PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Broken Stuff or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Customer Service

Courtney
09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
This project started a couple of weeks ago because I was fed up with the planned obsolescence of consumer products I was buying. It's ridiculous that a $200 pair of shoes would have a strap break after 7 months, or that an $80 frying pan would lose its non-stick coating from regular use in less than a year and a half. So I decided to start sending letters to the makers of things that broke or were unsatisfactory, and preferably send back the item itself too. I had bits of free time here and there at work, and it was my little way of protesting the disposable nature of our consumer culture.

I made rules:

1. Every claim made in each letter must be true.
2. I only send letters about products that I have used in the last six months.
3. I send at least two positive letters for every one negative letter, to balance out my karmic energy.

This is the thread wherein I will record the results.

ivankay
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
(sitting on the edge of my seat)

This should be neat.

faxman75
09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
In the two cases you are citing, did you mail those products in and how long ago? Is shipping going to be a deterrent if that proves costly and will that result in just a letter? Have you tried phoning the companies?

I'm sorry I have so many questions. I look forward to the results of your experiment.

Courtney
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
The first response I received back was actually from the lovely people at Rosebud Perfume Co, makers of a very popular line of salves sold at Sephora (http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=5671). I wrote them saying how much I enjoyed the product, and asking if it would ever be possible to tour their factory. Their response said that although they cannot give factory tours, they can give me two free samples of their new salve tubes including their newest product, Mocha Rose Lip Balm.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6122857286_f5d39c756e_z.jpg

Outcome: Successful (And for the record, the Mocha Rose Lip Balm smells great and makes me want to eat it.)

Courtney
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
In the two cases you are citing, did you mail those products in and how long ago? Is shipping going to be a deterrent if that proves costly and will that result in just a letter? Have you tried phoning the companies?

I'm sorry I have so many questions. I look forward to the results of your experiment.

For the shoes, they were very minimalist sandals and the shipping cost only $2.89 so I went ahead and sent them back. For the frying pan, I haven't dealt with it yet, but because it's heavier I'm thinking I will just mail a photo.

Phoning the companies is obnoxious and their customer service lines are often outsourced to India and you often have to wait on hold for long periods of time. I'm a fan of the written word. And letters seem to be more effective than e-mails.

faxman75
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks. I wish you continued success in this endeavor.

Courtney
09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
The second response I received was from Hertz. This was not a case of planned obsolescence, but rather just a case of completely horrendous service. I had to wait at the pick up desk for over an hour for an employee to return from a break, and when I finally received my car it had footprints on the inside passenger side windshield. The footprints didn't really bother me, but the waiting did. In Hertz's response, they apologize for the poor experience, and give me $100 worth of vouchers for a future rental.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6122810194_1349dceca9_z.jpg

Outcome: Successful

shoegazer76
09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
This is a great idea & concept. Products sure aren't made like they used to be as (cliche as that is). I think the positive letters of praise & satisfaction should be sent to manufacturers that are exceeding the product's expectations of consumers. Too many manufacurers are concerned with turning a profit rather than the integrity & value of what they produce.

Courtney
09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks shoegazer! I can't wait to see what kind of responses I will get.

SoulDischarge
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I'll be interested to see if you do this with any electronics, as they seem particularly designed to fall apart quickly and there's a lot of reluctance to address the issue.

Courtney
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I sent the NewellRubbermaid group a letter telling them how obsessed I am with Uniball Vision micro pens in blue, and they were nice enough to send me back one along with their letter.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6064/6122939492_3f0089f926_z.jpg

Outcome: Successfull

Courtney
09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I'll be interested to see if you do this with any electronics, as they seem particularly designed to fall apart quickly and there's a lot of reluctance to address the issue.

I definitely have sent out a couple letters, but I haven't heard back yet. Will post them if/when I get a response.

Courtney
09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I sent US Air a letter about some shitty service including a flight attendant who forgot to provide drink service to my row on the plane and then denied it. They sent me an apology letter. To be fair, it was a pretty whiny letter, but I'm surprised they didn't send me some sort of freebie.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6195/6122396907_437efbcdde_z.jpg

Outcome: Meh

Courtney
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I sent Mrs. Meyers Clean Day a letter about how much I love their household cleaning products and the nice smells are pretty much the only thing that motivates me to actually clean my apartment. They sent me back a thank you letter and coupon.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/6122455037_af46ff3367_z.jpg

Outcome: This company can do no wrong in my eyes

marooko
09-06-2011, 10:08 PM
This is awesome!! I do the phone calls and emails currently, this makes me want to write. I have contacted for both reasons as well.

Clichéd or not, it seems to be absolute truth.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Softly worded letters.

M Sparks
09-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I once sent a letter to Subway. They insist on calling their crappy white bread "Italian". So I ordered a sandwich on Italian.

(Condescendingly) "We don't have Italian, we have white or wheat."

I don't care what they want to call stuff. They can call their meatballs "Beef Mountains" if they want, just don't mock me if I order them that way. They sent me a ton of coupons, which I think got thrown out because I hate Subway anyway.

JustSteve
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
i have a swiffer wetjet that is my savior when it comes to mopping our place, which is all wood floors. the thing broke with just basic use and i wrote the company regarding my disappointment since i love the product. did it via email and they sent me a coupon good for a brand new starter set. they run around $17. score.

we had a project like this back in 5th grade. we all had to pick a product that we loved and write a letter to the company. was cool to see the responses everyone got, many included the product, too.

i think saved by the bell had an episode like that.

i'm gonna go now.

PlayaDelWes
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Wrote to Duckhorn Winery about an unpleasant experience at their winery in Napa. They sent us 3 bottles of wine and a very sincere and apologetic letter.

Argued with Starving Students for months over the worst move you could ever imagine. They didn't reimburse us for the move, but they did pay full price for the shit they broke and / or lost.

Wrote to the organizers of FYF Fest after they clusterfucked 2010. They sent nothing in return, but fixed things appropriately in 2011.

Ordered two CoulVue (http://toucoul.com/products/coulvue-headrest-car-mount)Headrest Mounts and they came defective. Emailed them pictures and they sent us THREE new fully functional units and simply told us to throw the two old ones away.

For pleasant experiences, I rarely write the company itself, but I do post on their social media / yelp-type sites.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Wrote to Duckhorn Winery about an unpleasant experience at their winery in Napa. They sent us 3 bottles of wine and a very sincere and apologetic letter.

Weird, I've only had very pleasant experiences there...my friends are members. Excellent wine and such a beautiful place! That's some damn expensive wine to get 3 free bottles of too!

PlayaDelWes
09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
We are fans of Duckhorn, it was just a bad day for them (overcrowded, understaffed, and although we had a tasting appointment, they had nobody to serve us).

tessalasset
09-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Courtney, thank you for trying to keep the board classy and interesting. It's these kind of threads that keep me coming back.

amyzzz
09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Courtney, thank you for trying to keep the board classy and interesting. It's these kind of threads that keep me coming back.
agreed.

Starraven
09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
^^completely agree!

Courtney, do you think the vouchers/coupons/free samples are worth the time and postage spent? I watch that "Extreme Couponing (http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/extreme-couponing)" show on TLC and it almost made me want to start clipping coupons and writing companies like you have done here. You're adding fuel to my fire! ;D

casey
09-07-2011, 11:56 AM
This is a really cool idea, may just have to start trying this out. I'm not surprised by the airline response; it's sad that most people have come to expect that kind of service from all airlines in general.

dorkfish
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Awhile back, I cut my hand (i.e. scratched) opening a 20 oz Dr Pepper bottle because the cap's plastic ring was mildly serrated. I was in a bad mood, it was a night shift, and I had a lot of time on my hands, so I crafted a letter to Dr Pepper explaining that their beverage shouldn't cut my precious hands. I received several emails, phone calls, and apology letters, coupons and a silly amount of Dr Pepper shwag (hats, shirts, towels, etc).

In other words, keep on keeping on Courtney.

tessalasset
09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
That's awesome Brad.

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I once sent a letter to Subway. They insist on calling their crappy white bread "Italian". So I ordered a sandwich on Italian.

(Condescendingly) "We don't have Italian, we have white or wheat."

I don't care what they want to call stuff. They can call their meatballs "Beef Mountains" if they want, just don't mock me if I order them that way. They sent me a ton of coupons, which I think got thrown out because I hate Subway anyway.

