takes it once a day, in the morning. But at night, around midnight to 2am, she gets really dizzy and has a big headache and when I check her blood pressure, it's back up to like 135/86... I have to admit that it's probably because I don't come home until 2am and she gets so worried that she tries to give her a heart attack until I get home. Sigh. But anyway, would it be ok to take another dose that evening to lower her bp? Or is there any way to help with the dizziness? I know uncontrolled HTN is the #1 cause of a stroke... and I don't want that to happen...

BTW, love your name, it was the name of my fantasy football team this year.

It's not uncommon for blood pressure medications to be given twice a day for better overall control. Her symptoms could be the result of her BP, but 136/86 isn't that high where most people would become symptomatic like that, but that diastolic isn't really low either. Sounds like your mom should check with her PCP again, if she's getting some symptoms at night she would probably benefit from an additional dose or perhaps a different medication for her HTN. With the anxiety and stuff, I can definitely see that as a potential cause for her issues also.

And what are you doing out until 2AM anyways? Are you and those meddling kids out solving crimes again?!?

herro kitty
02-24-2012, 05:17 PM
My mom's doctor is this... 89 y/o dude who has no idea what's going on anymore. I'm gonna try to find her a new one. I figured that she may need either a different dosage or a different medication... sigh. In the morning, before her dose, her bp is like 140/98 sometimes! She's only 62 too... blarg.

Thanks for the info!!! What specialty are you in?

Mugwog
02-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Does stress/flipped sleep schedule have the potential to cause rashes/hives to appear? I've been doing all nighter shoots and been breaking out randomly with the worst itchy hives in random areas of the body. Best solution for hives as opposed to scratching my skin off?

dekelou
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Does stress/flipped sleep schedule have the potential to cause rashes/hives to appear? I've been doing all nighter shoots and been breaking out randomly with the worst itchy hives in random areas of the body. Best solution for hives as opposed to scratching my skin off?

I'm not a dermatologist, but stress can cause hives. Try starting with an over the counter antihistamine. If that doesn't do it, then I'd seek help from a derm or family physician.

dekelou
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
My mom's doctor is this... 89 y/o dude who has no idea what's going on anymore. I'm gonna try to find her a new one. I figured that she may need either a different dosage or a different medication... sigh. In the morning, before her dose, her bp is like 140/98 sometimes! She's only 62 too... blarg.

Thanks for the info!!! What specialty are you in?

Sounds like it's time to find a new PCP. Yeah, that diastolic up to 98 is pretty high. As far as my specialty, I'm a surgeon. Good luck with your mom. Sounds like she definitely needs some change in her meds.

Mugwog
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm not a dermatologist, but stress can cause hives. Try starting with an over the counter antihistamine. If that doesn't do it, then I'd seek help from a derm or family physician.

Glad to hear from a few folks it's stress and not some fucked up infection. Was doing a scene where I was on a bathroom floor and thought I picked up something nasty.

chairmenmeow47
02-28-2012, 05:12 PM
i woke up this morning with a weird mark on my upper middle back, just below my neck. it's a small circle; like the size of a hole punch. it was red and looked like a small open wound. i wasn't bleeding, but it was irritating to the touch. i've got a band-aid on it now. this happened somehow in my sleep. any thoughts?

dekelou
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
i woke up this morning with a weird mark on my upper middle back, just below my neck. it's a small circle; like the size of a hole punch. it was red and looked like a small open wound. i wasn't bleeding, but it was irritating to the touch. i've got a band-aid on it now. this happened somehow in my sleep. any thoughts?

Sounds like the right time for the generic "it's a spider bite" quote here, but the thought of which is terrifying to me since I am totally arachnophobic. Likely something bit you. Just keep some neosporin on it. If you were one of the lucky ones to buy the 55gal drum of lube from the nexttimeyoutrytolookhot thread, I suppose you could try a dab of that too.

herro kitty
02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Show us a picture, Ivy!

And I'm not sure if you know yet.... but I just passed the NCLEX last Wednesday! I am officially a registered nurse in California~~ Yay~~~ Happy days~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Courtney
02-28-2012, 06:27 PM
YAY BARB YAY BARB YAY

chairmenmeow47
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, BARB!!!!!!!!!!!!

and let me be your first patient. i hope it's not a spider bite, but that would obvioiusly make the most sense. i'm keeping neosporin on it, just so strange!

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/909105-2/2012-02-28_20-38-42_836.jpg