PDA

View Full Version : DJ Shadow @ Music Box, Oct. 23rd

Brochella
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Haven't seen him since Coachella in 07. Gotta see what this Shadowsphere business is all about, after all. Anybody else going?

tmac
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
i will if i come into some money. i need myself a j-o-b

Brochella
10-11-2011, 03:11 PM
For real, I had enough $$$ for one show this month other than HHM so I'm going with this one. Gotta show the Shad-man some love.

thom cobain
10-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm in. It's been a while and the new album is dope. Should be good.

venturas90sgirl
10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
i will if i come into some money. i need myself a j-o-b

Word! Right there with you. Alas I'm still getting a ticket. Add to my late October show run. And Music Box tickets aren't super expensive.

tmac
10-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Just won tickets. Fuck yes!! Can't wait to see the shadowsphere

Distorted_Jungle
10-21-2011, 12:42 PM
This will be my 3rd Shadowsphere show and I couldn't be more excited. While I did love the heavy drum n bass influence the last time he came around with the shadowsphere, I'm hoping this time it's more originals melted together than the last time. Either way though, should be an amazing show.

moviebruin
10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Gaslamp Killer is the opener for this. Not bad.

thom cobain
10-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Hey all. I have two tickets for tonights show. They are GA Floor and are selling for face value, that's $40 each with fees. PM me if interested.

ivankay
10-23-2011, 03:38 PM
gvinternsrule
From the GV Forum for upcoming shows (Gaslamp Killer should be 9:30 I'll wager):

Re: Set times
10/23 @ Music Box
DJ Shadow 10:00pm
Gaslamp Killer 8:30pm
Shadow Radio 9:30pm

tmac
10-23-2011, 11:50 PM
wow i am so happy i won tickets to this. loved the show. the shadowsphere is awesome and his scratching in the beginning portion of the set was amazing. hope to see this at coachella.

Distorted_Jungle
10-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Gaslamp Killer is a joke, Shadow is a fuckin beast!

TheRotten42
10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
DJ Shadow is doing a set at Amoeba Hollywood tonight.

moviebruin
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Great show. So glad decided to go last minute. That Stratosphere show is really underrated. It's pretty disjointed in parts. But, I don't believe it didnt even sellout the Music Box. I know he already did it at the HOB last halloween but come on. I think he mentioned this is prob the last time we'll see it before he retires it. His dig at celebrity djs that dont actually dj was pretty funny.

thom cobain
10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Sorry i missed it. Glad you all had fun.

CrystalCastlesFreak
10-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I saw his set at The Catalyst in Santa Cruz a few days ago. He rocked it, but wish it was longer than 90 minutes.

tmac
10-24-2011, 11:50 AM
loved all of his talking during the show. the intro/explanation was great and his hating on pop dj's was really funny.

crazzz2007
10-24-2011, 12:29 PM
shadow was so ridiculously great last night.

and they've pretty much perfected that sphere. it was way better than when i saw it last year.

trendski
10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
just uploaded my first footage of the last performance...
__Z6Q6ofnJM

Distorted_Jungle
10-25-2011, 08:34 AM
shadow was so ridiculously great last night.

and they've pretty much perfected that sphere. it was way better than when i saw it last year.

I personally felt last years show was better. There were some changes to the visual show I didn't think looked as clean. Plus I felt musically last years set was better, mainly because there was no shitty dubstep track in the middle of the set. The druming that he did this time around was really sick though, i wish he would have done that on the last tour.

Brochella
10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Awesome, awesome, awesome.

First time seeing the Shadowsphere, and I agree that his show is essentially pretty underrated. Visually, some of the most creative, clean, engaging work I've ever seen. Musically, rock solid, consistently interesting and enjoyable. Good mix of old and new. "I Gotta Rokk" was a high point for me, especially with his live drumming.

Really liked his occasional interjections where he came out and engaged the audience. I usually hate it when DJs spend too much time on the mic, but with Shadow it seemed real and appropriate.

