PDA

View Full Version : The new Amazon Kindle Fire

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Thoughts? Biggest potential challenger to the iPad thus far? Looks pretty sweet.

hsH0GKUKmXM

nathanfairchild
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
looks nice, but the new $79 kindle is looking too good to pass up now. i think i might finally get one now.

PotVsKtl
09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
It's not really a challenger to the iPad at all. It's just a cheap Android tablet.

PotVsKtl
09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
looks nice, but the new $79 kindle is looking too good to pass up now. i think i might finally get one now.

$79 is the new price for the current model. The low end Touch (no 3G) is $99.

koryp
09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
It's not really a challenger to the iPad at all. It's just a cheap Android tablet.

Seems like a sound business plan.

Fourthisto
09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
looks nice, but the new $79 kindle is looking too good to pass up now. i think i might finally get one now.Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Although the Fire's no contract 3G dealie is attractive as well, especially at the price.

Starraven
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Dear Customer,

There are two types of companies: those that work hard to charge customers more, and those that work hard to charge customers less. Both approaches can work. We are firmly in the second camp.

Hahahaha

mmsk123
09-28-2011, 01:23 PM

#1 and #2 things done on a tablet? Web browsing and email. Why would someone pay $300 more for an iPad when this does the same thing? That's in addition to Amazon's massive amount of content.

menikmati
09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
$79 is the new price for the current model. The low end Touch (no 3G) is $99.

No, the $79 is a brand new model (but no touch screen). The was current model (Kindle 3 - now 'Kindle Keyboard') is now $99 (was $114). The new non-3G Kindle Touch (which looks like the new $79 model, just with a touch screen of course) is also starting off at $99. Don't be fooled by those prices though...all the low prices Amazon is advertising in the "with offers" versions, meaning you get ads placed at the bottom of the screen on menus and screensavers.

wmgaretjax
09-28-2011, 01:41 PM
#1 and #2 things done on a tablet? Web browsing and email. Why would someone pay $300 more for an iPad when this does the same thing? That's in addition to Amazon's massive amount of content.

for one... the screen real estate makes web browsing a bit more palatable. plus, no 3G, which is a deal breaker for many people. but it's a nice alternative in some ways.

i'll probably bite the bullet and get the non-ad touch kindle now. been waiting for the upgrade a while.

Fourthisto
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Don't be fooled by those prices though...all the low prices Amazon is advertising in the "with offers" versions, meaning you get ads placed at the bottom of the screen on menus and screensavers.Oh shit, no way - I hadn't noticed that. Ugh.

PotVsKtl
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
The 10" 3G version will be out early 2012. They just weren't able to complete arrangements by the holidays.

Miroir Noir
09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Who the fuck is the Kindle Fire?

wmgaretjax
09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
The 10" 3G version will be out early 2012. They just weren't able to complete arrangements by the holidays.

ah, i missed this. is there a price point for this one yet?

PotVsKtl
09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
It's not official at the moment and I'm speculating on the specs (hard to believe they're only going to offer a 7") but

Well, this delay to get the "stopgap" Kindle tablet out in time for the holiday season this year may have pretty serious consequences for early adopters and holiday shoppers: my sources tell me the second-gen Kindle tablet (or Kindle Fire, as it's now been dubbed) will be out in Q1 of 2012 -- yes, that soon. That was always the plan, but the delays of the v1 product have messed up Amazon's release cycle

http://gdgt.com/discuss/oh-one-more-thing-about-the-amazon-tablet-the-second-better-version-is-coming-very-soon-g9k/

nathanfairchild
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
ah, i missed this. is there a price point for this one yet?

Given that it's 3 more inches and 3G I'd guess it'll be $299.

wmgaretjax
09-28-2011, 03:19 PM
i'd be shocked if they managed that price point.

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Yes, but itís content loaded, affordable, easily held in one hand (great for reading books/mags) and has virtually limitless capacity with free use of the Amazon Cloud. Also, this new Silk browser with split browser architecture sounds like it has a lot of potential. The Fire will be heavily promoted on a site with 80 million monthly visitors; not to mention Amazonís retail partners. It also gives developers another reason to develop more Android tablet apps, too. Not suggesting itís going to unseat the iPad, but I think it has the potential to be a strong number 2. I bet it will be a lot of peopleís first entry into the tablet market.

PotVsKtl
09-28-2011, 03:29 PM
has virtually limitless capacity with free use of the Amazon Cloud

* Amazon content

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Fair point. But if it sells like hotcakes, Amazon will probably be able to expand their available content. Perhaps an acquisition of Netflix is in their future? They've already acquired LoveFilm, the UK equivalent of Netflix.

I'dDoItAllAgain
10-07-2011, 02:54 PM
#1 and #2 things done on a tablet? Web browsing and email. Why would someone pay $300 more for an iPad when this does the same thing?
This.

The Fire looks sweeeet. Since Apple wants to charge more than the price of a laptop for their tablet, they can go fuck themselves.

This one's cheaper than a laptop, as it should be, so Amazon gets my money.

Sources "close to Amazon" told All Things D that the company is selling 25,000 Kindle Fire tablets every day. eDataSource, which last week estimated that Amazon sold 95,000 Kindle Fires on day one, believes daily sales are around 20,000 units per day.

By those metrics, Amazon has sold nearly 250,000 Kindle Fires to date. And while competing tablet makers typically brag about units shipped to retailers, Kindle Fire sales are going directly to consumers.
Source (http://www.pcworld.com/article/241374/kindle_fires_a_hit_sight_unseen.html).