PDA

View Full Version : Dallas, TX

buddy
10-06-2011, 10:46 AM
dallas people i might get offered a great job opportunity there, and i've never been. if someone from there could possibly run through some pros and cons. i'm use to really hot, dry heat, if that's what you have there, and the shows would be an upgrade. anything else i should know. i've heard cost of living is pretty cheap.

TomAz
10-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Dallas is the shithole to end all shitholes. Everything bad you may have ever heard about Texas is true, but even worse, in Dallas. It is an openly racist southern baptist superficial soulless festering eyesore.

menikmati
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
You'll be surrounded by Cowboys fans. Don't go.

TomAz
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
You'll be surrounded by people who think Jerry Jones' facelifts make perfect sense.

CrimesceneCookie
10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I've hated Dallas every time I've been there.
Depressing, featureless and boring. Oh, and in case you forget you're in Texas you'll see lots of restaurant signs shaped like cowboy boots or bull horns.

Pixiessp
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I liked Dallas when I was there. It was only for a weekend and it wasn't hot.

captncrzy
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Becca and Andy live there. That should be of some help.

nathanfairchild
10-06-2011, 11:02 AM
i'm there a lot for a number of reasons. not a fan.

as far as texas goes, austin is pretty much the only tolerable place.

Mr. Dylanja
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Tony Romo will dictate your emotional well being.

jackstraw94086
10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I had to take trips to dallas for work a few years ago. there was no downtown scene to speak of. Deep Ellem was a tourist trap. Everyone seemed to hang out in north dallas which was a soulless strip of TGIFs and Hooters. The SMU kids are fucking intollerable.

Fucking hot too.

rskapcat
10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Fort Worth is generally where you will see the cowboy hats and whatnot. I like Dallas. And we do get decent shows.

We live in a suburb between Dallas and Fort Worth. It's fine. I like being near my parents and I have a well-paying job I'm never allowed to leave (per the husband), so we're here for the long haul.

It is the opposite of dry heat here. Very humid in the summer. Winters are generally not too bad...we get maybe one or two ice storms a year, if that.

guedita
10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm visiting Dallas in November!!!!!

jackstraw94086
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
remove 5 exclamations points from that sentence.

guedita
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
The exclamations are for Becca and her cats and also the percocet I'm on.

Mr. Dylanja
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Nothing like being on a perky set.

jackstraw94086
10-06-2011, 12:51 PM
The exclamations are for Becca and her cats and also the percocet I'm on.

then you can have back one exclamation for both of those. Dallas doesn't merit any any on its own.

york707
10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Dallas is sure as fuck better than Houston.

OnlyNonStranger
10-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Dallas is a pretty liberal city. For Texas anyway. It has good food, an art scene, and a lot of bands stop there on their way to Austin. Not to mention you can get literally anywhere from the DFW airport.

And it sure is fucking better than Houston.

guedita
10-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Okay, recommend to me the one thing that is worthwhile to visit/see/do in Dallas.

OnlyNonStranger
10-07-2011, 07:32 PM
You could go check out where Kennedy got shot, or go to the Aquarium. Oak Lawn is a neighborhood to definitely check out. Though the one thing that I would do in Dallas is go to Denton.

york707
10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
eat. drink. repeat.

tigermilkboy
10-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I first went to Dallas (and the US) in the early 80's and it was eye-opening. I remember arriving at the airport and seeing all these cowboy hat wearing, gun toting men.
More recently I had to stay there for a few days. The city I found quite dull and forgettable.

My advice is take the job and try the location. Save as much money as possible and if after a year or two you hate it you can always move. Nothing worse moving to a city, hating it and stuck there for economic reasons.

tigermilkboy
10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
And it sure is fucking better than Houston.

Saying a place is better than Houston is like saying 'I would rather a bee sting my dick than a wasp sting my dick'.

york707
10-07-2011, 08:41 PM
There is no reason to be venturing further out than Loop 12/Northwest Hwy. Shit, Mockingbird, really.

Stick to older neighborhoods like Oak Cliff, Lakewood, East Dallas, and the M Streets area. There is actually a good Arts (with a capital A) scene there. Downtown isn't nearly as dead as it used to be.

Under no circumstances should you do anything in the mid cities, other than go to a cowboys or rangers game.

Ft. Worth and Denton are acceptable day trips.

rskapcat
10-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I live in the mid cities, and there is absolutely no reason to visit this area. Fine place to have a house, but suburbs and Starbucks and Chili's as far as the eye can see. It's just what you pass through on the way from Fort Worth to Dallas or vice versa.

I love the area around SMU, but that mostly has to do with food. Kuby's, Wild About Harry's, Fireside Pies, etc. And I love all of the older homes in the Highland Park area. I avoid the bars like the plague, though.

Fort Worth is good for an evening. Dinner at Byblo's, drive visitors through the Stockyards, finish the night on the roof at Flying Saucer.

Oak Cliff has a great little arts district with good food. Haven't been to a show at the Kessler yet, but I plan to remedy that in the near future.

Mak Attack
10-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Dallas is the shithole to end all shitholes. Everything bad you may have ever heard about Texas is true, but even worse, in Dallas. It is an openly racist southern baptist superficial soulless festering eyesore.

:pulse

don't become a cowboys fan, they ARE the worst. And Houston isn't that bad you guys.

york707
10-08-2011, 06:40 AM
HP and the M Streets are very pricey. Stick with south (Oak Cliff, only) or East (Lakewood) if you wnt older housing stock, with big trees and more independent stores, restaurants, etc.

Uptown is very urban, but douchily yuppie. And expensive.

The Mid cities and far north Dallas are fine if you are OK with a very suburban lifestyle and don't need to be near the arts/culture action.

Premium Roast
10-08-2011, 06:59 AM
went for a few days on business years ago and the one bar we hit was spacious and poppin, albeit a bit clique, with lovers of rap/r&b and cowboy hats. They are some people's kind of people. And drivin round Dallas is like making love to a tall white girl...it's long, flat, and boring.

johnnypolite
10-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Most everyone here is friendly save for the obnoxious George Bush-loving SMU dipshits. Oak Cliff, Knox-Henderson, & Deep Ellum are pretty good neighborhoods for nightlife. Also catch a show at Granada Theater on Greenville Ave. We get some damn good shows. :)

Premium Roast
10-08-2011, 07:32 AM
just said that cus I remember striking out all night