Ha, that is horrible. I still feel stupid using the weird marketing names that fast food chains come up with. I mean, at Starbucks I can hardly bring myself to ask for a "grande" -- it makes no sense that it's the name for their medium size, and I protest that.

fatbastard
09-07-2011, 01:02 PM
You don't get a bunch of junk mail?

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:05 PM
^^completely agree!

Courtney, do you think the vouchers/coupons/free samples are worth the time and postage spent? I watch that "Extreme Couponing (http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/extreme-couponing)" show on TLC and it almost made me want to start clipping coupons and writing companies like you have done here. You're adding fuel to my fire! ;D

In the case of a $1 coupon, no I don't think a coupon is worth the cost of sending in a letter when you consider that the true cost is $0.44 postage + $0.05 envelope + $0.01 paper + $0.05 printing -- that's $0.55 just in raw supplies. Not to mention that it might take me 10 minutes to type up, print and seal a letter, which at an opportunity cost of $25 per hour amounts to $4.17.

I do, however, think sending a letter is worth it if you're doing it on principle because you want to convey a message, which is the case here.

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Awhile back, I cut my hand (i.e. scratched) opening a 20 oz Dr Pepper bottle because the cap's plastic ring was mildly serrated. I was in a bad mood, it was a night shift, and I had a lot of time on my hands, so I crafted a letter to Dr Pepper explaining that their beverage shouldn't cut my precious hands. I received several emails, phone calls, and apology letters, coupons and a silly amount of Dr Pepper shwag (hats, shirts, towels, etc).

In other words, keep on keeping on Courtney.

This is super badass. I hope the next time I see you, you will be covered in head-to-toe Dr. Pepper paraphernalia.

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
This is a really cool idea, may just have to start trying this out. I'm not surprised by the airline response; it's sad that most people have come to expect that kind of service from all airlines in general.

Yes, please join me! I would be so curious to see the responses that other people get.

PotVsKtl
09-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Corporate shills.

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Aw, thanks

:dumbo:dumbo:dumbo:dumbo:dumbo

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Corporate shills.

If US Air would send me some free stuff, I would gladly be a shill. My love comes cheap.

marooko
09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
retracted.

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Things that I have observed so far:

1) Travel-related companies and companies responding to praise letters seem to respond a lot more quickly than anyone else.

2) Every single customer service person ever seems to be female.

I sure hope that I get some responses to my complaint letters. But in the meantime, I received two more responses to my positive letters.

Starraven
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Ha, that is horrible. I still feel stupid using the weird marketing names that fast food chains come up with. I mean, at Starbucks I can hardly bring myself to ask for a "grande" -- it makes no sense that it's the name for their medium size, and I protest that.

My God, I hate coldstone creamery for this... I just call the medium ice cream medium. fuck them.

guedita
09-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Dear dorkfish,

Your customer service regarding artist and venue information is unparalleled. However, I recently noticed that you came into the possession of a Dr. Pepper's hat. If you don't know, in the which case, shame on you, I am a huge fan of novelty, obnoxious hat-wear. In the off-chance that you are not putting your Dr. Pepper's hat to good use--by which I mean embarrassing others by wearing it in public with them--I humbly request that you forward this hat to me. Failure to do so will result in nothing.

Cordially,
guedita

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
I sent Smuckers a letter telling them how I appreciate that they make 100% fruit jams instead of cramming high fructose corn syrup in all their products. They sent me back a nice letter pushing their website, and two small coupons.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6194/6122455107_105e5af545_z.jpg

Outcome: Ok

Courtney
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I sent Burt's Bees a letter telling them how amazing I think their lip balms are and asking if they have any samples of new products they could send me, because I'm a greedy bastard like that. They sent me back a letter saying that they don't give away samples, but they will give away a sample.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6122454945_1fe4940407_z.jpg

Outcome: Sample success

tessalasset
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I sent Smuckers a letter telling them how I appreciate that they make 100% fruit jams instead of cramming high fructose corn syrup in all their products. They sent me back a nice letter pushing their website, and two small coupons.

cheap mfers

marooko
I like to go in and ask for a coffee. Recently a lady seemed to be afraid to say "black", or was baiting me in to saying it because there was a black guy in line. I said "BLACK!". Then turned to look at him, because obviously he cared.

Silly white folk.

On a thread related note, I'm gonna write Crayola and tell them their black crayon offends me.

tessalasset
I sent Burt's Bees a letter telling them how amazing I think their lip balms are and asking if they have any samples of new products they could send me, because I'm a greedy bastard like that. They sent me back a letter saying that they don't give away samples, but they will give away a sample.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6122454945_1fe4940407_z.jpg

Outcome: Sample success

oh my god i need to do this every time i run out of a stick. this is all i use. obsessed/addicted.

PlayaDelWes
09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
But Courtney, Sugar is Sugar (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robyn-o/sugar-is-sugar-claims-the_b_717537.html).

JustSteve
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Wrote to the organizers of FYF Fest after they clusterfucked 2010. They sent nothing in return, but fixed things appropriately in 2011.

well, of course things were fixed. look who one of the promoters was.

JustSteve
09-07-2011, 01:32 PM
On a thread related note, I'm gonna write Crayola and tell them their black crayon offends me.

tell them to rename it african-american.

kreutz2112
09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
But Courtney, Sugar is Sugar (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robyn-o/sugar-is-sugar-claims-the_b_717537.html).

And gas is gas, but the odors my kids emit aren't the same thing that I put into my car to get them to school. To claim that would be irresponsible, and to claim that high fructose corn syrup, by any name, is the same as sugar is irresponsible, too.

Correct.

rskapcat
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
This is super badass. I hope the next time I see you, you will be covered in head-to-toe Dr. Pepper paraphernalia.

I'm now picturing Brad as Garth.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2099/2217018723_32741f8011.jpg

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Love that Smuckers HQ is located on Strawberry Lane.

chairmenmeow47
09-07-2011, 02:09 PM
<3those uniball pens too. the blues are harder to find; i should do this.

rasooli
09-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Thread of the year!

rasooli
09-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Quick question: who is it that you write to at these companies? Is there a specific person that deals with these types of consumer complaints? I have very expensive Bose headphones that went deaf on one side for no reason at all. Maybe I should go ahead and send them a letter asking for a new one or at least a deep discount on future purchases.

Gribbz
09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Quick question: who is it that you write to at these companies? Is there a specific person that deals with these types of consumer complaints? I have very expensive Bose headphones that went deaf on one side for no reason at all. Maybe I should go ahead and send them a letter asking for a new one or at least a deep discount on future purchases.

Customer service.

zircona1
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I used to work in customer service for a company that sells books. Started on the phones, then got a more specialized position answering emails. I did this for about 5 years.

I think everyone should work in a job where they have to deal with the general public at least once, you develop a lot more empathy.

Several years ago I went to a Steak and Shake (a chain here in the midwest) close to midnight. I sat and didn't get service after waiting for 5 minutes, and people who came in after me did. I left and wrote them a letter, they sent me an apology and some coupons.

guedita
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Customer service.

Wrong. THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY: URGEN!T is how rasooli should address his letters.

tessalasset
09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Executive Email Carpet Bomb!

RedHotSgtPeppers
09-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Once I gave a Starbucks barista a homemade chocolate chip cookie that my friend made, and he gave me a "get a free drink on us!" coupon. It's pays to be nice, I guess.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Once I gave a Starbucks barista a homemade chocolate chip cookie that my friend made, and he gave me a "get a free drink on us!" coupon. It's pays to be nice, I guess.

