PDA

View Full Version : So then. Amanda Knox.

MissingPerson
10-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I haven't really been following the case I confess, but the verdict caught my attention.

As you may have heard, Amanda Knox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_knox) has been cleared of murder.

The Daily Mail, and some other sources, didn't hear this though. Knox was found guilty of lying about the conditions of her imprisonment, and the confusion over this was probably partly to blame for a number of outlets erroneously reporting that the murder conviction had been upheld.

Now, it's not unknown for papers to prepare articles in advance of a verdict, but The Daily Mail went one further and actually concocted quotes and reactions from "sources" at the scene. Quotes and reactions to a guilty verdict that never actually passed.

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2011/10/mailonline-makes-up-events-quotes-from.html

And not just vague scene-setting shit, neither:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UxH6HlOQfvc/TookZCRdokI/AAAAAAAACQY/-txzi4tlyPc/s400/guiltyquotes.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YNplT5VX97s/TooksiOu8YI/AAAAAAAACQc/Wsho5Xsyhfg/s400/guiltysuicide.jpg

You'd kind of think that, in light of recent events, British tabloids would be a bit more careful about this shit, but hey apparently not.

Now, about the trial itself, I don't know much, so I can't comment about Knox' guilt. But I do now know that the Italian justice system is fucking terrifying, and this article is worth a read (http://www.thewrap.com/blog-post/true-monster-florence-2354?page=0,0) to see why.

captncrzy
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I've been following the case. A lot of shoddy police work and circumstantial evidence.Stuff like she's guilty because her and her boyfriend went out to buy her some panties after the murder--so they're sex fiends. That kind of stuff. Not enough to convict, IMO.

Starraven
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
This Lifetime movie (http://www.hulu.com/watch/219422/lifetime-movies-beyond-the-headlines-amanda-knox) was pretty much the only info I had on her. I hope she gets the fuck out of Italy asap.

guedita
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
There's a well written article from the June edition of Rolling Stone on Amanda Knox too: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-neverending-nightmare-of-amanda-knox-20110627

JustSteve
10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Now, about the trial itself, I don't know much, so I can't comment about Knox' guilt. But I do now know that the Italian justice system is fucking terrifying, and this article is worth a read (http://www.thewrap.com/blog-post/true-monster-florence-2354?page=0,0) to see why.

had a scary experience while backpacking there in 2002. we were coming into italy via train from switzerland. first stop in italy and customs steps on. who do they decide to check out? of course, the backpacking americans. our bags were torn apart looking for drugs, the whole time one of the agents kept saying "if you have drugs and tell us then you will not go to jail...just tell us where the drugs are...if we find them you are going to jail", luckily my inner voice kicked in and said "bullshit!". even luckier? that i smoked the last half of a joint we had at the train station in interlaken at the last moment before getting on the train. spidey sense. cousin wasn't bitching any more about me doing so, either, haha. just glad there wasn't anything else we forgot about or something that got stuck in a pocket. i have no doubt in my mind that if we did have something and told them we would not have been let go.

MissingPerson
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Italian police are dodgy as fuck, and I've heard way too many anecdotes from friends about their peculiar distaste for young Americans in particular.

Like I say, I've no idea whether or not Knox had any involvement, but I do know for certain that she was a victim of Italy's insanely corrupt justice system.

RageAgainstTheAoki
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Haven't been following this case recently, but the British tabs convicted her a longtime ago, right, MP? Has the Daily Mail commented on the phony article?

MissingPerson
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
They've taken it down, I think that's pretty much all. Somebody suggested that the quotes were real, taken in advance to be published in the event of the verdict, but that doesn't explain or justify the bits about the girl "sobbing uncontrollably".

And yeah, I think everybody kind of took it for granted that she was guilty on this side of the pont. To be fair to the British press in particular, I think they were just a little to eager to eat up the sexy, exciting story they were being fed by the Italians. The narrative that the Italian prosecutor had woven was so bizarre I don't think it occurred to anybody that he might have just pulled it out of his ass.

The public were in turn all too quick to believe that this was just another story of a rich, pretty American using Europe as her playground and then trying to buy her way off the hook when it went wrong. That she might be rich and pretty and innocent only seems to be sinking in now. It's a kind of weird reversal of American privilege that Italy seems to indulge in to an increasing and unusual extent. I think that hiring a PR rep was a very bad move for Knox in light of all that, just as it was for the McCanns, I keep seeing people mention it in a very skeptical tone.

I don't think folks realised how broken Italy's justice system was before now, I know I certainly didn't. I mean, what kind of public official would invent a story of satanic ritual sex games, without any evidence of any such thing, and expect to be taken seriously?