Anyway, I'm really glad I went.

crazzz2007
10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I personally felt last years show was better. There were some changes to the visual show I didn't think looked as clean. Plus I felt musically last years set was better, mainly because there was no shitty dubstep track in the middle of the set. The druming that he did this time around was really sick though, i wish he would have done that on the last tour.

Did you go to the Anaheim show last year or the LA show?

I went to Anaheim and I hate that venue, so I think that played a part in why I enjoyed the show this week a lot more. I also thought there was a lot more variety in the tracks he played this year which really represented his career a lot better than what he played last year.

Distorted_Jungle
10-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Did you go to the Anaheim show last year or the LA show?

I went to Anaheim and I hate that venue, so I think that played a part in why I enjoyed the show this week a lot more. I also thought there was a lot more variety in the tracks he played this year which really represented his career a lot better than what he played last year.

I went to both the LA and the Anaheim show last year. I personally have the anaheim show on DVD and have seen it more times than most people so I don't agree with the variety of music opinion. This time around there was still just as much drum n bass, just as much of the tracks in there original form and a tiny section in the middle I did not like very much personally. There was not one point in the whole set last year I stood still and I stood still for an entire song almost this time around. There were elements that weren't there last year that I did love this time around, but all around I enjoyed last years show better. It just comes down to preference I guess, I also had a crowd of about 7-8 fuck tards next to me yapping away and being super sloppy and childish this time around.

crazzz2007
10-25-2011, 02:29 PM
I went to both the LA and the Anaheim show last year. I personally have the anaheim show on DVD and have seen it more times than most people so I don't agree with the variety of music opinion. This time around there was still just as much drum n bass, just as much of the tracks in there original form and a tiny section in the middle I did not like very much personally. There was not one point in the whole set last year I stood still and I stood still for an entire song almost this time around. There were elements that weren't there last year that I did love this time around, but all around I enjoyed last years show better. It just comes down to preference I guess, I also had a crowd of about 7-8 fuck tards next to me yapping away and being super sloppy and childish this time around.

Ya I had to move twice to avoid a talking couple and a making-out couple.

tmac
10-25-2011, 03:29 PM
yup there was a gigantic asshole right in front of me as well. seems to be the case at about every music box show unfortunately. the dubstep surprised me and i can safely say that it was my least favorite part of the performance. still had a great time though

Brochella
10-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Aren't there a few dubsteppy tracks on the new album? Shouldn't be that much of a shock.

As for the people, me and my friends decide to watch from the 2nd level. Never done that before at the Fonda, but it was a great call.

trendski
10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
part 2 of 2... sorry a little crooked and offside, was already a bit tipsy

gYc20ecN5Rc

unknown
10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Gaslamp Killer is a joke, Shadow is a fuckin beast!

Thank you. This is why we are friends.

And did anyone get to witness your crazy man face when the dnb break in Six Days DROPPED? raaaaaaaar you were about to murder someone.

Wheres the beef?
10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
part 2 of 2... sorry a little crooked and offside, was already a bit tipsy

gYc20ecN5Rc

Eh. My videos are better.

Distorted_Jungle
10-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Thank you. This is why we are friends.

And did anyone get to witness your crazy man face when the dnb break in Six Days DROPPED? raaaaaaaar you were about to murder someone.

Haha, one of the many reasons we are friends. You should have seen this show Lilia, spent majority of his time hoping around stage and acting like a fool with 0 effort put toward the mix. A complete fucking joke of a set.

The murder ball bassface did not come out this time, haha. Right when the intro to that section of the set with silver balls coming out of the sand started I was jumping for joy though because I knew what was coming. Rest assured I was getting the fuck down, but hearing it the first time last year sent me into maniac mode haha.

Eh. My videos are better.

Greatest post of 2011! For me at least, haha.

ivankay
10-29-2011, 05:16 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6120/6292887637_afea029d10_b.jpg