If I was a Starbucks barista (which I once was, a long time ago) and a customer gave me a homemade cookie, I probably wouldn't have eaten it, out of fear of not knowing what the hell was in it. But maybe the Starbucks in your neighborhood has less crazies.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I wrote Nature's Path a letter about how much I like their Optimum breakfast cereal and asking if they have any other cereals that contain an equal amount of protein. They wrote me back a letter about where Nature's Path is stocked in California. Reading comprehension: they don't have it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6140789589_927280d937_z.jpg

Outcome: wtf?

tessalasset
09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
This morning at Starbucks we were all witness to a woman pulling a barista to the side and then loudly, for seriously three minutes at least, explaining to him why she hates it when he makes her drinks and how she's been coming here 5 days a week for the past 5 years and he's the only one who can't make her drink right and she knows how it should taste and it never tastes right with him and doesn't she deserve to have her correct drink? But it was loud...almost the whole store could hear it. He took it in stride and was very gracious about it, but man, baristas do not get paid enough to put up with that shit.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I wrote a Utah-based company called Purple Cows a letter about how I have a paper cutter from them that sucks and doesn't cut anymore. They told me I could fix it by buying more stuff from them.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6070/6141341710_e59a7b1b50_z.jpg

Outcome: fail.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 10:43 AM
This morning at Starbucks we were all witness to a woman pulling a barista to the side and then loudly, for seriously three minutes at least, explaining to him why she hates it when he makes her drinks and how she's been coming here 5 days a week for the past 5 years and he's the only one who can't make her drink right and she knows how it should taste and it never tastes right with him and doesn't she deserve to have her correct drink? But it was loud...almost the whole store could hear it. He took it in stride and was very gracious about it, but man, baristas do not get paid enough to put up with that shit.

Ha, seriously. Crazies. Being a barista is like being a bartender, only without the excuse of alcohol to account for the batshit insane behavior.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Also, if anyone is keeping track, my record is still 100% for female customer service agents.

Hannahrain
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Rotary cutter blades are meant to be replaced over time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that response.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I have received a couple of electronic responses as well. ASOS, a UK-based online clothing retailer, recently failed to send me a package within their estimated delivery window (after I paid a significant extra sum for Hawaii delivery), resulting in me having nothing to wear for a funeral. I sent them a letter and they sent me this response:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6140880813_3c52480311_z.jpg

Outcome: Fuck that. I responded that I do not want a discount code because I have no desire to order from their company again until I can be assured that this issue will not happen again.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Rotary cutter blades are meant to be replaced over time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that response.

The paper cutter is two months old.

Hannahrain
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Ok. Fuck them, then.

miscorrections
09-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I have received a couple of electronic responses as well. ASOS, a UK-based online clothing retailer, recently failed to send me a package within their estimated delivery window (after I paid a significant extra sum for Hawaii delivery), resulting in me having nothing to wear for a funeral. I sent them a letter and they sent me this response:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6140880813_3c52480311_z.jpg

Outcome: Fuck that. I responded that I do not want a discount code because I have no desire to order from their company again until I can be assured that this issue will not happen again.

Weird, I've had nothing but super fast delivery from them.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Corinna, I think the issue is probably Hawaii-specific. Their estimated time frame would have been correct if they had sent the package priority mail, but they sent it parcel post which means it is sitting on a boat for three weeks.

casey
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
The paper cutter is two months old.

That is different. They should have offered a better solution if it was basically brand new.

I've never had a problem with ASOS and they have really cute dresses. Did you return the dress? Also, did they refund your shipping?

Courtney
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I sent a message to an etsy seller, which I felt a little bad complaining to because I know they are all very small businesses and doing the best they can. But her $48 earrings broke after 28 days, and that sucks.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6141437518_b606984e72_z.jpg

Outcome: I'm sending the earrings back to her for repair because I don't have needle-nose pliers.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
I've never had a problem with ASOS and they have really cute dresses. Did you return the dress? Also, did they refund your shipping?

Thankfully, they have free two-way shipping so I just used their postage-paid label to return the dress, and they did refund me everything a month later.

menikmati
09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I bought a shirt off Etsy once, and I really loved the design and when it got here, I wore it once and washed it, and it looked like it got all fucked up from the washer, like stretched out, colors sorta faded already, so I wrote her telling her I thought the material of the shirt was pretty shitty quality and said for future business she should probably switch to something better....I didn't want a refund or anything, just wanted to let her know how I felt...anyway, she wrote back explaining how the shirt was supposed to be like that because its supposed to be a "worn out" looking design, and she apologized and gave me my money back...then I decided to wash the shirt one more time and actually ended up liking how it turned out...so I basically got the shirt for free...but then I sorta felt bad and almost contacted her again to give her the money back but didn't.

/Story

miscorrections
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
You should tell that one at parties.

sonofhal
09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
..or sell the movie rights.

amyzzz
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
This is as good a place as any for Erik to put his story. You guys. :nono

Courtney
09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Erik, let's see a photo of this shirt.

Courtney
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I sent the Swedish perfume house Byredo a love letter to their scent Bal d'Afrique. They sent me back samples of their six most popular fragrances.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6142245595_d32860be6b_z.jpg

Outcome: sweet-smelling win

VigoTheCarpathian
09-12-2011, 07:12 PM
you see what character gets ya ;)

Courtney
09-12-2011, 07:13 PM

You should definitely write a letter. Bose headphones should be built to last, and if not you should demand a replacement pair.

For big companies I know well, like airlines for example, I will write to their head of customer service department. For companies I don't know but I REALLY want to heard at, I will write to the CEO. For things that don't matter so much, I'll just address it to "Customer Service" at their company headquarters' address.

shakermaker113
09-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm quite curious now whether there is anything you buy that doesn't crap out on you right away.

kitt kat
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh my god, this would be my mom's favorite thread. She taught me a long time ago that, if service or a product is subpar, it's your responsibility to let the company know.

The only one I have ever done was an angry email to Starbucks. The Starbucks I go to every single day was having a particularly disastrous week, which was capped off by one visit that had a 20 minute wait and my caramel machiatto had no caramel in it (but lots of burnt espresso!) I got a nice apology and four free drink coupons. Sweet!

Courtney
09-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm quite curious now whether there is anything you buy that doesn't crap out on you right away.

I'm beginning to think that it's honestly me and not the products. EVERYTHING breaks.

Oh my god, this would be my mom's favorite thread. She taught me a long time ago that, if service or a product is subpar, it's your responsibility to let the company know.

The only one I have ever done was an angry email to Starbucks. The Starbucks I go to every single day was having a particularly disastrous week, which was capped off by one visit that had a 20 minute wait and my caramel machiatto had no caramel in it (but lots of burnt espresso!) I got a nice apology and four free drink coupons. Sweet!

Heh. Now I love your mama. High five on the drink coupons. Although it's Starbucks, so yeah.

menikmati
09-13-2011, 11:22 AM

#firstworldproblems

algunz
09-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Outcome: I'm sending the earrings back to her for repair because I don't have needle-nose pliers.

Get yourself some needle-nosed pliers. They are very useful.

PotVsKtl
09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Having worked in customer service for the last decade, I want to murder this thread.

Courtney
09-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Ha.

Note to self: I cannot remember what computer-related thing is where PVK works, so just don't contact any of those companies, ever, just in case.

algunz
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, there goes your 100% women statistic.

PotVsKtl
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Don't worry, we route all complaints and comments to /dev/null.

Courtney
09-18-2011, 01:37 PM
So I feel like this is starting to really suck and be unsuccessful and an experiment. I'm disappointed.

3M thanked me for the nice things I had to say about Post-It notes:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/6157948886_4687a77ea0_z.jpg

Outcome: Ok.

Courtney
09-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Celestial Seasonings sent me a whole bunch of tea and some coupons:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/6157949924_42caaf8dce_z.jpg

Outcome: Mmmmm herbal tea.

Courtney
09-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Tivoli Audio said that I could send back my Model One for a $50 repair, even though the actual radio is only $149.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6157407865_989c28fde3_z.jpg

Outcome: I'd rather just buy a new radio.

Courtney
09-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Essie told me that they like their Mademoiselle nail polish as well:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6157951808_09bc162a2e_z.jpg

Outcome: Ok.

tessalasset
09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Hah.

Courtney
09-19-2011, 12:13 AM
I just wrote my 50th letter.

shakermaker113
09-19-2011, 06:41 AM
well, at least your letter writing supplies don't break.

SoulDischarge
09-19-2011, 07:02 AM
So I feel like this is starting to really suck and be unsuccessful and an experiment. I'm disappointed.

I think it's nice we now have our own personal consumer advocate on the board. Makes it easier to know which companies to trust and which not to.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I like referring to a good product as "a real champ."

Courtney
09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I like referring to a good product as "a real champ."

I am going to start saying that in my praise letters.

"Dear 3M, Thank you for making Post-It notes. Your product is a real champ."

Courtney
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I think it's nice we now have our own personal consumer advocate on the board. Makes it easier to know which companies to trust and which not to.

I am glad that it has some use, because it's starting to feel pretty futile to me. With the exception of the $100 from Hertz, because that was awesome.

Courtney
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
well, at least your letter writing supplies don't break.