The more I do read into this, the more bizarre and depressing it is that it got this far, and it's an ugly thing that Knox will have it hanging over her head for the rest of her life thanks to the No-Smoke-Without-Fire brigade.

One thing I will note, before I invite any and all deserved scorn on my fellow Eurotrash types, is that while our public may have been irrationally quick to convict her, America was just as irrationally quick to acquit.

tigermilkboy
10-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Having lived in Italy for about a year during University, it is a strange place for dealing with the police.
Whilst I was there, there was an incident of a sexual assault in one of the dorms where students stayed. The police came to investigate and virtually every Italian male who stayed or visited that dorm suddenly left the area. Even a number of women left too. This I was told by Italian friends was fairly standard because of the questioning of Italian police is often very aggressive and as such you should never 'voluntarily' go to a police station without legal representation.

The quirk of the system is that the local prosecutor often determines the course of the investigation by the police. In this case Mignini (the prosecutor) seems obsessed with satanic ritual orgy's (see Monster of Florence).
But the whole interrogation of the suspects was a farce, basically the police/prosecutors kept a line of questioning where they kept asking Knox and Sollecito to speculate what happened and then use that speculation against each suspect.

Gabbott66
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
. . . our bags were torn apart looking for drugs, the whole time one of the agents kept saying "if you have drugs and tell us then you will not go to jail...just tell us where the drugs are...if we find them you are going to jail", luckily my inner voice kicked in and said "bullshit!".

. . .

i have no doubt in my mind that if we did have something and told them we would not have been let go.

That would be true of any police interrogation in the world, not just Italy. The police are allowed to lie to you. Many of them take ruthless advantage of stupid and naive people in situations like this.

RageAgainstTheAoki
10-05-2011, 12:09 AM
And yeah, I think everybody kind of took it for granted that she was guilty on this side of the pont. To be fair to the British press in particular, I think they were just a little to eager to eat up the sexy, exciting story they were being fed by the Italians. The narrative that the Italian prosecutor had woven was so bizarre I don't think it occurred to anybody that he might have just pulled it out of his ass.

Seriously, lady? I mean, I know they're tabs, but still...

tigermilkboy
10-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Seriously, lady? I mean, I know they're tabs, but still...

I think in this case the tabloids in the UK were getting the reports directly from the Italian media. Digging deeper and examining the story aren't the domain of tabloids, they prefer the juicy headlines.
Probably none of the tabloids actually sent a reporter to Italy until the trial. The other thing is that British newspapers can't report much on a British trial due to very tough laws on the media influencing a trial. The freedom to report what the hell they like on an Italian murder trial with a British victim was just too much to resist.

MissingPerson
10-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, everything tigermilkboy said.

I just mean that the British press, although they by no means clothed themselves in glory here, weren't the ones setting the pace or tone for the trial throughout. With the notable exception of that completely grotesque Daily Mail piece, of course.

Aurgasm
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
this is hilarious... i was in Italy when this broke out and I remember coming back here thinking it would be all the hype. Haven't heard a single story until i was in Seattle last week.

The Italian media looooovvvvvvvvesssssssssssssssss knox. Oh man the shit they dug up on her was incredible. I have a collection of the 'magazine' Panorama here in my office that is about 5 years old; there have to be at least 30-50 Knox front covers. Lots of portrayals of the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Glad its over.

Hopefully the Italian police (inept) will do something to find Kercher's murderer. At this point I see little hope. It's sad that poor Meredith is just a third character in this saga. If Knox doesn't donate some of her tv/book money to Kercher's memory/family I'll be disgustipated.

JustSteve
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
the murderer was already convicted years ago, got his sentence nearly cut in half from 30 to 16 years after saying knox and the other guy were with him. how convenient.

MissingPerson
10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Excellent Guardian piece on the portrayal and perception of Amanda Knox:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/08/amanda-knox-facial-expressions

heart cooks brain
10-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think folks realised how broken Italy's justice system was before now, I know I certainly didn't. I mean, what kind of public official would invent a story of satanic ritual sex games, without any evidence of any such thing, and expect to be taken seriously?

It's thier go-to explanation. there was a series of murders in italy from '77-'84. The butcher of florence or something. one of their "motives" was organ-harvsting for satanic ritual. they arrested 7 different people (including an investigative reporter lampooning the cops for being wrong over and over) and multiple different people were convicted, and later had their convictions over-turned.

MissingPerson
10-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Same prosecutor, which is what I'm getting at. Giuliano Mignini, who was pursuing this case while he himself was under investigation for abuse of office. He has a thing for the auld' satanic rituals.

kroqken
10-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Whose cuter, Amanda Knox or Casey Anthony?