Nope, and I'm am using my awesome new Uniball Vision pen that the NewallRubbermaid company sent me for freeeeeee.

I think I'm going to send a letter to the USPS next because I had a truly horrendous experience at my local post office on Friday. I doubt they will give me free stamps, but a girl can dream.

Courtney
09-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I just received a very nice phone call from the Apple Executive Offices apologizing for my experiences with my Apple products (I sent them a laundry list of complaints about my iPod, iPod Nano, MacBook Pro, and iPhone, including dead batteries that could not be replaced and faulty graphics processors). The customer service representative said that she wanted to personally call and confirm that she is looking into my issues, and will call back in two to three days after she is able to research further.

So that's promising.

thefunkylama
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
It's a helluva lot better than a discount code.

Sleepingrock
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I am glad that it has some use, because it's starting to feel pretty futile to me. With the exception of the $100 from Hertz, because that was awesome.

What exactly do you hope to achieve through writing the letters, both positive and negative?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
What exactly do you hope to achieve through writing the letters, both positive and negative?

If you actually read any of the content of this thread, and/or the letters themselves, it's pretty self-evident.

Sleepingrock
09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
I know, but she says it is feeling futile. What aspect is feeling futile. Since I believe the positive letters are conveying their message and the customer service reps are responding in a grateful manner. Is her goal to receive freebies for these since when she receives a freebie then the outcome is almost always positive on her end. In regards to the negative letters, how does one receive a good outcome through a customer service rep that isn't through freebies? Courtney's recent phone call from an Apple Exec appears to be a nice gesture, and it actually could create a positive outcome in the long term aside from a nice goodie.

Courtney
09-19-2011, 05:06 PM

My primary goal for this project is to convey a message, as I stated in this post:

...sending a letter is worth it if you're doing it on principle because you want to convey a message, which is the case here.

However, I think the problem is that it is very difficult to actually gauge whether my message is getting through to a company when all they do is send me back a form letter with one or two fill-in-the-blank style personalizations.

I liked Hertz's $100 vouchers not only because it is nice to get free stuff, but moreover because I know they actual took the time to consider my complaint and decide that it had merit. Presumably they will look into the issue further and take steps to prevent it from happening again, if only because I doubt they want to give every single person who has a similar experience $100 in vouchers.

I also really liked receiving a phone call from Apple because it made it clear that they are taking the issues seriously.

For the positive letters, any outcome is a positive outcome, really. It's nice to know that the letter was passed on to the people in the company who are responsible for whatever particular awesomeness I'm complimenting, but it's not necessary.

Courtney
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
So this is amazing. I received the BEST letter ever and also the WORST letter ever on the same day. Let's get the bad over with first.

I wrote to T-fal about the fact that I purchased one of their professional-grade pans a few months ago, and the nonstick coating is already starting to lose its nonstickness. This is the response they sent back, along with a close-up for your reading pleasure:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6168/6165392834_7786105492_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6165379996_41a0daa934_z.jpg

Outcome: Of course I didn't keep my sales receipt to prove that it's under warranty. It's a pan. And I don't particularly want to pay for shipping to get it to New Jersey either. Screw you, company.

Courtney
09-19-2011, 09:22 PM
And, on the other hand, I received the most adorable letter ever from Coconut Bliss in Eugene, Oregon. They thank me for my infatuation letter and explain why I'm seeing less flavors at my local health food store these days.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6164860643_5cbc4a6c90_z.jpg

Outcome: Will you marry me Community Manager & PR Director Kiley Gwynn?

chairmenmeow47
09-19-2011, 09:25 PM
i'd disagree that a call says they're taking the complaints seriously. i mean, no offense, but you can't be the first person to complain about irreplaceable shitty batteries. while it is nice to at least feel like you're heard and not ignored, it'd be better if they actually did something about the products in general, not just appease you personally.

but hey, if more people stopped buying the products, i'm sure they'd listen. and you being someone with a lot of their products may make your opinion more valuable to them.

also, that pan letter... i hate when people automatically respond like it's your fault.

marooko
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I wish I had the energy and time to write these types of letters. I would write DirecTV, Chase Bank and AT&T. Maybe a couple other places that have been guilty of the following: I've been a customer of these businesses for several years and I absolutely hate getting mail telling me about their offers for switching over to them.

Someone write out a complaint and ship it on my behalf. Thank you in advance.

Alchemy
09-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I remember my 6th grade teacher told the class to write complaint letters to companies... not to improve their service, but so that we could receive free shit. That's pretty much all I learned in the 6th grade.

Gribbz
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Ha, same here. We also had to write letters to either Israelites or Palestinians about their ongoing conflict and how we thought it could be resolved.

lunatic core
09-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Pretty much every resturant seems to throw gift cards at complaints. So I don't buy the reasoning that they must have thought more about your complaint if they send gift certs.

You could probably eat for cheaply for months if you started writing all your local reaturants.

shakermaker113
09-20-2011, 01:50 AM
This is the response they sent back, along with a close-up for your reading pleasure.

did you write back to them to tell them how their automated response writer is broken?

Courtney
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
did you write back to them to tell them how their automated response writer is broken?

Maybe I will.

Courtney
09-20-2011, 11:23 AM
i'd disagree that a call says they're taking the complaints seriously. i mean, no offense, but you can't be the first person to complain about irreplaceable shitty batteries. while it is nice to at least feel like you're heard and not ignored, it'd be better if they actually did something about the products in general, not just appease you personally.

but hey, if more people stopped buying the products, i'm sure they'd listen. and you being someone with a lot of their products may make your opinion more valuable to them.

also, that pan letter... i hate when people automatically respond like it's your fault.

Ivy, maybe you're right about the call. But the fact that it was a quick call to say that they are looking into it further, and will call me back in three days, sure did make me feel like it was being taken seriously. If that is all a script and they just do the three days bit with everyone, that would be weird but sneaky and maybe genius.

And yeah, the pan thing did definitely piss me off. I think I know how to properly use a pan. I'm not an idiot. (Or at least, not when it comes to the kitchen.)

Pretty much every resturant seems to throw gift cards at complaints. So I don't buy the reasoning that they must have thought more about your complaint if they send gift certs.

You could probably eat for cheaply for months if you started writing all your local reaturants.

Do restaurants commonly throw $100 gift cards at any and every complaint? Because that would be really weird as a business practice.

locachica73
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Do restaurants commonly throw $100 gift cards at any and every complaint? Because that would be really weird as a business practice.

I use to know a guy that never really paid for a meal, he would just call after a lunch rush at whatever restaurant he was hungry for and claim he had been there on a business lunch and the service was horrible and/or his order was wrong, and they would give him a free meal. He did it for everything from mcdonalds to high end steak houses.

casey
09-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Courtney, I would like to know more about your process. Do you type them out & sign them with your new pen, or do you hand write them? Do you have your own stationary for this process? Are there any companies that you were really hoping would write you back but haven't? I assume there has been enough of a time lapse from when you sent out your first wave of letters...there has to be a list of companies that didn't even respond, right?

OH...and do you use your work address or your home address?

Courtney
09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Courtney, I would like to know more about your process. Do you type them out & sign them with your new pen, or do you hand write them? Do you have your own stationary for this process? Are there any companies that you were really hoping would write you back but haven't? I assume there has been enough of a time lapse from when you sent out your first wave of letters...there has to be a list of companies that didn't even respond, right?

OH...and do you use your work address or your home address?

I type and print out the complaint letters. For the positive letters, I hand write some, and type others, depending on how I'm feeling. For the smaller companies especially, I like writing notes by hand. I just use whatever stationery I have on hand, which right now is happens to be these (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=770607). Sometimes I draw little doodles of their product or include a photo of the product in use, too.

As of today, I have written 54 letters, and have received responses for 20 of them. I am really hoping that at least of the four shoe companies I contacted (Clarks, Nine West, Chinese Laundry, Reef Sandals) responds at some point. I also hope I hear back from Sennheiser.

And I use my home address.

Hannahrain
09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I have that stationery. I almost used it to send you something once, too.

Courtney
09-20-2011, 07:00 PM
We are awesome.

Courtney
09-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Woah. Same letter, and they sent me MORE stuff. It's probably an accident, but I'll take it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6167988221_63f1f6d0a2_z.jpg

Outcome: My lips are going to be so freaking moisturized.

Courtney
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I sent Newman's Own a letter about how their olive oil and vinegar salad dressing was pretty much part of my childhood, and I included a recipe about how I like to use it for a green bean and new potato salad. They sent me back a thank you letter and coupons totaling $2.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6154/6168526106_b631639e1f_z.jpg

Outcome: How adorable is it that the COO signed the letter by hand?

thefunkylama
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Also, first boy?

Courtney
09-21-2011, 09:12 AM
YES! First boy. But I'm not sure if he counts, because customer service is not the primary component of his job.

casey
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for answering my questions, Courtney!

The reason I asked about whether you use your home address or not is because when I worked in customer service, there was one girl who got so mad at a customer (after the customer berated her) that she wrote her an anonymous letter telling her that she needed to learn to treat people with respect and to find some human decency. She sent it to the home address we had on file for the customer. I don't think the customer ever found out who it was, but ever since that happened I always think about it when I complain to a company. I'm never mean or disrespectful to customer service people but I always worry one day I am going to catch them on a bad day and get signed up for junk mail or something!

amyzzz
09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Casey, are you saying Courtney is vulnerable to retaliation from a disgruntled employee? I am assuming her letters are very polite.

casey
09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I assume her letters are polite, too! I wasn't trying to insinuate that it might happen to her at all. :) It's just something I always think about now. It doesn't really matter what address she sends them from anyway; if someone REALLY wanted to write her a mean letter they could send it to either address.

PotVsKtl
09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Outcome: How adorable is it that the COO signed the letter by hand?

That's very unlikely to be the case.

Courtney
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
I know, it seems a bit odd to me too. I'm sure dude has plenty of other things to do with his day. But I doubt they would have someone else forge it, and it's definitely a handwritten signature and not printed or stamped or whatever. Maybe he just signs a small percentage of the letters going out each day, as a sort of keep-in-touch-with-the-little-people policy.

locachica73
09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I know, it seems a bit odd to me too. I'm sure dude has plenty of other things to do with his day. But I doubt they would have someone else forge it, and it's definitely a handwritten signature and not printed or stamped or whatever. Maybe he just signs a small percentage of the letters going out each day, as a sort of keep-in-touch-with-the-little-people policy.

I use to sign my bosses name to letters like that when I was an executive assistant. I also had to hand fill out/sign all of her christmas cards... because it was more personal she said. But that was a larger company. When I have worked for smaller companies I would type them and then put them all in a folder for my bosses to sign. So it could be either case.

Courtney
09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I feel like having an assistant forge a signature is poor policy. If you're not going to sign it, don't pretend to. This is especially true for a company that puts such a premium on integrity. Why would it be worth risking their image?

In my professional life, I have certainly forged signatures (with permission) before, but it was always just because a contract needed to be signed and someone was out of town, or something like that. The forgeries were always a bandaid for a last minute emergency, and never a matter of routine policy.

PotVsKtl
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
It's a stamp.

PotVsKtl
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uUPWH.jpg

Hannahrain
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't think assistant signing is uncommon. What I'm actually here to say, though, is that this (http://www.reveries.com/reverb/cause_marketing/indoe/index.html) interview with that guy puts Paul in an even charming-er light than he was already in. Because that's what we all need. Bigger crushes on a dead dude.

Hannahrain
09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm constantly alarmed by how readily at hand you seem to have these images, PvK.

Courtney
09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I maintain that it's not a stamp. However, looking back at the letter, I am becoming increasingly open to the possibility that it is a forgery. Because it doesn't really look like the signature of a 60 year old man. The handwriting is all bubbly and wide and looks like it belongs to a 20 year old girl. Also, the content of the letter is clearly a form and not personalized in any way, and if you're going to go to the trouble of having a COO sign a letter, you should at least make it a good one.

PotVsKtl
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
It's probably a brand.

PotVsKtl
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Does the letter smell like hickory?

Courtney
09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
If it is a forgery, my track record of 100% female customer service agents is unbroken.

Courtney
09-21-2011, 12:45 PM
PvK, I'm pretty sure it's actually written in the ink bled out of a tattoo that Tom Indoe himself personally signs onto every new Newman's Own employee upon hiring.

PotVsKtl
09-21-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/gallery/files/1/8/4/7/picture_8.png

Courtney
09-23-2011, 03:10 PM
I just finished speaking with the Apple Executive Offices. They are going to give me a new replacement iPhone.

amyzzz
09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Good news, Courtney!

kitt kat
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Whoa! You go, girl!

This thread, I think, has inspired me to write two happy letters to companies I love -- not to get free shit, but because they are both small companies who make products that have legitimately improved my quality of life. The first is a skincare company whose face wash (albeit expensive) was the first (and only) face wash to actually fix my acne problem that plagued me from ages 13-21; the other is the brand of cat food I switched to a few months ago (all natural, no grains) and it's actually made my cat's fur softer and stopped her bad dandruff problem. Success!!

amyzzz
09-23-2011, 04:43 PM
What is the face wash brand, kat?

kitt kat
09-23-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.dermadoctor.com/product_DERMAdoctor-Aint-Misbehavin-Medicated-AHA-BHA-Acne-Cleanser_1994.html

I think it worked for me because it's soap free -- but even the medicated BS I would get from the dermatologist as a tween/teen didn't help like this did. I saw results after using this for a month solid; it's really repaired my skin as well. Doesn't dry it out, lasts for a while considering the price. I only get zits when I forget to wash my face and leave grimy makeup gunk on for too long (12+ hrs) or before that time of the month (but even then, it's only one or two...)

Premium Roast
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Burt Bees is the best for cold sores and lip to nose area infections. Giss a kiss.

samiksha
09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
http://www.dermadoctor.com/product_DERMAdoctor-Aint-Misbehavin-Medicated-AHA-BHA-Acne-Cleanser_1994.html

I think it worked for me because it's soap free -- but even the medicated BS I would get from the dermatologist as a tween/teen didn't help like this did. I saw results after using this for a month solid; it's really repaired my skin as well. Doesn't dry it out, lasts for a while considering the price. I only get zits when I forget to wash my face and leave grimy makeup gunk on for too long (12+ hrs) or before that time of the month (but even then, it's only one or two...)

Same thing happened to me when I started using their moisturizer. It is so worth the price.

Courtney
09-24-2011, 07:57 PM
I wrote Seventh Generation saying that I like their eucalyptus and lavender laundry detergent. They said thanks and enclosed $4 worth of coupons in their reply letter.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6180109802_6013f72997_z.jpg

Hannahrain
09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
What an effective visual extension of their corporate identity.

Courtney
09-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I sent Nine West a letter expressing my disappointment that my favorite pair of black leather wedge sandals broke in a rainstorm less than a year after purchase. I also sent along the actual shoes, asking if it was possible to repair them, or if not then to send me a replacement pair. They sent me back an apology letter and a gift certificate for the value of the shoes.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6023/6190238602_e7265876d3.jpg

faxman75
09-27-2011, 03:21 PM
OOh that's a solid victory. Keep it up, I enjoy this a lot.

Courtney
09-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, I'm very pleased with the outcome. Good job with customer service Nine West.

casey
09-28-2011, 07:13 AM
That's one of the ones you said you wanted to hear back from, too! I think this experiment has been a success :)

HowToDisappear
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
The North Face has a limited lifetime warranty on all their gear (manufacturers defect excluding normal wear and tear). We have a much used (and dearly loved) 20 year-old, 5+ person, 4-season tent that finally gave up the ghost: broken zippers; bent pole; floor no longer waterproof and with pinholes here and there. So I sent it to warranty with a very nice note detailing the issues and politely asked if they could repair it, if the cost was in reason (I fully expected to be charged since I considered it normal wear and tear).

I just called them to get a status report: it has been evaluated and will be repaired for FREE under warranty and will be returned in two weeks. This is fantastic. We've got a winter trip planned to Yosemite, and we will once again be snug as little bugs in rugs.

:pulse THANK YOU NORTH FACE :pulse

algunz
11-12-2011, 08:24 AM
That's awesome. You'll have to let us know if the repairs are effective. I couldn't imagine North Face would go through the motions and do a half-ass job.

HowToDisappear
11-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Can't wait to get it back and see what they've done.

Timestretch
11-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I can't believe there is a thread for this! I use to do this all the time. Totino's will send you out coupons for any free Totino's product. So take it Price/Sams club and get the giant box of pizza rolls or the multi-pack of pizzas. Little Debbie once sent me a check for 99 cents for some Zebra cakes. Lunchables basically told me to fuck off. El Monterrey hooked up a free giant bag of Taquitos!

JustSteve
11-13-2011, 03:35 PM
yay, a bunch of shitty processed foods :/

J~$$$$
11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
The North Face has a limited lifetime warranty on all their gear (manufacturers defect excluding normal wear and tear). We have a much used (and dearly loved) 20 year-old, 5+ person, 4-season tent that finally gave up the ghost: broken zippers; bent pole; floor no longer waterproof and with pinholes here and there. So I sent it to warranty with a very nice note detailing the issues and politely asked if they could repair it, if the cost was in reason (I fully expected to be charged since I considered it normal wear and tear).

I just called them to get a status report: it has been evaluated and will be repaired for FREE under warranty and will be returned in two weeks. This is fantastic. We've got a winter trip planned to Yosemite, and we will once again be snug as little bugs in rugs.

:pulse THANK YOU NORTH FACE :pulse

I love northface so much for this reason. 90% of my outdoor gear from tent, sleeping bags, jackets, backpacks are all from North Face because of this reason. Some of it is more than 15 + years old. More companies should stand behind their products like northface does. Most of my fly fishing gear is lifetime warranty. I have a sgae rod and a g.loomis rod that I have broken by getting them caught in the car door and broken all repaired/replaced for free.

TomAz
11-18-2011, 06:30 AM
ok so this doesn't exactly fit here but I didn't know where else to put it. This exchange occurred yesterday.

Dear Mr. Az,

I am contacting you to apologize for the grief we may have caused you. I am needing to process your refund but I do not have your card number to do so. We do not keep record of this. When you get the chance please give me a call so I can process this for and get your money back to you in as soon as possible.

Thank you,
C**** G***
Lead Image Consultant, 20/20 ******

Grief is hardly the word. I am livid. I am a professional and meet with clients regularly, my appearance is very important. I called your store on Monday to see about getting replacement frames when mine broke. And it took until THURSDAY AFTERNOON for you idiots to tell me you couldn't get them for me. That's 3 full days when I could have been pursuing frames from another vendor. Never once did you all call me to give me an update; I had to keep calling you guys to get any feedback. Even today, I called at 11:20, talked to some woman who told me they would call the manufacturer and find out where the order was and that she would call me back.. AND THEN SHE NEVER DID. I had to call back to find out what the hell was going on. This is, I swear to God, the rudest, least caring, most inept customer service that I have experienced in years. You all should go home tonight and be ashamed of your ability to do any kind of customer work and all of you consider tendering your resignations.

I am posting negative reviews on every website I can find, and I intend to call Dr C**** and telling him what I think of the retail operations. I have enjoyed being a patient of Dr C****'s for a number of years but now I am looking for a new optometrist -- I have no intention of ever doing business with you hapless retards ever again.

In case you are still in denial, let's review the chronology, shall we?

1. I call your office about 5:15 Monday afternoon to say that my glasses are broken and that I need replacement frames ASAP. I said I was unconcerned about the warranty or about the money, but that time was of paramount importance. 20-20s response was "we'll have to put the order in in the morning" because it was after 5.

2. I heard nothing from 20-20 and finally called to ask what was going on on Tuesday afternoon. I was told "we're still waiting for the rep to call us back". I re-emphasized, again, the urgent nature of my request -- and that I was willing to pay whatever it would take to get this taken care of -- just get it done. I also said that I could find the frames on the internet, order them myself, and just bring them in to get the lenses swapped out if that would be faster. Instead, I was told that you all would speak with the manufacturer directly and get this taken care of.

3. Later Tuesday I got a call saying the order was being placed and that you needed my credit card number before you would make the order. I gave it to you even though the price was quite a bit higher than what I saw on the internet. I just wanted to get this done and fast. However, by this time it was so late in the day on Tuesday, you said you may not get the glasses on Wednesday and it might slip til Thursday morning (keep in mind that I initially tried to get this done on Monday, so it's not my fault that it was "too late in the day" on Tuesday).

4. I hear nothing from you on Wednesday.

5. I hear nothing from you on Thursday. Finally, at 11:20, I call on my own initiative to ask what the hell is going on. At this point I am expecting to come into your offices to get my lenses swapped out any minute. Instead, I talked to some woman who said "let us call you back in a little bit, we are pursuing this with the manufacturer right now." I then went on to inform the woman that the incompentent bumbling of your office was making me one very upset customer and that I really was counting on them to rectify my problem for me rather than making it worse.

6. More than two hours pass and, incredibly, would you believe it -- no one calls me back! Finally I call you guys, again, and am immediately told that I can get a refund. GET A REFUND? what the hell?!?!? the whole week I have been telling you people that time was of the essence and then you people fart around for days and then tell me you can't help me? On what planet is that acceptable? It's slipshod, incompetent, bumbling, idiotic customer service is what it is. And I'm gonna shout it to the world brother.

To top this all off, now, apparently you monkeys have ALREADY CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD for the frames you were never able to provide to me, and you need me to CALL YOU BACK so I can get a refund? What a bunch of retards you people are. It's a wonder you can even brush your own teeth.

My family and I have been regular clients of your offices for years. My daughters' contacts, my glasses and eye exams. We are all going to find another provider. It's a real shame, because I was a satisfied customer until this week. I was willing and able to pay higher prices for your services. I liked doing business with a F****** operation. If only the respect I showed you would have been returned.

Tom Az

HowToDisappear
11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Wow. That letter is harsh.

In my experience, unless the optometrist has your specific frames in stock, it takes a week or two for them to get from the manufacturer. And they do charge for them first. This also holds true for orders from internet discounters (even if they claim they're in stock, they're not - they do the same thing as the B&M stores). We have expensive frames that we found at a considerably less cost on the internet, and we had to wait weeks for them.

Granted, your optometrist should have explained from the get-go that they were unable to fulfill your request. That was wrong of them, and sloppy customer service on their part. But bellowing that they're all retards and need to tender their resignations is completely uncalled for.

Hope you find the glasses you like and look all handsome for the clients again soon.

miscorrections
11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think I would ever call a customer service rep a retard.

TomAz
11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
TomAzhole.

But if they had told me on Tuesday, "we don't have these in stock, we need to order and that will take time" that would have been totally fine. It's the jerking me around for 3 days, taking my credit card number, charging my card, and THEN telling me they couldn't fulfill the order that set me off.

And they're totally retards. They couldn't focus on a thought for more than 30 seconds without slobbering into their drool bib.

miscorrections
11-18-2011, 08:36 AM
The funny thing is that letter sounds exactly like something my dad would bellow into the phone if he were really pissed off at customer service.

miscorrections
11-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Middle-aged white guys. Just can't tell you apart.

TomAz
11-18-2011, 09:10 AM
You just wait.

JustSteve
11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
until she's a middle aged white man?

mountmccabe
11-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Tom, this likely does little good now and would've helped in this specific case (they don't do rush shipping) and you may know about them but try Zenni Optical (http://www.zennioptical.com/). I do not plan on ever buying glasses at an Optometrist again.

Their glasses start at $6.95, frames and lenses. I ordered from them and got two pairs, one with polycarbonate lenses and anti-reflective coating (which would've been a $70 add-on at Nationwide Vision) and another as sunglasses (with an 80% Grey tint) for about $50.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
because I am basically blind, in the those siutations where my frames have broken (which is way too often) I seriously can't wait and have bought new glasses from lenscrafters multiple times because the 1-hour turnaround really is worth the expensive glasses in an emergency.

i really need to start having backup pairs. i can walk out of Costco with glasses for under $100, but holy shit looks liuke I need to check out john's site there.

miscorrections
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM
That site is making me want to buy alllllllll the crazy frames.

TomAz
11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
We have expensive frames that we found at a considerably less cost on the internet, and we had to wait weeks for them.

I ordered the frames I need yesterday, after the optometrist office told me they couldn't do it, from some place I found on the internet (99.6% approval rating on eBay!). Frames supposed to arrive Monday or Tuesday. And of course if I'd known I needed to do this earlier this week, they'd be arriving yesterday or today and I'd be all set. Instead I have to go around with my superglued frames hanging catawampus on my face for a few more days.

TomAz
11-18-2011, 12:05 PM
So I just got a call from the Director at the corporate office in Tempe of 20-20. I got (1) an apology for their having mishandled all this (2) a recognition that they should have understood that I was facing a "911" with the broken glasses (3) an offer to make me a pair of glasses for free, no charge. I accepted the offer, but what was the biggest relief was the notion that someone in charge saw my email and took my side. She even said it (this example, though I doubt not the actual email) was going to go into their training program now.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-18-2011, 12:09 PM
It would be amazing though if they had your letter up on a big screen and told people, "these are the kinds of letters we hope to avoid."

Also, how is replacing broken eyeglasses NOT a "911," ever? I can barely walk in a straight line without mine on, let alone drive to work or complete important tasks.

HowToDisappear
11-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Happy now, Tom?

jackstraw94086
11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
The funny thing is that letter sounds exactly like something my dad would bellow into the phone if he were really pissed off at customer service.

I've saved myself literally thousands of dollars simply by being a jerk on the phone. Once you realize it's these people's jobs to handle this stuff then it's very easy to rationalize. Plus it's the main reason the guy on the other end of the phone even has a job.

Or you could be very sweet and pleasant and actually pay for things like out of warranty replacements and HBO.

mountmccabe
11-18-2011, 12:43 PM
That site is making me want to buy alllllllll the crazy frames.

DO IT

I am considering getting a third pair. I could use a winter pair of glasses!

amyzzz
11-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I actually need new glasses rather desperately. I opted to get contact lenses last year instead of glasses, but the contacts didn't work out and I need that newer prescription in glasses, or another eye examination entirely. My current glasses don't work as well anymore. :(

Courtney
11-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh hey. I forgot to update this with the rest of my results because I got bored. But mostly it was unnoteworthy.

On the plus side, I did get a pretty killer new pair of $350 boots in exchange for some old broken shoes. And Apple offered me a new iPhone, but I decided to go Android instead because I never want to see the inside of another Apple retail store ever ever again.

Courtney
11-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh! And I also now have a Delta Air Lines voucher worth $106.77. Time to book some travel, I guess.

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I read your entire thread just because I love receiving real letters so much that I was reading your responses as if I received them :) Hehe.

You are so awesome, Courtney. I'm really impressed with Hertz because of your story.

shakermaker113
11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Courtney, write a complaint letter to Barbara, right now.

herro kitty
11-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Why not an infatuation letter? :( Or a letter with samples. Hehehe.

Courtney
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Aw Barb. I love writing letters a lot! I have an old pink Olympia SM7 typewriter that I like to pull out when I corresponding with friends and family. My little sister has been in the peace corps for the past two years, and I type out a litter to her pretty much every week.

You should PM me your address!

herro kitty
11-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Aww ok!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Yay! I'm so excited!

mmsk123
11-28-2011, 07:13 AM
I actually need new glasses rather desperately. I opted to get contact lenses last year instead of glasses, but the contacts didn't work out and I need that newer prescription in glasses, or another eye examination entirely. My current glasses don't work as well anymore. :(

Ask your doctor for your prescription. Then go to zennioptical.com and buy like 3 pairs of glasses for $100.

Starraven
09-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm going to try to take on U.S. Airways..

My flight home was a nightmare. There were about 4 or 5 flights all delayed in a row (which is the airport *cough*JFK*cough*/traffic controller's fault) but goddamn if U.S. Airways didn't keep us in the dark so the everyone didn't cancel their flights and ask for their monies back. Pretty much my whole plane missed their connecting flight from Phoenix to L.A. causing us all to have to monies on a hotel at PHX. (No, they did not comp us a hotel..) I'm going to explain politely that keeping everyone in the dark about something that was obviously going to cause everyone to pay out of pocket for a hotel wasn't exactly the right thing to do. And also the entire time there was only 1 lady at the ticketing counter with 2 gates of 4 flights of people just chillin' in a room standing and waiting to get some info. The lady didn't even bother to make announcements about the delays and cancellations. Right.. just let us figure it out, wait it out, until it's too late to do something about it.

I swear to god the room was packed with 100+ angry ass people and I was just there smiling and humming and... I felt really out of place. I knew there wasn't anything I could do at that moment and I know the airline probably won't respond to my complaint so.. Why drive myself and everyone around me crazy? No reason to hold that much anger. If my "strongly worded letter" doesn't do anything.. I'll just do my best not to fly that airline, again no biggie.

Courtney, I would like to ask your opinion/advice on how I should go about this? Thank you! (Anyone else is more than welcome to give advice or just call me names if u gwant to..)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh, I had something that i meant to post here but I never did. I bought Cooper tires about 7 months ago and they had a promotional deal for Hollywood bowl tickets. I had misread the card about the amount of vouchers I thought I would get, and felt the language was misleading. i wrote the following e-mail:

To whom it concerns,

I wanted to alert you that the language in the mail-in redemption card for your Hollywood Bowl tickets deal is confusing and misleading. On the mail-in card found in stores, the offer says "2 vouchers for 4 tickets to any 2 of the following shows," which sure makes it sound like the offer is for a total of 8 tickets. This language is changed significantly in the letter I received with my ticket vouchers, but it's not what was advertised to me when I purchased my tires.

To avoid further confusion and unhappy customers, you may want to revise this language and more carefully check before literature is printed in future promotions.

Thanks,

Andrew Meisner

Almost immediately after, within like 5 minutes 9and this was after 8pm) i got this response:

Andrew:

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I am mailing you two more vouchers for your trouble. I appreciate the fact that you reached out to me.

I have also attached the artwork that we used for the promotion ... are these the forms you are referring to?

If so, they do say "receive 2 vouchers for four complimentary reserved bench seat tickets to any one of the following concerts" .... I have also checked a hard copy of the form and it appears to be the same. Based on this information, I will insure that there was not an alternative form for point of sale materials sent out ...

Thanks again for the help and enjoy whichever show you choose, the seats you'll end up getting will be very good seats <if you can, redeem them soon to insure the best seats>.

And I ended up with 2 more vouchers in the mail not 2 days later! Pretty awesome. it was also a great promotion as the tickets were very good. i ended up with 8 tickets that would have retailed about $0-60 each.

Starraven
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow that's sweeeeet Drinkey. I hope I get an ending like that!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, it seems like all Airlines nowadays have the worst fucking customer service possible and will do everything to not admit any wrongdoing. I wish you luck!

As for my situation, i was totally blown away with that customer service and would totally recommend Cooper Tires to anyone. They were also the cheapest possible option for what seemed like decent quality tires at the time, so i was going to buy them regardless of any promotional offers.

miscorrections
09-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, airlines are bastards. I wouldn't hold your breath.

EastLos01
09-20-2012, 08:10 AM
I have a question about tickets that hopefully someone can help me with... I purchased 2 tickets a couple months back and was charged 12.50 shipping charge. Fine no problem, but the following day I made two more transactions and each also charged me a seperate 12.50 for shipping. I figured fuck it, I shoulda bought all my tickets at the same time. But when I received them in the mail, they all arrived in the same envelope. Am I the only one that finds something wrong with that? Has this happened to anyone before and have you been able to get the shipping charges refunded?

Thx in advance for any and all help.

PlayaDelWes
09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Some airlines do it better. This entire chat took about 45 seconds:

http://i49.tinypic.com/293kcye.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a question about tickets that hopefully someone can help me with... I purchased 2 tickets a couple months back and was charged 12.50 shipping charge. Fine no problem, but the following day I made two more transactions and each also charged me a seperate 12.50 for shipping. I figured fuck it, I shoulda bought all my tickets at the same time. But when I received them in the mail, they all arrived in the same envelope. Am I the only one that finds something wrong with that? Has this happened to anyone before and have you been able to get the shipping charges refunded?

Thx in advance for any and all help.

I need more information. Why do you keep choosing that shipping option? How are they being shipped? Where is this from? Are you certain this is a shipping charge and not some other service fee?

amyzzz
03-20-2013, 02:13 PM
My Kindle Paperwhite broke this morning -- the screen shows gibberish except the bottom inch which shows my actual screen. I did an online chat with Kindle Support and they are shipping me out a new Kindle for free to arrive THIS Friday! I am really impressed with that kind of customer service. I am to ship my broken Kindle back to them in a package they will provide with the new Kindle.

insbordnat
03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
There is a reason Amazon is one of the most liked companies.

vogina
03-20-2013, 11:57 PM

You could possibly get an easy and near to nothing in cost eye exam/prescription from a local optometry school. They are always in need of eyeballs to practice with. That is where I get mine (prescriptions not eyeballs). I then go online and find some offers on lenses and frames. Give that a shot.

xuclarockerx
03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
In college I used to be obsessed with Brach's Gummi Bears sold at Wal-Mart:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3450785575_73d5c046aa.jpg

One day I came across a gummi shaped not as a bear, but as the logo for Hot Wheels.

http://1-64th-model-minis.wikispaces.com/file/view/hot-wheels-logo.jpg/67353361/hot-wheels-logo.jpg

Although I figured it had to be some kind of manufacturing error, I was intrigued and decided to call customer service on the off-chance this was some kind of Golden Ticket (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ticket). I recorded the conversations (there were two) and for whatever reason they ended up mailing me out Brach's gift certificates. That was a nice touch. I need to re-listen to those recordings.

amyzzz
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
You could possibly get an easy and near to nothing in cost eye exam/prescription from a local optometry school. They are always in need of eyeballs to practice with. That is where I get mine (prescriptions not eyeballs). I then go online and find some offers on lenses and frames. Give that a shot.You responded to a post from two years ago btw.

vogina
03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
You responded to a post from two years ago btw.

Well. Umm. Uhhhhhh... ... How's life been since then?

fatbastard
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Better late than never.

vogina
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Better late than never.

^^ Haven't seen you in forever. Our losing weight turned into Fitchella. Pioneers being outgunned.

PlayaDelWes
09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Here's an email I received last Monday from the manager of a customer service rep who has not been responsive. The manager promises to reach out to me "next week". Since today is the last day of "next week", should I email or call today or wait until NEXT week to do so?

Thank you for your email. I will speak with Jane and I can assign you to another service rep if you prefer just let me know. I will look into finding a less intrusive solution to your seating situation and will touch base you next week. In the meantime, I apologize that you had a problem with Jane while we can’t solve every problem there is no excuse for not returning calls and staying on top of service issues, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Best Regards,
Manager Lady

Excerpt of my letter sent to Manager Lady

It is very irritating and I wish that over the course of the last six years, something could be done about this. I’ve discussed with Jane on multiple occasions including:
• Personal Letter sent in May 2007
• Follow-up phone calls and notes in upgrade season renewals
• In-Person conversations as late as the 2012-13 season
• Personal Letter sent in May 2013
• Email sent in 2013
• Latest phone conversation on September 3, 2013
None of these times I reached out to Jane, did I receive a follow-up from her. Instead, my personal letters were ignored in the form-letters sent in August indicating inability to improve our current seat location, my in-person and voice conversations were received with a kind ear, but no plan or commitment to see what could be done, and the few emails I’ve sent were not responded to.

TomAz
09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Wes, the answer very clearly is, the Lakers don't give two shits about you, and so you shouldn't give two shits about them either.

PlayaDelWes
09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Tom, this is in regards to my Sparks tickets.

marooko
09-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Wes, the answer very clearly is, the Sparks don't give two shits about you, and so you shouldn't give two shits about them either.

See above.

Archie Bunker
09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Wes (and anyone else), e-mail customer service is absolutely horrible, and should be avoided.

This is because it allows the person on the receiving end to quickly and easily dismiss you, without any kind of stress or urgent need to resolve the problem. E-mail is the passive-aggressive customer service rep's wet dream come true.

You should always use the telephone option for customer service (ESPECIALLY complaints), unless that option is not made available to you.

Not surprisingly, "Manager Lady" has not called you, because you are not on her mind. She fired off a completely insincere e-mail (trust me that she said absolutely nothing to Jane about it, except perhaps to casually mention that you complained), and it's pretty much over for her. She has other things on her mind now. Unfortunately, customer service reps are like dogs. They respond if you are yelling at them, and learn if you made an impact at some point, but they generally live in the moment and don't think about what happened last week.

You should DEFINITELY call her today. The chance that she calls you next week (or ever) is very low. In general, very few customer service reps ever call you back, anyway. That's one of the biggest customer service problems of this day.

If necessary, get a hold of Manager Lady's boss if you are not getting satisfaction from her.

If you are looking for some kind of seat upgrade out of them, I would use this (and past bad experiences) as ammunition to get what you want, and in fact perhaps you can stretch a free or discounted upgrade out of it.

When you are wronged by customer service reps in some way, there are three things you should do:

1) Get a hold of someone who can actually solve the problem.

2) Express enough outrage to where you receive some sort of compensation for the trouble you went through.

3) If you feel that you were treated in some sort of malicious fashion, or if you were ignored to the point where it became disrespectful, you should make sure that someone with the power to discipline that employee hears the story.

Good luck.

PlayaDelWes
09-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks Archie. I called and got it taken care of. I didn't get more than I deserved, but the issue is resolved with what they thought was a sacrafice on our part, but wasn't really. It was a very hard problem for the Lakers to figure out. For the last 6 years there was a single seat behind us in row 3 and a single seat to our right in row 2. Our personal space has been in the line of discussion, reach, popcorn sharing, beer spilling, and yelling between the pairs who sit there each game (they are not season ticket holders). During this time, not a single seat all the way around the arena in rows 1-3 has turned-over, so there has been no opportunity to shift anyone around.

They've been trying to reach STHs in row 3 to shift them around, but can't reach them. Instead, we volunteered to shift over one seat away from center court; something our rep could have and should have done for us years ago.

TomAz
09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
You should always use the telephone option for customer service (ESPECIALLY complaints), unless that option is not made available to you.

Absolutely agree. If you want to get it down in writing, then you can write an email or letter after the call, but the call is what will get shit done.

Archie Bunker
09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks Archie. I called and got it taken care of. I didn't get more than I deserved, but the issue is resolved with what they thought was a sacrafice on our part, but wasn't really. It was a very hard problem for the Lakers to figure out. For the last 6 years there was a single seat behind us in row 3 and a single seat to our right in row 2. Our personal space has been in the line of discussion, reach, popcorn sharing, beer spilling, and yelling between the pairs who sit there each game (they are not season ticket holders). During this time, not a single seat all the way around the arena in rows 1-3 has turned-over, so there has been no opportunity to shift anyone around.

They've been trying to reach STHs in row 3 to shift them around, but can't reach them. Instead, we volunteered to shift over one seat away from center court; something our rep could have and should have done for us years ago.

Interesting. Sounds like you came up with a good solution...

... BUT I am wondering why you didn't ask for something for all your trouble here -- like some money off your season purchase ticket this year, free food vouchers, or whatever they give as compensation to wronged customers. Frequently all you need to do is first make a speech about your hardship, and then ask if anything can be done for you because of everything you went through. They are often empowered with some sort of "peace offering" they can easily give. So, like if they have a giant coupon book of $50 food vouchers, they won't mind ripping one out and sending it to you.

You shouldn't feel guilty about asking for this when put through hell from a customer service standpoint, because some of the price of your tickets are actually paying for good customer service, and you didn't receive that.

scenicworld
12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rnQZJcz.jpg

algunz
12-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Hahaha!

Starraven
04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Got a great deal on a wireless router. I emailed Newegg and told them how much I needed one, how low the price was, and how awesome their free shipping is (tracking# says my router will arrive at my doorstep tomorrow), and how long I've been a customer of theirs. Got this email in return.

Thank you for contacting Newegg. Please know that we honestly strive to ensure that all our customers are completely satisfied with each and every purchase at Newegg. Thus, your kind words and commendation is a pleasant indicator that we have achieved this goal.

If you have had a pleasant Newegg experience, we would like to extend a special invitation to you to post an online review about your experience. Any positive experiences you share would be greatly appreciated. As you may or may not know, one of our most important resources in obtaining new customers is word-of-mouth on the internet. When current patrons, such as yourself, post positive Newegg experiences on sites, you greatly increase our chances of acquiring new customers.

Feel free to use Reseller Ratings to leave a review: www.ResellerRatings.com

We certainly appreciate your support and patronage and I've generated an order to have a Newegg gift sent out to you. This is the least we can do to express our appreciation for your support!

Thanks again for writing and have a pleasant day! =)

Newegg Customer Service

Once you know, you Newegg.

TomAz
04-03-2014, 01:37 PM
that's a seriously bad tagline.

Starraven
04-03-2014, 01:44 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img819/6260/kgc4.png